TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spliffstar

2001: the Year of Rock?

Guest spliffstar

Now, based on sales numbers, last year marked a huge resurgence for rock as a genre, but was there anything worth a crap on the mainstream charts?

Seriously, I just don't understand how the following bands have one fan, much less millions.  Someone please explain why these bands sell records:

Creed

Linkin Park

Staind

Train

Incubus

Slipknot

Limp Bizkit

Mudvayne

Sum 41

Lifehouse

POD

Kid Rock

Nickleback

Puddle of Mudd

Disturbed

Drowning Pool

Now, my expectations of mainstream music aren't much, but I can only think of three rock bands (Radiohead, Tool, System of a Down) that acheived any mainstream sales last year that I thought were anyhting more than worthless drek.

Maybe I'm just too old to appreciate these modern rock bands, but in my eyes, they are as manufactured and irrelevent as all the Britneys and Backstreet Boys out there.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

If any of those bands were Rock bands...then maybe Rock would have returned.

Beleive it or not there was music prior to 1992.

Guest hardyz1

Let's see if I can help you a little bit:

Creed:  There's a lot of pop fans, and they are definitely mixing pop and rock

Linkin Park:  I must be the only one on Earth who thinks they're unique; Unfortunately, the same group of kids that like bands like Limp Bizkit also like LP, which annoys me

Staind:  Good rock band, Break the Cycle is a lot of depression music, though, and you know how the kids are these days

Train:  They just got that one big Adult Contemporary hit that sent them skyward

Incubus:  They're not too bad

Slipknot:  Angry 13 year olds

Limp Bizkit:  More angry 13 year olds

Mudvayne:  I don't know any of their stuff, but I'd guess it's even more angry 13 year olds

Sum 41:  In Too Deep is pretty good, but Fat Lip appealed to wannabe punks

Lifehouse:  See Creed

POD:  See Creed

Kid Rock:  Can't help you here

Nickleback:  Straightforward rock with good lyrics

Puddle of Mudd:  Three words, "Smack my ass."  Blurry is good, though

Disturbed:  Good, agressive rock

Drowning Pool:  Bodies had a catchy hook, plus the damn commercial that got overplayed

Guest Kinetic

The Britney fans have grown to be 15 or so now, and desperately require something a bit harder that won't deviate far from the mindless accesibility they've been forcefed their entire lives.  Take them, add about 50% of the world's fat, ponytail-wearing, "Ride the Lightning" t-shirt sporting RAWK(!) fans and you have the fanbase for this sort of music.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Creed: Any band with even a smidge of talent and a very marketable look will be successful. It's a rule. Bay City Rollers, anybody?

Linkin Park: See "Creed"

Staind: I guess hating yourself is IN this year!

Train: I don't see how these people are even together...

Incubus: I've never liked them aside from "New Skin."

Slipknot: Pissed-off teenagers.

Limp Bizkit: Pissed-off wiggaz.

Mudvayne: See "Slipknot."

Sum 41: They appeal to 14-year-olds that want to be punk, but Mommy won't buy them a Dead Kennedys CD.

Lifehouse: See "Train."

POD: See "Creed" and "Limp Bizkit."

Kid Rock: I actually like him...

Nickleback: Straightforward pop/rock. Of course it'll be successful!

Puddle of Mudd: Don't ask me...

Disturbed: Have you heard anything other than "Stupify," "Down With The Sickness," and Austin's theme? Otherwise, you'd see how the band could be successful. I took the time to listen to more than the radio hits, and I like them.

Drowning Pool: See "Slipknot." Though "Tear Away" is a good song...

Guest spliffstar

Well, I appreciate the input, and I understand how these bands are successful.  I guess my post is more of a lament that the powers that run the music industry won't try to push music that trys to innovate rather than the same big, dumb hooks that have been around forever.

Some of the bands I've mentioned have had a song or two that I appreciated (My Own Prison, a few Kid Rock tunes), but it seems to me that mainstream radio should have room for this stuff along with something more cerebral.

P.S.  to bps21...I do listen to music post-1992...some of the latest things on my playlist are Aesop Rock, Manu Chao, Badly Drawn Boy, Jay-Z Unplugged (any albumn with the Roots is bound to rock the house).  Definitely playing a lot of Beatles, though, so I will fess to an appreciation for a lot of music made after the grunge era, of which I was a big fan.

[Here's the edit part] Obviously didn't see exactly what you wrote...insomnia is such a bitch sometimes.

If any of those bands were Rock bands...then maybe Rock would have returned.

Beleive it or not there was music prior to 1992.

Bps what the fuck are you talkin bout????? You gone crazy again bro.

I know those bands but I don't wanna say shit till later.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Mudvayne is one of the most horrid bands I've heard in a long time. For every good part of a song, they ruin the flow by doing something completely stupid. See "Death Blooms" and "Nothing To Gein."

Incubus...I just can't stand them. Opinion-alone.

Guest Vyce

Creed:   Good look, good sound, and mainstream enough to be a crossover hit.

Linkin Park:  I actually like this band.  Unfortunately, as it was already stated, most of their fans seem to be the same idiots who love all thos nu-metal shit, so LP gets a bad rap.

Staind:  They're closely tied with Durst, so the lemmings like them alone for that.  Personally, I think they can be okay, but I'm not overly fond of them.

Train:  Big with top 40.  They have that sort of Hootie feel to them.  They'll probably be back into obscurity within a couple years.

Incubus:  I'm a big fan, actually.  Why are they so successful?  Good alternative rock for the helmets, and the clams think the lead singer is hot.  Money in the bank for them.  

Slipknot:  I don't get their popularity either.  Unless people enjoy the masks.

Limp Bizkit:  They're popular ONLY because the rock stations and MTV tell you that you should listen to them.  The sad thing is that there are many lemmings who will believe anything Carson Daly says.

Mudvayne:  Don't understand the fascination with them.

Sum 41:  Young pseudo-punk band.  The songs are catchy, and pretty light-hearted, so I'm sure that appeals to a lot of young listeners.

Lifehouse:  Soft rock.  There IS a market for this, somewhere.

POD:  Kind of rap / nu metal, which appeals to all of those idiots out there who appreciate Durst's music.

Kid Rock:  I will NEVER understand why this man has sold ONE record.  In my perfect world, he stays in the trailer park where he belongs.

Nickleback:  We all need at least one Canadian rock band!

Puddle of Mudd:  I'm not sure what the deal with them is.  They sound like all the other homogenized crap out there today.

Disturbed:  IMO, one of the best acts to come to the forefront in the past couple years.  I really dig their album "The Sickness".  In a sea of mediocrity, I think these guys are pretty good, and they do "hardcore" much better than any of the other pretenders out there currently.

Drowning Pool: The exact opposite of Disturbed.  No doubt the people who think they're badass for liking Disturbed will dig this shit.

Guest Innovator

Creed : Alright except for Stapp's desire to be Jesus in his videos

Linkin Park : Not bad - need to hear if they can pull off a second album that doesn't sound the same.

Staind : Music to slit your wrists by.

Train : Bluech. Record Company propoganda. Music by numbers.

Incubus : Don't 'get' them... are they rap, rock, funk? No, they're CRAP.

Slipknot : Don't get me started on this bunch of wasters. No wonder they wear masks, they're ashamed of themselves.

Limp Bizkit : 30-something wearing skate shorts and a back-to-front baseball cap singing to the kids about "My Generation"? riiiiiiiight...

Mudvayne - ooooo look scary people in make-up. Music? What's that?

Sum 41 - Good to see Green Day tribute bands can make it big. Not bad, but derivative.

Lifehouse : don't know a single thing about them.

POD : One hit wonders-to-be. Matt Hardy will be back in the WWF soon, so they lose their singer.

Kid Rock : Thought his bubble would have burst by now, but I actualyl quite like his new stuff.

Nickleback : The world's most boring band (but don't tell Chad) although I love the album.

Puddle of Mudd : First single's OK, but it's just Diet Nirvana crossed with Limp Papa Linkin Sum Bizkit Park Roach 41, innit?

Disturbed : Yes, they are.

Drowning Pool : Now I like them. Great vocalist.

Guest Madmartigan21

What pisses me off is when older bands release good albumns and "nu-metal" fans don't even give them a chance.  The result is a total lack of airplay of good material.

My favorite albumns from last year were "Beyond Good and Evil" by The Cult and "The World Needs a Hero" by Megadeth.  Both had what I thought were great singles in "Rise" and "Motopsycho".  There was definitely enough edge to appeal to modern listeners, while retaining what made the bands in the first place and not alienate their older fans.  Why in hell weren't they successful?

Guest TheyCallMeMark

Kid Rock: Kid Rock is awesome, it has nothing to do with this year, he's been arund forever.

Nickleback: These guys are actually pretty good. They're a rock band, but a pop rock band. JUst because people are kind of happy in their songs doesn't mean they suck.

Disturbed: Hell at least they're doing something different.

Guest hardyz1
Nickleback: These guys are actually pretty good. They're a rock band, but a pop rock band. JUst because people are kind of happy in their songs doesn't mean they suck.

I wouldn't say they're "happy" in their songs, just that they have music and lyrics that appeal to the mainsttream.

Guest hardyz1
I don't think "Too Bad" is a happy song.

Neither is "Never Again" or "Just For" or "Good Times Gone" or most other stuff on Silver Side Up, not to mention "Breathe" and "Leader of Men" from The State.

Guest cdstunner66

I don't so much mind Nickleback and Incubus. I can hear them on the radio and they're just background noise, but the rest of the new bands.... It seems like there are only three bands left. If it's not a Limp Bizkit clone it's a Staind clone or a Slipnot clone.

Guest starvenger

Creed - Ballads and marketing (OK, Titan AE sucked, but how much exposure did they get from that?).  Worked for boy bands, apparently works for Creed as well.  That being said, I actually like "My Sacrifice".

Linkin Park - "In the End" is radio-friendly, and catchy.  Everything else, frankly, sounds like screaming

Staind - Ballads sell.  And knowing Fred Durst probably helps you get a push.

Train - Hootie Rock, for lack of a better term.

Incubus - Um, I really don't know how to place them.  Hootie Rock, yet they can do more than that.

Slipknot - I don't listen to them

Limp Bizkit - Fred Durst knows how to be radio-friendly.  And being VP of a record label can't be bad for giving your band a push.  How else can you explain it?

Mudvayne - see Slipknot

Sum 41 - supposedly their next album's more metal than pop-punk.  But it's the pop-punk that made them popular.  I guess Green Day started a trend.

Lifehouse - Hootie Rock.  Their new single, "Breathing", is tailor-made for AC radio.

POD - See Slipknot

Kid Rock - It's sad that it's his rapping that made him popular, because that's his worst attribute (the best being Pam Anderson's boobs).  He's a great musician, but people just want to hear more crap like "Forever".  Go figure.

Nickleback - Hoser Rock.  Yeah, they're boring people, but whatever.

Puddle of Mudd - Pretty much straight rock, as far as I'm concerned.

Disturbed - More alternative than rock.

Drowning Pool - see Disturbed.

Guest KOR420

let me make this simple

Creed:Crap

Linkin Park:Good,but I hope they dont fall victim to the sellout and make a crappy album disease

Staind:1st album good

Train:Crap

Incubus:The Greatest

Slipknot:CRAP

Limp Bizkit:CRAP

Mudvayne:CRRRRRRRRAAAAAP!

Sum 41:Giant Pile of Canadian Moose shit

Lifehouse:Super Crap

POD:Total Garbage

Kid Rock:Sucked when he came out anyway

Nickleback:Ehhhh...gooo..CRAP!

Puddle of Mudd:Nope

Disturbed:HELL NO!

Drowning Pool:with a cd with one good song,they still are crap!

Guest saturnmark4life
Incubus and Mudvayne don't suck.

I'm not a fan of incubus personally, but i don't think they suck. I do like mudvayne. Probably only because i'm a bass player though. Their rhythm section is their strength. I hate pretty much everyone else in that list.

Guest Ghast

Ummm, Creed don’t sell records because of marketing. They’re still on an independent label. Any push they get it because of there own merits. I don’t like them though.

Guest redbaron51

Creed: Over hyped, pathetic band with a great debut album.

Linkin Park: Over hyped, and doesn't even give credit to  Asia for One Step Closer

Staind: Great first album again, but the rest followed with suckitude

Train: ???

Incubus: I like there music, its different from the rest.

Slipknot: Take away four members, there gimmicks, and they are probably decent. Mushroomhead Wannabe's

Limp Bizkit: (censored)

Mudvayne: Other than Ryknow, I don't really like the band at all.

Sum 41: Decent at best, saw them once, but at least they give credit to the bands they cover for.

Lifehouse: (censored)

POD: Not bad, for a christian band.

Kid Rock: A true red-neck person, music sucks horribly.

Nickleback: Excellent early stuff, but there last album is just pop.

Puddle of Mudd: (censored)

Disturbed: One of the best nu-metal bands around. Mainstream my ass

Drowning Pool: One hit wonders...

Guest Judas14

Creed- Suck

Linkin Park- Suck

Staind- Suck

Train- faceless, interchangible top 40 rock

Incubus- faceless, interchangible top 40 rock

Slipknot- Nice gimmick, crappy music

Limp Bizkit- Evil incarnate

Mudvayne- sucks and blows

Sum 41- so-so

Lifehouse- faceless, interchangible top 40 rock

POD- Christian Rock is bad M'KAY...

Kid Rock- Sucks and blows

Nickleback- Sucks

Puddle of Mudd- Sucks and blows

Disturbed- So-so

Drowning Pool- Sucks

Guest hardyz1

Hey, retards, this isn't a "What do you think of..." thread, it's "Why are these bands successful".

Incubus- faceless, interchangible top 40 rock

Haha, you're kidding right?

Guest redbaron51

Why these bands are so popular???

Some reasons:

Catchy riffs: Take in the end by Linkin Park. The beginning riff is "catchy" and people will like it. Without a "Catchy" riff or a hook, people won't like the song/band. Seriously what does the average person want, a catchy riff by Linkin Park or a tremendous 2 minute solo by John Petrucci.

Record Companies:Record Companies in the last five years have turned from a great musical groups to manufactured pop crap. (Korn). A month later, another record label will make a wannabe band of Linkin Park. So basically it'll be a fad. Nu-metal might be the year of 2001. Its all marketing.

MTV: Give credit for these bastards putting on plethora's of tasteless music videos full of cheese, with very little talent. When is the last time MTV played something from Iron Maiden???

Also the average fan really has no music identity at all. He/She will follow a trend what is popular or not. Most will have no musical knowledge on what is good or bad music if following pop charts. If they buy a pop album, usually they'll like it for the popular songs, after playing the same songs over and over again for a month, they'll hate it.

Guest Big McLargeHuge

Who decides what music is good or bad? I never understood the purpose of a music critic.

Music is a fucking preference.

Rock is dead. No excuse me, the spirit of Rock is dead. There are too many varied tastes among people. That's good, really. But if it were to 'make a comeback', the new scene would be bashed and seen as just a fad.

Guest redbaron51

Yes Music is a preferance, but whether it is good or not is your own opinion.

But to the people that have no music knowledge and feed off of MTV or Muchmusic for music or the radio, (depends on where you live) they are just gonna buy manufactured material garbage about:

Depressed teenagers about there parents.

Over-energetic pop bands fighting over *NSYNC or Backstreet boys.

Or

Talk about there ho's, drugs, bling bling cuz Money Ain't The Thing.

Boy does our generation suck or what at music. Hell 80's music is better than this.

Guest Ihatesmarksandmarks

man BPS i guess ur just too "old school'" for everyone, maybe ur a taker mark too?