TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Monday Night Football!

Guest Vitamin X

Or soon actually. I can't wait for this fucking game. Too damn excited to finally see the Green & Gold back in action. Here's a preview for tonight's game:

Nobody took the Carolina Panthers seriously before last season. Despite last year's run to the Super Bowl, the Panthers believe they still have some doubters.

They'll set out to prove the second winning season in franchise history wasn't a fluke when they kick off their campaign against the visiting Green Bay Packers on Monday night.

``Nobody is scared of us,'' Panthers defensive tackle Brentson Buckner said. ``That's just the way it is. It's on us to prove we should be taken seriously every year and I don't see why we can't do that.''

Carolina was 2003's surprise team by advancing to the Super Bowl, where the Panthers nearly pulled off a stunning upset before falling 32-29 to the New England Patriots.

The Panthers had just one winning season (1996) before last year, but coach John Fox is out to prove he's put together a group capable of sustaining its success during Carolina's 10th anniversary season.

Carolina, however, must adjust to some changes on both offense and defense.

The offensive line has been completely overhauled, with the changes evident during the preseason with Carolina's inability to open up running room for backs Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster. Davis, who ran for a career-high 1,444 yards last season, will be hard-pressed to find the big holes he rushed through last year until the line begins to come together.

Carolina will lean heavily on its key offensive players, Davis, quarterback Jake Delhomme and receiver Steve Smith.

The defensive line, the heartbeat of Carolina's vaunted defense, has also been thinned by injuries to key backups. However, it will be bolstered by the return of linebacker Mark Fields, who missed all of last season battling Hodgkin's disease. An emotional leader, Fields has been elected a team captain. One of the fastest linebackers in the league, he'll undoubtedly help the pass rush.

Defensive end Julius Peppers was held back by double- and triple-teams last season, which allowed Mike Rucker to have a career year. But with Fields back, both ends will have more room to roam.

It's imperative for the line to stay healthy. A year ago, Al Wallace and Shane Burton were relied on heavily to fill in. But Burton (knee) is out for the year, as is backup Kavika Pittman.

The secondary, Carolina's obvious weakness last year, has also been wiped out as safety Mike Minter is the only returning starter. Rookie Chris Gamble may start, and second-year cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. will also be a regular. Teams picked on Gamble during the preseason, and aside from a three-interception game against Philadelphia in the NFC championship, he's still a big question mark.

Despite the changes, the Panthers believe they are right back in familiar territory, written off by the competition as one-year wonders and incapable of repeating the success of last season.

``People still think it was a fluke,'' All-Pro defensive tackle Kris Jenkins said. ``People still think we aren't real. People still think we don't have what it takes to win. It's kind of insulting in a way.

Green Bay was a few breaks away from meeting Carolina in the NFC Championship game, but lost 20-17 to Philadelphia in the divisional round.

The Packers will again field a potent offense with quarterback Brett Favre, running back Ahman Green and one of the best offensive lines in the league. Wide receivers Javon Walker and Robert Ferguson are young and improving.

Green, though, was withheld from the Packers' exhibition finale at Tennessee on Friday night because of a sore knee. So, the offensive line, with its five starters playing together for the first time in the preseason, didn't get to block for the All-Pro running back.

The offense struggled in the preseason, turning the ball over seven times in the last two games.

``If you eliminate the turnovers we've had in the last two weeks I think I'd be fairly pleased with where we are,'' Packers coach Mike Sherman said. ``But you can't look the other way on turnovers because they are such a factor in every ballgame and they determine winning and losing ballgames.''

Green Bay has been without holdout cornerback Mike McKenzie. Rookie Ahmad Carroll will start in his place. The Packers aren't sure whether McKenzie will report now that he'll start missing his weekly $160,000 paychecks, although he has reportedly been working out as though he's preparing to play.

Carroll, taken 25th overall in the April draft, has taken advantage of an injury to Michael Hawthorne, who likely would have taken McKenzie's spot.

Thanks to injuries and McKenzie's holdout, Green Bay will enter the regular season without seeing its entire first-team offense or defense on the field together during training camp.

2003 STANDINGS: Packers - 1st place, NFC North. Panthers - 1st place, NFC South.

PACKERS LEADERS: Offense - Favre, 3,361 passing yards and 32 passing TDs; Green, 1,883 rushing yards and 15 rushing TDs; Donald Driver, 52 receptions; Walker, 716 receiving yards and 9 receiving TDs. Defense - Nick Barnett, 86 tackles; Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, 10 sacks; Darren Sharper, 5 INTs.

PANTHERS LEADERS: Offense - Delhomme, 3,219 passing yards, 19 passing TDs; Davis, 1,444 rushing yards and 8 rushing TDs; Smith, 88 receptions, 1,110 receiving yards and 7 receiving TDs. Defense - Mike Minter, 76 tackles; Rucker, 12 sacks; Deon Grant, Manning and Minter, 3 INTs.

2003 PACKERS TEAM RANK: Rushing Offense - 159.9 yards per game (3rd in NFL); Passing Offense - 202.5 ypg (16th); Total Offense - 362.4 ypg (4th). Rushing Defense - 106.3 ypg (10th); Passing Defense - 212.5 ypg (23rd); Total Defense - 318.8 ypg (17th).

2003 PANTHERS TEAM RANK: Rushing Offense - 130.7 yards per game (7th); Passing Offense - 190.6 ypg (18th); Total Offense - 321.3 ypg (16th). Rushing Defense - 107.6 ypg (11th); Passing Defense - 187.7 ypg (9th); Total Defense - 295.3 ypg (8th).

LAST MEETING: Sept. 29, 2002; Packers, 17-14. At Green Bay, Wisc., Driver had five catches for 97 yards and two touchdowns for Green Bay.

STREAKS AND NOTES: Packers - Green Bay is 7-2 all-time against Carolina. ... QB Favre has started an NFL-record 190 straight games. ... Bubba Franks has 21 touchdowns since 2000, second only to Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez (32) among TEs. Panthers - Carolina's defensive line was second in the NFL with 32.5 sacks last season, six behind league leader Miami. ... P Todd Sauerbrun was second in the NFL with 44.6 yards per punt last season. ... Carolina is coming off its second consecutive undefeated preseason.

2003 ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Packers - 5-3 on the road; Panthers - 6-2 at home.

INJURIES: Packers - DOUBTFUL: DT Kenny Peterson (ankle/knee). QUESTIONABLE: LB Torrance Marshall (hamstring). PROBABLE: TE Steve Bush (rib); WR Donald Driver (ankle); RB Green (knee); CB Michael Hawthorne (back); CB Jason Horton (hip). Panthers - QUESTIONABLE: G Tutan Reyes (ankle).

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I picked the Packers to win because of Carolina's young and suspect secondary that are going to totally ignore the big man open over the center. Favre's going to pick them apart with screens and drop bombs on them. I hope they lose though, because I've already lost my picks this week.

I need Ahman Green to do horrible, and Donald Driver to do incredible. I also need Mushin Mohammed to do great. Too much riding on the line. Oh yeah, and Longwell to miss some kicks.

Guest GreatOne

Shit, that ain't bad. Looks like a 2-0 start may be out of the question, but we got the fucking 49ers and then the bye week afterwards. All is not lost.

Crap. Hopefully Shaun Alexander misses one game, most, or i'm going to try and deal him off soon to somebody who doesn't know he's out for atleast 2 games. I just hope Stephen Jackson gets enough playing time, since he's my only RB Sub.

Carolina's secondary is very overrated, and was successful last year due to the constant pressure caused by the front four. If Green Bay can give Favre time, he will find open receivers. I picked Green Bay to upset the Panthers. Since my Skins won this week, I can watch this game with excitement and with a smile on my face, EXCEPT......I have class tonight...LOL. So I will be following it at school on the computer.... :)

I have only lived in North Carolina for a month, but I'll be cheering for the Panthers tonight and the rest of the year. I am a bit conflicted though. I have Steve Smith and my fantasy opponent has Stephen Davis, we are within 2 of each other going into tonight. So, here's hoping that the Pack jumps out to a 21 point lead and Delhomme and Smith lead the Panthers to a huge comeback.

Hey, I can dream.

Charles Rogers is out for the season.

SHEEEEEEYIT.

Overall, I'm in quite a conundrum - in one league, I'm behind by 30 points, with Brett Favre and Robert Ferguson left to play. In another league, however, I'm ahead by 30 points and my opponent has Favre.

So, let's say 250 yards and 2 TDs (one to Ferguson).

What about the Packers secondary? No Mike McKenzie and a strong Carolina running game will let Delhomme open it up via play action, and I don't see Caroll covering Smith or Muhammad well. The Pack offense is strong, but so is the Carolina offense.

For KKK's Pick'em League: I need Green Bay to win or be within 3 points.

TSM Keeper League: I need Favre (for only one week), and Green to show up and produce. And Muhammad not to kill me.

TSM Meat Madness League: I just need Steve Smith not to kill me.

Other Keeper League: Meh. I doubt I can lose it.

Of course, I was rooting Green Bay regardless.

And so far it looks like running ain't going to work in this game.

He wasn't touched, so he got the extra yards.

Fuck! Favre for getting sacked. He's costing me points in the Keeper League. I'm so glad I traded him.

...yeah, you heard right. He's not on my team after week 1 fellas.

He wasn't touched, so he got the extra yards.

Fuck! Favre for getting sacked. He's costing me points in the Keeper League. I'm so glad I traded him.

...yeah, you heard right. He's not on my team after week 1 fellas.

Favre will get me major points next week when the Packers play the Lions next week. :headbang:

I like Favre better then the walking injuried MVP McNair.

Davenport has a hurt hammy so this is not good for the Packers.

You sure about that?

10-7 Green Bay on a run by Green. And I just beat Gibbs Disciple baring Muhammad having a huge game.

And yes, I realized who Farve was playing against next week and cried, but I need a second back, so I'll just suck it up.

Favre will get me major points next week when the Packers play the Lions next week.

Which would be great except they are playing the Bears...not that it makes any difference.

Maybe I will get lucky and get a blocked kick for a TD next week.

Guest Vitamin X

Two turnovers for the Panthers. I am SO sick and fucking tired of hearing about Carolina being so great and Green Bay just having Favre. Y'know there are 52 other players on that team as well.

Slow start for Green Bay's defense, but the secondary has held up. Pass defense is the least important aspect of football, in my opinion, especially if you have a strong running game, which Green Bay does have. The only thing that concerns me is the speed of the Carolina receivers, but Delhomme has been completely fucking ambushed by the BLITZ! BLITZ! BLITZ!

Green Bay's D is like the new Philly D. BLITZ! BLITZ! BLITZ!

Hey Vitamin X. It works.

17-7 and Ahman Green's back in and hopefully he gets me more points.

And if they hold Steve Smith to less than 20 fantasy points, I also win my game against Pawtucket Patriots in the Meat Madness League.

GO PACKERS GO!

Guest Vitamin X

Make that 24-7. Favre keeps the consecutive TD game streak alive, with a pass to Green.

And they're really making that asinine MNF Countdown team look foolish. Everyone predicted a wn for Carolina.

Well, game isn't over yet. Let's hope they keep it up.