TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bottyboy

What are the best matvhes of 2004 so far...

Guest bottyboy

Forgive me if this is spam. But could somebody please give me a list of the best matches of 2004, fom these feds CZW, IWA MS, PWG, and of course ROH?

Also could some body list the best matches of AmDrag, Samoa Joe, Super Dragon, Chris Hero,CM Punk, Trent Acid, Alex Shelly and Homicide of 2004?

Thanks in advance, and again I say, I'm sorry if this is spam.

Guest Ray

Get Danielson vs. Briscoe vs. Aries vs. Samoa Joe vs. Cabana vs. Homicide from ROH 6/24/04 at all costs. Great match.

04/16/04 - Bryan Danielson v Rocky Romero (New Japan USA)

04/24/04 - Bryan Danielson v Homicide (Ring of Honor)

06/12/04 - Shelley & Aries & Strong v Walters & Stryker & Rave (ROH)

06/12/04 - C.M. Punk v Samoa Joe (ROH)

06/24/04 - Bryan Danielson v Austin Aries (ROH)

07/23/04 - Aries & Strong & Evans v Walters & Stryker & Jacobs (ROH

07/24/04 - Rocky Romero v Chad Collyer (ROH)

07/24/04 - Strong & Evans v Walters & Stryker (ROH)

08/07/04 - Bryan Danielson v Austin Aries (ROH)

09/16/04 - Bryan Danielson v AJ Styles (IWA-MS)

09/18/04 - Bryan Danielson v Mike Quakenbush (IWA-MS)

Those are the best matches I have seen from 2004. 06/24/04 Bryan Danielson v Jack Evans is a super fun match so I would recommend going out of your way to see that one as well.

The 5/22 Gen Next v Briscoes/Walters/Rave is probably ***-***1/4ish. Ran WAY too long, had some good work mixed with some sloppy work. The 6/12 trios, 7/23 trios, and 7/24 tag are all HUGE IMPROVEMENTS on the 5/22 match.

Guest Dynamite Kido
Homicide vs. Spanky 5/15 ROH deserves a spot. Criminally underrated.

REALLY? Now Mike I will say I haven't watched this match since I originally got it(I think I got it when it first came out), but I remember not liking it at all. I take it maybe I should give it a rewatch???

Spanky v Homicide is another match that does deserve mentioning. Left it off my list because I haven't seen it since I sent it to Mike. Very deserving. Homicide's follow up to his great match with Danielson.

Also could some body list the best matches of AmDrag, Samoa Joe, Super Dragon, Chris Hero,CM Punk, Trent Acid, Alex Shelly and Homicide of 2004?

Ah I'm not up on my ROH/IWA:MS but I could help you with Super Dragon... my favorites so far:

Super Dragon/American Dragon Vs. Excalibur/Jonny Storm - PWG "Tango and Cash"

Super Dragon/American Dragon Vs. X-Foundation - PWG "Tango and Cash"

Super Dragon Vs. Babi Slymm - RevPro "One Step Beyond"

Super Dragon Vs. Scorpio Sky - PWG "Kee_ The _ee"

Super Dragon Vs. Chris Bosh - RevPro June 2004

Super Dragon/Excalibur Vs. X-Foundation - PWG Rocktoberfest

Super Dragon Vs. CM Punk - PWG "A Reason for the Reason"

Super Dragon Vs. Samoa Joe - PWG "Secret of The Ooze"

Super Dragon Vs. Chris Hero - PWG "Next Show"

Super Dragon Vs. B-Boy Vs. Bobby Quance Vs. Excalibur - CZW High Stakes Day Show

It's a very good traditional match. Starting off early with the mat stuff that Spanky is better at, frustrating Cide and establishing Spanky as the babyface. Cide's heat segment was great too, since his neckbreakers are really good and the neck submission mixed with the middle finger was a great touch. All of Spanky's comebacks were quick flurries, usually involving high flying, and Cide did a great job putting them down with the top rope double underhook superplex, the belly to belly and the tiger driver. Spanky kept his offense basic, but he does everything so well which is what puts him on a different level than guys like Sydal. It's not your typical indyfest face-face even match, but it was damn good.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Well, by the sound of things....maybe I should rewatch that one pronto.

Wow, I used pronto in a sentence.......I should be killed for that.

I'd like to comment on Punk v. Joe:

Really, really good story told, but it kind of broke down towards the end (work-wise) because Joe looked like he was going to keel over and die on some of the spots; a lot of which Punk was calling really loudly. But you could probably blame that on the camerawork, which for some reason decided to stick to those really close up angles at those moments in the match.

Speaking of the camera- the dirty lens on World Title Classic is distracting as all hell.

I can't wait for the rematch; but I'm hoping it'll be for the No. 1 Contendership, since I'm rooting for Danielson on 10/2.

Guest DeathBecomesYou

One match that i'm suprised hasn't been pimped more was the elimination tag B-Boy/Homicide/Hero vs Punk/Whitmer/Joe match from IWAMS 5/30. It's one of the better matches of the year for mine, the only complaint about it was Whitmer attacking Punk was never explained, but aside from that the match itself and especially the exchanges between Joe and Hero were very good.

Try to find the Sabotage/Adrenaline and Maverick Wild/Antonio Thomas NECW match from March '04. ***1/2 for Sabotage/Adrenaline, and ***3/4 for Wild/Thomas, IMO. Easily the best matches NECW has produced until Birthday Bash '04 (only saying this because I haven't seen Birthday Bash '04 yet, but I think they're giving free copies to those at the DVD release party next week, which I'm attending).

Guest The Last Free Voice

Second City Saints vs. The Prophecy ROH 1/10

Jay vs. Joe in the Cage

Punk vs. Joe

Ummm... That's all I got for now.

Guest OSIcon
Really, really good story told, but it kind of broke down towards the end (work-wise) because Joe looked like he was going to keel over and die on some of the spots.

Wasn't that the point though? The story of the match is that Punk doesn't think Joe can endure a long match, so he is simply going to try and stay alive until Joe gasses out. For me, Joe being tired added to the match because it gave the nearfalls and the home stretch a better sense of urgency. It was realistic for Joe to be tired. Most anybody, especially those who are Joe's weight, would be tried after the pace he worked in that match. I don't expect all wrestlers to wrestle like they are super heroes. Now if he got gassed after a 10 minute match AND he was supposed to act as if he was as strong as ever, then that would be a different story....

As for the best matches this year.....

For gimmick matches, Samoa Joe vs. Jay Briscoe (ROH - 3/13) steel cage match is probably the front runner. Granted, I haven't seen many indy gimmick matches this year, but Joe and Jay work a really solid cage match complete with the kind of balde job you like to see in a feud-ending cage match.

Austin Aires vs. Bryan Danielson (ROH - 8/7) is the best 'long' match I've seen this year. It is a 75 minute 2/3 falls match, so you've got to have the time and patience to watch it. You also need to see their match on 6/24, as well as the 4/12/03 London vs. Danielson match in order to fully appreciate all the little details they add. As far as depth goes, no match beats it this year. There are a couple of sloppy spots and Danielson gets knocked out legit about halfway in, but they way they recover from those moments make the match even better. The 60 minute draw between Samoa Joe and CM Punk (ROH - 6/12) is also a very strong long singles match. I thought Punk vs. Chris Hero (IWA-MS - 6/11) was good, but not great. The general story they go for is pretty strong (especially when it is looked at alongside the story from Punk-Joe the next night), but the work lacks a little in places.

There hasn't really been a blow away standard tag match this year. All the Briscoe vs. Second City Saint matches (ROH - 4/24, 5/15, and 7/23) had really strong points, but also big flaws. The 4/24 match bulds really well, but the ending has no structure and is just 5 minutes of running through big moves, no legal men, ect. 7/23 (2/3 falls) is the same. First two falls are really good, but the match ends with the same old "Everyone in the ring doing moves" sequence. The ending isn't as bad as the one on 4/24 though. 5/15 was better all around but not as good in the beginning sections as the other two. Collyer/Walters vs. Jack Evans/Roderick Strong (ROH - 7/24) is a sleeper hit. It is a really well worked southern tag. Another good tag match you probabky won't here about is the Havana Pitbulls vs. Samoa Joe/Bobby Quance from the NJPW-USA TV #4. It runs about 12-15 minutes (with commercials) and does a really good job in establishing a story and having good work to go along with it. There are some decent to good tags on the IWA-MS tag tournament show and the PWG tag tournament.

There's been some really good muilt-man tag matches in ROH since May. The 8-man tag on 5/22 goes about 45 minutes and is non-stop wrestling the whole time. Generation Next also had a very good six man against Walters/Stryker/Jacobs on 6/12. The 7/17 main event is a six man tag with Joe/Briscoes vs. Homicide/Pitbulls. It is a really good combination of good work and storytelling.

Other matches worth checking out:

Samoa Joe vs. Bryan Danielson (PWG 'The Musical') - Good 30 minute draw. They don't go all out as they are saving for their eventual re-match, but it is a really good "first match" in their PWG feud.

Bryan Danielson vs. Rocky Romero (Inoki Dojo - 4/16)

Danielson vs. Homicide (ROH - 4/24)

Austin Aires vs. Danielson (ROH - 6/24)

All of Arik Cannon's recent matches in IWA-MS (vs. Danielson, vs. Homicide, ect.) are all generally good also.

I'd just like to say that none of these matches are as good as Kenta Kobashi vs. Yoshihiro Takayama for the GHC Belt on the 4.25.04 NOAH Budokan Hall show. But American indies still rule.

Yeah. Go Indies.

Guest bottyboy
04/16/04 - Bryan Danielson v Rocky Romero (New Japan USA)

04/24/04 - Bryan Danielson v Homicide (Ring of Honor)

06/12/04 - Shelley & Aries & Strong v Walters & Stryker & Rave (ROH)

06/12/04 - C.M. Punk v Samoa Joe (ROH)

06/24/04 - Bryan Danielson v Austin Aries (ROH)

07/23/04 - Aries & Strong & Evans v Walters & Stryker & Jacobs (ROH

07/24/04 - Rocky Romero v Chad Collyer (ROH)

07/24/04 - Strong & Evans v Walters & Stryker (ROH)

08/07/04 - Bryan Danielson v Austin Aries (ROH)

09/16/04 - Bryan Danielson v AJ Styles (IWA-MS)

09/18/04 - Bryan Danielson v Mike Quakenbush (IWA-MS)

Those are the best matches I have seen from 2004. 06/24/04 Bryan Danielson v Jack Evans is a super fun match so I would recommend going out of your way to see that one as well.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm going to try to buy everything on Cook's list from ROH...

Guest JebusNassedar
I'd have my doubts about that, because the most recent Kobashi I've seen, Kobashi/Nagata from around May last year, sucked balls.

I think the main problem there is that you're expecting good wrestling from Nagata. I dont get the love for him. He's just a cheap Jun Akiyama with a shitty figure four.

Anyways.

My favorite indy match of the year would have to be Samoa Joe VS. Jay Briscoe, followed closely by Survival of the Fittest Match, and Trent Acid/Teddy Hart, although that MIGHT have been near the end of last year. I'm not entirely sure.