TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fanofcoils

IMax

Guest fanofcoils

I find IMax to be the most entertaining out of Around the Horn, PTI, and it. Longer arguments than Around the Horn, and judged on who won the argument instead of points. PTI the hosts tend to always agree and tend not to go with a controversial opinion just a generic sportswriter opinion. So what do you think of IMax before praising PTI?

I hate Max Kellermen. It might have a great format, but I won't watch it just because of him. He's so obnoxious.

I like Around the Horn with Statboy, call me crazy. PTI is still my favorite, but only with Tony and Wilbon.

Guest Smues

PTI rules with the original hosts, put in Lebetard and I wanna shoot myself. Around the Horn is better off with Stat boy then Max (as long as Woody Paige is around the show is gold). IMax is terrible, and it's a shame Holly left ATH for it.

I've only watched IMax a couple of times... moreso because it's on a bad time for me than because I may think it's a bad show.

ATH is on and off, depending on who is on and who is fighting who. Woody vs. Jay is always good. Plaschke annoys me though with his lisp and old-man conservatism.

As said before, PTI is only good with at least one of the original hosts on... when both Tony and Mike are gone, it's just disastrous.

What is wrong with Dan LeBatard?

If Stephen A. Smith had a clone and was white it would be SKip Bayless and Dan LeBatard. All three are annoying, don't really have a point, and when they do they support stupid ideals like supporting steriod use.

I usually watch all 3 shows these days. PTI is still the best of the shows when Kornheiser and Wilbon are on...when they covered the Olympics or were on vacation the show was less than inspired.

I, Max is probably the least of the shows in quality (hell after the other two shows I'm kinda tired of the same topics..it gets stale) but you gotta laugh at Max pausing Michael Holly all the time. Cracks me up.

Guest Smues
What is wrong with Dan LeBatard?

That's a joke right? A better question might be what is NOT wrong with him? I swear he goes out of his way to be annoying. And he knows people hate him, so he plays into it and just makes it worse. I swear everytime he says musty and nostalgic I feel my iq drop a couple points.

Like him or not, and I don't. It seems like Max Kellerman wins most of the debates against Holly. Another annoying thing on IMax is Bill Wolff's phoney sounding announcer voice.

Speaking of ESPN. Just saw Kevin Frazier on Entertainment Tonight. Any news if he was fired or left on his own accord?

Edited by Vern Gagne

I would have voted for PTI in a heartbeat a year ago, but the show has just about jumped the shark, with CONSTANT fill-ins (how many vacations can these guys have?) and mediocre argumentation when one of the guys is even there.

All three of them tend to suck - I guess PTI sucks the least, just based on track record. Frighteningly enough, I'd give I, Max the second place nod over Around the Horn, which was pretty bad even when Kellerman was still hosting.

I've grown tired of these shows. Its just shouting and more shouting nowadays. I'd like to see a more intelligent point/counterpoint show, where the guests strive for more than just quoting tired cliches.

I agree with mod man!

All they do is yell at each other and make fun of one another and call each other names. There's very little sports debating in there. Plus because of the time natured of the show they're trying to get there points out as fast as possible and they can't seem to convey anything.

I, Max is probably the least of the shows in quality (hell after the other two shows I'm kinda tired of the same topics..it gets stale) but you gotta laugh at Max pausing Michael Holly all the time. Cracks me up.

That's exactly why I hate that show...Max's schtick of I'm always right and you're always wrong is old and tired, some of us would like to hear Holly's responses, ya know....hell his schtick was getting old on ATH, which is where Tony Reali is steadily heading to...I watch ATH but I'm pretty meh on it, and in agreement with everyone else, if Wilbon AND Kornheiser are on PTI, it's very watchable...

I've grown tired of these shows. Its just shouting and more shouting nowadays. I'd like to see a more intelligent point/counterpoint show, where the guests strive for more than just quoting tired cliches.

Yeah, just compare and contrast Tony and Wilbon from PTI when they first started to how they are now - Kornheiser has fully assumed the "loud old man" role and just about played it out.

Guest Salacious Crumb

All three shows suck now.

What is it with the ATH host turning into a dictator and muting/punishing guys for not agreeing with him on everything. Kellerman was horrible by the end of his run and Stat Boy is getting there really quickly. It's just turned into a shouting match.

PTI has been ruined by two things. Tony and Wilbon being separated for months on end kills the show. How could anyone watch the Bayless/Smith debacles during the summer? The second is Wilbon's growing race baiting. Someone needs to inform him that not everything has to do with the color of someone's skin.

I, Max is just crap to begin with. He's even worse than he was on ATH and the show just reeks of a fix. Kellerman is always overmatched in a debate but Wolf keeps it all close. Kellerman's Yankee love is annoying as HE ALWAYS brings them into any baseball discussion. I'll be stunned if he didn't bring Jorge Posada into the discussion about Fransico throwing a chair at the fans.

PTI sucks because Wilbon and Tony missed months is NOT a good arguement. It sucked when they weren't there, but it doesn't make the show itself suck. This happens every summer; not sure how many of you just started watching it this year. Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless were bad, but they were better than Jackie McMullen of last summer.

Summer is over, and Tony and Wilbon will be together until next June when they go on vacations again, so that argument has run its course and should be put to bed.

Guest Salacious Crumb

It's been bad for awhile though. Wilbon has missed a considerable amount of time this year. And it is a good argument. If it's obvious you can't pull a show off without the hosts then there's no excuse to have them apart for months at a time.

PTI sucks because Wilbon and Tony missed months is NOT a good arguement.

Actually it is a good argument in that it shows that the show can not survive without at least ONE of the two on the show plus the fact that TPTB have zero ability to properly replace the two when they are both on hiatus in order to keep viewer interest in the show.

Granted it can be argued that the show is purposely made to stink with the shitty fill-in hosts during the summer in order to insure that they don't upstage Wilbon and Tony, but even if that wasn't the case it doesn't excuse what has become a very noticable flaw in the show.

You both missed my point. It made the show terrible when it happened, but summer is over and now they are on just about every day for the next 9-10 months. So you can't say, PTI sucks because they aren't on. You COULD HAVE, but you can't anymore, because summer vacation season is over.

Basically, it's a valid, but old and outdated complaint. That's what I was trying to say.

Well, on I, Max I too would like to hear Michael Holly's responses, but it just cracks me up that Kellerman pauses him and Holly is always making some hilariously silly face.

I also didn't like the Bayless/Smith stuff on PTI, but the show seems to be back to normal.

Let's be honest about something though. The old school Sports Reporters with Dick Schaap bitchslaps all of these shows put together.

The sad thing about the Sports Reporters is it's still the same basic people that were there in the beginning with Schaap (Lupica, Bob Ryan, etc.), but they've all mutated into smarmy fuckheads who think they're 1000x funnier than they really are. (Hilarious, Mitch Albom, who used to be the premier smarmy fuckhead on that show, now seems to have the most class out of everybody whenever he occasionally shows up).

I think that may be a negative aspect of the PTI phenomenon - once these reporters turn into "TV celebrities", their journalistic credibility takes a back seat to marketing their personality.