TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 10/28 - 10/30

Because back when the discussions to create the Big XII were taking place (c. mid-late '93) then Texas gov and Baylor alum Ann Richards (predecessor to Dubya, for those who don't know) lobbied to have Baylor as the fourth school with UT, Tech and AnM.

Other considerations were the other major Texas colleges like Houston, TCU, Rice or even the how-did-they-survive? SMU

Also, horrible football program aside, they should have been tossed out on their ass after everything that happened with their basketball program

If you search through a couple of the early season TWiCF threads we went over Baylor's placement in the Big XII.

Indiana upsets Minnesota 30-21. Michigan and Florida State are both losing at halftime.

Score updates for the many non-t.v. games in the pick 'em contest this week:

Syracuse 42, Connecticut 30 Final

Central Michigan 24, Western Michigan 21 Final OT

Iowa State 13, Kansas 7 Final

Mississippi State 22, Kentucky 7 Final

Wyoming 29, Air Force 6 4th

New Mexico 23, Colorado State 14 4th

Cincinnati 21, TCU 10 4th

East Carolina 24, Army 14 4th

Middle Tennessee State 21, Utah State 0 Final

Kent State 28, Ohio 10 Half

What exactly happened with the basketball program?

Whole bunch of academic fraud along with a player getting murdered by another player (who has since been diagnosed as a legit nutcase)

So what a day this has been. OU survives OSU. But they still won on the road against a very very good team. So I'm happy. OSU played us really tough and it's great that we can win when a very good team is playing there best and we're making mistakes. Just proves we're that good.

What exactly happened with the basketball program?
Whole bunch of academic fraud along with a player getting murdered by another player (who has since been diagnosed as a legit nutcase)

The real scummy part was when the head coach tried to cover the murder up.

Another for the "How stupid is the BCS?" file...

Assuming Auburn ends up going undefeated, Georgia would prefer not winning the SEC East. Tennessee winning the division, then losing to Auburn in the SEC championship, would give Georgia its best shot at a BCS bowl.

Yeah I was trying to think of who all needed to win and lose today out of OSU, Texas, and A&M to make OU look good and it started to hurt my head.

And yes Chris what you just mentioned is very messed up.

The Colorado and Texas game was boring the hell out of me up here at work so I switched over to the UGA/FLA game and it seems to be getting exciting.

If Georgia loses this game they kiss there BCS and Conference Title hopes goodbye don't they?

Looks like Michigan State is going to solve a big headache for the Big Ten and upset Michigan.

Florida State pulls within three of Maryland with under eight minutes to go.

In Maryland, the Seminoles are playing, "Will the real Chris Rix please stand up" as Rix hits Stovall for a 15 yrd touchdown to make it 20-17 Maryland with 8:17 left.

Florida State's offense is horrible as usual but the defense has been even worse. A more mature offense would be killing FSU right now.

Okay maybe not so fast, Michigan recovers an onside kick and Braylon Edwards makes a crazy touchdown catch and Michigan pulls within 7 with 6:12 to go.

Guest MikeSC

As a Gamecock fan, we HAVE to dump the coaching staff. I've never seen a team whose offense won't do a damned thing until they're down by 20. Holtz has WAY too much talent to completely dominate Tennessee for a half --- and only be tied.

-=Mike

Whoa......Chris Rix is playing?

Not only playing, performing just like he always does.

One drive, awesome

Next drive, couldn't lead a middle school team

Now the Noles get the ball back, under 2:30 left and it's all up to....Chris Rix.

Well, FSU has lost.

Just saw Les Miles press conference and he is PISSED.

He was like "We're going to drop in the polls. The national media is going to look at us and say 'well they lost to OU' nobody is going to give my team a chance now b/c we lost to OU. Nobody is going to see how hard we played them! I love my team! And I will put them against ANY SUCKER in the country and I will beat there ass."

Man he's pissed about losing it that quick. I tend to agree with him about nobody giving him his respect b/c they did play OU tough and they did hang in there with an elite team that's ranked #2 in the country. He did do a good job.

BUT he wouldn't have scored 14 points if OU hadn't screwed up as bad as they did.

Guest Salacious Crumb

The scarey thing about Michigan is their doing this with a freshman QB and a freshman HB. Henne and Hart are going to make the Big Ten their bitches for the next 4 years.

The scarey thing about Michigan is their doing this with a freshman QB and a freshman HB.  Henne and Hart are going to make the Big Ten their bitches for the next 4 years.

Michigan just tied it all up.

Michigan State must be confused.

Oh, and the crap version of Rix is on the field. Florida State is toast.

Chris Rix makes my brain hurt.

ONE GOD DAMN DRIVE he looks good and when he NEEDS to make the throws HE CAN'T!

Get the HELL out of that jersey you piece of talentless trash!

NBC has to be happy with the Florida State loss as that likely kills their BCS chances and knocks them into a big ratings Gator Bowl against Notre Dame. The Gator Bowl is the only bowl game NBC has and since the Big East is so terrible this year it's likely Notre Dame will be chosen over any Big East team for their #2 slot.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I'm disappointed with how Michigan ran the last drive. Edwards has been grabbing jump balls all during the second half. Why not just throw it up on 3rd and 6 and see if he wins the game for you?

What is with these in-state rivalry games going to the last field goal?

USC is already all up on WSU. USC has already passed their tough tests though so they have the fast track to the Orange Bowl.

Their probable opponents Oklahoma though are facing their tough tests this week and next week on the road.

So if OU wins next week then both teams have their opponents in their line of sight b/c both teams will have beaten there toughest competition.

If OU wins out both teams will have finished the season beating 3 Top 25 teams. Meaning that this should be a good Orange Bowl.

Guest Flyboy
And the OU trend of looking like crap week after week continues.

Umm....actually they looked great.

Great? OU's defense has looked like complete CRAP at times. If their defense continues to play this the following weeks, OU will lose. Take off your homer glasses, Dama. It's tiresome.

And the OU trend of looking like crap week after week continues.

Umm....actually they looked great.

Great? OU's defense has looked like complete CRAP at times. If their defense continues to play this the following weeks, OU will lose. Take off your homer glasses, Dama. It's tiresome.

Umm.....this defense played great the past couple of weeks and they played great today. The only thing they had trouble with was defending the deep ball. Which can easily be worked on. Other than that.....defense is good. And offense appears to be able to score anytime they want.

Take off your "i hate OU and will never give them credit even if they blow USC out 100-0" glasses flyboy. It's tiresome.

Guest Salacious Crumb
Umm.....this defense played great the past couple of weeks and they played great today.

The defense isn't playing great when they have to depend on the other team missing a field goal to win the game.

Umm.....this defense played great the past couple of weeks and they played great today.

The defense isn't playing great when they have to depend on the other team missing a field goal to win the game.

Actually they would've probably beaten them in OT b/c OU's offense was playing great. Not to mention OSU scored twice b/c of OU screwing up. Yes the mistakes were big but usually teams that make two giant mistakes like that lose the game. OU won. Period.

And on top of that OU didn't have trouble with some bitch team. OSU is a legit Top 25 probably Top 15 team.

If you're going to jump on OU about having a close one with OSU then you need to jump on USC for having a close one with Cal. And on top of that OU looked better today than USC did in that game.

You guys will never give them credit for anything. Oh well if they keep winning they're going to the National Title game and it'll all be settled there. Though I'm sure one of you will find a reason to bitch just b/c they're OU.

Ole Miss has held Auburn scoreless thus far. If this one goes close I bet everyone will say "What a showing by Auburn! Way to pull out a tough victory on the road!" as opposed to if OU were to do it you'd all say "OH MY GOD! THEY'RE NUMBER 2!? BULLSHIT!" Seriously you guys don't give them credit for anything and where another team would be praised you bash them.

You praised USC for there close victories against Stanford, Cal, and VATech as opposed to bashing OU for close victories against OSU and Texas.