TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

The ALCS: New York Yankees vs. Boston Red Sox

Guest Anglesault
What do you think the Yankees should do for firstbase next year? (assuming Bernie will become a fulltime DH, and Giambi will be hit by a comet just as he's ready to come back)

Has there ever been consideration of playing Bernie at 1B?

I think the general line of thinking is that if the 1st Basemen isn't going to be a Giambi type hitter, they want someone who can field the position.

What do you think the Yankees should do for firstbase next year? (assuming Bernie will become a fulltime DH, and Giambi will be hit by a comet just as he's ready to come back)

I think the general line of thinking is that if the 1st Basemen isn't going to be a Giambi type hitter, they want someone who can field the position.

Sometimes a player losing his skills at one position benefits defensively from a move to another position. Just because Bernie is bad at a tough position doesn't mean he'll be bad at an easier position. Probably the opposite. And if it doesn't work, they can always try someone else.

Guest Anglesault

Sometimes a player losing his skills at one position benefits defensively from a move to another position. Just because Bernie is bad at a tough position doesn't mean he'll be bad at an easier position. Probably the opposite.

I wasn't specifically saying that about Bernie. People who've never played first tend not to turn into Don Mattingly overnight.

Guest Anglesault
True. But they don't need Don Mattingly. They just need average defense to succeed there.

We have some extremely wild throwers in the infield. Olerud and Clark saved countless errors this year. I don't know if someone who's never played first would be prepared for that.

I thought I'd relive the day when everyone chewed me out for picking the Red Sox only to see them come back and win 4 straight in the end. Ah.... good times, good times. And Anglesault and mike546 in perfect form of course.

I'd figure this coulda been a classic thread. Oh well...

The AIM chats were much better than anything in this thread

Unfortunately I was using my g/f's computer for most of the time and I couldn't install an AIM logger on it.

Boo