TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

With the anti-climatic World Series in the books, more moves are being made in baseball. Some news has been coming out in the last week, but the options being declined or picked up are starting to increase. So let's get going.

The Stros picked up Biggio's option and declined Kent's. Not surprising on either part. I think Kent will fit in well in the AL.

The Cubs declined options on Mark Grudzielanek and Moises Alou. Can't say I'm all that surprised, although I half-expected them to hang on to Alou. Glad to see him go, though, as he's declining more rapidly and his attitude was a big blow to the team in 2004. This obviously shows that the Cubs are going to try and sign a somewhat big outfielder in the offseason, if not Beltran.

Guest Brian

Beltran's going to get a ton of money this offseason. How many teams are going to be going after him? M's freed up a ton of money. New York's looking to empty their pockets. Cubs are in there. I'm sure the Astros will look to retain.

Marlins submit a new proposal for the stadium just this morning. They will kick in an additional $17 million but the cost went from $365 to $420 million, so in effect that means nothing. The legislators are actually happy with this because they felt that $365 M was unrealistically low. The main problem now is having the Marlins obtain a letter of credit saying they are responsible for anything over $420 M.

It is looking more and more like this is a total reality... set to open in 2007. They honestly believe it will be passed when Congress reopens in January. One of the gubernatorial candidates is totally for it and the other said he wouldn't veto the bill if it was shown the Marlins can come up with the excess of $420 M.

Mike Lowell will most likely exercise his player option and remain a Marlin for 2005. He is quoted as saying that he is very encouraged by the lastest talks.

So am I, as a fan. Not only do they expect the stadium by 2007 but they are already working to lobby for the 2009 or 2010 All Star Game. Either they are really ahead of themselves or they are supremely confident.

One of the local Marlins news sources said that Loria has stated that if they get the stadium payroll will be increased.

Very exciting time for South Florida baseball.

Beltran has the same agent as A-rod and Pudge?. If that's the case i'm sure Boras is licking his chops at getting a huge money contract. I believe Boras get texas to sign A-rod to $25 million a year before he got traded to the yanks.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Yankees payroll jumping to $200 million in 05.

Guest Brian

Boris basically got Texas to bid up against itself from around 18 to 25 million I believe.

I think Delgado's going to leave Toronto. Right now, despite what I said earlier, I think the Mariners are going to get out of the Beltran sweepstakes and shoot for Delgado. They need the power. They freed up money and that's who they've been talking about getting for a while.

I think Pavano's going to stay in Florida, although I'm sure a bunch of teams will be going after him.

What about Renteria and Nomar? Two very good shortstops on the market, though Nomar's injuries might hurt his chances to get the big money.

I agree Delgado is gone. He had an interview on the Score, and he was saying something to the effect if Ted Rogers woke up and gave him $25 million that would be great. There is no way anyone will pay Delgado that much.

The Jays need pitching, i like the outfield and infield core. Although Eric Hinske is suspect.

I could see the Tigers signing jeff kent.

I hope you're right about Pavano, Brian, but I doubt it. He pitched too well in a contract year. Someone is going to grossly overpay for him and I wouldn't even want him on the team for that inflated salary. If he can sign a decent contract to stay on at the Marlins number 3 (behind a healthy Beckett and Burnett) that would be outstanding.

Benitez, meanwhile, is as good as gone.

I find it funny that Delgado was all "oh I love this City" to the team as reason why he didn't want to move to a contender and yet he said that on the Score.

You gotta laugh at stuff like that.

Why won't the Cubs just make Todd Walker the full time 2nd baseman and forget Kent?

Walker is a decent hitter and fielder and he's a lot less money than Kent. I guess if the Cubs go after Beltran (who honestly, has to LOVE the National League since he was lift off all the time) then Patterson would move to left.

Cubs need bullpen, shore up that closer spot. Hawkins needs to be middle/set up cause he is lights out in that role. I think Chicago should make a move on B.J Ryan out of Baltimore if anything to help that bullpen.

I would think that the Washington team will make a big splash and dip into the free agent market.

I believe Delgado has a good shot at being with the Anaheim Angels next year.

I don't see him going to the NL, because he will be spending the rest of his career as a DH.

Washington is still owned by MLB for 2005. They won't do shit. They won't win more than 70 games.

I want Nomar to stay. Chicago wants Nomar to stay. And I really think Nomar wants to stay. The Tribune should spring for Nomar, I think, because the response to "you can get an equivalent shortstop for a lower price" is "does an equivalent shortstop at a lower price sell Nomar Garciaparra jerseys?"

Beltran, if he cares about winning, and cares about baseball, will be a Cub. I'm sure the pinstripes are enticing, but that certain park on Clark and Addison has proven to be his personal launching pad. He can be just another New York mercenary, or he can be an ultra-superstar on the North Side. Let's be honest. You don't think Hendry & Friends are trying to get Sosa off the team? They haven't effectively turned the city against Sammy for nothing. They could've swept the early departure under the rug, but did not. I look for Beltran and Garciaparra to be the new stars of the Chicago Cubs.

But speculation aside...

(dances)

Alou and Grudz are gone! Alou and Grudz are gone! Whoopee!

Guest Brian

I think Nomar will stay. I think he's not going to get the money he wants, and I think he's come out of Chicago in love with the team and city.

Don't be suprised to see Nomar bolt for SoCal should he get an offer from the Dodgers or the Angels. That was where he was trying to get moved eventually. He would probably take less money to play in his own back yard.

I would be almost 100% sure the Beltran won't be a Yankee and won't be an Astro next year. Yankees clearly don't need more power, they need a starting rotation. Even bullpen upgrades. The problem for the Yanks is that they lack viable major-league ready prospects in the minors and its doubtful that George wants to increase payroll any further. They really want Mark Hudson of the A's but don't have that kinda of payroll space without making any room.

Looking over the free agent list, its a huge shortstop market this offseason. Nomar Garciaparra, Edgar Renteria, Orlando Cabrera, Jose Valentin, Christian Guzman, and Omar Vizquel are all on the market. The outfield market is weak, as is the market for first basemen.

The Cubs declined options on Mark Grudzielanek and Moises Alou. Can't say I'm all that surprised, although I half-expected them to hang on to Alou. Glad to see him go, though, as he's declining more rapidly and his attitude was a big blow to the team in 2004. This obviously shows that the Cubs are going to try and sign a somewhat big outfielder in the offseason, if not Beltran.

That looks like Garciaparra Money to me.

Boris basically got Texas to bid up against itself from around 18 to 25 million I believe.

Both the Mets and Braves were eager to offer $20 million a year. Your point stays the same, but I just wanted to make the point that the Braves COULD'VE had Rodriguez, if Boras didn't convince Texas to bid $50 million over the next team.

Don't know how I feel about that situation personally, though.

I heard Smoltz wants to be a starter, not sure how Atlanta feels about that?! A team on the brink or someone who needs a big time Ace might wanna take a chance on that.

The Cubs should DEFINITELY go after Percival to fix their bullpen problems.

Hopefully the Cardinals don't resign Morris, I might pick up the option on Williams. Gammons said the Cardinals are 50-50 signing Renteria because they're looking for a top-flight ace, and don't have money to spend like that (He mentioned Randy Johnson, not sure about their minor-league system, or who really on the active roster the Diamondbacks would be interested in). I'd like to see a rotation of, Carpenter, Haren, Ankiel, Williams, and Big Time Picter (Pedro, Pavano, Johnson???) next year, and maybe sign Orland Cabrera and look for another second baseman.

I heard Smoltz wants to be a starter, not sure how Atlanta feels about that?! A team on the brink or someone who needs a big time Ace might wanna take a chance on that.

The Cubs should DEFINITELY go after Percival to fix their bullpen problems.

Smoltzie goes through this every year.

"Wah! I wanna be a starter again! Look at the rotation. It sucks! It could use a man like me."

Then he's one of the best closers in the National League and pipes down until October, where he lobbies to start in the postseason. Later rinse repeat.

Screw Percival, I want John Smoltz.

I would be almost 100% sure the Beltran won't be a Yankee and won't be an Astro next year. Yankees clearly don't need more power, they need a starting rotation. Even bullpen upgrades. The problem for the Yanks is that they lack viable major-league ready prospects in the minors and its doubtful that George wants to increase payroll any further. They really want Mark Hudson of the A's but don't have that kinda of payroll space without making any room.

As Al has said before, Beltran could save a LOT of runs in CF.

Guest Anglesault
They really want Mark Hudson of the A's but don't have that kinda of payroll space without making any room.

If Mark Hudson falls through they could always settle for Barry Redman.

He's not available for another year. Go for Tim Harden.

Guest The Shadow Behind You
Looking over the free agent list, its a huge shortstop market this offseason. Nomar Garciaparra, Edgar Renteria, Orlando Cabrera, Jose Valentin, Christian Guzman, and Omar Vizquel are all on the market. The outfield market is weak, as is the market for first basemen.

There is no reason the Cincinnati Reds shouldn't go after at least one of those guys, maybe not Nomar. They won't. We will just alternate crappy infielders throughout the year.

Could you post a list of that Al?

It's in Excel, so there's no easy way to cross-post it here. It will be in column form in the future, as soon as I hear on the players awaiting options, and get it written up. If you can't wait, IM me and I'll ship the file.