TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Zoidberg

Interpol - ANTICS

So my buddy and I stop by the local Rasputin Music Store today, and I decide to spend my money on either the new Interpol album, or the first Libertines album. I chose the Interpol one, obviously.

So far, it is quite a good album and is chock full of songs that i wouldn't mind listening to over and over again. So far, my favorite song would have to be either "Not Even Jail" or "Slow Hands."

I would have to give it a ****1/2 out of 5. Quite good, but no "Room on Fire."

Thoughts? Inquiries? Stresses? Heartaches?

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I'd find your musical tastes more legitimate if you took Mandy Moore out of your avatar.

But this is a fine album. More of the same Interpol. Its good but not mind blowing.

I've heard about seven songs from the album and I from what I've heard it's great. "Slow Hands" is a classic and "Narc" is also a damn good one.

Mind you the first Libertines album isn't bad either.

The album feels as if someone said, "man, the world really needs the best anthemic rock group it can get," and Interpol happily obliged. The rhythm section is pushed way to the front on this album, which is a very good thing and comes close to capturing their live sound. The album isn't as textured or moody as Turn on the Bright Lights and doesn't have that album's sense of interludes (i.e. "Untitled" and "Hands Away," which spin one or two lines of lyrics into a full song), but it's stacked with excellent propulsive rockers. The lyrics are as clever and esoteric as ever, and the band scores points for proper use of the word "myriad." It's an adjective, people. Not a noun.

Loved it, not as good as TOTBL by any stretch of the imagination but a worthy follow-up and one that does a good job of expanding on the bands talents, musically and lyrically. While (like Edwin said) it doesn't have the perpetual gloom or dark sound that TOTBL had, it still mananges to churn out a bunch of really solid numbers, including Take You On a Cruise, which IMO is one of their best songs to date. The only track that stumbles is Length of Love, which gets too bogged down in Pauls murky vocals to ever amount to anything.

Worth bumping because

1) I saw the video for "Slow Hands" today, and it's pretty lame, and

2) This album is a monstrous grower. The actual instrumentation is much, much better than on the debut, and though it doesn't stand out too much as an album, the songs on their own are excellent. I've been listening to it on shuffle over the last few days, and doing so has yielded unknown pleasures.

Here is a review I wrote on the album for my Universities student paper:

By Travis Coleman

Interpol: “Antics”

[Matador]

Interpol is not Joy Division. They’re not The Cure. They’re not even a psychedelic version of the Beach Boys.

What is Interpol? They are, for the moment, the best band in the world.

The New York goth-rock outfit’s follow-up release to “Turn Off The Bright Lights,” is the expansive “Antics.”

Take the best of The Smiths, mix it with a little new-wave-synth-pop and add a dash of “Ok Computer” and you have the epic, grand sound of this astounding record.

Paul Banks’, Interpol lead singer, baritone reverberates pain and despair at a mind-blowing level. Paul’s gloom impeccably complements the dazzling guitar-work of Daniel Kessler and enigmatic bassist Carlos D.

But all of this could not have been. Imagine the enormous pressure of following up an indie classic like “Bright Lights.” That album contained a careers worth of creative riffs, inspired lyrical content and artistic credibility to spare.

Other bands in the rock crop of 2002 (The Strokes, The Vines, The Hives, etc) decided not to experiment with their sound. They released carbon copies of their hit albums and fans, naturally, became jaded.

Interpol perfectionist pop (yes, I said pop!) from “Antics” is an incredible departure from “Bright Lights.”

Compare the epic track from their first album, “Obstacle 1,” with the opener from “Antics,” “Next Exit.” The opening riff from “Obstacle 1” glitters with rhythm. It’s a head-bobbing track. You know, like 50 Cent’s “In Da Club.” You just listen to you and your head uncontrollably begins to bobble.

The first sounds heard on “Next Exit” is a gospel-like keyboard solo. If one is lucky enough to make to the gates of heaven, “Next Exit” will be heard blaring over St. Peters’ boom box. Also, the lyrical content on “Antics” ditches much of the darker material in favor for romantic and inspirational fodder.

Imagine black coats on sun shined, sandy beaches. Or if Nick Cave invaded “The O.C.” Who’s to say these wouldn’t be great ideas?

The standout track “Take You On A Cruise” has knocked Modest Mouse’s “Float On” as the track of the year. No other song released this year has been so grandiose yet so minimal. Sounds like a great contradiction? That’s what Interpol are all about: making the listener change what they think is standard and conventional.

Get this album immediately. But don’t purchase it based on hip trends or what so douche-bag critic says.

Get it because you want to hear what excellence and transcendence sound like.

The first sounds heard on “Next Exit” is a gospel-like keyboard solo. If one is lucky enough to make to the gates of heaven, “Next Exit” will be heard blaring over St. Peters’ boom box.

I can only hope!

EDIT: I don't know why I chose that line out of any of the other winners in your column, but dude, I think all but three of the sentences there is fairly atrocious hyperbole.

Did not. Okay, maybe the Strokes did, a tiny bit. But Room On Fire still sounds pretty much like the first one, and the new Hives is exactly the same as everything they've ever released.

I didn't say they changed a lot, but they changed. And enough so that both bands debut albums have been ruined for me. I feel both parties 2nd albums blow the 1st ones away.

Well, at least The Strokes chose to record "new" material. The Hives just took a few years of previous recordings and slapped together a record.

It's a good idea if you're a decent band. But The Hives aren't that much of a quality band.

The Strokes are a good band, but not a great one. I don't think a band that represents so little should just throw an album like "Room For Fire" out to their fans and expect them to bite.

And The Vines just suck.

Worth bumping because

1) I saw the video for "Slow Hands" today, and it's pretty lame, and

2) This album is a monstrous grower. The actual instrumentation is much, much better than on the debut, and though it doesn't stand out too much as an album, the songs on their own are excellent. I've been listening to it on shuffle over the last few days, and doing so has yielded unknown pleasures.

Get your tickets for the FL show?

Interpol in T.O happens in 6 days.

The Hives just took a few years of previous recordings and slapped together a record.

Oh, I see now. You're counting "Your New Favorite Band" as their 2nd album. While technically true in the states, I consider that more of an early days curiosity for the hardcore fans than a proper second effort. The album I'm talking about is "Tyrannosaurus Hives", and I think that one is a damned good album that makes "Veni Vidi Vicious" look like child's play.

What Florida show. It's not listed on their site.

Really? Shit. I never actually checked the list I just assumed that they'd have one. Maybe a hurricane benefit show or something will come up.