TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Mandarin

Wrestling as a career

Guest tnamark

I wouldn't want to for these reasons:

1. rolling around with men in their tights, some of whom like to grabass because they are gay.

2. some of the lockerroom "initiations" that I have heard.

1. rolling around with men in their tights, some of whom like to grabass because they are gay.

am i the only one who found this hillarious?

Guest DeathBecomesYou

I'm soon to begin training with a local indy fed, but as a career? While it'd be nice, I don't think there's much demand for 5'11 175lb wrestlers in any large promotions.

am i the only one who found this hillarious?

Nope.

I found it funny too.

I was intent on going to wrestling school when my enlistment ran out in '99, but my wife talked me into re-enlisting instead... Now, five years later, I'm still in the Navy, divorced, and too old (in my opinion) to try to start from the ground floor in wrestling. :(

I think about it daily but indeed there are more cons than pros. I wouldn't mind working behind the scenes or being a referee or something, but you learn that in pro wrestling school.

I've thought about the FWA academy myself (the one run by Alex Shane, although there's another one in Britain that the name of escapes me currently), at least in a few years time. Once I have money and an education to fall back on. Until then it's a pipe dream. Plus I'm not exactly in wrestling shape at the moment, with a knee problem.

Being a color commentator or reporter, maybe even wrestling journalist, is my main aspiration at the moment though. Refereeing was another as that seems quite a hoot, whilst also being an important part of matches. But again, that'd take going through wrestling school and the like. Trouble is knowing what to do to get a spot and how to go about it. Seems like most commentators in recent years (in big time promotions anyway) are ex-wrestlers as it is.

Guest Mr. Wrestling
I've thought about the FWA academy myself (the one run by Alex Shane, although there's another one in Britain that the name of escapes me currently), at least in a few years time. Once I have money and an education to fall back on. Until then it's a pipe dream. Plus I'm not exactly in wrestling shape at the moment, with a knee problem.

Being a color commentator or reporter, maybe even wrestling journalist, is my main aspiration at the moment though. Refereeing was another as that seems quite a hoot, whilst also being an important part of matches. But again, that'd take going through wrestling school and the like. Trouble is knowing what to do to get a spot and how to go about it. Seems like most commentators in recent years (in big time promotions anyway) are ex-wrestlers as it is.

Not really

See:

Jim Ross

Michael Cole

Todd Grisham

Jonathan Coachman

Mike Tenay

Jeremy Borash

Mark Madden

Scott Hudson

Tony Schiavone

Don West

Marc Lloyd

etc

etc

etc

Still, just to brag of myself for a moment, over a three-year career, I've worked cards with James Mason and Robbie Brookside, and wrestled for the Norwegian title in front of 800 people. I'd say I'm pretty satisfied. And yes, Hollywoodspike, it is the greatest thing in the world. ;)

Then I hope they were better for you than the show i saw in Felixstowe. MAN did that suck. My mate who had been in two matches prior put on a better performance than either of them, and that's not just bias.

Then again, Jody Fleisch was there :D

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd love to be a color commentator, but I don't think that I could tolerate being told what to say and how to say it; I'd probably let the smark in me slip out on live air...

Jody Fleisch is a spot monkey. Bah!

The audience consisted of my afore-mentioned mate's family, thirty pre-pubescent kids with assorted parents, and me (looking rather odd, I imagine). So technical masterpieces weren't really on the market. In fact, the audience got lost in the Fleisch match as both wrestlers were faces and they didn't have anyone too boo. Although i did start a 'You look like Billy Kidman' chant at Fleisch's opponent, Lucas Cool.

My crowning achievement though, was recognising the name P.N. Neusz as the 'Rapmaster' from circa '91 WCW and giving him a resounding 'YO BABY YO BABY YO!!" shout when he came out as a heel. Most of the rest of the crowd weren't even BORN when he was doing that.

I'd make a great announcer. Hell, I'd love to be a manager.

A wrestler...I thought about it, but the place I wanna train at also accepts guys trained for shoot fighting. I'm afraid I'll get fucked with :(

What do indies need commentators for? Do they talk over the PA at shows? Or do they happen to be on television somewhere other than wherever I happen to be at? :huh:

Actually, some of the smaller ones do the commentary over the PA. I never understood the concept myself. If the match is good you don't notice it. Although if the commentary's good it can at least give you something of entertainment value during a bad match.

To answer the question, I've done some refereeing recently for a small indy in Ohio, and if it turned into a career, cool, but I'm not expecting a WWE career anytime soon.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

I'd love to do video packages and the like, especially for the wwe and whatnot.

As a wrestler? If MCW was still around, yes, and just for them. But otherwise, no. My dad was in the army, I never saw him. I could never do that to my kid.

I always did....untill I realized how hurt you can be doing it, and the fact that indy feds dont pay much of anything, and your chance sof making itno a big fed (now just one in wwe) are pretty slim.

always wanted to send in a video for tough enough, but I am not in shape at all (not saying I am fat but I do have somewhat of a small beer belly look (and I dont even drink lol) and despite my desire to start working out and weight training to get in better shape, I doubt Ill ever be a big muscle head and you know thats what vince wants

now my dream would be to be involved in a wrestling show, no matter what fed, no matter what the job, just to be involved would fufill my dream

once my dads work orgainization (he works with the developmentally disabled) was going to sponsor an indy show in my local area. my dad had been in talks with the promoter who used to run shows at my local b and g club, before the city ran them out of town cuz they were afraid of wrestling. we had a good venue and chances were I could be involved with the promotion of the show and maybe even take part in an angle or something as a manager or the like. dman it never happened

hell Id even like to be part of the video production crew of wwe, if only cuz Id get to look at old tapes for dvd releases yeahhhhhhh and help make cool video promos for tv

seriously I am looking into a school for video production/editing. so maybe one day that would fufill my dream

I once also thought of being a writer for WWF magazine,but thats a death job as you have to write in kayfabe talk

unfortunately If I was hired by wwe as a writer (like I had also wished to be) Id be fired about 10 seconds into the booking meeting when I responded with the homer simpson boring line while HHH described an angle for himself, Id be gone quicker than pat patterson

What is it with you and gayness?

I've done some refereeing recently for a small indy in Ohio

Which promotion? I'm dying to find something to go to every once in a while, and I live near Dayton.

As for wanting to be a wrestler, my best friend and I thought about it. He had to leave school for monetary reasons, and then started wrestling with a group in his hometown in South Carolina. I won't start since I just got married, but if I ever moved near where he lived I'd start there.

I've done some refereeing recently for a small indy in Ohio

Which promotion? I'm dying to find something to go to every once in a while, and I live near Dayton.

Fortitude Championship Wrestling. They're actually based in the Akron area, so you'd still be looking at a three hour drive to catch a show. They've actually got some pretty good (albeit green) wrestlers there, though there are a handful of gimmicks that I'd pan if I was reviewing them on Monday or Thursday nights.

Guest Your Olympic Hero

I want to be a booker or a talent scout for the WWE. Wouldn't ever consider an in-ring career or anything on television actually.