TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Reservoir_Kitty

Dark Tower 7

Listen.

Going back to the beginning wasn't the REAL ending.

The REAL ending was making it into the tower.

That was it. The quest was OVER.

About the ending: I thought it was magnificent, and I say that as a lifelong fan of Stephen King who has been reading the 'Dark Tower' series for 15 years. The story was about redemption and, in the end, that was what the Tower represented, a chance for Roland to redeem himself. Personally, I enjoyed it that King wrote about the second to last cycle instead of the last cycle. At the heart of the story, Roland was a tragic character and the story was almost a Greek tragedy, his tragic flaw was his obsession with the tower. I thought the whole ending worked in the scope of the novel. All of the characters had to fight their own personal demons to find their redemption and, in the end, so did Roland. I dunno, I just thought it worked well and, because it didn't have a 'final FINAL' ending, I think it'll live on forever. King's bitter note at the end was kind of off-putting to read at first, but I agree with the message of it-Reading a story just to get to the end and find out how it all ends is a lot less fun than just enjoying the journey and the getting there. Sometimes I don't think the 'non-ending' ending works, but in this instance, I think it did...or maybe I just took a great big gulp of Stephen King's Kool-Aid before I read the book. I certainly can see how some people would hate the ending, but I thought it fit and was pulled off well. Even though I knew what the ending was going to be about halfway through the 7th book (actually before that...reading the Revised edition of the first book was almost a dead giveaway of what would happen), I still was 100% emotionally involved and invested in the characters and the story, so, it worked for me.

Personally, I think the perfect actor to have played Roland was Clint Eastwood, obviously, but, since he's an octagenarian now, I don't think he could do it. Viggo Mortensen would be an interesting choice; he certainly did a good job of pulling off the 'thin line between humanity and violence' in A History of Violence.