TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

The ALCS: New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox

God, I'm debating wether of not to close this thread so we don't have to hear how Jeff Weaver and Jeff Weaver alone lost the Series last year AGAIN.

Question for Al (or whoever can dig up the stats); which team relies on the HR ball to score runs more often? Just curious.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent

I hope the loss doesn't fuck with his head. But definately, if he needs to deactivate himself for the series, I'd understand. I need to know if I should bet against the Sox.

Guest Anglesault
The Yanks led the league in homers if that counts for anything.

I think the Cubs had a higher percentage.

God, I'm debating wether of not to close this thread so we don't have to hear how Jeff Weaver and Jeff Weaver alone lost the Series last year AGAIN.

I specifically mentioned Wells' back and barely said anything about Weaver. All I said was that the Yankees were a better team than Florida. We fot derailed by unfortunate events.

2 electrocutados en casa de Mariano

Yodalis Betancourt | Crítica en Línea

Al parecer el niño tocó un cable y su padre al ver lo que ocurría, trató de salvarlo.

Un padre y su hijo murieron ayer electrocutados en la mansión del grandes ligas chorrerano, Mariano Rivera. Víctor Darío Avila, de 35 años, mejor conocido como "Yeye", primo hermano de la esposa del jugador de los Yankees, y su hijo Víctor Leonel Avila, de 14 años, murieron dentro de la piscina que estaban limpiando.

Al parecer el niño tocó un cable y su padre al ver lo que ocurría, trató de salvarlo.

Escenas desgarradoras se dieron en las afueras de la casa de Mariano Rivera, quien mientras lanzaba contra Los Mellizos de Minnesota, su gente lloraba desconsolada la muerte del pescador Víctor y su hijo.

A father and his son died yesterday, electrocuted in the mansion of Mariano Rivera.  Víctor Darío Avila, 35 years old, better known as "Yeye", brother of the wife of the player of the Yankees, and son Víctor Leonel Avila, 14 years old, died inside the pool that they were cleaning.

Just want to point out that Primo Hermano= First Cousin

I'll put an end to Anglesault's ranting

The 2003 WS trophy will forever say "Florida Marlins", not the New York Yankees, no matter how much better they may have been during the regular season and in the AL playoffs

And I don't want to see this thread closed

Guest Anglesault
I'll put an end to Anglesault's ranting

The 2003 WS trophy will forever say "Florida Marlins", not the New York Yankees, no matter how much better they may have been during the regular season and in the AL playoffs

Absolutely.

Guest Rrrsh
By the time one of them makes it to play St. Louis in the Series, they will have been drained emotionally and physically...just as the Yanks looked against Florida last season.

And we still should have won.

You lost to the better team, get over it.

Very arguable.

How? You lost in 6 to a Pitcher who picthed a Shutout.

Dude, u guys have lost in three strigaht years to better teams. Its fact, my brotha

Guest Rrrsh
Their pitching was better than the Yanks, but the Yanks had the better offense.

Florida won 4, the Yanks won 2. I'd say Florida was the better team.

The Yankees were also completely derailed by the worst pitcher in baseball and a surprise (or maybe not so surprise) back injury.

The Marlins were better that series. They weren't the better team.

And the better team capitalizes on opportunities like that to win.

They were the better team that week. No doubt about it.

You were the best REGULAR SEASON team. But the best teams comes to play in the Playoffs. You guys were just second best when it mattered. Its the fact of sports.

Guest Anglesault
How? You lost in 6 to a Pitcher who picthed a Shutout.

The Yankees played better baseball than Florida for six of seven months. They were the better team.

The Marlins were the better team in the World Series.

Guest Rrrsh

So was Seattle the best team in 2001? No, they wern't. Being the best team in Regular Season dosn't mean your the best. Your the best when you win a championship

Guest Anglesault
So was Seattle the best team in 2001?

Yes.

Shit happens in the playoffs. Teams get hot. Teams get cold. Same thing for pitchers and hitters. The best team rarely wins.

Guest Anglesault

Back to the series at hand, I think the worst thing the Red Sox can (and will) do is overestimate the ability of Bronson Arroyo.

Guest Anglesault
Agreed. I'd still think about Wakefield over Arroyo for a Game 3 start, because of experience and all. Only problem is that Wakefield hasn't been as good as he was last year, and you lose Varitek in the lineup.

Wakefield is also a Yankee Killer, though.

Before someone jumps and starts foaming at the mouth, The Yankees know what Arroyo is capable of doing. Do the Red Sox know what he's incapable of doing? They, as much as they might hope for, do NOT have a third ace in their deck. I don't know of the Red Sox realize that.

Guest Rrrsh

I personally think Derek Lowe should start Game 3. He is a lot better at home than on the road, and I think its crutial that Varetek isn;t sacraficed for the streaky Wakefeild.

But whats even more important than all of this, Pedro CAN NOT pitch on three days rest. It HAS to be Schill, Pedro, Starter A, Schill, Starter B, Pedro, Schill.

Where is it printed where the Sox are tauting Arroyo as a number 1-C? He's a serviceable number three, he pitched well at the stadium last month and pitched

well Friday.

But just to rile some people up, I'm going to suggest pitching Wakefield in game 1, given his performance last year in the playoffs (Game 7 not withstanding) and have

Schilling go in Game 2. Pedro would start game 3 at the Fens. This way you still have the ability to pitch 1-A and 1-B twice in the series if necessary. Plus, I think Wakefield matches up well against Moose (see game 1 of 03) and Curt matches up really well against Jon Lieber. Assuming El Duque is on the shelf still.

Just mt 2 cents.

Oh, and I know that Sox already have the rotation set with Curt going in game 1, I'm just throwing this out for the sdake of argument. And I'm bored.

Guest Anglesault
I personally think Derek Lowe should start Game 3. He is a lot better at home than on the road,

But...He's Derek Lowe.

Wow...

First of all we will not see Lowe in any of these games unless it's a blowout or extra innings because he flat out sucks.

Secondly the rotation is fine the way it was set up for the ALDS and it will remain that way. Schilling game 1, Pedro game 2, Arroyo game 3, and Wake game 4...you know the rest.

The thing about Arroyo is, he has a good track record in "Big Games" so far this season. He pitched one of his best games last week against minny, and he has pitched well against the Yankees for the most part too. Wakefield may have had the Yanks number in the ALCS last year but that was last year. I take my chances with Arroyo over Wake anyday. Also, Wakefield can be used out of the bullpen in games he doesn;t start which gives the sox more depth in their weak pen.

Lastly, Schilling will NOT pitch 3 games of this series even if it goes to game 7. With the bad ankle we will be lucky to get 2 games of 7 innings out of him as it is.

Guest Anglesault
SC intro says theres huge concern about the Yankees on Riveras ability to pitch in the series, but the Sox have HUGE concern of Schillings ankle.

So everyone's fucked.

SC intro says theres huge concern about the Yankees on Riveras ability to pitch in the series, but the Sox have HUGE concern of Schillings ankle.

So everyone's fucked.

With Mo gone, that'd put us with TWO good relievers, and one of those hadn't pitched good in their life until these last two months.

Guest Anglesault

So everyone's fucked.

With Mo gone, that'd put us with TWO good relievers, and one of those hadn't pitched good in their life until these last two months.

And Lord knows how okay Flash really is.

On the matter of last year, I'm considering the subject closed. We've discussed the series ad nauseum at this point, and there is no need to rehash it. And KingPK, I'll take care of any problems in this thread if need be.

As for Schilling's ankle, a poster made the point that Lieber's back is more of a concern. It may be, but the ankle is nothing to sneeze at. Dizzy Dean blew out his arm trying to compensate from a foot injury.

Question for Al (or whoever can dig up the stats); which team relies on the HR ball to score runs more often? Just curious.

Strictly from a HR standpoint, the Yankees. However, the Red Sox have a higher slugging percentage, and hit many more doubles, which we might expect from playing in Fenway.