TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

Went shopping in the US today...

A lot of it is from John Lott's study of FBI Statistics from 1977-1994. I'm not up for copying actual passages from the book (More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws ) at the moment, but it's a fairly good read. There are criticisms of his book, and a decent number of them can be found here. Their gun control page is pretty good at just looking at the facts as well.

Guest Olympic Slam

The gun issues are what turn me into a crazy militia man. We need guns to protect ourselves FROM the government.

Hitler's brown shirts would not have been able to cause as much havoc if the German people were able to defend themselves with more than just words.

So, you guys are saying I need a gun that fires 30 times in one clip to defend myself. Jesus, go shoot some target practice if you're that bad. After all, it's not like the semi-auto's that are now legal can't be easily turned into full automatics or anything.

Also, it doesn't matter that you have an Uzi...the military has an F-16.

Point in case as well on the bolded statement: did you know that every country that has issued a full weapons ban has had massive increases in crimes like assault, car-jackings, and other crimes of the same nature?

Seriously, you're putting forth crap you saw in Bowling for Columbine, and it's coming off even weaker than the film.

This reminds me of a story I read in 2001, about how an Australian man managed to fight and kill a burglar armed with an illegal gun only because he had a Japanese samurai sword and had been trained in how to use it.

So the ban didn't do anything to keep the robber from getting the gun, but the person being invaded had to resort to a samurai sword to protect himself.

And as we see in Iraq, Jesse, Tanks are SO good at oppressing a population.

You can only raze so many cities before becoming a really weak dictator...

Point in case as well on the bolded statement: did you know that every country that has issued a full weapons ban has had massive increases in crimes like assault, car-jackings, and other crimes of the same nature?

Seriously, you're putting forth crap you saw in Bowling for Columbine, and it's coming off even weaker than the film.

This reminds me of a story I read in 2001, about how an Australian man managed to fight and kill a burglar armed with an illegal gun only because he had a Japanese samurai sword and had been trained in how to use it.

So the ban didn't do anything to keep the robber from getting the gun, but the person being invaded had to resort to a samurai sword to protect himself.

THANK YOU. Do you really think that a guy committing armed robbery will care about the 90 day misdemenor for not having his gun registered?

Somewhat off-topic, but I don't want to commit a thread to this story.

OK, here's the incident I'm about to talk about:

Link

HARRISON -- The 55-year-old wife of a man being attacked in his Spruce Street house by an invader fatally shot her husband's assailant Monday night with a shotgun, police said.

While police would not name the people involved, a family spokesman identified the dead man as Ras Saleen Hudson, 20, and neighbors identified the Spruce Street resident as Leon Cash, 59.

Chief Michael Klein was uncertain if Cash or his wife would face charges in connection with the shooting, and declined to label the shooting as self-defense.

Klein said the incident happened about 9:30 p.m. at 107 Spruce St. in the Natrona section of the township when a 20-year-old man dressed in all black and wearing a Halloween mask forced his way into the house by pistol-whipping the homeowner.

The attacker demanded cash, Klein said.

Klein said the attacker was wielding a 9mm pistol, and that he struggled with his victim in the kitchen before the woman shot him once in the torso with a 12-gauge shotgun.

Klein would not name the man who was shot, the woman who shot him or her husband.

However, the Rev. Mitch Nickols, the pastor of the deceased, identified him as Hudson. Nickols was uncertain of where Hudson was living. Hudson's last known address, according to newspaper archives, was in Harrison.

The chief said that Cash's house was burglarized about two weeks ago by two men dressed in all black and wearing masks.

He said Hudson used a similar method in Monday's break-in but stopped short of calling him a suspect in the earlier incident.

Both Cash and Hudson have a criminal history.

In May 2003, Hudson was charged with a number of crimes after leading police on a high speed chase through Tarentum and Brackenridge.

The chase ended when the car he was driving ran into the back of a van carrying seven people.

In August 2003, police charged him with defiant trespass after he was seen in Sheldon Park in Harrison. He was not allowed to be in the Allegheny County Housing Authority complex.

In October 2002, Cash was arrested in a drug raid. He was arrested because he allegedly sold crack cocaine to undercover officer on four occasions.

In April, Cash was again arrested in a drug raid on charges of selling crack cocaine.

Meantime, Nickols said he was not surprised that Hudson was shot Monday, saying the man was having a hard time walking the straight-and-narrow.

But, Nickols said, Hudson was always respectful when the two were together.

"Every time I would see him, he would say, 'I'll see you in church on Sunday,'" Nickols said. "He treated me with the utmost respect."

"It's a shame," Nickols said. "This is another young life."

"A death has got to mean something. What's this going to mean to his friends?"

Several of Hudson's friends tried in vain to get access into the house after learning Hudson had been killed. Police turned them away.

More people lined Spruce Street on Monday night to mourn Hudson's death than show concern for Cash. Among the group was Hudson's mother, Antoinette Jones.

Nickols, who spoke on behalf of Hudson's family, said Hudson was the father of at least one child.

One Spruce Street resident said she saw Hudson about an hour before he was shot. She said Hudson waived to her.

Area residents expressed disgust with what they said is an increasing amount of violence in the area. Several Spruce Street residents said they planned to move as soon as possible.

Klein could not say when the last homicide took place in the township.

An Allegheny County coroner said an autopsy would be performed this morning on Hudson's body.

OK, now, at a local radio station today the bitch who was reading the top-of-the-hour headlines said that this lady TOOK THE LAW INTO HER OWN HANDS! Uh, WTF? What was she supposed to do? Say "Please stop that Mr. Robber?"

Hearing that really pissed me off for some reason, as well as the douche in the article saying this was "another young life." I'm glad he's dead...

Guest Shoes Head

You can own fully automatic weapons as long as they were in the country before the ban. And you can carry concealed weapons without any sort of a badge if you live in a dangerous area or have a dangerous profession (locksmiths for instance).

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'm sure plenty of people still have that machine gun around before the 1930s ban went into effect.

Guest CronoT
Forget the military take-over. I'm more worried about a hippie-takeover.

But then again, all I'd have to fire off is soap or job application forms...

Now, now. Let's keep things civil here. What I think the proponents of the assault weapons ban are talking about is that unless a World War or Armageddon or a Resident Evil-like zombie plague breaks out, having a personal AK-47 is overkill in the extreme.

Owning weapons isn't something that is needed in today's society, plain and simple.

Man, I have to laugh at this. I suppose it's because I live in the D.C. area. D.C. has pretty strict gun laws, but that doesn't stop us from having an incredibly high violent crime rate - I've lost track of the number of school shootings we've had this year. Word of advice to you tourists: don't ever go into South East - especially not after dark.

The second amendment, quite clearly, states that if you so wish to own a firearm, the government cannot take it away from you unless you are a convicted felon.

...where does it say that in the Constitution?

I don't believe it is in there - it's more than likely statutory law, no doubt reinforced with case law.

A lot of it is from John Lott's study of FBI Statistics from 1977-1994. I'm not up for copying actual passages from the book (More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws ) at the moment, but it's a fairly good read. There are criticisms of his book, and a decent number of them can be found here. Their gun control page is pretty good at just looking at the facts as well.

I would also recommend the following text, which was required reading for an undergrad class I took on firearms:

0202305694.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Targeting Guns: Firearms and Their Control by Gary Kleck. It's a bit dry to read at times, as Klecks spends significant portions of the book dissecting and disproving much of the research conducted on firearms, and this can get a little boring. But his own work is intriguing.

His conclusion is simple: the data shows that private ownership of guns DOES prevent crime. And for those who think Kleck's a conservative schill: he's a Democrat. A member, in fact, of the ACLU, as well as a host of other "liberal" groups such as Amnesty International, Independent Action, Democrats 2000, and Common Cause. But he approaches the data in an unbiased manner.

Guest TJH
The gun issues are what turn me into a crazy militia man. We need guns to protect ourselves FROM the government.

Hitler's brown shirts would not have been able to cause as much havoc if the German people were able to defend themselves with more than just words.

Bullshit. They would have turned their guns on the Jews.