TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

Fuck goldberg

God, one story breaks about Goldberg accepting a buyout and now on every website on the net there is a "Goldberg to WWF" story or some other similar bullshit. Some sites (such as 411wrestling.com) are taking it to the extreme, publishing shit about how Goldberg's free agency will "shake the world of wrestling" and so on. The words "bidding war" and "huge draw" are being thrown around as usual. I think some perspective is in order:

1. If he signs anywhere but the WWF, Goldberg is nothing. He is NOT a true draw by any stretch of the imagination. Were he so, PPVs he headlined wouldn't have sub-ECW buyrates, and he would have provided some sort of return to WCW on his huge salary. In the XWF or WWA, Goldberg will mean approximately dick all. If WCW could only draw a 0.15 buyrate when they ran Goldberg vs. Steiner, why on earth should the WWA do any better with that same match? (or Jarrett vs. Goldberg for that matter)

2. Goldberg will not be that over with WWF fans. Whereas Hogan came in as a top heel and drew face pops because the fans wanted to see him, Goldberg will quite likely do the opposite. In front of "WWF crowds" (i.e. WCW shows ran in Canada) face Goldberg gets a notoriously negative reaction, similar to X-Pac (the exception being X-Pac gets them everywhere).

3. There are no true dream matches with Goldberg. Okay, MAYBE Austin vs. Goldberg, but after that what else is there? Rock vs. Goldberg? Nothing special there. Hogan vs. Goldberg? Seen it already, for free no less, and it had a pretty decisive finish. HHH vs. Goldberg? That's only interesting for smarks that know the backstory. Guys like Hogan and Flair have dream matches lined up because they are legends that represent another era of wrestling history, whereas Goldberg was a flash in the pan that was no more over than anyone else of his time (and certainly less popular than either Austin or the Rock).

4. Goldberg offers nothing special. His wrestling is sub-par, he would be about average in the WWF. His mic skills are brutal. The one thing he had to go on before, his look, is no longer unique thanks to Brock Lesnar. Whereas a guy like Hogan can get away with having bad matches through his legendary status and charisma, Goldberg has nothing of the sort. His impact would be similar to that of the non-Hogan members of the NWO.

I'm sorry I went on for so long, because I'm going to sum it all up with 2 words: Goldberg sucks.

Guest TheHulkster

If you don't think they could draw with Goldberg if used correctly, then you're foolish. He's just one of those guys, like Hogan, who, even if the match sucked, you just can't help but to markout to at live events. He got the loudest pop out of all the WCW wrestlers when Vince did the whole thumbs up/thumbs down thing last year, and he isn't a complete wreck physically like everyone on the roster. So I say Vince should go for it.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

Bill could probably draw for a *very* short time, but its just not worth *another* blow to morale.

Guest crandamaniac

After reading his book, i have a lot less respect for Goldberg.  I hope he doesn't sign, because he really doesn't care much about the business, except to get as much money as he can out of it.

Guest converge241

I dont think he is worth it at all.

He peaked out and doesnt have the long history that hogan has to draw on for nostalgia.

He doesnt care about the business.

hes injury prone.

plus WWF has a lot of cars, goldberg fears cars.

Guest buffybeast

Isn't Goldberg still injured?

Anywhoo, I think, if used correctly, Goldberg could be huge in the WWF.  Probably not for the long term, but definitely for the short term.

Guest oldschoolwrestling
Bill could probably draw for a *very* short time, but its just not worth *another* blow to morale.

I think the blow to morale was because OrangeHogan/Nashdoughnut/LastCallHall were all known as having backstage agendas/problems.  Goldberg admittedly doesn't love the sport, which is a negative, but I don't think he would bring morale down.  Unless of course they showed his contract.

Goldberg sucks an elephant's mule.

You complain about Bob Holly working stiff... this guy ended Bret Hart's career. Imagine what he could do to Steve Austin?

Goldberg sucks. And why does everyone thing Austin - Goldberg would be a dream match? Because they're both bald?

Guest dreamer420

Ending Hart's career was done by accident but the boot to the still looks vicious to this day.

Ending Hart's career was done by accident but the boot to the still looks vicious to this day.

And what could he do by accident to Austin?

"Goldberg sucks. And why does everyone thing Austin - Goldberg would be a dream match? Because they're both bald? "

LOL, so well said. I think it's due to the whole "Goldberg is a copy of Austin" thing, although it probably has more to do with Goldberg marks thinking that he's Austin's equal and so that match would somehow decide who is the biggest, totally neglecting the fact that Goldberg isn't even close to Austin or The Rock.

Guest Human Fly

I don't want the WWF to sign him just because of the fact that you know he'll get a big push, and they'll take away two minutes away from someone else's match so Goldberg can have his entrance. The fact that he is boring in my mind doesn't help either.

Guest Anglesault

It was a kick to the head, an elbow to the head and he forgot to catch Bret on the Ringpost Figure 4. That's just bad wrestling.

Guest evenflowDDT

Isn't this the same deal with Hogan though?

I agree that Goldberg is a sell-out in every sense of the word.  He's flat out admitted that the only reason he got into wrestling was for the money after he was injured playing football.  Just how did he impress whoever he impressed at WCW to push him so much anyway?

I'd love to see Goldberg get squashed, DDP style. As long as he only gets a short term contract...

By the way things look, he may EVEUNTUALLY come to the WWF, but not anytime soon. Right now, it looks like he's heading over to Japan for the first time to do some tours over there, and then he may begin serious talks with the WWF.

Guest Singular

[And why does everyone thing Austin - Goldberg would be a dream match? Because they're both bald?]

I guess so.  I've heard people call HHH and Stiener a dream match as well.  Only thing I can think about that is because they are both clearly on steroids.

None of my Dream matches involve Goldburg at all.

Guest converge241
[And why does everyone thing Austin - Goldberg would be a dream match? Because they're both bald?]

based off of them being two of the biggest draws for their respective companies at certain times. You could also say there may be some slight lingering interest from Goldberg's challenge.

Its not a dream match for me, but it would get buys from the general audience.

I saw one Goldberg mark one time that was convinced Austin vs. Goldberg would be easily the biggest draw in PPV history. Bigger than Austin vs. The Rock, The Rock vs. Hogan, any Tyson fight, etc.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Goldberg wouldn't be a draw in and of himself, but I think his dream matches could draw. The fans clearly want Goldberg to come to the WWF (intentional), but I think he wouldn't die as fast as Hogan has. I think his motive for wanting to wrestle is the $10 million the Rock got from the Scorpion King. I truly belive the Scorpion King made Goldberg want to get back into wrestling.

Guest Some Guy
I saw one Goldberg mark one time that was convinced Austin vs. Goldberg would be easily the biggest draw in PPV history. Bigger than Austin vs. The Rock, The Rock vs. Hogan, any Tyson fight, etc.

I'm not a Goldberg mark but it would have been a huge draw in 98-2000.  I bet if they promoted like Sting vs. Hogan than it eould out draw WM 17, maybe not 18 but it would be big, IMO.

i agree with the message of this post FUCK GOLDBERG he brings nothing to anyone who knows anything about wrestling he's a guy pure marks look up to no selling and running through jobbers does not make you great i hate him i hope his new car pins him once and for all

Guest Some Guy
i agree with the message of this post FUCK GOLDBERG he brings nothing to anyone who knows anything about wrestling he's a guy pure marks look up to no selling and running through jobbers does not make you great i hate him i hope his new car pins him once and for all

That's why he's going to br broight in, because marks look up to him and want to pay money to see him.