TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

Bill O'Reilly Vs. Jon Stewart

(AP) The folks at Comedy Central were annoyed when Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly kept referring to "The Daily Show" audience as "stoned slackers."

So they did a little research. And guess whose audience is more educated?

Viewers of Jon Stewart's show are more likely to have completed four years of college than people who watch "The O'Reilly Factor," according to Nielsen Media Research.

O'Reilly's teasing came when Stewart appeared on his show earlier this month.

"You know what's really frightening?" O'Reilly said. "You actually have an influence on this presidential election. That is scary, but it's true. You've got stoned slackers watching your dopey show every night and they can vote."

Comedy Central executives realized, and O'Reilly acknowledged, that he was poking fun. But they said they didn't want a misconception to persist. [Comedy Central and CBS are owned by Viacom.]

"If the head of General Motors was watching O'Reilly's show, that could be very important to us," said Doug Herzog, Comedy Central president.

"If you listen to O'Reilly, you get the sense that it was crazy longhairs behind the show," he said. "And it's not. It's great, smart television that attracts a well-compensated audience, most of whom are voting age."

Relax, said Fox News Channel spokesman Rob Zimmerman.

"Comedy Central must have lost their sense of humor," Zimmerman said. "Without Jon Stewart, Comedy Central would turn into the Great American Country Channel."

Comedy Central also touted a recent study by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, which said young viewers of "The Daily Show" were more likely to answer questions about politics correctly than those who don't.

Comedy Central had no statistics on how many people watch "The Daily Show" stoned.

Although seemingly taken aback by repeated "stoned slackers" references while talking with O'Reilly, Stewart was ready with a joke.

"This election is going to rely on the undecided," he said. "And who is more undecided than stoned slackers? Ice cream or pretzels? Ice cream or pretzels? What's it going to be?

Whether it's the slacker or no-slacker zone, O'Reilly is entering it Oct. 7, when he's scheduled to appear on "The Daily Show."

So if Stewart's audience is comprised of stoned slackers, how would Herzog describe O'Reilly's audience?

"I'm not getting into that game," he said.

So we should get this here in Canada later on the Comedy Network, right?

Guest CronoT

Bill O'Reilly is the political equivalent of a school yard bully. It doesn't surprise me that he degrades people who watch "The Daily Show." O'Reilly is less annoying than Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh, in that he just makes shit up as he goes, unlike Hannity or Limbaugh, who spend their time making shit up and then distorting the real news to reflect their current "topic *cough*smear-tactic*cough* of the day."

Personally, I think of Hannity and Limbaugh as the radio talk show equivalent of The National Enquirer or Weekly World News.

Oh Jesus H. Christ it was probably a joke. This thread pushed me over the edge -- I'm going to now get a "No Spin Zone" doormat for the house.

And I'd rather put my faith into someone that has had a lifetime of experience than some college grad...

Oh Jesus H. Christ it was probably a joke. This thread pushed me over the edge -- I'm going to now get a "No Spin Zone" doormat for the house.

And I'd rather put my faith into someone that has had a lifetime of experience than some college grad...

Yikes, struck a nerve there! Indeed it was a joke. Calm down hippie.

Can't wait to see O'Reilly continue to angle for Dan Rathers job. The Daily Show apperance outta be good.

I really don't see the controversy here. O'Reilly joked about it, Comedy Central realized it, but said that stoners aren't the only ones who watched the show. No big deal, as far as I'm concerned.

O'Reilly did not "joke" about it.

Read the transcript and watch the interview. He calls the audience "stoned slackers" at least ten times throughout the interview, and pretty much made it known that he thinks nothing of the Daily Show audience.

Stewart riffed on O'Reilly pretty bad last night for both the "stoned slackers" comment and his interviews with Bush.

O'Reilly (taped): "No matter what, you have to respect the President for coming onto the Factor."

Stewart: "So we have to respect the President for answering questions coming from one of the most conservative men on what is arguably the most conservative news network in America?"

Four years of college is overrated IMO. I know a ton of folks with degrees and while they hold a bit on me in terms of booksmarts, quite of few of them seriously lack in the common sense department.

I don't put much stock in 4 years of college. Michael Savage has 2 masters, but I wouldn't call him a genius. Usually I have to meet or hear someone talk for awhile before I assume them to be smart. Other than that, most of the world to me is assumed to be dumb as fuck.

Funny thing is O'Reilly and Stewart taking themselves so seriously. They are both jokes in terms of their tv. O'Reilly takes himself seriously. but the network he works for is a joke. Stewart's show is parody and if you interpret anything on his show as actual news, you are a nimrod.

Bottom Line: O'Reilly is an editorial show and Stewart is parody. If any of you actually get your "news" from any one of these wizards, you should be sterilized.

Stewart's show is parody and if you interpret anything on his show as actual news, you are a nimrod.

I get worried when Stewart starts thinking he's a legitimate authority on anything, personally. I stopped watching the Daily Show for this reason. When Stewart only bashes the right, it's not funny.

O'Reilly (taped): "No matter what, you have to respect the President for coming onto the Factor."

Stewart: "So we have to respect the President for answering questions coming from one of the most conservative men on what is arguably the most conservative news network in America?"

:rolleyes:

Well, I guess someone like him would think Bill is "one of the most conservative men on what is arguably the most conservative news network in America."

Yeah, Bill is more conservative than

Ollie North

Sean Hannity

Cal Thomas

Jim Pinkerton

Neal Cavuto

John Gibson

John Kasich

Newt Gingrich

Charles Krauthamer

Fred Barnes

Michael Barone

Brit Hume

Tony Snow

Hey, that specific cable news network has a lot of Republicans on -- I wonder why?...

For fuck sake, Jon ADMITTED last night he took it as a joke!

Comedy Central took it seriously, not Jon Stewart and the Daily Show.

Christ on a spear, Stewart constantly calls his audience stoned slackers DURING HIS OWN SHOW!

I dislike Bill with a passion but come on, the only ones who didn't get the joke were Comedy Central.

Bill knew what was saying (hell, repeating Jon to be exact), Stewart got it, Comedy Central did not. End of the story.

Stewart's show is parody and if you interpret anything on his show as actual news, you are a nimrod.

I get worried when Stewart starts thinking he's a legitimate authority on anything, personally. I stopped watching the Daily Show for this reason. When Stewart only bashes the right, it's not funny.

Stewart doesn't only bash the right, hell he has been laying into Kerry as well just as early as last night. The Daily Show doesn't associate with either side. Hence, Lewis Black being part of the show. Stewart even today his audience to basically "shut up" when they tried to pull some kind of booing fit at a Republican guest one night.

The Daily Show makes fun of what is in the news, the right was the only section in the news for a few weeks.

Comedy Central thinks it's a legit news source, I think it's pretty close, Stewart still doesn't.

Funny thing is O'Reilly and Stewart taking themselves so seriously. They are both jokes in terms of their tv. O'Reilly takes himself seriously. but the network he works for is a joke. Stewart's show is parody and if you interpret anything on his show as actual news, you are a nimrod.

Bottom Line: O'Reilly is an editorial show and Stewart is parody. If any of you actually get your "news" from any one of these wizards, you should be sterilized.

I get my news from CBS....

But Jon Stewart thought the whole thing was a...

wait for it...

A JOKE.

No one is talking about getting their news from any of those sources. This is a non story if you ask me

There was an interview with Stewart in Newsweek (or Time). One of the questions asked was how he felt about being a "voice" for politics. Paraphrased, he said it scared him shitless that some people would think this about him and the show. He dishes out the jabs to both parties equally. You should start watching the show again Czech because your comment is totally off-base (even though I know it seems like there is a liberal bias on the show, there really isn't since both sides get reamed well equally. I mean, it *is* filmed in NY and the populace there is heavily democratic for the most part or at least in the polls anyways so this line of thinking isn't completely out of touch).

Stewart's a really bright guy and he knows that what he does for a living is making bad jokes at the expense of the dumb or stupid things politicians do. That's always been the focus of the show and one of the reasons why it's one of the few shows I try to watch whenever possible.

just because they make fun of both sides doesn't mean there's no bias. the daily show lays into the bush administration with considerably more venom than kerry. they make fun of kerry for being boring and standoffish; bush, cheney, et al. have been called everything from hopelessly incompetent to evil. sometimes even the insults to kerry actually do more to backhand bush. i remember stewart saying once in response to a sound byte of kerry getting into an argument on 'good morning america', "how come kerry sounds more like an asshole when he's telling the truth than bush does when he's lying?" the show has a pretty considerable left-wing slant.

Guest El Satanico

Daily Show only seems biased to democrates, because the Republicans are currently in office and they get the most press coverage. A mock news show can only mock what the real news channels covers. The majority of the Daily Show audience clearly has a bias, but not so much the show.

Daily Show is actually one of the few programs this election to give both sides equal due and not show a bias to one side.

Stewart has never taken anything Daily Show does serious.

Daily Show only seems biased to democrates, because the Republicans are currently in office and they get the most press coverage.

Bingo.

I haven't watched the Daily Show in a long time, but that's mostly because I find the new reporters unfunny, and the last few times I tuned in I wasn't amused -- It wasn't an OMG BIASED LIBERAL MEDIA feeling I had, it was more of a straight-faced unfunny feeling I get, especially when I have SNL on.

Don't even start whining, Bob...

No one is talking about getting their news from any of those sources. This is a non story if you ask me

"The Daily Show: where more people get their news than probably should."

I haven't watched the Daily Show in a long time, but that's mostly because I find the new reporters unfunny, and the last few times I tuned in I wasn't amused

Yeah, me too.

Stewart himself is okay most of the time, and his comment on American Jews vs. Israeli Jews had me rolling.

He certainly beats that smug asshole they used to have.

Back in Black was my favorite segment on that show, though.

The rationale of focusing on the Republican party more than the Democrats is because "they (Reps) control the White House, the Senate, and the Supreme Court", so when the Republicans fail to do something, they really have no one to blame but themselves. With the more power they have, the more responsibility they have to use it properly. I inferred what they meant by the quote, but generally it's because the Republicans control politics, and they're a political news parody show.

The Daily Show is going to make more jokes about whichever party is in power at the time because that's the party under a microscope of scrutiny. Back in Black is the best thing that The Daily Show has produced. I don't think the reporters are that funny either, except for Stephen Colbert who is goddamn hilarious. He should replace Jon as host whenever he leaves, IMO.

I know a ton of folks with degrees and while they hold a bit on me in terms of booksmarts, quite of few of them seriously lack in the common sense department.

There were so many degree-heavy profs in my college classes who didn't know how to work the room's VCR that it got to be a running gag with me and few friends.

I don't put much stock in 4 years of college. Michael Savage has 2 masters, but I wouldn't call him a genius.

Commie.

Usually I have to meet or hear someone talk for awhile before I assume them to be smart. Other than that, most of the world to me is assumed to be dumb as fuck.

So how many posts did it take you to made that latter assessment of me -- one or two posts?...

Sometimes the bias can get irritating (sometimes Stewart seems like he's pandering liberal views to get a cheap pop), but overall it's hard not to love the tongue-in-check quality to the show. Generally, I think BACK IN BLACK is the best part of the show. If anyone takes equal shots at parties, it's Lewis Black.

He's like the Sam Kinnison of our Generation.

Bob Wiltfong is fucking brutal.

Either they intentionally give him terrible stories or he just isn't as quick as the other correspondents, because he's probably made me laugh once through his five or six segments.

Four years of college is overrated IMO. I know a ton of folks with degrees and while they hold a bit on me in terms of booksmarts, quite of few of them seriously lack in the common sense department.

I forget who said it, probably Al Franken, but on the PETA episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit, there's a quote that fits into this.

Only a college graduate could say something so stupid.

So how many posts did it take you to made that latter assessment of me -- one or two posts?...

My assessment of you as dumb as fuck came when you couldn't spell the word "make".

Dummy :bonk: