TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Mandarin

Wrestling as a career

For me, it came to mind a few times, but the problem I found then/now is there's a limited sense of job/health security. There's also travel issues involved, and it would obviously take a toll on one's life. I just can't see any pros that could possibly outweigh the cons. You also have completely retarded shit to deal with such as backstage politics and hazings.

I'll respond more once the discussion gets going.

Guest netslob

i did, seriously, but any real interest died with ECW. i wanted to work for them. i'm a small guy, so the WWE wouldn't touch me with a 20-foot pole, and i'm young so WCW wouldn't have had any use for me.

Yea, and I actually still do. I plan on...after college, somehow conjuring (or something like that) up some money somehow to pay for wrestling school..to actually have creds, and then take it from there.

When I was younger I wanted to be a wrestler, but now? Possibly. If I gain some muscle definition, I might try after I graduate from college. It depends on how things go, like if I get a job or not.

Guest Shoes Head

I had a HUGE desire up until about 2 years ago. I started hanging around at ROH shows and talking to CZW's people...and the people are just too dirty. You meet more unintelligent idiots who don't bathe in the wrestling world than you'd find in a 3rd world country. The fanbase doesn't appreciate anything anymore except killing yourself in high spots, kayfabe is dead and the romance is gone.

Guest Coffey

Maybe in a role that was off camera. A non-wrestling role. A writer, booker, road agent...something like that. Hell, even ring crew would be tight. It wouldn't even need to be in WWE. Just in the wrestling business.

Guest The Ohtani of Time
WRONG FORUM.

Relax, buddy.

Why are people so quick to jump down other people's throats when they (heaven forbid!) don't post in the "correct forum", does it really ruin your day that much?

And to answer the question, I too have thought about it, but in the end I would have to say that it wouldn't be worth it, but I have all the respect for people that do choose that path, it's not an easy one.

I tried last year to start my training for prowrestling while I was up in WA with the ICW. But due to my job being lost and not being able to find any work also with fighting with the boss I was suppose to be transferred over to to get my old job back, I just got to depressed and came back to California. Now I'm considering going back up to WA to try and train with the ICW again unless my dad moves away from the city where there based in or I might train down in California for Pro Wrestling Iron mainly cause Mike Modest and Donovan Morgan are the trainers there.

I'm currently training under Mikey Whipwreck and INDY SENSATION DAN BARRY~! I just got back from training, actually.

Yeah, I love it. Its honestly the greatest thing in the world and I love doing it. I also now know how to do a hammerlock, properly.

Guest Mr. Wrestling

Being a legit 6'5 and with a reasonably good build (easy to work off of). I've given it some thought. I'd love to work for Mr. McMahon and would give anything to have that opportunity. Though, the whole physicality and pain factor is a bit of a turnoff in the long run.

Guest bottyboy

I couldn't wear tights and 'play fight' with men. I'll just stick to being a fan.

Guest Brian

I'm still giving it thought. I need to drop weight to take it off my knees (I'm pretty sure I have the strength, speed, build, and endurance), and I also have this year of school left to decide what I'm going to do. The prospects in the US look poor at the moment, which is a big factor, and the international scene seems sorta lackluster.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I'd much rather be a off the camera part of the business.

Ring crew, writer, promotions etc.

Guest W_Hillard

Yeah, I considered it.

BUT, the cost was prohibitive.

About $5000 for lessons ($500 down, $25 a week), plus the cost of boots and tights (probably run you anywhere from $800 to $1200, depending on what you wanted to buy and from whom. Does Adrian Street still sell wrestling gear?)

All to learn how to wrestle like a jobber. (My local school was TSIWA. They were... ok.)

Factor into that the pay of $25 a night (if your lucky), time spent on the road (I'm married, it wouldn't fly), and the fact that some of the people in the business are just plain dirty... well, let's just say that a minimum wage job has more appeal.

That was then. There's no chance in Hell of me wrestling now. I could still drop the weight, but I'm pushing 30, which is a bit too old to for me to seriously consider making a career out of wrestling. I weigh in at about 270. Still plenty of muscle there, but I'd have to lose this spare tire I'm carrying (which, really, isn't a bad idea anyway).

So, even if I did go into training and tried to make a go of it, I'm just not marketable enough to make it to the show.

About $5000 for lessons ($500 down, $25 a week), plus the cost of boots and tights (probably run you anywhere from $800 to $1200, depending on what you wanted to buy and from whom. Does Adrian Street still sell wrestling gear?)

What school was this?

Guest Mr. Wrestling

Actually OVW offers an introductory course for $500. If you can make it past that and Cornette selects you then you move on to the B-Class. For wrestling school, I'd probably buy the least expensive tights possible. Or you could wear Shane McMahon attire which is pretty cheap.

Guest Sylvan Grenier
I couldn't wear tights and 'play fight' with men.

But you have no qualms about watching others do it?

Guest Eric the Eagle

I've actually been wrestling since October 2001 for NWF (the Norwegian Wrestling Federation). You can hardly call it wrestling as a career (we work about eight shows a year, which is about what the market can afford at the moment), given our schedule.

I have knee problems, which would prohibit it as a career choice (even if I could take the schedule of matches, the travle would have me disabled in a year...;)), so my ambitions is simply to see how far we can take it with the promotion (only promotion in Norway ever) here, rather than making a go at it abroad. I do plan on working at least one match out of the country, just to be able to say that I've done it.

Still, just to brag of myself for a moment, over a three-year career, I've worked cards with James Mason and Robbie Brookside, and wrestled for the Norwegian title in front of 800 people. I'd say I'm pretty satisfied. And yes, Hollywoodspike, it is the greatest thing in the world. ;)

Guest W_Hillard

What school was this?

Tri-State Indiana Wrestling Association. They had a school in Central City, Kentucky.

Percy Pringle used to sell a book with all the information you'd ever need about finding reputable schools and decent ring gear. The book was cheap but the info was priceless.

OVW was a great suggestion. There's a few other school (or there were) that were known to crank out future stars.

Really, if you seriously consider becoming a wrestler, don't go to some mom-and-pop operation. Go to a school with some credentials.

As soon as I graduate college I am going to Les Thatchers in Cincy, I have already talked to him and he said I have the right "look". The good thing is I have an athletic background, I play college baseball now, and I feel I am a good looking guy, so I feel I have a couple of things going for me before I begin. I am not allowed to train now due to restrictions on my college scholarship, or in other words, I get hurt training for wrestling=me being totally fucked.

I used to think about it a lot when I was in college, and there were several indys active around here. But after I graduated, I figured it wasn't worth the risk...you can get hurt so easily, and you have nothing to cover you. Plus, I heard a lot of stories about trainers ripping people off, etc. Add that to the fact that there aren't really any schools around here (I'm in SE Wisconsin), and it just wouldn't be a possibility. I probably would rather be a ref or manager or announcer than a wrestler anyway at this point in my life.

When I was younger, I had a gimmick and everything. I was to be called Forklift and be a big hoss. I had a "moveset" consisting of lots of Suplex/bomb moves. However after lifting for awhile(2 months or so) I gave up. ;)

What school was this?

That sounds like a total rip.

And I don't know if you guys know this, but all referees, valets/managers and whatever have went through the training process as well. Referee's are usually students who are still training before actually being booked on a show.

I've given passing thought to it, but the sacrifices needed to make it a career aren't too appealing, and I don't think anyone is in the market for a 5'6" guy as anything other than a bouncy, speedy, high flyer type. I'd probably also have to travel out of state to train, since the scene here sucks.