TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

BCS Week 2 standings

I still foresee Utah somehow getting screwed out of a BCS bowl

NCAA: "Sorry Utah, you can't go to a BCS bowl game this year"

Utah: "Why not?! We went undefeated this year."

NCAA: "Yeah, well, you... uhhhh... played with ineligible players... and one of your coaches gave a stick of gum to a recruit last year... you KNOW you can't be doing that. Now if you'll excuse me, Notre Dame's on the other line."

Guest Ether

If Utah goes undefeated, the Fiesta Bowl will invite them. It's close enough for their fans to sell out the place, and that's what really counts when it comes to these bowls. Plus, there is a senator from Utah that will threaten with legal action if Utah is snubbed, like he was planning to a few years ago when BYU flirted with an undefeated season. The BCS doesn't want a lawsuit and/or government investigation any more than it wants three undefeated BSC teams.

If Cal finishes with just one loss and USC goes to the Orange Bowl, the Rose Bowl will do whatever it takes to get Cal so it can have it's traditional Pac-10 v. Big-10 matchup.

I'd still like to know how UTEP made it #24.

Looking at the mess

Boise State, ranked 18th and 7-0, has Hawaii, SJST, Nevada, and La Tech left to play meaning they could go undefeated and not get a major bowl bid.

Utah, ranked ninth and 7-0, has SDST, Colo St, Wyoming and BYU left. They could go undefeated and not get a major bowl bid.

Wisconsin, ranked 6th and 8-0, has Minnesota, Michigan St and Iowa. Meaning they could go undefeated and win a major conference title.

Auburn, ranked 3rd and 8-0, has Miss, Georiga and Alabama with either a game against Tenn or Georiga again. Tougher road but they could go undefeated, win the SEC and not get a shot at the National Title

Miami, ranked 4th and 6-0, has NC, Clem, VA, Wake, and Va Tech. Could go undefeated, win the ACC and not get a shot at the national title.

In other words....Chaos could be coming.

Excellllent

Guest Ether
I'd still like to know how UTEP made it #24.

Who would you put above them?

Umm, just about anybody that plays in a major conference, and several other mid-majors as well.

Let's look at just a sample of a few unranked teams: Notre Dame, NC State, Georgia Tech, Arkansas, South Carolina, Oregon, Oregon State, Michigan State, Ohio State, Southern Miss, Boston College, UConn, Pittsburgh, and Marshall, just to name a few. Also include Minnesota, who is ranked below them at #25, and Iowa (#23), Virignia Tech (#22), and Purdue (#21). Do you think UTEP would come within two touchdowns of any of these teams?

Somehow, the BCS has a team ranked #24 who got blown out by their best opponent - Arizona State - and hasn't beat any team of merit except for possibly Fresno State. The most impressive thing they done all year is keep it close to Boise State, but then again, Boise State hasn't been blowing up bad teams like they have in the past.

Don't get me wrong, Mike Price has done a good job in taking team that has won only 6 games in the last three years and producing a team that will probably go to a bowl this year, but there is no way this is the #24 team in the nation.

The important thing to me is that my team is at #2 and won't drop until they lose a game....which probably won't happen. Hello Orange Bowl.

Not necessarily. They're not so far ahead of Miami that the Hurricanes can't reverse it yet again. The computers will be the wild card here.

The important thing to me is that my team is at #2 and won't drop until they lose a game....which probably won't happen. Hello Orange Bowl.

Not necessarily. They're not so far ahead of Miami that the Hurricanes can't reverse it yet again. The computers will be the wild card here.

Eh it's very doubtful b/c of the fact that OU will be playing two very good ranked teams on the road and if they win those games impressively then they will gain more first place votes from the human voters and I believe the gain in first place votes is what allowed them to jump ahead this week.

If OU and USC both keep winning then nothing is going to stop them from facing one another.

And it'll be the correct game for the national title. And it's gotta be the first time in a long time that #1 and #2 in the preseason hook up in the title game.

Eh it's very doubtful b/c of the fact that OU will be playing two very good ranked teams on the road and if they win those games impressively then they will gain more first place votes from the human voters and I believe the gain in first place votes is what allowed them to jump ahead this week.

If OU and USC both keep winning then nothing is going to stop them from facing one another.

And it'll be the correct game for the national title. And it's gotta be the first time in a long time that #1 and #2 in the preseason hook up in the title game.

There was virtually no movement in the human polls this week. The huge leap by OU in the computers is what moved them up. There's going to be hardly any movement in the human polls until someone loses, because the voters generally don't move a team midseason unless they lose or someone ahead of them loses. Besides, gaining a point or two out of 1500 (in the human poll) doesn't make any difference at all, whereas gaining a point or two out of 100 (in the computer poll)makes a relatively huge difference.

Besides, Miami has a couple of games against ranked teams coming up themselves. It's going to be really close going to the wire.

Finally, as long as there are more than two undefeated teams, who's to say what the "right" national title game would be?

Yeah but if you people had your way OU wouldn't be in that title game although they're clearly good enough to be. That's my point. No matter how good they do or how high they are there's always some jackass that bitches about their placement and things they're underserving.

Hell I bet when they were rolling over people left and right last season(before the Big XII title game) people were bitching they shouldn't be #1.

Guest Ether

What about Auburn? In the event they go undefeated, who's to say they are not more deserving than any of the other teams? They've beat LSU, clobbered Tennessee and Arkansas, and still have dates with Georgia, arch-rival Alabama, and the SEC title game, most likely a rematch with a revenge-hungry Tennessee.

Yeah but if you people had your way OU wouldn't be in that title game although they're clearly good enough to be. That's my point. No matter how good they do or how high they are there's always some jackass that bitches about their placement and things they're underserving.

Hell I bet when they were rolling over people left and right last season(before the Big XII title game) people were bitching they shouldn't be #1.

You really need to work on that persecution complex. Either that or exhibit some ability to see the opposing point of view.

(Sorry Bored.)

Whatever. OU played pretty well against Texas and has been sluggish out of the gate in several of their games. They're still winning, which is wonderful and great, but when it's down to who's #2 and who's #3, these are some of the things you look at.

Though honestly, I see no team playing better than Auburn right now. They've had zero letdowns, and as Ether just noted, they have unquestionably the most impressive schedule if they get through undefeated. Ultimately I don't care, because all I want at the end of the season are great bowl games. I think Auburn's the better team, but if I get stuck watching them play Miami, I think I'll cope.

Because for some reason people seem to think that OU plays the weakest schedule in all of division 1 football when USC's is just as bad. And on top of that people seem to want to find every excuse to keep us out of the title game.

I don't know how exactly the country fell in love with USC but if you haven't noticed they aren't exactly that much if AT ALL better than OU.

People seem to be in denial about how good we are and the fact that yes we are one of the best in the country.

That's why I get upset. Because someone on this board always wants to find a reason why they don't belong in the title game and *shock* it's only against OU!

Whatever. OU played pretty well against Texas and has been sluggish out of the gate in several of their games. They're still winning, which is wonderful and great, but when it's down to who's #2 and who's #3, these are some of the things you look at.

Though honestly, I see no team playing better than Auburn right now. They've had zero letdowns, and as Ether just noted, they have unquestionably the most impressive schedule if they get through undefeated. Ultimately I don't care, because all I want at the end of the season are great bowl games. I think Auburn's the better team, but if I get stuck watching them play Miami, I think I'll cope.

Sluggish? Try not giving a damn. As they've proven over and over again against these teams....they turn it on whenever they want.

They play like they don't care then say "Hey time to play football" and just turn it on. Not many teams can just turn it on and off like that but they do. They have enough talent to half ass a game and still annihilate there opponent. Against OSU and A&M I gurantee they will be trying 100% and clicking on all cylinders. Then it won't be pretty.

How anyone can deny their talent and ability is just beyond me. You've got a terriffic defense, the best O-Line in the country, last year's Heisman trophy winner and one of the Top 5 QB's in the country, and this year's probable Heisman trophy winner and all around freak at running back.

Sluggish? Try not giving a damn. As they've proven over and over again against these teams....they turn it on whenever they want.

Truly the mark of a team everyone hates... an overconfident team who only plays "when they want to".

Truly the mark of a team everyone hates... an overconfident team who only plays "when they want to".

Hey if we're that good then so be it. And we are that good. We've proven it.

That's all fine, but don't complain when people are biased against them for that reason.

Yeah, can't imagine why ANYONE on this board would hate Oklahoma.

To bad I won't be around for the game just like I wasn't around for the OU/Texas game.

Hey if you hate OU because I like them then that's a really really weak reason. I suppose you can hate them b/c I like them so much but to deny their talent is just stupid.

To bad I won't be around for the game just like I wasn't around for the OU/Texas game.

Hey if you hate OU because I like them then that's a really really weak reason. I suppose you can hate them b/c I like them so much but to deny their talent is just stupid.

If you were referring to me:

1. I am an USC supporter... being from California and all, so obviously I would hate Oklahoma (I also hate Miami, Florida State, Florida, and all the good teams not from California with the exception of Illinois teams but they suck so...)

2. I don't hate them because you like them. I just merely used your words as example for why I hate them, because they are overconfident. YOU and all the OU supporters has written it off as if it's virtually guaranteed OU is going to be in the Orange Bowl. I think USC is going to the Orange Bowl, but I'm not going to harp about it "Oh so this is the bowl schedule, Orange being USC vs (insert team), blah blah". I've seen a few posts of yours where you already do.

3. You're a nice guy, it's awesome to see devoted fans of certain teams, but there's a word called modesty that could go a long way. This is why the board, presumably, hate OU (because of your and the team's overconfidence). It's probably the same reason people hate Yankees as well and like to egg Anglesault on. If you want to be overconfident, don't get all huffy because people like to egg you on for it.

That being said, I wouldn't mind USC vs Oklahoma in Orange Bowl, and SHOULD it come down to that, it should be a fun and great game.

Just wondering, is there anyone who doesn't think Louisville wins the Big East when the Cards join next year?

For some reason I can't see Wisconsin going undefeated. They just aren't good enough or "kick the shit out of someone" enough to do it. They basically got lucky against Purdue, and I think someone like Minnesota or Iowa will take them out (hell MSU has a chance if they bring their A game). Michigan will likely win a mediocre Big 10.

Also, I think Utah will get upset somewhere along the line...I have no idea against who though. Maybe Colorado St.? They can't deny me the Liberty Bowl dream match!

Auburn will end up losing somewhere along the line in a highly difficult SEC. Maybe Georgia, or the SEC title game.

Boise St. can probably go undefeated and still not get to a real bowl. They can take pleasure in delighting some poor bastard in the Blue Smurf Turf Bowl.

Miami is seriously not good enough to go undefeated. One look at their games against FSU or U of L will show you that is a shaky team. Someone like VA or VA Tech will upset them.

So yeah, USC and Oklahoma will be the title game. And Jason White will throw 3 INTs.

So yeah, USC and Oklahoma will be the title game. And Jason White will throw 3 INTs.

That's ok b/c he'll throw for 2 more TD's and AD will rush for 225 yards and 1 TD giving OU a victory. ;)

It should happen. But, besides the national championship season when Oklahoma flew under the radar. Stoops has always lost at least 1 game during the season.

What i'm wondering is why suddenly this year 3-4 major conference teams go undefeated? As that ever happened before? Seriously, it's rare two go undefeated but 3 or 4 is a reach.However it happens, in the end i think only 2 teams that matter are undefeated.

Well, the situation's really not that much different this year, at least not yet. At this point in the season last year, there were five undefeateds, although two of them were mid-majors below the level of this year's Utah team (NIU and TCU), and two more still had to play each other (Miami and VT).

I think in analyzing the undefeateds, a lot of it's due to schedule. Wisconsin and Oklahoma are taking advantage of the fact that the Big Ten and Big XII are at about their weakest level in history, and in Wisconsin's case, they also get to miss Michigan.

USC had both Cal and ASU at home. And then as far as Utah and Boise State are concerned, UTEP is the only other team in either of their conferences that has a winning record.

All that leaves is Miami and Auburn, and given their schedules, one or both of them probably will pick up a loss before the season's done.

If Auburn can run the table then they are deserving of playing in the title game more than anyone. Theyre schedule is ridiculously harder than USC or OU.

I dont see Utah losing at all this season. They simply dont have anyone left to play. I dont think any of their opponents are nearly good enough to upset them. They deserve to be in a BCS game if they go undefeated and then we can see how good they really are. Same with Boise St. who probably just beat their toughest remaining opponent last week.

Guest Ether

Boise State won't get in because 1. They've played one BCS opponent - Oregon State - and that team is having only an average year. Compare that to Utah, who's played three 3 BCS teams, one of which - Texas A&M - is having a very good year despite the fact the Utah made them look really bad. 2. They haven't been killing their opponents like in years past. Fair or not, people are going to see that they beating teams like Tulsa by 3 points. 3. There is no way 2 mid-majors are ever going to get in.

Before predicting what players will do in the national championship game, let's see who makes it to the game first. All the undefeated teams have landmines on their schedule that could ruin their seasons. I thought I remember Beano Cook a few years ago saying that there hasn't been more than 2 undefeated teams at the end of college football regular season since at least 1968 - probably longer, so the odds are that the majority of teams will end up losing once - it's just a matter of whom.

The odds are against the teams. But the two that have the best chance to do it are USC and Wisconsin since Auburn, OU, and Miami all have teams that could potentially upset them or outright beat the hell out of them.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Auburn is trampling everyone they play right now. I think "revenge-hungry" Tennessee is going to look more like an overwhelmed team with their mind on the last couple games as opposed to the one at hand. Georgia has the best chance of beating them, I think. That's going to be a damn good ballgame.