TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wrestling365

TSM Exclusive: Co-Writer Talks About Harley Race

Guest wrestling365

"King Of The Ring: The Harley Race Story" is co-written by Gerry Tritz an editor for the Jefferson City News Tribune in Missouri. Earlier this week I caught up with Gerry to ask him a few questions about the book. . .

MA: How did this project come about?

GT: Harley has planned for years to write his autobiography. When he opened his wrestling school in Eldon, Missouri, in 1999, I jumped at the chance to cover the story. When Harley signed a contract for the book with Sports Publishing early this year, he suggested me as the possible author. Again, I jumped at the chance. I've watched Harley wrestle on TV since I was a kid, so this was an opportunity I wasn't about to turn down.

I'm guessing it came together now because his life has settled down enough that he had the time to do it. Even now, at the age of 61, Harley is intensely busy and still lives and breathes wrestling. I interviewed him once or twice a week for six months, so I quicky grew accustomed to the constant barrage of phone calls and visitors from wrestlers, fans, business associates and friends.

MA: What can fans expect from the book?

GT: In "King of the Ring," fans can expect to see fascinating look at a multifacited man. If you think of Harley as a "bad to the bone" kind of guy, you'd be right. But there's so much more to him. People who know him have described him as a "big teddy bear." The book also shows how he made the transformation from a hated heel to a beloved elder statesman.

MA: What makes Harley's book different to others already on the market?

GT: Harley's book is probably unique in the sense that he conveyed with brutal honesty what a wild life he's had, while still keeping the book more PG-rated than R-rated. He's a straight shooter, and he didn't want to sanitize his experiences. But he didn't feel like he needed profanities in every paragraph to tell his story. It's a book you can buy for a Christmas present and not be embarassed about.

MA: What was your favorite story in the book?

GT: I'm not sure I can pick out one favorite story, but I do like the chapter that details his life in the mid to late '60s, when he and Larry Hennig were tag-team champions ini Minneapolis. It was Harley's first real taste of wealth and fame, and he handled it by living life on the edge. He had it all: women, cars, boats, guns. And beer. He liked his beer. A chapter in the book talks about all the repercussions he had from being a heel. He was shot, stabbed, had his boat sank and his car torched.

MA: Finally, did working with Harley change your perspective on the wrestling business?

GT: It made me realize that for most people involved in wrestling, it's not a business. It's a passion that doesn't pay the bills unless you're one of the best. Harley was fortunate. But even as fortunate as he was, he had more than his share of sorrow in his life. And much of that was either directly or indirectly related to the business. It's a brutal profession. But if you ask him, he'll tell you that he has no regrets.

"King of the Ring" goes on sale November 30. You can pre-order your copy now at all good book stores.

Guest wrestling365
Wrestling365 stole the original article from here.

That's the press release written by Gerry for the book. It was used by permission...

Enjoy the interview, you might learn something, its about publicity for a great man who did a lot for the buiness.

Also, try posting something constructive next time. . .

Guest MikeSC

You don't sound too irate, APO.

You need to live up your name, drive to his house, and beat the hell out of him.

Then maul his mother.

And his dad.

-=Mike

Guest TonyJaymzV1

you just blatantly steal anything and everything and put it in your "newsletter".

fucking hack

Guest wrestling365
you just blatantly steal anything and everything and put it in your "newsletter".

fucking hack

:bonk:

Its good enough for Meltzer to use you tool!!

Not gonna argue with ya Tony, leave me to do my thing and I'll let you live your shady existance... get your head out of ya hole buddy :0

I'll let you live your shady existance...

Dude - you plagiarize professional wrestling news sources and distribute information compiled by others for free on the internet.

Then you proceed to promote your means of distribution through internet forums where you're unwanted and have no credibility.

Shady existance defines you, my friend.

Guest wrestling365
I'll let you live your shady existance...

Dude - you plagiarize professional wrestling news sources and distribute information compiled by others for free on the internet.

Then you proceed to promote your means of distribution through internet forums where you're unwanted and have no credibility.

Shady existance defines you, my friend.

Dude - If you read what I put out you would know that's simply not true...

To list recent examples...

I was first on the Eddie G. car crash story... pwinsider used it days later, then a week later Meltzer put it in the Observer.

I was first of Brian C. WWE developmental signing... days later it appeared elsewhere.

I have my own sources, I know people in the biz...

I'm not saying I know it all - just that I'm not the hack you make me out to be.

To stop you crying into your keyboard, I've removed the opening which I was encouraged to use by Gerry...

Guest wrestling365
You *do* know what "exclusive" means, right?

Yes, prove me wrong with links and I'll shut up...

Um.

"Its good enough for Meltzer to use you tool!!" - You.

Now, a "TSM Exclusive" would be *just* for TSM. That's the definition of exclusive. Nevermind that this has nothing to do with the WWE in any capacity at all and never mentioned the WWE once in it... that alone makes this whole thing kinda silly.

Now, I'm not "against" you or what you do here, even though it's more akin to shilling than posting, I just don't really see the purpose of any of it.

Guest Dazed

Hmm... I'm not sure what to do with this thread, but since it's not WWE related, I'll palm it off on JHawk.

Guest wrestling365
Um.

"Its good enough for Meltzer to use you tool!!" - You.

Now, a "TSM Exclusive" would be *just* for TSM. That's the definition of exclusive. Nevermind that this has nothing to do with the WWE in any capacity at all and never mentioned the WWE once in it... that alone makes this whole thing kinda silly.

Now, I'm not "against" you or what you do here, even though it's more akin to shilling than posting, I just don't really see the purpose of any of it.

If promoting a book is classed as shilling that I'm guily as charged.

I took it to Meltzer because it wasn't being appreciated here...

I thought you said you'd shut up :)

Consider your audience W365. 99% of people here never saw Harley Race in top form, and that 1% sure as shit ain't in the WWE Folder. Now, there are people that will give him "respect" because of his "accomplishments" and say he's a "legend" and will be "shocked" if he ever died, but I don't think they really give a flying fuck about him. So now you post an interview, *not even with Harley Race himself*, and you expect it to get "appreciated"?

As for your "shilling", you've started off posts with "from the W365 newsletter" and then with links attached.

Since nobody's actually commented on the interview itself, I'm just going to close this thread and keep the flame war from getting out of hand.

Count me in as one of those who wants to read the book, however.