TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Good/Great matches between bad wrestlers

No, I'm not talking about HBK carrying Kevin Nash to a ****1/2 match. I'm talking about a match in which BOTH wrestlers were known throughout their career as guys who didn't have good matches, but for whatever reason they came up with a good or a great match against each other. Can you think of some?

Guest Staravenger

A Kane vs. Prince Albert match from Smackdown in 2001 gets praise for being a really good match. Kanes best matches are from superior workers, ditto Albert. Here, they somehow dragged a *** match out of each other.

Hogan v Warrior WM 6 (although the quality has been debated over the years)

Nash/Luger from a Raw in the summer of 94? (Think it is on one of the best Of Raw tapes) Edit: match was on the 7/18/94 edition of Raw

Bossman/Barbarian from RR 91 (Bossman was obviously on the decline here and Barbarian was his usual self, but it turned into a pretty good match)

Tatanka/Smoking Gunns v Bigelow/Headshriners from Summerslam 93

I believe that there was a match between Vader- Hacksaw that was better then it should have been.

there was also a great match between the Bossman and Vader from Spring Stampede 94.

i was gonna mention the Test/Kane match from No Mercy 01 too. I always tought it was a pretty good big man match, with some cool power moves(and flying) from both.

I wouldn't call local indy workers Steve King or Johnny Idol anything above "average" workers (aside from King's psychology and selling, and Idol's heel schtick that he has down almost as good as Kid Kash does), but they had a "Wave the Flag" match (where their flagbearer would wave the flag whenever they felt their respective wrestler - in this case, King chose "Brutal" Bob Evans, and Idol chose Ru Starr - couldn't take anymore) that was around **3/4.

Yuck, that match was AWFUL (Kane/Test No Mercy 2001), and I was a big Test mark during the Alliance run and "T & A" years.

I remember thinking this match was a decent power match when I saw it first, and then was surprised to see people on here had it down as one of the worst 20 matches EVER.

Guest Staravenger
there was also a great match between the Bossman and Vader from Spring Stampede 94.

You do realize Vader was probably the best worker in WCW from 1992-1994? And that Ray Traylor didn't suck until around 1996.

Guest fanofcoils

Nash/Luger from a Raw in the summer of 94? (Think it is on one of the best Of Raw tapes)  Edit:  match was on the  7/18/94 edition  of Raw

Bossman/Barbarian from RR 91 (Bossman was obviously on the decline  here and Barbarian was his usual self, but it turned into a pretty good match)

Bossman was on the decline in early 1991? Try around mid 1995.

Hogan vs. Vince, WM XIX. Seeing Vince give Hogan the legdrop from the ladder, along with Vince's look when he finds the pipe makes the match entertaining. :D

Shane Douglas vs Justin Credible at ECW CyberSlam 99 (Douglas was about past his prime and Credible's always sucked, so when I downloaded this I wasn't expecting anything good. I was suprised, they could work such a great match. Really intense, stiff, bloody, awesome brawl. Both men were at their best for that match.)

Nash/Luger from a Raw in the summer of 94? (Think it is on one of the best Of Raw tapes)  Edit:  match was on the  7/18/94 edition  of Raw

Bossman/Barbarian from RR 91 (Bossman was obviously on the decline  here and Barbarian was his usual self, but it turned into a pretty good match)

eh, Bossman's last couple of years in the WWF were not that pretty (in his 1st run), watch his match with Bigelow at Royal Rumble 93

Guest Staravenger

Exactly how many GOOD singles matches did Bigelow have in the WWF from 1992-1995? Exactly. Just because Boss Man couldn't carry him to a good match (where he was SQUASHED by the way) doesn't mean anything.

Wrath vs Nash from Nitro before the decline. Wrath was on the rise and OBVIOUSLY should have been given the win since the crowd loved him and his finisher.

It was actually a solid match, which shocked the living hell out of me since it was NASH and BRYAN ADAMS for god sake! Lots of false finishes, both escaped the others finisher countless times until Nash hit the Powerbomb (probably the best he delivered in YEARS) and won the match.

Course, Nash's idea of giving Wrath his heat back was to go "wow" and do a big sigh....yup, that got the crowd right back behind Wrath.

Still, shockingly good match.

Guest fanofcoils

eh, Bossman's last couple of years in the WWF were not that pretty (in his 1st run), watch his match with Bigelow at Royal Rumble 93

Bossman was on his way out. I don't see how Bossman was worse in the early 90s than the late 80s. If anything he was better because he was more experienced without being old and he wasn't as fat.

Guest Staravenger

Good pick. They somehow got a ***+ match out of each other, while @ the 1997 Rumble PPV had a pretty dull match.

Raven/Richards Vs. Pitbulls

Raven ended up being quite a wrestler in the middle of his WCW career, and was never a poor wrestler, but nothing special. Richards was an entertaining character, and maybe a good bumper, but nothing else.

Scott Keith gives it 5 stars, which is nuts, but it IS a wonderfully entertaining match, with two of the sickest table spots ever, drama, and evil referee Fonzie.

Another overbooked marvel is Funk/Onita 5/5/93. Both guys were pretty damn old by this point, but with some truly creative booking, and a kickass finish that I would love to see again, it really stands out.

The only time Vader can be considered a mediocre wrestler is his WWE stint, and he's my choice for best big man of all time.

Guest Ray
Lets not forget Vader/Undertaker from Canadian Stampede.

Neither man is a bad wrestler. Vader is great and Taker is more than capable when he's not lazy.

I'll probably get killed for saying this, but the Big Show/Viscera match from 1999 I thought was pretty damn good.

I agree with you 100%. This match was 10 times better than it had any right to be. Now I wont go giving it **** or anything, but I have no problem giving it ** 1/2 - *** . Big Show even used a missle dropkick to win the match. :headbang: