TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter Thread

The announcers should go. I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with the Cubs. They could use improvement. But who is easier to replace here? You can find another broadcaster. And for these broadcasters to continually denegrate the players on print devalues the franchise as a whole.

Guest Smues

Last TBS Braves game of the season starts soon. I'm hoping Atlanta can do their part to keep the Cubs out of the playoffs, but besides that just one win and Atlanta completes the season without ever being sweeped in a series.

The announcers should go. I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with the Cubs. They could use improvement. But who is easier to replace here? You can find another broadcaster. And for these broadcasters to continually denegrate the players on print devalues the franchise as a whole.

I don't think your argument would fly in Chicago. I think everyone is actually taking sides with Chip and Steve here.

So, just because it's easier to get new announcers, they should do that instead of improving the actual team? I'm sorry, but that's a really weak argument. I've watched the nearly all the WGN telecasts this season and these two have never really said anything that wasn't the truth. It's not like Stone is talking about how horrid Ramirez is if he strikes out once.

He points out what everyone's seeing anyway. I'm tired of the announcers catching flack for pointing out the obvious, just because it's not positive.

Guest Smues

John Smoltz: I think with 2 outs Hampton is swinging for the fences. Every pitcher's dream is to hit one deep.

(a couple of pitches later) CRACK gone homerun.

Guest Anglesault
Excuses, excuses. The Twins shouldn't take the Yankees for granted you mean. You don't see the Yankees taking starters out in 5 innings when they pitch good, which means they don't take ANYONE for granted, even when they are in the playoffs.

What excuses? The Yankees are the better team, and the Twins pulling their best two starters out after 5 proved they really could of cared less about winning.

I'm sorry, are you implying that you were impressed with Radke in that game up until that point?

You can't be serious.

So, just because it's easier to get new announcers, they should do that instead of improving the actual team? I'm sorry, but that's a really weak argument. I've watched the nearly all the WGN telecasts this season and these two have never really said anything that wasn't the truth. It's not like Stone is talking about how horrid Ramirez is if he strikes out once.

He points out what everyone's seeing anyway. I'm tired of the announcers catching flack for pointing out the obvious, just because it's not positive.

I'm saying if there is irreconsileable differences between the players and the announcers, then the announcers are more expendable.

Well, the Cubs implosion continues. A loss, and they're pretty much out of the race.

Anaheim @ Oakland tonight. Bartolo Colon faces Mark Mulder. First of three games to determine the AL West champion.

San Francisco @ Los Angeles tonight, Kirk Rueter versus Jeff Weaver. The Dodgers can clinch the NL West with a victory tonight.

Colorado @ Houston at 8pm ET. Joe Kennedy faces Peter Munro. The Astros are looking for the wild card. If they lose, LA clinches at least a playoff berth.

Guest Anglesault

And gearing up into post season form, it should be noted that the Twins winning a division that they couldn't have possibly lost gets its own congratulatory thread.

The Yankees winning a hard fought division crown gets none.

Guest Anglesault
You know that New Topic button works for every poster, don't you?

It was more of a complement to my fellow Yankee fans for not blowing this totally out of proportion like some fans of other teams did.

That's because most teams have the right to celebrate a bit about going to the postseason. I know if they don't win it all, it's a complete and utter failure (in your eyes), but those elite eight who make it should be proud to be there.

And I think the Cubs are just about done. They've had two runners on a couple of times and haven't gotten anything done. With the wind blowing out, no less. I'll be pulling for the Giants to get the WC spot over the Astros with a Cubs loss today.

I'll play devil's advocate for Al - the announcers are the face that the organization presents to their customers in the public and, if the announcers are doing nothing but criticizing the product - for legitimate reasons or not - then they're convincing potential customers (fans) that their product sucks and, thus, they shouldn't buy into it.

That aside, I think Kent Mercker and Moises Alou are the real expendable ones here.

Guest Anglesault
That's because most teams have the right to celebrate a bit about going to the postseason. .

That's great.

They won a division that they couldn't have possibly lost. It's worthy of a whole bunch of posts in this thread, just like people did with the Yankees here. Making a new thread to announce that the Twins won the unlosable Central is a bit much

It was more of a complement to my fellow Yankee fans for not blowing this totally out of proportion like some fans of other teams did.

The fact that, lately, you've been overreacting to every single word that's even remotely in the same context as the Minnesota Twins tells me that you must be a lot more worried about the postseason than you're letting on.

Guest Anglesault

The fact that, lately, you've been overreacting to every single word that's even remotely in the same context as the Minnesota Twins tells me that you must be a lot more worried about the postseason than you're letting on.

Who the hell wouldn't be worried about the playoffs? I have seen this Yankee team just totally shut down in big games. It's a very flawed team. I just happen to think that if they want to play, they can be unbeatable.

That's because most teams have the right to celebrate a bit about going to the postseason.  .

That's great.

They won a division that they couldn't have possibly lost. It's worthy of a whole bunch of posts in this thread, just like people did with the Yankees here. Making a new thread to announce that the Twins won the unlosable Central is a bit much

People seem to forget that the Tigers, the Indians, and the White Sox all made runs this season. Had the White Sox not lost their two best hitters, its quite possible they could have beaten the Twins. The Indians had one of the best offenses in baseball, and pulled within one game before the Twins put a run together. This division was no sure thing.

Besides, I think beating a handful of .500 teams on a budget is more impressive than winning a World Series when you spend nearly $200 Million on payroll.

Guest Anglesault
That's because most teams have the right to celebrate a bit about going to the postseason.  .

That's great.

People seem to forget that the Tigers, the Indians, and the White Sox all made runs this season.

Oh, for Christ sakes, people took the Tigers and Indians seriously? You know, them there Devil Rays were wild card contenders for a bit too.

And The White Sox died in July.

Besides, I think beating a handful of .500 teams on a budget is more impressive than winning a World Series when you spend nearly $200 Million on payroll.

Sure it is.

Guest GreatOne
And gearing up into post season form, it should be noted that the Twins winning a division that they couldn't have possibly lost gets its own congratulatory thread.

The Yankees winning a hard fought division crown gets none.

To show that I agree with Sault here, if the Seahawks win the NFC West I'm not making a thread about it (being that they're the only team with a winning record right now).

Guest Staravenger

Oh come on...taking a shot at Steinbrenner spending money to win is WEAK. Maybe if more owners weren't cheap motherfuckers their teams would win more often too. Besides, I seriously doubt the Yankees WILL win this year. You have questionable pitching, and the main offense is the long ball.

And can this stupid Twins/Yanks crap end? The Twins have been skipping to the AL Central Title while the Yanks and Sox have been sprinting to the finish, trying to trip each other every few seconds.

Oh, for Christ sakes, people took the Tigers and Indians seriously? You know, them there Devil Rays were wild card contenders for a bit too.

Yes, because they lost their two best hitters. And of course they took the Indians seriously. They did beat the Yankees 22-0 if I recall.

To show that I agree with Sault here, if the Seahawks win the NFC West I'm not making a thread about it (being that they're the only team with a winning record right now).

Has anyone ever given a flying fuck about NFL division winners?

Look, the playoffs in MLB haven't been entirely watered down as they have in the other major sports. Making the playoffs is an accomplishment itself, and the fans of the teams want to celebrate, they are more than entitled to it.

Guest GreatOne

Yeah I know. You have the Yanks and the Sox playing each other to the death over here, and over here you have the Twins and.....the White Sox? Hey I'm sure we can work in the Royals at some point.

Guest Anglesault

Yes, because they lost their two best hitters.

Doesn't change that they died in July.

They did beat the Yankees 22-0 if I recall.

Uhm...wow? One game (after they fell out of the race, mind you) against a bored looking Yankee team does not make the Indians anything other than a below average team.

Guest GreatOne
Has anyone ever given a flying fuck about NFL division winners?

Look, the playoffs in MLB haven't been entirely watered down as they have in the other major sports. Making the playoffs is an accomplishment itself, and the fans of the teams want to celebrate, they are more than entitled to it.

Oh look it's Mr. player-worship, never-do-wrong, stupid-announcers-they-should-sit-back-and-be-homers trying to lecture me again.

12 teams out of 32 make it in the NFL=37.5%

8 out of 30 make it in baseball=26.67%

Slight advantage to baseball, but not by a hell of a lot.

Yeah I know. You have the Yanks and the Sox playing each other to the death over here,

In a race that means little because of the wild card.

and over here you have the Twins and.....the White Sox? Hey I'm sure we can work in the Royals at some point.

And, once again, the Yankees and Sox spend 1/3 of their season fiercely entangled with the O's, Jays, and Rays. What's your point? It's pretty much a wash in the end.

Guest Anglesault
And, once again, the Yankees and Sox spend 1/3 of their season fiercely entangled with the O's, Jays, and Rays. What's your point? It's pretty much a wash in the end.

I'm not sure how two legitimate challengers in the East is equal to one in the Central