TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

Frank Francisco might sue the fans

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1882359

Francisco's attorney, Rick Minkoff, gave a dramatically different account of what happened. He said Francisco rushed out of the dugout to defend his teammates, and was pushed up against a fence in the crush of fans and players.

"He was grabbed, hard and forcefully, on his left wrist. He didn't see who did it. Fortunately, it's not his pitching hand, and he was able to get free," Minkoff said outside court.

Minkoff said the fans are to blame, and that Francisco may sue in civil court. He wouldn't comment on who the targets might be.

Guest MikeSC

I will say that the fans likely instigated this. Their whole "We were just saying he was going to lose" just reeks of BS.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
And that gives him the right to throw A FUCKING CHAIR into the stands, Mike?

No, it was retarded.

But, quite honestly, I'd have no problems with him grabbing the guy he was aiming at and just beating the living hell out of him.

-=Mike

He should win.

After all, judges didn't have any trouble letting fans who attack players free.

I don't blame him, there is a line you don't cross when heckling and it's obvious that one of these people crossed the line. And if they touched him first, then officially they should be the ones at fault.

Throwing the chair wasn't the brighest idea but hey, might just be a really crappy fighter.

I don't give a damn about these fans. The players should be on edge regarding the fans, lots of them have been acting psycho at these games.

Francisco's attorney, Rick Minkoff, gave a dramatically different account of what happened. He said Francisco rushed out of the dugout to defend his teammates, and was pushed up against a fence in the crush of fans and players.

"He was grabbed, hard and forcefully, on his left wrist. He didn't see who did it. Fortunately, it's not his pitching hand, and he was able to get free," Minkoff said outside court.

Minkoff said the fans are to blame, and that Francisco may sue in civil court. He wouldn't comment on who the targets might be.

Of course his lawyer would not comment on who is targeted for the lawsuit, just throw the papers in the air and see who catches it, just like Frank did.

Guest Staravenger

It's stupid either way. A fan pissed off the player, and sues because he (the player) fought back, except it was physical, not verbal.

Francisco is a bigger fucking idiot by having that cock-and-bull story fabricated.

I just say let FF and the fan fight in a parking lot surrounded by bikers waving studded belts, and whoever tries leaving until one man is seriously hurt gets lashed.

No, it was retarded.

But, quite honestly, I'd have no problems with him grabbing the guy he was aiming at and just beating the living hell out of him.

-=Mike

Fans have a right to heckle when they buy the ticket. I have no sympathy for millionaires who can't tune out the catcalls of drunks. Players should just ignore them. Sure, the fans can get personal, too personal sometimes, but there's no way to justify a player getting physical with a fan in any way, be it fisticuffs or chair-tossing.

Of course his lawyer would not comment on who is targeted for the lawsuit, just throw the papers in the air and see who catches it, just like Frank did.

Frank threw the chair at the husband of the lady who was hit. The wimp ducked, and the wife ended up with a broken nose.

No, it was retarded.

-=Mike

Fans have a right to heckle when they buy the ticket. I have no sympathy for millionaires who can't tune out the catcalls of drunks. Players should just ignore them. Sure, the fans can get personal, too personal sometimes, but there's no way to justify a player getting physical with a fan in any way, be it fisticuffs or chair-tossing.

I think the only time it is justified is if a spectator breaks the plane and goes on the field, court, ice, what have you. Like that guy in Philadelphia who was harassing Tie Domi and actually went into the penalty box...if you overstep the boundary, I think the player should do whatever it takes to subdue the fan.

What I did find funny about the whole thing was during The frakes, 3 or 4 people were holding back Rangers Relief Pitcher Doug Brocail. You can tell Brocail really wanted to lay an ass whoppin on the heckler. During this, said Heckler was waving Brocail on like he wanted to fight him, likely knowing that Brocail probably wouldn't be able to get to him no matter what. I find It hard to believe The Heckler really wanted to fight Brocail.

No, it was retarded.

-=Mike

I will say that the fans likely instigated this. Their whole "We were just saying he was going to lose" just reeks of BS.

-=Mike

I can't even fathom hot utterly ridiculous these 2 statements are.

There is one lawsuit that Francisco could wage, and win: if he gets suspended for a year, and thus won't get paid for that year, he could probably sue the ballpark and/or security company for not removing the heckler as requested 6 innings earlier. But he has no way of winning if he actually sues the fans.

/unsure if the player would actually get paid during his suspension.

and, Spiff, I agree with you that the first MikeSC post you quoted is a bit ludicrous, the second one is pretty much on-point: the fans DID instigate the problems, it's not like the players arbitrarily decided to go after the fans. The players made it into the debacle it was by escalating things, but the fans did instigate the situation.

And we still don't know what the fans said. I'm 90% sure it was more than the standard heckling banter we all know and love. Relief pitchers have heard heckling their entire careers. What caused Brocail to flip out over this fan in particular? We don't know yet. As always, I'm reserving full judgement until I have all the facts. Francisco was out of line, and deserves what he gets. But that doesn't explain the entire scenario.

There is one lawsuit that Francisco could wage, and win: if he gets suspended for a year, and thus won't get paid for that year, he could probably sue the ballpark and/or security company for not removing the heckler as requested 6 innings earlier. But he has no way of winning if he actually sues the fans.

Was there a documented or witnessed request for security to remove the heckler? I hadn't heard about this at all before now.

I'm unsure where I read it, but I remember reading that the Rangers had called security about the heckler in question and then were pissed that the guy was allowed to continue to talk shit.

A quick google search came up with:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5994906/

And I'll just C&P the part about calling security.

“From what I understand, there was some calls made to security early during the game but I have no idea what started it out there,” crew chief Joe Brinkman said.

I'm sure a more specific google search would produce a better account.

and, Spiff, I agree with you that the first MikeSC post you quoted is a bit ludicrous, the second one is pretty much on-point: the fans DID instigate the problems, it's not like the players arbitrarily decided to go after the fans. The players made it into the debacle it was by escalating things, but the fans did instigate the situation.

It's ridiculous because he's justifying what the players did. Nothing the fan(s) said justifies what happened. Players are paid huge amounts of money, and should just tune out whatever any fan(s) say to them.

Guest MikeSC

No, it was retarded.

-=Mike

Tom, fans cross the line. Hell, David Wells tells a story of being in Cleveland right after his mother died and the fans started making fun of his late mom.

If he left the bullpen and beat the shit out of them, I'd applaud him.

If a fan lacks the balls to say it to a guy one-on-one, they shouldn't say it in a crowd, either.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC

I can't even fathom hot utterly ridiculous these 2 statements are.

I would be shocked too, if it came from anyone besides said poster.

Because fans NEVER cross the line and act like twats.

Fuck them. If you won't say it a player's face if you passed them on the street, don't say it at a stadium, fucking drunk pricks.

-=Mike

I'm with Mike here. Just because he's a ballplayer, fans should get past heckling and start making it straight out personal here (which most likely happened)? Like i've said, Karma is a bitch, and in those terms, they got what was coming to them.

Guest MikeSC
I'm with Mike here. Just because he's a ballplayer, fans should get past heckling and start making it straight out personal here (which most likely happened)? Like i've said, Karma is a bitch, and in those terms, they got what was coming to them.

Hell, John Rocker --- yes, him --- made a good point --- yes, I was shocked --- on ESPN last night.

If you have a habit of attacking fans over nothing, you don't get out of the minors EVER. If you make the majors, you, obviously, don't do that terribly often.

So, SOMETHING drove him over the edge.

-=Mike

Guest Salacious Crumb

I have to say any sympathy I had for this woman have been totally erased now. I'm surprised her lawyer didn't slap a neckbrace on her and head bandages for the trial. And this whole "all I said was they were going to lose" crap is insulting especially when you can planly see the guy acting like a big man until the chair came flying his way.

Why would Doug Brocail try to kill her husband if all they said was that they were going to lose? That's some huge bullshit.

Fans: You're going to lose!

Doug Brocail: WHATS YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM?

Guest MikeSC
I have to say any sympathy I had for this woman have been totally erased now. I'm surprised her lawyer didn't slap a neckbrace on her and head bandages for the trial. And this whole "all I said was they were going to lose" crap is insulting especially when you can planly see the guy acting like a big man until the chair came flying his way.

Hell, what kind of utter, shitless pussy would duck and let his WIFE take it?

-=Mike

Guest Salacious Crumb

That's what I was thinking. If your so worried about your wife don't duck next time you get yourself into trouble.

Guest Crazy Dan

I will just add this point... fans can be idiots. I am all for a good heckle that is funny and intelligent, but there are the fans who are on beer #8 by the 5th inning, and they decide it is time to taunt the players. Most of this is not funny, lacks intelligence, and can be really annoying for all the good fans who go, cheer on their team, boo when they walk Bonds with nobody on base and two outs, and then leave when the game is over.

Now, professional athletes must know they are going to encounter idiots. But as loud and obnoxious as these fans can be, they really should be focused on the game, IMO. But in cases where fans run onto the field and attack teammates, umps, base coaches, etc, then I have no problem with these idiots getting pummeled and arrested. There is line in all sports that niether athletes or fans can cross. When the fan crosses the line, they are fair game for a beating, and in most cases they do get the crap beat out of them. I love it when these morons jump on the field to attack, and then realize that their target is about 50 pounds heavier then they are, and they get the look of doom. This retailiation is perfectly fine.

However, the athletes can not cross the line and attack the fans(customers), no matter how obnoxious they are. In this case, Frank Francisco, obviously was not paying attention to the game... which is more likely due to constant heckling. Now he may get pissed off, but as far as I can see, no fans jumped onto the field. So the player had no right to do what he did, no matter how much this fan, fans was pissing him off. Worse, when he threw the chair he missed the heckler, hit one fan, and then hit heckler's wife, who had nothing to do with this. That is assualt or battery.

Francsico has no case, what is he going to say to the judge, "Well the fans were saying mean things, my teammates decided to attack the fans to shut them up, so I had to retaliate as well." Wow this sounds like a winning case to me. And I have heard the heckler talk about how he is allowed to talk s@#$ becuase he is a season ticket holder and such and I think this guy is a jerk and a bad fan, and I hate fans like this, they ruin the game for everyone else, especially when they are not funny, but he did not jump on field. And becuase of this, the player, as much as we would love to see him get socked, has no justification, and I think the League Office is not going to rule in favor of Francisco's actions.

So in conclusion, as much as we all wish idiots who shoot their mouths off, would get smacked and pummeled, if they do not run onto the field, the players can not touch them. And Francisco really has no case here, IMO, but the woman who took a "Geraldo Rivera" to the face does, and Francisco, I am guessing, is looking at a 8+ game suspension, hefty fine, and possible criminal charges.