TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter Thread

I see the Rangers aren't up for playing spoilers as Showalter has half of his starters out of the line-up. Currently tied 1-1 in the 5th.

More bad news for the A's, Erubiel Durazo is out of today's line-up with a sore wrist. He's arguably been their best hitter this season.

Can't say I'm surprised, though, as Prior's struck out eight through four.

The best part of it is that he's only thrown 52 pitches through 4 innings. They could really use 8 or 9 fabulous innings from him today. Maybe it would allow them to not pitch Hawkins in the ninth.

This team is just so embarrassingly bad offensively if they can't get the longball. On that note, Sosa plates the first Cubs run with his 34th homer. Glad to see him hitting better the last few days, but this last week in mind, I need to see a couple more runs on the board before I feel comfortable.

Steve Stone jinxed it! Two down in the 7th and he said he thought Prior would make short work of the inning. Couple pitches later, Kearns homers to tie it. I HATE AUSTIN KEARNS!

Prior has 15 K's, by the way.

So Prior goes nine, gives up a run and struck out 16...and he won't get a decision, again. He's gone at least seven his last three starts and has one decision to show for it.

Prior doesn't get a CG even though he pitched nine, since it's gone to extras, right?

And Derrek Lee walks in the bottom of the 11th to load the bases with two outs for Michael Barrett.

...and Barrett strikes out swinging on three pitches. Juan Padilla (8.10 ERA) escapes unscathed.

Guest Staravenger
...and Barrett strikes out swinging on three pitches. Juan Padilla (8.10 ERA) escapes unscathed.

That has gotta hurt.

Hahahahahahhahah

hahahahahahahahah

Cubs lose again

Hahahahahaahahahh

haahahahahahahahah

I HAVE SNAPPED

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

The choke is complete.

They're still technically in it, but even if they sweep the Braves and the Stros lose one to the Rockies, there will still have to be a one-game playoff.

Disgusting. I know I've been one of the most negative people who watches baseball around here, but this is just inexcusable by all accounts.

Baseball's not an easy sport, but the inability to do the small things is just something that can't be condoned for professional athletes. Baker deciding to keep Remlinger in to face a guy with an .800 batting average against him and then taking him out AFTER he singles off of him, makes no sense. Not keeping an eye on a guy who has the ability to steal makes no sense. Not walking a guy to get a guy who hadn't hit the ball out of the infield all day with the game on the line, makes no sense. This entire team makes no sense. Fuck the longball. It has effectively ruined this team; a team that's been so focused on hitting it into the stands that they forgot there are other, more important elements to the game than just that.

An entire reconstruction of this team isn't needed. A team who MIGHT get to 90 wins isn't without its pluses. But some changes need to be made. More emphasis on the finer points of the game must be had and right now, I don't see it changing with Dusty and his personal coaching staff running the show.

I'm at a loss right now, but I shouldn't be. This is the Cubs we're talking about, after all. But then again, they've got that ability to suck you in, making you think each time is going to be different and in the end, it never is. Just disappointment.

Guest Staravenger

I wouldn't laugh, since everyone should've known the Cubs were going to choke sooner or later. They just better hope the Astros and Giants lose.

I wouldn't laugh, since everyone should've known the Cubs were going to choke sooner or later. They just better hope the Astros and Giants lose.

Astros are off, Cubs are down a game no matter what.

I'd like to add that although it'd never happen, Steve Stone would be a great manager for this team. He basically knows how to play out every situation and questioned why Remlinger was in there to face Dunn, to watch out for Dunn to steal (which he did) and was dumbfounded why they didn't walk Valentine to get to the next hitter in the 12th. All of those things eventually played a role in the outcome of this one and ALL of them were foreshadowed by Stoney. And yet, he's Enemy Number One when it comes to the Cubs.

And those MLB boards are so maddening (because of the immature morons who act as if they are incapable of being adults just once) and humorous (because some people are such drama queens). Here's a line from a poster that made me crack up:

Baker very obviously can't think at all. He's got wood poisoning from all those toothpicks. He should take his wristbands and the hit the ####' road.

Haha, wood poisoning? Classic.

What the fuck was I thinking when I bought tickets to the potential one-game Astros/Cubs playoff this morning? I didn't actually think I was going to get to use them, did I?

Well, fuck this. The Cubs need a whole lot of help now, and I don't expect them to get it considering THEY CAN'T EVEN SCORE AGAINST THE FUCKING REDS.

Go Giants, I guess, since I cannot, in good conscience, ever root for the Astros. I maintain faint hope for the Cubs, but what a disappointment this is.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
A's win the game in the bottom of the 9th on a homer by Crosby 3-2. A Tie in the AL West

Bored

Hello, are you there? Hello? Hello?

Fucking pessimist, I told you so. They are even going into their series with the Angels. Its the playoffs right now. Amazing.

Guest GreatOne

Dave Sisler will be at the Safe this weekend to watch Ichiro tie, then break the record.

Dave Sisler will be at the Safe this weekend to watch Ichiro tie, then break the record.

George Sisler.

I'm behind the Giants, too. I don't like them, but I will not watch the Astros prove just about everyone wrong, citing that they were finished on so many occassions. They're the best team right now (going by the last month or so), but I just couldn't stomach them in the postseason. So, of course, they'll be there.

Cubs fans, I guess we gotta look at it like this. This team just isn't going to work. There's so much talent, but they never clicked during this entire season. They're a slightly-improved team, but changes need to be made; I think everyone agrees on this.

So perhaps it's better for the Cubs to not make the postseason, instead of getting there and then blowing it on a much grander scale. It hurts quite a bit to not be there because you couldn't finish off the Mets or Reds, but in retrospect, it may be better than this flawed team couldn't get to the playoffs and create the smokescreen that they're a team they really aren't.

I dunno what they're gonna do, but I can almost assure you that not making the playoffs like this is going to result in more changes being made than if they had gotten there and then lost. Alou's probably gone and hopefully they'll pursue someone like Beltran with that extra coin from that contract. The pitching's fine, for the most part, but we need a closer who'll get the job done most of the time. The middle infield's going to be interesting since Grudz, Nomar and Walker are all FAs. I think Grudz will be gone and there's a good chance Nomar will be, too.

On paper, this was a team that looked like they would cakewalk towards the World Series. Hasn't worked out that way. That's what happens when half of your overall game relies on one offensive tool. We'll see what goes down, but it'll be a long and interesting offseason.

As an aside, in the postgame show, Stone questioned Baker's motives and decisions in that 12th inning during their interview. At least someone isn't gonna verbally blow him for once; to his face, no less.

In my NL-team-that-I-haven't-paid-attention-to-since-they-went-under-.500 news, Adam Dunn broke Bobby Bonds' K record today, which is unfortunate that it's what he'll be remembered for in an otherwise decent season where he has a decent BA, 100+ RBIs and is tied for 3rd in homers

A's win the game in the bottom of the 9th on a homer by Crosby 3-2.  A Tie in the AL West

Bored

Fucking pessimist, I told you so. They are even going into their series with the Angels. Its the playoffs right now. Amazing.

What you think I don't want them to prove me wrong? I was actually very opptimistic up until the Dotel blown save last week in Texas.

Redman came up with a shockingly good start today and hopefully Mulder will tommorow as well. Can't wait to get home to see the highlight of Crosby's homerun.

Guest GreatOne

George Sisler.

Dave Sisler is either George's son or grandson, the guy's 87 so I think it's his son. He was at the series last week in Texas.

A's win the game in the bottom of the 9th on a homer by Crosby 3-2.  A Tie in the AL West

Bored

What you think I don't want them to prove me wrong? I was actually very opptimistic up until the Dotel blown save last week in Texas.

Redman came up with a shockingly good start today and hopefully Mulder will tommorow as well. Can't wait to get home to see the highlight of Crosby's homerun.

I'm just saying don't be so negative. Especially with a streaky team like the A's. Now they ahve their three best pitchers for this weekend, and Rich harden if they need him for any long term bullpen work.

I don't think that George Sisler is still alive.

I saw the word Sisler, safe, weekend, break record

I honestly read the question wrong

Bah

I cannot believe the reds took 3/4 from the cubs in chicago. It figures when I am actually rooting against Cincy they win, houston and the giant both blow. Now, I only have one team that I like in the playoffs (Red Sox).

Also, people in chicago must hate Austin Kearns. Without him in the lineup there is a decent chance they would have won 3/4 and be playoff, and possibly World Series, bound. The bright side is the reds have 4 outfielders and need pitching so there is a good chance one of the outfielders will be traded, and Dunn, Pena and Griffey will all probably stay. Most baseball people think Kearns will ultimately be the best player, but the backlash would be too great right now to trade Dunn or Pena, and Griffey is now a 10-5 guy.

As for the Dunn season, 100 walks, 100 runs, 100 RBI's and 45 home runs, an on base percentage of almost .400. To me the strikeouts are not that important.