TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Tino Standard

"My Day with Vince, Ric and Trips"

Just got back from covering the Survivor Series press conference... I'll have a full rundown of everything from this afternoon posted later tonight after work... In the meantime, here are a few fun tidbits...

- Bradshaw (of all people) was pretty hilarious... I haven't watched Smackdown since probably January, but (and I can't believe I'm saying this) JBL was actually a great guy on the mic.

- A few people booed Torrie Wilson after she said the Smackdown divas would steal the show at Survivor Series, prompting Big Show to mutter to Randy Orton (who was sitting next to him): "Who's booing Torrie Wilson? What a complete fucking moron."

- Batista was dressed in his standard pimp attire. I know there are people on here concerned with that stuff. Nice suit with a pink shirt and pink striped tie. When you're a big badass like Batista, you can wear pink and not have anybody say a damn word about it.

- Bradshaw's title belt is impressive in person, but HHH's OWNS ALL. I always thought it looked cool on TV and from the stands in the arena, but you get a much better appreciation for the Big Gold Belt when it's waved in your face.

After the public part of the show was over, we were taken downstairs for one-on-one interviews.

- Interviewing Vince McMahon is an epic experience. And while he gets portrayed on here as aloof and out-of-touch with fans, the fact is, away from the camera, he's actually a pretty nice, down to earth guy. And by the way, Vince's favorite SurSer memory? The Gobbledegooker.

- Flair was interesting to say the least. He gave a surprisingly candid talk about running Starrcade the same day as the first SurSer, with honest open answers. Really cool. Oh, and I admit, I couldn't resist... I had to have him give me one big "WOOOO!" as he left. Good times.

- Finally, I met Triple H. And I hate to disappoint all of you, but I don't think HHH is Satan himself. H gave a lot of stock answers (even admitting so at some points), but still had some good spots too. No, I did NOT ask him a lot of the smarky questions I'm sure a lot of you would be dying to unleash on him. Maybe some other day, who knows.

All in all, it was a very fun time. If they show clips on TV tonight during Raw, you can see me sitting in the front row of the press conference, third seat off the aisle to the right. I'm wearing a cream colored shirt and have a buzz-cut shaved head. I'm right in front of Vince McMahon and Big Show.

Bradshaw is one of the (if not THE) most vastly improved characters of 2004, but he still shouldn't be anywhere near the WWE Title.

And Vince does sound to be a good person. Eddie Guerrero and William Regal credit Vince for saving their lives. And he paid $15,000 for Waltman to go to rehab.

Guest Loss

And he raped that woman!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, I'd say Vince sometimes strives to do the right thing morally and often times doesn't. Dave Meltzer's stance seems to be that those who think Vince is too far in either direction are overreacting.

Guest GreatOne

Or it could've been the infamous,

'I JUST......DIDN'T FEEL REAL CRITHP TODAY' mixed with IT'S TRUE, IT'S TRUE.

I know, those two guys (Jim Daniels was one) who used to do late night on FSR played that soundbyte to death. I can do the same two years later dammit! :D

Are Stock Answers like some "insider term" for giving politically correct answers, or HHH actually gave you stock advice?

Yeah, it's a generic, politically correct, standard, canned answer that a public figure can spout off without giving any worthwhile information away.

Nice article Tino. Good stuff. I'll have to remind myself to pick up a copy of The Herald in a month or check it out online. If I was talking to Ric Flair and/or Vince McMahon, I probably would barely be able to put a coherent sentence together.

Guest bigm350

Sounded like an awesome time there, Tino. I wish I could have seen the Big Gold in person. Awesome.

Guest player

Damn...this would've been the perfect time to suggest WARGAMES~~~!!!!! (with Survivor Series elimination rules) to either HHH or Vince. AHHHHHH!!

Damn...this would've been the perfect time to suggest WARGAMES~~~!!!!! (with Survivor Series elimination rules) to either HHH or Vince. AHHHHHH!!

Well shit, you can probably put THAT at the top of the "Questions I wish I hadn't waited to think of until after the interviews" list.