TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

AWA Backstage Gossip

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I just read Larry Nelson's (AWA Broadcaster) Autobiography and here's some interesting stuff he had to say:

Nick Bockwinkel's debuet match was aganist Lou Thesz (Nick was a last second replacement)

Hulk Hogan was a cokehead, as was Mean Gene, and they used to do it together in preperation for the marathon interview tapings

Road Warrior Hawk raped a 16 year old ring rat at a hotel in Winnepeg

The AWA used to have the pool closed off at that Hotel and rats were let in and the place was a virtual orgy

The only two people who weren't in on it were Larry Zybysko and Sherri Martel -who spent many nights together dispite Larry Z being married

Promoter Wally Karbo had a huge penis and had rats in every town to pleasure him (well into his late 60's +)

Shawn Micheals hired a hooker to show up at the interview tapings on Marty Jennedy's birthday....she preceded to blow him off while the camera's rolled... The Gagne's weren't impressed

Jerry Sags of the Nasty boyz, was a "goon" for a loan shark and fancied chewing off the ears of those in debt of his boss

When Larry Zybysko and his wife got divorced she passed out nude pics of Larry everywhere (Larry ended up marrying a Gagne)

Larry Nelson broke kayfabe on one of the AWA's syndicated shows, revealing his real name among other personal things

Bruiser Brody was big on cocaine

Denver was killed as a town after 3 straight Blackwell vs Brody main events were canceled at the last moment due to one or both men not showing up - and Hansen's no show vs Bockwinkel as well

Eric Bishcoff (I know I spelled that wrong) has false teeth, as many of his real teeth were knocked out by bullies at school, who beat him up regularly . That's what made him learn karate

The Saito/Patera McDonalds incident was fueled by lots of drugs

Guest DR PHIL

Eric Bishcoff (I know I spelled that wrong) has false teeth, as many of his real teeth were knocked out by bullies at school, who beat him up regularly . That's what made him learn karate.

NO FUCKING WAY!!!!

'Dies of disbelief"

Guest Loss

A lot of that has been said by others as well. The Michaels and Jannetty stories don't surprise me at all considering their reputation while teaming. Many wrestlers from the 80s have called Hogan a huge drug user and partier during the heyday of Hulkamania. He apparently settled down sometime around the birth of his second child.

Jerry Sags of the Nasty boyz, was a "goon" for a loan shark and fancied chewing off the ears of those in debt of his boss

You'd think he'd stick the guy's face in his arm pit instead.

Read that book about two years ago. Definitely an entertaining piece. Although Nelson talked about Sherri like she was Stacy Kiebler or something. I've never found that woman to be attractive.

Man, I'm starting to think I have the worst taste in women ever. :(

I actually used to kinda like Sherri back in the day...like around the time she first started managing Savage. She also had her moments when she managed Harlem Heat.

Guest Loss

Sherri wasn't that pretty, but I think she was one of the best ringside seconds there ever was. She doesn't ever get credit for it either.

Character wise, I agree. Michaels even said in his shoot interview that when she managed him, if guys weren't working well with him, he'd do a spot where he put them on the floor and she'd beat the stiff the shit out of them for Shawn.

Guest MikeSC

I dont think we needed a book to figure that out...

I thought they just REALLY wanted a f#$^^$ Whopper.

-=Mike

A lot of that has been said by others as well. The Michaels and Jannetty stories don't surprise me at all considering their reputation while teaming. Many wrestlers from the 80s have called Hogan a huge drug user and partier during the heyday of Hulkamania. He apparently settled down sometime around the birth of his second child.

I know a BUNCH of Marty/HBK stories. All of them are very entertaining.

I dont think we needed a book to figure that out...

I thought they just REALLY wanted a f#$^^$ Whopper.

-=Mike

Actually I think it was McNuggets, damn those things are addictive

Eric Bishcoff (I know I spelled that wrong) has false teeth, as many of his real teeth were knocked out by bullies at school, who beat him up regularly . That's what made him learn karate

:o

HOLY FUCK!

Promoter Wally Karbo had a huge penis and had rats in every town to pleasure him (well into his late 60's +)

Yes. Wally Karbo was the greatest AWA personality ever.

Yes. Wally Karbo was the greatest AWA personality ever.

How's the old age home Verne?

I know a BUNCH of Marty/HBK stories. All of them are very entertaining.

Did Spike leave? If not, hit us with those stories.

Wally Karbo

the GREAT wrestling promoter

calls me on the phone

and he says

'Naitch,

Slick Ric,

I'm gonna make the price right.'

Too bad he didn't go into any detail about the rumor of how Gagne offered the Iron Shiek $100k to break Hogan's leg during their title match. I would love to find out once and for all whether or not that was true.

That's what Sheik says, but I've also heard that he's full of shit which is not exactly hard to believe.

Better be careful with that kind of talk, or the Sheik might try to humble you.