TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Ashlee Simpson on SNL

So, it has went from "my band screwed up" to "It was just an enhancement track" to "yeah I did it, FEEL BAD FOR ME! I'M TIRED!!!"

What a load.

Guest Miss Indy Queen

This just gets better and better. A radio station in NY, Z100 is hosting live at the Radio Awards in Vegas. Well a little while ago they had Ashlee's dad on the show "explaining" the story. This is the story they're sticking with.

From her dad: Ashlee has acid reflux disease and on saturday morning her throat was sore and irritated. She consulted with a physican who said she shouldn't perform because her throat was irritated. She knew she couldn't cancel the SNL performance so her father was the one who suggested using the backing tape. She didn't want to but after doing dress rehearsal her throat was killing her so much that she walked off stage in tears from the pain. That night they gave the instructions to her DRUMMER to make sure the first song that is played is Pieces of Me and the second Autobiography. Well showtime, and the first song goes on and everything went smoothly. AS for the second song, the drummer was soo excited about performing on SNL that he FORGOT to change the settings for the second song. When the performance started he had NO CLUE what was going on because he had his ear plugged so he couldn't hear anything. Ashlee and the other band members didn't know what to do so she danced. She left the stage because she was embarrassed over the situation and she didn't want to use the backing system in the first place.

The interview will be up on z100.com they said later on tonight. So there you go, that is the story they are using that her father suggested her using the recording and her drummer is to blame for not changing the song! But don't worry, her father said they are not going to fire him because it was an honest mistake and this will not affect his daughter.

Oh he also suggested if noone believes her talent they can tune in tonight because she will be singing LIVE.

AS for the second song, the drummer was soo excited about performing on SNL that he FORGOT to change the settings for the second song.

The Hell does change the settings mean? He forgot to flip the tape for Ashlee's vocals?

When the performance started he had NO CLUE what was going on because he had his ear plugged so he couldn't hear anything

The band was actually playing, right? Even not, why would you have your ears plugged so you couldn't hear anything? You would want to look like you're playing to the tempo.

From her dad: Ashlee has acid reflux disease and on saturday morning her throat was sore and irritated. She consulted with a physican who said she shouldn't perform because her throat was irritated. She knew she couldn't cancel the SNL performance so her father was the one who suggested using the backing tape. She didn't want to but after doing dress rehearsal her throat was killing her so much that she walked off stage in tears from the pain. That night they gave the instructions to her DRUMMER to make sure the first song that is played is Pieces of Me and the second Autobiography. Well showtime, and the first song goes on and everything went smoothly. AS for the second song, the drummer was soo excited about performing on SNL that he FORGOT to change the settings for the second song. When the performance started he had NO CLUE what was going on because he had his ear plugged so he couldn't hear anything. Ashlee and the other band members didn't know what to do so she danced. She left the stage because she was embarrassed over the situation and she didn't want to use the backing system in the first place.

And this gets even better. Props to Daddy for stepping up and biting the bullet, and coming up with a plausible story for it. Not only does it cover why she was using the vocal track, but it takes care of the issue of people who saw how awful Ashlee was during dress rehearsal.

And the drummer? Hey, he's a tour drummer, so he's a nameless face that can be replaced. But of course

her father said they are not going to fire him because it was an honest mistake and this will not affect his daughter.

and I think we have to call "bullshit" on that. This is like a GM in sports giving the coach a vote of confidence. I hope the guy doesn't get blacklisted.

As for inconsistencies, well, the one that stands out to me is this:

AS for the second song, the drummer was soo excited about performing on SNL that he FORGOT to change the settings for the second song.  When the performance started he had NO CLUE what was going on because he had his ear plugged so he couldn't hear anything.

So I suppose it's lucky that the drum beats were EXACTLY THE SAME for both songs, eh? And why is the drummer changing the settings? Don't you have a sound technician for that?

Guest Regina Phelange

There's something terribly wrong with the words "Daddy Simpson"...

Guest Miss Indy Queen

Well her father did claim in the interview he's been around the business for 7 years and knows a lot of people that use backing tracks on performances.

I just had my friend at work play both songs on her computer and shockingly!! they are NOT the same beat. I swear the way they are spinning this whole mess is just getting better and better.

Their dad is pretty smart- I mean he made both his daughters very famous. You have to give Daddy Simpson credit for that

He's no Matthew Knowles, but yeah, credit where credit's due. He's managed to carve successful careers for the stupid one who sings piss-poor cover songs, and the less talented, less pretty one as well. Can't imagine that that's an easy life...

Guest Regina Phelange

Oh, please, somebody ease my mind and tell me there aren't MORE Simpson children...

Well her father did claim in the interview he's been around the business for 7 years and knows a lot of people that use backing tracks on performances.

I haven't been around the business and I can name several.

I just had my friend at work play both songs on her computer and shockingly!!  they are NOT the same beat.

You don't say. I am in total shock by this revelation. :)

Guest whitemilesdavis

So I guess the whole spin is that we shouldn't be upset that she lip-synced, but what about the fact that she gave a completely horrible performance?

Look, I don't expect much from Ashlee, and it just serves her right for riding Jess's coattails. There is just no substitute for talent.

Guest ken adams

Let me get this straight, on Saturday, she had acid refluxcapacitor disease, but tonight she's better?

Man, she's pretty lucky that the day she needs to prove her real "ability," at the Not Another Teen Music Awards Show, all of a sudden her voice is 100%.

Whoever watches this show tonight, pay close attention to the band & make sure it's the same 4 guys, especially the drummer.

As for the drummers headset, he's listening to a click track (that keeps time). It's generally used when synching to a video screen at a concert. For example, when the skeleton raps in the Rush song "Roll The Bones", the band hits the mark at the same time as the skeleton.

Click tracks are also used when your singer is lip-synching. Oops! I mean suffering from avril reflux disease.

Ashlee has acid reflux disease

This is the first non-45+ male I've ever encountered with acid reflux disease.

I think that's another secret that the Simpson family doesn't want to let out...

Guest whitemilesdavis

My sister has dealt with acid reflux since her early teens. Oddly enough, she's a singer. (She got a vocal scholarship to Winthrop University) It has never affected her voice whatsoever.

Exactly. I have acid reflux, and it's not something that just "pops up" every so often. It's triggered usually by something you eat- in my case pizza- that brings the burning. There are perscription medications for it, and even taking an antacid before eating said food will prevent an occurence. This is one of the worst excuses ever.

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/32613.htm

OUT OF SYNCH SIMPSON

October 25, 2004 -- LIP synch? Me?

Teen singer Ashlee Simpson says the embarassing snafu on "Saturday Night Live" that revealed at least some of her vocals are pre-taped was all a misunderstanding.

Ashlee, younger sister of the pop singer Jessica Simpson, told "SNL" producers that only back-up vocals were contained on a track that was mistakenly played during the live show.

"She told us it was only back-up," a show official said yesterday.

Apparently, she sings the lead vocal live — but relies on tape recordings to provide the fuller, background vocals, the official said.

"That's what she told us," he said. "It's not unusual. A lot of people use back-up tracks" when performing on "SNL," the official said.

The Sunday morning news programs and Internet chat rooms were crackling yesterday with chatter about the spectacular foul-up that caught Simpson singing the wrong song on live TV.

Simpson, who was the musical performer on "SNL," was to debut her new single on Saturday, called "Autobiography."

But as she began to sing, the band cued up the wrong track — it was the vocal accompaniment to the song she'd sung earlier in the program, "Pieces of Me."

Flustered, Ashlee stopped — but of course, viewers could hear her singing but could clearly see her standing on stage with her mouth closed.

After a few moments, Simpson ran off stage and the show cut away to a commercial.

The producers quickly huddled backstage and decided to explain the screw up in the show's final sign off. — Michael Shain

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/32613.htm

OUT OF SYNCH SIMPSON

October 25, 2004 -- LIP synch? Me?

Teen singer Ashlee Simpson says the embarassing snafu on "Saturday Night Live" that revealed at least some of her vocals are pre-taped was all a misunderstanding.

Ashlee, younger sister of the pop singer Jessica Simpson, told "SNL" producers that only back-up vocals were contained on a track that was mistakenly played during the live show.

"She told us it was only back-up," a show official said yesterday.(1)

Apparently, she sings the lead vocal live — but relies on tape recordings to provide the fuller, background vocals, the official said.

"That's what she told us," he said. "It's not unusual. A lot of people use back-up tracks" when performing on "SNL," the official said. (2)

The Sunday morning news programs and Internet chat rooms were crackling yesterday with chatter about the spectacular foul-up that caught Simpson singing the wrong song on live TV.

Simpson, who was the musical performer on "SNL," was to debut her new single on Saturday, called "Autobiography."

But as she began to sing, the band cued up the wrong track — it was the vocal accompaniment to the song she'd sung earlier in the program, "Pieces of Me." (3)

Flustered, Ashlee stopped — but of course, viewers could hear her singing but could clearly see her standing on stage with her mouth closed.

After a few moments, Simpson ran off stage and the show cut away to a commercial.

The producers quickly huddled backstage and decided to explain the screw up in the show's final sign off. — Michael Shain (4)

And I'll have to call "bullshit" again...

(1) I can believe this part. You tell someone that it's a track of backup vox, so who are they to not believe you?

(2) Note that the person said that a lot of people use backup tracks. Again, not a surprise, as it's not unusual. Chances are you did that layering in the studio, so if you want it to sound like the CD track, you're gonna do that.

(3) And here's where it's BS. If you've heard the song before, you know that there's no "vocal accompaniment" until she hits the chorus. It's clearly the lead vocals that you hear.

(4) The producers don't have to defend or explain any snafus on the show. If they did, can they explain the screwup where Horatio Sanz is still employed? Papi Simpson probably requested a chance to explain things, which really just made things worse.

Maybe this will be like when Kelsey Grammar announced his wife had a urinary tract infection

Maybe Ashlee "I wish I could sing" Simpson will lead the way in the awareness of Acid Reflux disease!

Guest Smues

I just took a peak at the billboard charts. Ashlee's album is triple platinum!?? What the fuck is wrong with people. We're doomed as a race.

My boss thinks Ashlee is very talented and she bought her album. Although this is the same person that bought William Hung's CD and listens to it constantly.

She also tried defending Ashlee this morning to me.

EDIT: And as I check the Tonight Show calender, Ashlee is set to perform this Thursday night.

Ashlee's album sold well because of her hit show.

It perfectly built up the anticipation for it and everyone knew when it came out and wanted to listen to it.

Guest MikeSC

It perfectly built up the anticipation for it and everyone knew when it came out and wanted to listen to it.

I don't see how it's possible. I watched the show once, thought she was an untalented lump of suck, and had no desire to see her again.

Apparently, Jessica has the looks AND the talent in that family.

-=Mike

...Who hates Jessica Simpson's singing, but thinks her breasts are divine...

Guest MikeSC
My boss thinks Ashlee is very talented and she bought her album. Although this is the same person that bought William Hung's CD and listens to it constantly.

She also tried defending Ashlee this morning to me.

EDIT: And as I check the Tonight Show calender, Ashlee is set to perform this Thursday night.

Um, is your boss a 12 year old girl?

-=Mike

...Is your boss "special" in an Olympics kind of way?...

I don't see how it's possible. I watched the show once, thought she was an untalented lump of suck, and had no desire to see her again.

-=Mike

Because she was Jessica's sister it got off to a good start and apparently it was a good show.

Like the show or not- you can't deny that's the perfect way to promote an album

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

Because she was Jessica's sister it got off to a good start and apparently it was a good show.

Like the show or not- you can't deny that's the perfect way to promote an album

I'm actually shocked MTV doesn't just hire a group of 25 screaming 12-year old girls to hype up every single "Artist" they choose to fellate --- I mean promote.

-=Mike

...It'd be cheaper and less of a human rights violation than airing an entire show dedicated to an untalented lump o' suck...