TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

MLB Game Chatter Thread

I've got the A's/Angels game. The A's had a sloppy second inning and gave up four runs. The A's have absolutely NO confidence in Mulder right now, as Joe Blanton is now pitching in the third. Hopefully the A's can come back.

Guest Smues

And the celebration finally comes to a close, and now there's a nice white haze on the camera from the firework smoke. Now if only Bonds had been batting, I was curious if they'd cut for him.

Guest Smues

And there's Ichiro's 100th run scored of the year. This guy's numbers would be insane for his career if he'd started in MLB and not Japan.

Guest Anglesault
And there's Ichiro's 100th run scored of the year. This guy's numbers would be insane for his career if he'd started in MLB and not Japan.

In a sense, I feel bad for him. If he came ten years earlier, he could make a serious run at Rose.

Guest Smues

My thoughts exactly. Although I still think he can get 3,000, depending on how fast/slow his skills decline as he gets older.

That was a great moment. One question, does Ichiro speak English? He seemed to be having a conversation with Sisler's relatives.

Like I said earlier, I love watching stuff like this live. It's the kinda stuff I'll remember when I'm 60 thinking about the good old days, kinda like people do about Mays, Aaron, etc.

Guest Anglesault
One question, does Ichiro speak English? He seemed to be having a conversation with Sisler's relatives.

Well enough that you can have a conversation anyway. I heard him and A-Rod talking about Matsui from the AS game last year. A little broken, but solid.

Guest Smues

yeah there's no guarentee he can get 3000, but it's viable. Which is insane for someone who started at what, age 27? He's at I think 920 now.

Guest Anglesault
If he gets 200 hits a year for the next 10 years (which would make him 40) he would still be shy of 3000.

I could see him push 45.

Guest Smues

I think the biggest issue will be his speed since that accounts for a chunk of his hits. He leads the inning off with 258, and now the m's have 7 straight hits and unless there's a dp he'll batting again this inning.

Guest Smues

If Ichiro hadn't had such a horrible April(didn't he bat like .230) he'd probably be at .400.

Ichiro started in the Japanese league at the age of 18. If you combine his numbers in Japan and MLB, he has 2,198 career hits. Obviously Japan isn't on the same level as MLB, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Guest Anglesault
If Ichiro hadn't had such a horrible April(didn't he bat like .230) he'd probably be at .400.

Ichiro was real bad in the beginning of the year.

Guest Smues

I've been told by people who follow the M's more closely the hitting coach Paul Molitor told him to try to swing for power more so he adjusted his swing and that's why he had such a horrible start of the season. If that's true and Molitor cost us a .400 hitter I'd be pretty made.

Guest Anglesault
I've been told by people who follow the M's more closely the hitting coach Paul Molitor told him to try to swing for power more so he adjusted his swing and that's why he had such a horrible start of the season. If that's true and Molitor cost us a .400 hitter I'd be pretty made.

Damn that Molitor.

Eh, you can't get mad at Paul Molitor. It's like getting mad at Orel Hershiser. I can't get mad at my childhood.

Guest Anglesault
I'd be very surprised if Ichiro lasts until he is 45.  He relies on speed, which will hurt him when he gets older and starts to lose it.  But he could easily last til 40.

Rickey still had decent speed towards the end, didn't he?

Edited by Anglesault

TORONTO (AP) -- Orlando Hernandez has a tired arm and doesn't know whether he'll be able to start in the playoffs.

El Duque lost his second straight start, allowing five runs in three innings Friday night as the Toronto Blue Jays beat the New York Yankees 7-0 behind David Bush's two-hitter.

``Maybe my arm needs a little rest,'' said Hernandez, who missed the 2003 season because of shoulder surgery. ``I'm feeling tired. It's normal for the rehab. I didn't start for a long time.''

Hernandez (8-2), pushed back three days in the rotation because of a tired shoulder, gave up five hits and three walks as he repeatedly threw soft pitches. While he didn't feel any pain, Hernandez said through a translator that he's ``forcing his arm'' and ``that's not good.''

I'd be very surprised if Ichiro lasts until he is 45.  He relies on speed, which will hurt him when he gets older and starts to lose it.  But he could easily last til 40.

Rickey still had decent speed towards the end, didn't he?

He still has decent speed NOW. But very few people are Rickey Henderson. I think a Tim Raines, Tony Gwynn is more of the model to look at here. Of course, he could always be the next Julio Franco. You never know. But very few hitters last beyond 40.

Guest GreatOne

and there it is, I'll be glad to say I was wrong :D

Only bad thing about it is it's sorta overshadowing the Edgar retirement weekend but hell at least he got it out of the way right off the bat so the last two days can belong to the all-time HR and RBI leader among DHs.

Guest Anglesault
Fuck. The A's will need to win the last two games of the season to make the Playoffs.

To be fair, it's early October, where the A's go to die. They're actually right on schedule for their annual chokejob, but the regular season schedule is a little screwy this year.