TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lawlerm

Macho Man Bitten By Jake's Snake...

Guest Lawlerm

Can anyone remember what taping this happened at and the date? Late'91/Early'92-ish?

11/23/91, the last Superstars before Survivor Series. You can see more at Cawthon's site: ThehistoryofWWE.com

"Jake Roberts pinned Bob Werner with the DDT at the 42-second mark; after the match, Roberts goaded Randy Savage - who was doing commentary - into the ring where he trapped him in the ring ropes, assaulted him, and allowed his king cobra snake to gnaw on Savage's arm; Roberts held officials at bay until Savage, now delirious, was able to be pulled out of the ring; Miss Elizabeth and Roddy Piper came out to try to assist Savage during the segment; as a result of the incident, Roberts' snakes were banned from ringside and he and Savage were both pulled from the Survivor Series pay-per-view event"

It was a crock of shit.

They made you order the Survivor Series PPV, only for footage to be shown and Tunney to announce Savage and Jake wouldn't be on the teams, neither could Sid due to injury.

Then we're told we have to buy ANOTHER PPV to see their match a week later/

Well they had to put SOMETHING on the card to make people order Tuesday in Texas.

Well they had to put SOMETHING on the card to make people order Tuesday in Texas.

True, but at the same time, they essentially made the draw of the Survivor Series the potential Jake-Savage showdown since most people weren't expecting anything important coming out of the Taker-Hogan match.

True, but at the same time, they essentially made the draw of the Survivor Series the potential Jake-Savage showdown since most people weren't expecting anything important coming out of the Taker-Hogan match.

True, but it was an incredible addition to their feud. Jake hadn't used his snakes like that before(that I can remember) and it added to his heat.

I'm pretty sure that was the first and only time that Jake's Snake bite someone, at least on TV. I remember being really shocked about it at the time, I was 11 then and I had just found out that wrestling wasn't legit about a year prior to that and I thought it was awesome as balls that Savage took that, knowing a snake would be biting into him.

Dames

It was a crock of shit.

They made you order the Survivor Series PPV, only for footage to be shown and Tunney to announce Savage and Jake wouldn't be on the teams, neither could Sid due to injury.

Weren't the teams originally Boss Man, LOD, & Sid vs. IRS, Natural Disasters, & Jake? I thought that Tunney, punishing Jake, took him out of the PPV, as well as Sid to make it even. I think Savage was still "retired" from the career match at WM VII, only to be reinstated the next week.

Sid was injured and couldn't make the show. In fact, he didn't return until the Rumble.

After sustaining the injury, Sid went on TV and urged Tunney to reinstate Savage as his replacement for the Survivor Series. All signs indicated that the fan support would be enough to get Savage back on the active roster for the PPV ... of course until the snake incident.

I didn't even watch wrestling in 1991, but I remember this angle being a huge deal. I don't know if it was from a friend who watched wrestling or if it actually made waves since a snake bit a man on TV or what it was.

Does anyone remember this getting coverage past wrestling?

Guest The Shadow Behind You
I'm pretty sure that was the first and only time that Jake's Snake bite someone, at least on TV. I remember being really shocked about it at the time, I was 11 then and I had just found out that wrestling wasn't legit about a year prior to that and I thought it was awesome as balls that Savage took that, knowing a snake would be biting into him.

Dames

Jake's Snake was used in WCW on a couple occasions...

Jake tried to get the snake to attack Sting during their "classic" Coal Miner's Glove match but the Snake swerved and bit Jake instead.

I believe Mick Foley also took a snake bite as well at that same time period.

btw...What was WCW thinking with The Coal Miner's match? A Straight up match would ruled. It may be the only time a Wheel wasn't gimmicked...They had all these major gimmicks like "STEEL CAGE" "I QUIT" "No Holds Barred" "First Blood"...and it landed on Coal Miner's Glove.

Guest MikeSC
I'm pretty sure that was the first and only time that Jake's Snake bite someone, at least on TV.  I remember being really shocked about it at the time, I was 11 then and I had just found out that wrestling wasn't legit about a year prior to that and I thought it was awesome as balls that Savage took that, knowing a snake would be biting into him. 

Dames

Jake's Snake was used in WCW on a couple occasions...

Jake tried to get the snake to attack Sting during their "classic" Coal Miner's Glove match but the Snake swerved and bit Jake instead.

I believe Mick Foley also took a snake bite as well at that same time period.

btw...What was WCW thinking with The Coal Miner's match? A Straight up match would ruled. It may be the only time a Wheel wasn't gimmicked...They had all these major gimmicks like "STEEL CAGE" "I QUIT" "No Holds Barred" "First Blood"...and it landed on Coal Miner's Glove.

Watts always had a soft spot for coal miner's glove matches.

-=Mike

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I always had a theory that Jake and Sting had a bitching plan set up for a I Quit or Cage Match and was going to be a **** classic....

only for when it landed on Coal Miner's Jake went

"Coal Miner's? Well fuck this match then. Get me my crack pipe"

Man late 91 to 92 Syndication gave us classic stuff all the time...

-Warrior stuffed in a casket and locked shut by Taker.

-Heenan brings out NWA World Title belt.

-Piper cracks Vince with a chair, brawling with Flair.

-Snake attack on Savage.

-Michaels throws Jannetty through a window.

Around that time growing up, I didn't get to watch much of the NWA/WCW until about '92 and it wasn't on a consistent basis since I didn't have cable. I saw the Jake/Savage snake incident first.

Dames

I talked about this with the "Worst Ever PPV" thread.... It was a total crock of shit what they did... Everything was built so that Savage would be reinstated for Survivor Series to join Bossman and LOD to face Jake Roberts and Co. In fact, I remember the day of SurSer, I was watching GWF on ESPN and they had an 'update studio' type deal where they talked about what was going on in EVERY federation. The announcer said that Tunney had, in fact, re-instated Savage, meaning he'd most likely be wrestling that night at Survivor Series.

Then, I went with my dad to his friend's house to watch the PPV, and we found out Savage WAS reinstated to wrestle... This Tuesday in Texas!

Total scam that pissed a lot of people off.

Didn't Warrior get bit by the snake also during their fued, you know Jake's "Trust Me" phase? Maybe it wasn't a legitimate bite like the one Savage took, i can't remember...

Guest Sturgis

Yeah, Warrior got "bit" the fakest looking snake ever, altough he did a GREAT selling job. The ending was excellent.

Guest LooneyTune
Yeah, Warrior got "bit" the fakest looking snake ever, altough he did a GREAT selling job. The ending was excellent.

Warrior AND Great Selling in the same sentence that doesn't include another wrestler? I'm sh-shocked.

Does anyone remember how much Tuesday in Texas was? Couldn't have been more than $15 I would assume.

I know this wasn't too long ago, but since we're on the subjects of snakes...

I've completely spaced on who this angle involved, aside from Austin. Someone get's 'bitten' by a rattlesnake, and they come out wearing makeup the next week or soemthing to make it look authentic. Can anyone fill in the missing blanks?

I was there live for the second part of that angle...

Austin had a title shot against HHH at No Mercy in 1999. He and HHH were brawling backstage at RAW and Austin threw HHH into a room with a rattlesnake. HHH comes out on SmackDown and announces his career is over from the snakebite and calls out Austin. Austin comes out, HHH hits him with something metal (as per usual with one of his master plans), rips off the makeup, and calls everyone stupid.

aha. wasnt the night where HHH got "bit" a tag match with austin and jm ross (you heard it right) vs hhh and chyna?

I remember the sd before no mercy when hhh came out with the makeup, becuasue it came on just after the yank/sox alcs game 2 in 99 (you know, the one we didn't blow)

oh and yea I remember being horrified by the mach being bit. then again I was 8 at the time They actually show the whole thing, uncensored on the survivor series 91 coliseum video release (which I own a copy of)

yea I remember alot about this time in wwf, because I had just got into wrestling about a year prior) what alot of great moments on superstars and challenge

also remember Bret hart getting electrocuted by the mountie (he dumped a bucket of water on him then zapped him with his tazer)

aha. wasnt the night where HHH got "bit" a tag match with austin and jm ross (you heard it right) vs hhh and chyna?

I remember the sd before no mercy when hhh came out with the makeup, becuasue it came on just after the yank/sox alcs game 2 in 99 (you know, the one we didn't blow)

I believe those shows were the last to be booked by Vince Russo in the WWF. In fact, I'm positive they were