TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

Here's my look at the Sox free agents.

Terry Adams - Easily gone.

Pedro Astacio - Same as Adams

Ellis Burks - Already said he's retiring.

Orlando Cabrera - Boston fell in love with him, but his price soared as he produced. I'd like to see him sign on for 2 years until Hanley Ramirez is ready, but I'm sure OC probably wants atleast 4 without any kind of discount the Sox would want him to take.

Ricky Gutierrez - Expensive bench warmer here, elsewhere he can start.

Gabe Kapler - Took a discount last year to stay another year. I could see him moving out to a place like Colorado.

Curtis Leskanic - Dump him.

Derek Lowe - A playoff hero. I'm sure the Sox will low ball him with an offer, but I sure there are plenty of teams ready to dish out cash for a head case.

Pedro Martinez - Petey seems like he wants to stay and I think that he's a safe bet for 3 more years. The money is the big issue because it's clear he wants more than he's worth at this point.

Dave McCarty - He was ready to retire and coach if he didn't make the team last year, I'm sure he's gone, but what he'll do I'm not sure.

Ramiro Mendoza - Hey even Theo makes mistakes, another one to dump.

Doug Mirabelli - Most likely gone, and it'll probably hurt Wake's pitching.

Bill Mueller - He isn't a long term solution for 3B, but the option at 2.1 is a bargain.

Mike Myers - Good with lefties, and righties may as well have a tee. See you later.

Pokey Reese - Probably wouldn't play everyday, and although he became a quick fan favorite, he'll be gone. My pick is Cincy.

Jason Varitek - The team leader, and probably #1 priority. I don't think he'll get Pudge money that Boras is looking for, but maybe something closer to Javy Lopez's contract.

Scott Williamson - Great when he's healthy, but he wasn't around for much of this year and probably gone.

In an interview with Jay Mariotti this morning, Chip Caray implied Stone felt physically threatened.

You know, I like the club, but I really don't like this team. A lot of 2004ers should go. I suspect Mercker had something to do with this.

I'd like to see the White Sox hold on to Maggs, but that seems HIGHLY unlikely. He'll be healthy, and som eteam not from Chicago will offer him a good-to-great deal, and the Sox will pass and let their best player go.

I forgot, Al, is Frank Thomas headed for Cooperstown?

Without a doubt. His career OPS is the tenth best all time, and his OBP is 11th best all time. He's got two MVP awards, and numerous top ten finishes. For seven years, he was a better hitter than Albert Pujols is now.

Without a doubt. His career OPS is the tenth best all time, and his OBP is 11th best all time. He's got two MVP awards, and numerous top ten finishes. For seven years, he was a better hitter than Albert Pujols is now.

No he wasn't. his 1994 season, would've been better than any Pujols year, but that's it really.A few years he had a higher OBP. But Pujols Career OPS is over 1.000, his hr years are bigger than Thomas' and so is his slugging percentages aside from 1994, and that wasn't a full season.

And Pujols finished second in MVP last two years, and would've won if it wasn't for, you know, the best hitter in Baseball's last 50 years not being there. And he'll probably finish second or third this year.

I can't believe the Sox are not going to keep Magglio Ordonez, considering the White Sox are the only threat in the AL central to the Twins.

Anyone know how much the Angels are willing to spend in the free agent market?. I'm sure they will be in the Pedro sweepstakes untill the end.

If smoltz does become a starter again, look for the braves to take a stab at Troy Percival.

Here's the Phillies free agents:

Rheal Cormier, lhp

I'd like for him to stay so there's a LHP in the bullpen

Doug Glanville, of

Good God No. He's gone.

Roberto Hernandez, rhp

If there is a God, then he's gone too.

Todd Jones, rhp

Another one of Wade's great moves, I'll drive him to the airport if he leaves.

Cory Lidle, rhp

He improved in Philly, so if they can keep him for a cheap deal as the #5 starter I'm all for it.

Kevin Millwood, rhp

Goodbye Kevin, take you inconsistent pitching to a team that will overvalue you.

Eric Milton, lhp

I'd like to keep him, but the Yankees will probably overpay for him.

Placido Polanco, 2b

Gone. He'll probably want to start, but since Chase Utley is ready to play 2B now, Polanco is probably the odd man out.

Todd Pratt, c

He'll probably stay since he's a clubhouse leader.

Out of curiosity Al, if Thomas is a lock, what about Jeff Bagwell? Their career numbers are pretty similar and he's got a MVP, too. The only real glaring difference I see between them is Bagwell has had about 200 more games to put up his numbers.

Usually if you get 500 HR in your career you are assured to be in the HOF. Frank Thomas needs 64 homers for that plateau, if he hadn't got injured last yr then he would have easily reached 500 HR this year.

Guest goatfish

The Boston Red Sox free agent list

Terry Adams RHP: Gone

Pedro Astacio RHP: Probably gone, unless he would sign a minor league deal.

Ellis Burks DH: He's going to retire, and I'm estatic that he got his World Series ring.

Orlando Cabrera SS: I think he priced himself out of Boston with his postseason run. I wouldn't resign him either. There's speculation around town that Theo is going to try to sign Omar Vizquel and Barry Larkin to keep the spot warm for a couple of years until Hanley Ramirez or Dustin Pedroia is ready to come up.

Ricky Gutierrez 2B: See ya

Gabe Kapler OF: Actually hard to tell. I'm sure he wants to play fulltime, but he did take less money to stay here last year, and he seems like a great clubhouse guy. Depends on if a team overpays for him or not, but I'd keep him around. He kills lefties, and the Sox need a lefty killer off the bench. Plus he did a good job filling in for Trot Nixon while he was hurt.

Curtis Leskanic RHP (club option): I'd decline his option, but try to resign him anyway. Not asking him to be the setup man or anything, but he filled a decent role out of the pen. If there's a better option out there, go for it.

Derek Lowe RHP: Thanks Derek for ALDS game 5 against Oakland in 2003, ALDS game 3 against Anaheim, ALCS game 7 against New York, and World Series game 4 against St. Louis. Now go take your horrendous WHIP and mental problems to a team that won't score at least 5 runs a start for you.

Pedro Martinez RHP: The real question mark out of the Sox free agents. I think he likes being in Boston with Manny and Ortiz, and he knows he'll have much less pressure off of him now that the Sox have won it all. I only think he leaves if A. Boston lowballs him, or B. Steinbrenner really decides he wants him. He likes it here, and I think he stays.

Dave McCarty 1b/relief ace: He's gone, the only question is if he retires, or goes to develop his pitching with another team.

Ramiro Mendoza RHP: (throws up in mouth)

Doug Mirabelli: If the Sox don't sign Varitek, he stays. I think he likes Boston, and I think he likes knowing he'll at least get to play every five days when Wake pitches. But I believe a team will throw too much money at him, and he'll be gone.

Bill Mueller 3b (club option): The injuries are a problem, but he is truly a professional on this team. And he'll keep the seat warm for Youkilis in 2006. Easy option to pickup.

Mike Myers LHP: Sign him. Never ever under any circumstances use him against a right hander. But the guy murders lefties.

Pokey Reese 2b/ss: Depends on Cabrera's status. He's already stated that he isn't signing anywhere that he doesn't get a chance to start, and that he would like to play shortstop. If they can't get Cabrera or anybody else they want, they might look at keeping him. But he's most likely gone.

Jason Varitek C: The one guy that must be resigned. A clubhouse leader, a switch hitter, and a man that commands the respect of the pitchers, including Schilling. And there isn't as much wear and tear on his body as you might think because he did miss a year with an elbow injury (that might sound contradictory, but it was a freak elbow injury he got diving for a foul ball, he's fully recovered, and that was a whole season that he didn't spend crouching behind the plate). If Theo doesn't want him, then there's obviously something that the average fan isn't seeing, but I'd be shocked if he didn't resign. Being represented by Scott Boras isn't a good thing though.

Scott Williamson RHP: If you can get him for a minimum deal for 2 years similar to the Jon Lieber deal, go for it. If he wants one cent more than that, let him go to another team that will take the risk on a man that will most likely have two Tommy John surgeries.

Dave Roberts OF: I'd absolutely love to him back on the team, and get a reminder of what speed actually looks like. But there's no starting spot for him, so he's gone.

I keep thinking that Bellhorn is a free agent, but nowhere I've looked has said that he is. Does anybody know Mark Bellhorn's contract status? Because with his OBP, I can see a team making a strong push for him. If he's out there, I can't imagine that the Cubs won't try to get him so everyone on the team can get a look at what plate discipline actually is.

Guest Anglesault

MOTHER OF FUCK, the Yankees are looking at Eric Milton, apparently solely because he throws with his left hand.

Guest Anglesault
Holy shit. That could be the worst free agent signing of the year, if it goes down.

I can't even fathom a reason for that. I just can't. George wants a "seasoned lefty" which everyone assumed would be Johnson (obviously via trade) or Wells. But his baseball people are apparently hellbent on Milton.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

I can see Omar Vizquel as shortstop for the red sox but Barry Larkin?.

A few notes:

Cubs exercised their option on Ryan Dempster

Red exercised their option on Sean Casey

Delgado officially filed for free agency as expected

Somebody asked about Bagwell for the Hall of Fame.

Black Ink: Batting - 24 (78) (Average HOFer ~ 27)

Gray Ink: Batting - 157 (73) (Average HOFer ~ 144)

HOF Standards: Batting - 59.0 (28) (Average HOFer ~ 50)

HOF Monitor: Batting - 149.5 (75) (Likely HOFer > 100)

I'd say yes. I'm sure Al would concur.

Even though Milton has an high era, he still brings in at least 15 wins per season. He couldn't be any worse then Jeff Weaver was with the yankees. I believe David Wells will stay with the Padres for another year, and if the Yankees are going to make a serious run at beltran then they might not have enough money for Randy Johnson. Milton would be the cheaper choice.

No he wasn't. his 1994 season, would've been better than any Pujols year, but that's it really.A few years he had a higher OBP. But Pujols Career OPS is over 1.000, his hr years are bigger than Thomas' and so is his slugging percentages aside from 1994, and that wasn't a full season.

And Pujols finished second in MVP last two years, and would've won if it wasn't for, you know, the best hitter in Baseball's last 50 years not being there. And he'll probably finish second or third this year.

You can't really compare Pujols' career stats to Thomas', because Frank Thomas has spent a few years in the decline phase of his career. When Thomas was 29, his career OPS stood at 1.052, which at the time was the fourth best ever. Pujols' OPS will decline when he enters his 30s and beyond.

The key to Thomas is his OBP. Four straight years over .450 is INSANE. In fact, his career OBP is better than Pujols in any year except last.

But that's besides the point. Pujols is on a HOF level. And any player who is even comparable to him is likely at that level as well.

The Marlins revised their deal with Mike Lowell so that he'd stay for the remaing three years on the contract.

SWEET JESUS! I just checked all my Marlins site this morning so this is breaking news.

That means one other thing... HELLO STADIUM!

Guest Anglesault
Even though Milton has an high era, he still brings in at least 15 wins per season. He couldn't be any worse then Jeff Weaver was with the yankees.

When I said "fix it" I didn't mean "better than Weaver". I meant "good"

Eric Milton is not.

Milton would be the cheaper choice.

Wells made 1.2 mil this year. Milton made 9. Wells is good. Milton is not.

Jome Run Javy and Moonshot Milton on the same staff is a disaster waiting to happen.

Holy shit.  That could be the worst free agent signing of the year, if it goes down.

I can't even fathom a reason for that. I just can't. George wants a "seasoned lefty" which everyone assumed would be Johnson (obviously via trade) or Wells. But his baseball people are apparently hellbent on Milton.

Maybe I'm just missing something.

Milton has good strikeout and walk numbers. His problem was his home runs. I would imagine that balls that would usually land in the seats would instead land in the Yankees' spacious left field (and hopefully in someone's glove).

The Marlins revised their deal with Mike Lowell so that he'd stay for the remaing three years on the contract.

SWEET JESUS! I just checked all my Marlins site this morning so this is breaking news.

That means one other thing... HELLO STADIUM!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1912223

"We're still pushing hard for a stadium to open as early as possible," said Samson, who's aiming for a facility to be completed by 2007 or 2008.

The Marlins lost an estimated $20 million in 2003, despite winning the World Series for the second time in seven seasons. Their lease with Pro Player Stadium and former Marlins owner Wayne Huizenga does not allow the team any revenues from luxury box rentals or parking, and only a small piece of concession sales.

Without those streams of cash, the Marlins say they cannot survive.

Ugh. Why do sportswriters still buy this line of complete bullshit, ESPECIALLY from that scumbag Loria? Did anyone see the rings the Marlins got for winning the series? For a team that's supposively bleeding money, they sure have a budget for jewelry.

Even though Milton has an high era, he still brings in at least 15 wins per season.

The only reason that Eric Milton brings in at least 15 wins a season is because he gets a tremendous amount of run support.

2004: 6.54 runs per game (10th in MLB)

2003: -injured-

2002: 5.18 runs per game (39th in MLB)

He occasionally flashes some decent stuff (he flirted with a no-hitter this year), but he's not the ace that many would perceive him to be from looking at their record and he's certainly not a good option for the Yankees, who shouldn't be looking for a left-hander that gave up 43 home runs in 2004 when they have a short porch in right field.

Damn, i didn't know Milton made 9 million last season. I can't see him making that much with the yankees anyways. Looking at his stats he was drafted by the yankees in 1996 (1st round/20th overall). Compare that to the fact Milton is 29 while Randy Johnson is 41. I realize that Randy Johnson is one of the best, but he is making $16.0 million. I guess it comes down to either Randy Johnson or Carlos Beltran. You can only have one or the other. I bet the yanks could sign Milton for 5-6 million a year.

Red sox picked up the option on Bill Mueller.

Guest Anglesault
Milton has good strikeout and walk numbers. His problem was his home runs. I would imagine that balls that would usually land in the seats would instead land in the Yankees' spacious left field

Left field is large. I think you're still asking a bit out of it.

And a lefty who, uh...sucks against lefty batters is a disaster in Yankee Stadium.

Red sox picked up the option on Bill Mueller.

Interesting decision, with Kevin Youkilis waiting in the wings. At $2.1 million, though, it's not a bad insurance payment - perhaps they could do a platoon between the two, as Mueller absolutely torches righties (.298/.395/.466) and Youkilis has a slight split advantage towards lefties (.250/.386/.431).