TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Sell your team

D: Towards the end of August, the team deals away three key players when the team is just a couple of games out of first place, effectively saying "We have no chance of catching the Indians/Twins/Royals/Tigers". (see 1997 season)

This isn't exactly that, but close: they confirmed that they're not bringing Magglio Ordonez back. Hmph. Without Magglio and Thomas, the White Sox are....well, they're what you see right now, basically.

I've heard rumors that Mag's knee is fucked to the point where it will really hurt his performance next season. I don't have a source on that, but if its true the Sox reluctance to bring him back is understandable.

Think about the ratings if the Red Sox faced the Cubs in the world Series, every game would be like the super bowl, and anything that puts attention on baseball and away from football is fan-fuckin-tastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think about it every day, man. The Cubs play the Pirates, Reds, and Mets this month. Those should ALL be easy wins, which will help the Cubs pick up steam going into October. I know how stupid it seems to pull for the Cubs right now, but I really just can't see the Cardinals winning it all.

Guest Crazy Dan

Well I am not a Red Sox fan, but I wouldn't mind seeing them get a chance to win a Series. I think they have a good team and the best 1-2 punch in Schilling (who I like as a player) and Pedro. And for all the suffering the fans have been through, I wouldn't mind them actually winning one for once.

I am an A's fan, so I would like to see them make the playoffs (it is either them or the Angels at this point) and actually win the first round series for once. I want them not to make stupid base running errors that seem to pop up every Game 5. This year's team does not have a real superstar, but they have a solid team, with the hero being different every night. And I like their pitching staff and would love to see them actually get them deep into the playoffs. And even though Dotel has blown 5 saves since comming over, he is way better than Rhodes, and if his stuff is on, you are looking at nasty pitches.

I do not want to see the Marlins even make the playoffs. And it is not because of their team. It's the fans of the Marlins, who only show up, it seems for the World Series. Players come and go, but fans stay the same, and for fans who don't care about their team like that (low attendence), do not deserve to win a Ring. But this is a hot team, and it is all because the Dodgers f'd up and traded their heart and soul of the team and one of the best set up men in baseball.

Dodgers I do not want to see in there, only becuase their GM broke up a winning team thinking he was going to get Randy Johnson. Well the Diamondbacks only were willing to give up Steve Finley, so the Dodgers trade Lo Duca, who I think is that team's heart and soul due to the hustle and 100% effort he gives, and Moto. Notice the Gagne, who still is the best reliever has struggled more since Moto was traded. He has had to pitch more innings, and with Moto, usually the other team was not going to score in that inning, so it was Game Over even before Gagne took the mound. Now it is not a too sure a thing like he was. And evaluating the other players the Dodgers got, Choi. This guy is batting about .160. He is terrible and if the game is on the line, he more than likely will not get a hit, even less than normal. Penny was the third best pitcher on the Marlins. I have never been too impressed by him, and he is definately not a no.1 pitcher. Worse, he got hurt in his first game for the Dodgers. So the number one pitcher for the Dodgers as of this moment is Jeff Weaver, who is having a good year, but is really going to dominate a team? I just see a fizzle out if they make the playoffs and it is all the GM's fault for making trades without getting a guaranteed return.

Yankees will make the playoffs. They have a great offense, but man like I mentioned a while back in a Yankee's thread, their pitching is shaky at best. Their staff is not going to cut it. Worse, Kevin Brown decided that the best way to approach his anger is by punching a wall. Unfortunately the wall fought back and won, and Brown has a broken hand. A vetren like that should know better than to jeopordize his hands like that, especially when their 10 game lead that they had over the Sox has gone bye-bye and the playoffs are on the horizan. If you are that pissed off, just throw your mitt or the gatorade cooler, anything that will not hurt you. The Yankee teams that won had a great bullpen. Well this year the pen's four main players are in their 30's, have had to pitch far too many innings, and might not be full strength due to over use. So this is not looking good, which means they will be playing in the Series of course, but this year they are clearly beatable, and they might not make it out of the first round. I guess the contract Steinbrenner signed with the Devil has finally expired, and now the Yankees are no longer heads and shoulders above everyone else. And one last bad sign, they have bitched slapped this year by some real bad teams. I don't have the scores, but they were ugly. Champions do not get beat badly by the worse teams, and the Yankees have. I think what has happened is in years past, the Yankees had a stacked farm system. So when the trade deadline came, they could pickup any piece they needed and be ready for the playoffs and the Series. Well they did this for so many years, now the system is not as full, and no team really sees anything worth taking. So when the Yankees this season has serious pitching problems, they were not able to get anyone worth mentioning. Plus, Yankee fan, you have 26 rings, time for some other teams to get one.

Then there is my favorite team the Giants. Besides the fact they are my favorite team and any fan wants the playoffs and beyond, there are some good reasons to cheer the Giants on. As much as most people hate Bonds, and yes he is a ego-maniac, aloff, every other adjetive that you can think of, he still is the best player of this generation. A player like him comes along once a generation. And his playing time left is beginning to tick away, so there might not be many more chances for him to play for a ring. And being that 2002 fell right through their fingers, I want to see him get at least one more time, even if he is a jerk. Another reason is Jason Schmidt. Out of all the NL starting pitchers, he is one of the best. Just watch him throw a 97 mile fast ball and then the next pitch is a 93 mile hour change up. It just is not fair. I want to see him get a chance to just throw unhittable gas in more than just one game. The Giants do have a weak bullpen, Nen's shoulder looking like it will never heal, which means the Giants are going closer shopping in the off season. And worse, they misjudged Nathan, who has turned into a fine closer with 97 range heat. But lifetime mediocre pitcher, Tomko, has been awesome in the second half and has not lost in 10 outings. If the Giants can get long innings, they have chance. And also, being the Felipe Alou got screwed in 94 when his Expos had the best team in the NL and maybe baseball, I would like to see him coach in the World Series.

This year is wierd, because every team that makes the playoffs, will have a chance to win it all. All you need is to get hot and have things go your way. Even the Cardinals, with the best NL offense, still has a starting pitching staff that is not exactly the greatest and can be beat. Every team that will playing the playoffs will have at least one glaring weakness that could cost them. So may the best team win.

Guest Crazy Dan

It's not that simple... I do like both teams this is true. However, The Giants are my favorite team, and when the play the A's, I always vote the Giants. But the A's are my favorite American League team.

You can like one NL and one AL team (like we may have said in the Team Affiliation thread) but they can't be in the same city. No Mets and Yankees, no Cubs and White Sox, and though the Bay Area isn't a city per se, I don't think you can like the A's and Giants without being shit on.