TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ant_7000

Another reason why I hate Nelly

Nelly’s comments ignore hip-hop’s political power

Date: Friday, October 08, 2004

By: Walter Higgins, BlackAmericaWeb.com

What would hip-hop music be without Grandmanster Flash and the Furious Five, Tupac or the revolutionary lyrics of Dead Prez?

Don’t know? Well ask platinum-selling rap artist Nelly.

The rapper, whose real name is Cornell Haynes, Jr. urged fellow entertainers to keep politics out of music if they want to stay successful in a recent interview with Blender magazine.

“Some people don’t want politics in their music,” said Nelly. “Some people want their music to be uplifting so they can have fun and dance.”

“If you want to do the politics thing, be more involved personally, but you could talk about that and then tomorrow wake up and you’re not selling records. So now you protested the war…and your broke!”

Critics say that Nelly’s comments ignore the political legacy of hip-hop and the powerful social influence it has today.

“That’s basically a slap in the face to Public Enemy and others who have come before him and changed the face of hip-hop more than he ever will,” said Aaron Bernard, a hip hop activist and program director for KJAMZ 105.3 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

“It’s sad for somebody in his generation of hip-hop to say something like that because he sells so many records and has so much influence. He doesn’t have to make conscious records, but to say that no one else should is ridiculous,” added Bernard.

While Nelly’s album sales just passed the 30 million mark, the ‘politics thing’ has not damaged the record selling potential of other artists.

Jadakiss’ platinum selling “Why,” sparked controversy by questioning the Bush administration’s knowledge of the September 11 attacks. Kanye West’s album sales increased after the release of “Jesus Walks,” a song that blurs the lines between politics and spirituality.

With more hip hop artist realizing their social influence, Bakari Kitwana, author of “The Hip-Hop Generation,” added several big names in the hip hop community have begun to direct their energy toward the political arena, including Russell Simmons, Jay-Z and P Diddy.

“Hip-hop is political,” said Kitwana. “His comments defy what is going on now, 5 years ago or 20 years ago.”

All the critics agreed that Nelly’s comments represent the difference between hip hop culture and the mainstream appeal of rap music which is driven by record sales.

“For him to say keep politics out of the music is basically saying he’s not hip-hop,” said Greg Thomas, professor at Syracuse University. “How do you have black music without politics? Look at all the people we would loose.”

“Nelly is rap, he is not hip hop, there is a difference,” said Kitwana. “The mainstream attention has been good but the downside has been the pioneers don’t get respect and people aren’t really studying the art and culture of hip-hop.”

Although Nelly says his music is solely for dancing and having fun, Thomas says it can become a political statement when it promotes negative images common in rap music.

“He’s not keeping politics out his music when it comes to his views on women,” said Thomas, referring to controversy surrounding the ‘Tip Drill’ video in which Nelly swipes a credit card through a black woman’s backside.

The video initiated a protest at Spellman University that led to Nelly canceling a charity event there last April.

Nelly also raised eyebrows when he unveiled his Pimpjuice Energy Drink last November, which caused a national boycott by a coalition of black consumer activists. Plus, he started the P.I.M.P. Scholars program that gives grants to college students.

When asked if the brand of rap currently dominating the airwaves will ever change, Bernard said there is a “bright light” at the end of the tunnel.

“There are plenty of artists out there that still make you move but come from a different direction, people like that are going to last,” said Bernard. “ Songs like Nelly’s are going to come and go because they are disposable.”

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site...awnews/nelly107

In a way he respresents how some rap fans (Shoes Head) feel these days when it comes to "Political rap." Nelly knows his fan base so this won't affect him, but pop fans aren't loyal and I hope they turn on his ass.

Fuck you guys. Nelly is god. He's so awesomesly, outrageously, unbelievably bad that he goes all the way back around and becomes great. "You ain't from Russia, so bitch why you rushin?"... who else would even try that line?

“Some people don’t want politics in their music,” said Nelly. “Some people want their music to be uplifting so they can have fun and dance.”

Yes, because no popular enduring artist before has ever created dance music with political statements within their music.

He's a joke. I think people knew that before clicking on this thread.

Guest Shoes Head

On the one hand, Nelly sucks shit.

On the other, politics and rap have always been a joke. Anyone here ever actually LISTEN instead of just nodding your head and saying "that's deep?" PE, KRS, Gangstarr, Dead Prez, and whoever else come across just slightly to the left of Genghis Khan in the political spectrum and never seem to say much more than "The government is evil because they don't fix our problems for us."

Tupac was slightly more bearable - he was like an angry black version of the Green Party platform.

I just can't take political messages in rap seriously.

Not that they shouldn't do it. I just can't take a message seriously listening to it thump out of a Buick a mile away.

Folks shouldn't be listening to Nelly anyways. He's a hack, no matter what the hell he is rapping about.

Nelly is just telling people the truth though. I find it funny that the article mentioned Jay-Z and P Diddy as heading to the political arena. Since when? Was it when Jay-Z was going on about how he's got 99 problems and a bitch ain't one? What's the message there? How about Jay and Diddy talking about how people need to go out and vote, yet neither one of these guys has cast a vote, ever.

I love Jay-Z's music, but he can keep his politics to himself. Diddy can rot in hell for all I care. He's as musically bad as Nelly.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Seriously, I would honestly love to see Chuck D and the S1W's kick the shit out of Nelly.................meh, it's wishful thinking though.

I just can't take political messages in rap seriously.

Not that they shouldn't do it. I just can't take a message seriously listening to it thump out of a Buick a mile away.

That ain't gold that's platinum.

Yeah there's a place for political rap, and a place for fun rap. Let them both be.

I pay artists to hear music about what makes life good, not about what they have to say about Bush.

Guest Dynamite Kido
I pay artists to hear music about what makes life good, not about what they have to say about Bush.

That's not exactly what was meant.................

I personally don't care either way what a rap artist(or any musician for that matter) chooses to write/sing music about, however the ones who don't WANT TO, are probably also the ones who aren't informed in the first place and have no business talking about politics. There are plenty of underground rap/hip hop artists that display heavy political influences in their music, and maybe P. Diddy and Chuck D, should concentrate and bringing their voices into the public view, rather then ask Nelly to inject some empty rhetoric into his music.

How can you not support P.Diddy when he has people like this backing him up?

103021.jpg

If she truly believed what her shirt said, I would be willing to prevent her from voting.

Guest SP-1

Is there more to what he said than that? I'm just not pulling out of the quotes provided that he actually said, "Every rap artist should stay away from this." It looks more like he said that some people want political rap and some don't. That he's not one who wants to do that and that's not his target audience. And then he points out, truthfully, that it can be detrimental to one's career to go off on big political tangents in their body of work.

I'm just not pulling this blanket statement from what he said. But that's just me. I'm also not defending him because I don't listen to his music that often anyway. I just hate seeing things pulled out of context and misconstrued.

Yeah. Being a pimp, having hos, being filthy rich and spending it on bling bling is what makes life good. ;)

Yeah. Being a pimp, having hos, being filthy rich and spending it on bling bling is what makes life good. ;)

Well actually....