TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Strangest Kayfabe reasons for a heel turn

Guest Rrrsh

It was not Demo, it was The BRIANBUSTAAAAS~! Aka, Arn and Tully.

Rick Martel and Tito Santana were reuniting after a break, and were "rusty". Well Martel got accidentaly hit by Tito and walked out. Then he became eeh model.

Mark Henry turning on D'Lo Brown at Summerslam 99. Everyone is supposed to assume that he turned because D'Lo made him eat healthy foods, as opposed to meat, in order to get his blood pressure down.

As much as it is one of my favorite storylines ever... Shane McMahon hiring Steve Austin back only to humiliate him at SurSer 98 and then the subsequent kick-starting of the Corporation was incredibly stupid.

I mean, Vince fired him after the Kane/Taker deal...so Austin was kayfabe gone for good. Why hire him back and screw him over? It's not like he couldn't get another hundred or so shots at the title even after the Corporation was formed. He did that anyway, right?

I'd say when Jim Ross turned heel when he brought in the new Diesel and Razor Ramon back in the later part of 1996, he gained a lot of heat because of Hall and Nash's popularity, and bringing in the worst Diesel and Razor Ramon he could find (Sorry Kane)

Guest Duncan Eternia

Rosey turning on Mack and Teddy Long puzzled me. They show up on RAW together as a type of new faction - Rosey turns after like 5 minutes.

As much as it is one of my favorite storylines ever... Shane McMahon hiring Steve Austin back only to humiliate him at SurSer 98 and then the subsequent kick-starting of the Corporation was incredibly stupid.

I mean, Vince fired him after the Kane/Taker deal...so Austin was kayfabe gone for good. Why hire him back and screw him over? It's not like he couldn't get another hundred or so shots at the title even after the Corporation was formed. He did that anyway, right?

Vince may have hated Austin, but he loved the money he made off him.

Guest LooneyTune
I'd say when Jim Ross turned heel when he brought in the new Diesel and Razor Ramon back in the later part of 1996, he gained a lot of heat because of Hall and Nash's popularity, and bringing in the worst Diesel and Razor Ramon he could find (Sorry Kane)

It's a give and take situation...

Hall >>>>> Whoever "Razor" 2 was.

Jacobs >>>>>>>>>>>>> Nash. At least the guy hasn't torn his quad by simply walking. He also had a much better build IMO, but either way, making a NEW Razor & Diesel was beyond retarded.

Guest JerichosHi-Lite
Billy Kidman recent one was pretty thin-skinned.

Are you kidding? Does it always have to be spelled out for everyone?

you've all read this part by now

How's that psycho analysis of Kidman's turn?

Dames

And amen to that. I thought Kidman's heel turn was done fantastically and at the right time. They made good out of a bad situation (the Chavo SSP thing)

And I think Brock's heel turn in 2003 was pretty dumb. Was it ever actually explained? Kurt stopped being his friend once he took the title from him, yeah, but ... well I thought it was stupid.

WWE used to use their "I don't owe these fans a reason" excuse for heel turns ... thank God that's stopped

Guest Mike Haseloff
I've always found the Hardy Boyz jealousy turns on each other pretty lame..

"My brother is becoming more successful than me.. lets HIT HIM WITH A CHAIR~!"

I can't really remember much from back then though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

* shoves Lita to the floor

"Ee gahds Jeff! Look what you did!!!"

Big Show's had some pretty pointless turns.

He flip-flopped so much he could've run for for President.

One minute he's dressing up as Fat Bastard, the next he's threatening to break people's asses. Then he's spanking Stacy Keibler, no wait, he's joined the nWo!!!

Why did he do this?

BECAUSE HE'S SEVEN FEET AND THE AIR IS THINNER UP THERE!!!

I don't know how this one hasn't been brought up yet......"you think you're better than me"?

This ranks in the top 3 MOST DUMB turns of all-times. UT felt JR thought he was better than him because he would not kiss Vince's ass.

Say what you will about Taker, but this guy has been put into some of the most stupid angles EVER. Vince running around with his pants hanging wearing JR's hat just tops it all off. I guess I answered my own question why no one has brought this up :huh:

I mentioned that on page 1.

Still a terrible reason for UT to turn. Now that I think about it, I don't remember how he turned face again.

He didnt really turn face per say. He lost the wwe title to rock at vengeance in the triple threat also with angle. the next night on raw he stuck up for the usa against the unamericans i think. I guess he turned because the fans still cheered him anyways

I wish he would've stayed acting as a heel, because I really started liking 'Taker around then just for how much awesomeness he was bringing for the first time in about 4 or 5 years.

Mark Henry turning on D'Lo Brown at Summerslam 99. Everyone is supposed to assume that he turned because D'Lo made him eat healthy foods, as opposed to meat, in order to get his blood pressure down.

The reason they gave for Hnery turning on Brown was that Brown made fun of Henry for his weight in an attempt to motivate him to lose some pounds. Henry didn't see the humor of it though.

Even though the overall turn was great, I always thought Steve Austin gave a pretty lame reason for turning after WM17.

"Sometimes...you just gotta suck up to your boss"

The reason they gave for Hnery turning on Brown was that Brown made fun of Henry for his weight in an attempt to motivate him to lose some pounds. Henry didn't see the humor of it though.

Even though the overall turn was great, I always thought Steve Austin gave a pretty lame reason for turning after WM17.

"Sometimes...you just gotta suck up to your boss"

Actually I think that they were hinting that Austin wasnt sure of himself anymore after coming back from inury and was literally so obssesed with regaining his title that he would ask for Vinces help. then he joined the allmighty alliance because he thought Vince wasnt giving him enough attention and was grooming rock to take his palce (which made no sense considering vince had suspended rock) most of 01 saw Austin potrayed as a paranoid heel (especially in the alliance period)

Mavens heel turn had me thinking. hes mad at eugene so he attacks him and that makes him a heel. why does his attitude change (i guess its supposed to go back to his failure to win the world title ) what I mean is, why is it that when a guy turns heel (or face for that matter) he immediately can team up with his former enemies who accept him (christian and tomko) shouldnt they at least question his motives?

orton is a great example since he spent most of the last year pissing off every face on Raw

I mentioned that on page 1.

Still a terrible reason for UT to turn. Now that I think about it, I don't remember how he turned face again.

He didnt really turn face per say. He lost the wwe title to rock at vengeance in the triple threat also with angle. the next night on raw he stuck up for the usa against the unamericans i think. I guess he turned because the fans still cheered him anyways

yeah he never really turned face. He was being a pretty good champion and had some good matches, i remember people cheering him(still heel) around the time he had the mini feud with Jeff Hardy that endend in the ladder match.

D'Lo and Mark Henry had its moments. "Can't a brother get some sauce!!".

Anyway, how about the Bulldog's turn in '95. If I remember correctly it was a tag match with Diesel against the MOM. I don't remember it coming with any real reason and he joined Camp Cornette soon after.

Guest TheLastBoyscout
Similar to my thread of a few weeks back, I'll throw in:

Barry Windham joining the Horsemen at Crockett Cup 88. 'He won't be there for you................'. Then the Horsemen blindside Luger so he's out and minutes later Windham 'tags' Luger for him to get beat.

'I told you he wouldn't be there for you!', yeah JJ Luger just got taken out of the match by a AA and Tully double team and he's lying on the floor dazed, of course he's, a little preoccupied for Windham to be tagging him.

Then we have another turn against Luger: Michael Hayes in 89. 'You ain't got time to play my music!'. Although that's more in the realm of the easily-defined second fiddle, I mean come on Mike it's like if Tom Brady and Patrick Pass came out to sign autographs for Pats fans and they announced Pass first.

Or switching gears, there's Luger obliterating Ricky Steamboat with the Clothesline From Hell before Bradshaw came along. I guess cause they needed a heel and there was a plan to go with Luger (heel)/Flair (face), (and you thought WWE bookers were the first to come up with 'Hey X is a heel and Y is a face now, IT'S DIFFERENT!~). But Funk did well enough with it so Luger had nothing to do after Steamboat.

Damn, Luger's career WAS one big parody.............and we should piss on Flair in retrospect for not jobbing the title to him, okee...........

The Windham turn on Luger RULED.

Ever notice how the littlest thing will cause a heel turn/break up of a tag team/group/manager-wrestler. ect

Forget slow burning a turn, the simplest miscomunication can lead to a full blown heel turn.  I mean it makes you wonder.  For example, couldn't wrestler A point out on a tape of the show to wrestler B that he clearly meant to hit wrestler C with the chair and C just moved out of the way.  But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it becomes INSTANT FEUD!

Two words: Strike Force.

Strike Force's breakup wouldn't have been nearly as bad if Rick Martel had cut a semi-coherent promo after the match at Wrestlemania V. He completely dropped the ball on that.

Ok, why exactly did Strike Force break up and when? I think it was because one of the members walked out on the other during a match against Demolition during Wrestlemania, but I'm not completely sure.

Martel said he was sick of carrying Santana, so he walked out of their match at WM V after Santana accidentally hit him with a flying forearm. Was their ever a blowoff to this feud?