TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kaertos

"Breaking Kayfabe"

"Breaking Kayfabe" for October 19, 2004

I finally had the chance to sit down and type out one of these columns. I'll start by apologizing to all my readers who have been waiting patiently. I've been a little busy, as you may have noticed. Since I returned (briefly) to the active roster, I have gotten a ton of e-mails asking if I was back for good, and if not, how long will I be back.

I fear that the answer may not have been what you all wanted to hear.

Ever since Bases Loaded closed a while back, I've been itching to get back into the ring. But I was enjoying the Commissioner's post quite a bit, and I had a great time interacting with some of the rising stars of the Fed, so I kept putting off knee surgery until it wasn't really an option. In fact it was Alex Zenon who finally sat me down and told me it was time to get the knee fixed. It has been in various states of disrepair since I hurt in way back in the JL, but I was able to work through most of it. It didn't have anything to do with my retirement back in '02, but it did keep me out of a very much-anticipated return match at G4. It was obviously very sore, so much that we were forced to write the gimpiness into the angle itself. It was doing fine, but I tweaked it in that match I worked with Tom not too long before I left. So there I was one night after a show where all I really did was walk around and talk on the mic with two ice bags tied to the knee. Within the space of twenty minutes, I got a call from Lynn that her due date had been off by a couple of weeks and Z told me to go home.

Well, I called King up and told him what was going on. He told me that in the SWF, family and health came first. So I cleaned out my traveling case and hopped the first flight home.

Needless to say, keeping in ring shape wasn't a high priority. I was rehabbing my knee, helping to care for a slightly premature baby girl, keeping my two-and-a-half year old out of trouble and trying to my book started. Yes, I, "Grand Slam" Mark Stevens, was playing Mr. Mom. And let me tell you, it wasn't bad at all. I still wanted to get back into the business, but I was happy where I was.

On June 28th, my wife and I attended Smarkdown when it was in Omaha and I went backstage to say hello to the boys. I got to talking with Alex, King, Tom and Raynor and mentioned that I would be interested in getting back in the ring, maybe putting someone over at Genesis V, then retiring for good. I guess that got the wheels moving, because I got a call from King the next afternoon offering me a limited contract through Genesis.

I talked it over with Lynn and decided to do it. I flew to Boston on the 7th of July and signed the contracts just before the show went on the air. A little less than a month later and I was on the Ground Zero PPV setting the stage for my comeback the following week in Denver.

It was a blast. Of course, I couldn't buy a win and I got a little banged up, but it was great to work with some of the new guys (to me anyways) like Johnny and Ace. My favorite match might have been against Toxxic though. He is a hell of a worker, and I think he is a great champion. Then there was G5. That may be one of my favorite matches of my career. I don't think there will ever be another match quite like it.

By that time, the front office was talking contract extension, and I have to say that I was tempted. But I knew, just knew, that the time had come. So I declined and we went ahead on Storm with the original plan and announced the Hell in the Cell between King and I.

And yes, it will be my last match ever.

When I retired before, I left myself some outs; maybe subconsciously I knew that it wasn't time for me to go yet. I worked in the office, I helped book shows, I was Commissioner... everything seemingly leading to me coming back to the ring. This time though... this time I am done. I have tendered my resignation to the office and I have accepted a retirement package. This is it for me, not just in the ring, but also in wrestling. I have other responsibilities now, and I have plenty of money saved up. I'm 36 and I want to be able to play baseball with my kids when I am 40.

I agreed to do the Hell in the Cell match because I want to say goodbye the right way to the fans and the business that has been my life for fifteen years. And I could think of no better way to do that than to finally put an end to the King / Grand Slam issue once and for all.

So, I guess this is the first part of saying goodbye. This will be the last "Breaking Kayfabe" under my watch. I hope someone else picks up the torch and runs with it, but this is the last time my name will appear under that headline. I want to thank everyone who has had kind words for me about this column and I hope everyone watches Ashes 2 Ashes as I think it will truly be something special. Win or lose, I am determined to make this a match people will look at years from now as one of the best ever.

And remember what I have always said, "A true professional goes out on his back."

Keep swinging for the fences...

"Grand Slam" Mark Stevens

Well yes, but I have been meaning to write it regardless. That having been said, it would be nice if more people than me or you read it... ;)

This will be the last "Breaking Kayfabe" under my watch. I hope someone else picks up the torch and runs with it, but this is the last time my name will appear under that headline.

Say it ain't so!

:(

No, it is true. This retirement is really real, and short of doing the yearly schedule I will be stepping away from the SWF.

Believe it or not, it was a tough decision, but my priorities (much as Grand Slam's) are changing and the time I devoted to the Fed needs to be spent in other pursuits. The primary of which I am happy to share. I am in the process of writing a novel based on a story told by none other than King. Hopefully, I can finish it in the near future and sell it, cementing my career as a full-time writer, which is what I have wanted to be since I was in High School.

Guest Horse hockey!
No, it is true. This retirement is really real, and short of doing the yearly schedule I will be stepping away from the SWF.

Believe it or not, it was a tough decision, but my priorities (much as Grand Slam's) are changing and the time I devoted to the Fed needs to be spent in other pursuits. The primary of which I am happy to share. I am in the process of writing a novel based on a story told by none other than King. Hopefully, I can finish it in the near future and sell it, cementing my career as a full-time writer, which is what I have wanted to be since I was in High School.

If that be the case, I do wish you the best of the best of the best (sir!) in your pursuits. I'll be checking the shelves for your book. ;)

I appreciate that. It may be a while, but still...

I will be around however. I'll read the occasional show, but I have made too many friends in the SWF to stay away completely. I'll just not be participating in anything.

Guest Suicide King

Heh. It'll never sell. Stevens is a good enough writer, but he's working with my material. ;)