TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ced

Any blues aficionados here?

I listened to him play a song while watching "When We Were Kings" on ESPN classic. I really liked the way his music sounds and want to pick up a CD or two. Does anybody have a good suggestion of what CDs to pick up or any particular songs to download?

The Thrill is Gone. Start with that song, then just get everything...BB is a stone genius.

Also, check out anything by Stevie Ray Vaughn and Robert Johnson.

Well, there really isn't such a thing as a bad B.B. King song, so whatever you go with will be money. I'm with snuff though. You GOTSTA start with "The Thrill is Gone." "Ain't Nobody Home" is also killer stuff.

I'll recommend that you check out, along with Robert Johnson, some Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker.

He's got like 100 albums, so don't expect to be a completist unless you've got a lot of time and money.

B.B. King has always said one of his main influences as a guitar player was T-Bone Walker, and really I'd say he's a slightly better guitarist, so I'm gonna say try him out. He was the blues first real guitar virtuoso, and all blues electric guitar goes back to him one way or another.

I DL'ed "The Thrill is Gone" just now. My God, it's absolutely beautiful. I'm sad I haven't been exposed to this kind of music until just now.

I DL'ed "The Thrill is Gone" just now. My God, it's absolutely beautiful. I'm sad I haven't been exposed to this kind of music until just now.

Is this Ced Ordonez?

Is this Ced Ordonez?

Yep. In the truncated username form.

Is this Ced Ordonez?

Yep. In the truncated username form.

Damn, I wish you would have mentioned yer liking to BB King when we worked together. I would have burned you some of my collection. I don't have much, admittingly, but what I do have I absolutely LOOOOOOVE. The Blues just does something to the soul......I can't explain it.

You should download an Eric Clapton/BB King collaboration called "Three O' Clock Blues" magical stuff.

He's got like 100 albums, so don't expect to be a completist unless you've got a lot of time and money.

B.B. King has always said one of his main influences as a guitar player was T-Bone Walker, and really I'd say he's a slightly better guitarist, so I'm gonna say try him out. He was the blues first real guitar virtuoso, and all blues electric guitar goes back to him one way or another.

Doesn't BB King still tour too?

I believe so. I know he used to tour real heavy and he slowed down with age some, but he still gets around. He did that Burger King commercial a while back "BK and BB's got something for you..." I actually thought it was pretty cool.

By the way, Ced, if you really haven't been exposed to blues at all, prepare yourself, it will be almost as if you've never listened to music before. You've got that much ground to cover. I love blues, it'd be nice to have some other fans around here to discuss with. Prewar blues I especially enjoy.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Leadbelly and Muddy Waters are my favorite blues musicians, probably.

I believe so. I know he used to tour real heavy and he slowed down with age some, but he still gets around. He did that Burger King commercial a while back "BK and BB's got something for you..." I actually thought it was pretty cool.

Oh yeah he still tours. I saw him last November here in Wheeling and it was easily the best show I've ever seen.

Just to add a name to the mix: Robert Johnson. I won't mention any songs, since I don't think it'll matter.

Thanks for adding that...

The first two mentions werent nearly enough.

not true. robert johnson & the little i've heard by blind lemon jefferson murder him on ability, with their insanely hard "play the rhythm AND the treble" method. i've never heard anyone do that technique nearly as well as they do (except stanley jordan, who doesn't count cause he's jazz).

not true. robert johnson & the little i've heard by blind lemon jefferson murder him on ability, with their insanely hard "play the rhythm AND the treble" method. i've never heard anyone do that technique nearly as well as they do (except stanley jordan, who doesn't count cause he's jazz).

Robert Johnson IS the genesis.

T-Bone Walker is definitly well worth listening to though.

Well, I actually meant to say electric guitar, but point taken. RJ and Blind Lemon are of the old school (gods of the old school really), and I generally find all old school blues to be superior to new school. T-Bone was more of a direct influence on BB though, so here's where he gets mentioned.

While I'm here, take these names as well: Son House, Blind Willie McTell, Charley Patton, and Son House again.