TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bruiser Chong

And So it Begins

I forgot, Al, is Frank Thomas headed for Cooperstown?

Without a doubt. His career OPS is the tenth best all time, and his OBP is 11th best all time. He's got two MVP awards, and numerous top ten finishes. For seven years, he was a better hitter than Albert Pujols is now.

No he wasn't. his 1994 season, would've been better than any Pujols year, but that's it really.A few years he had a higher OBP. But Pujols Career OPS is over 1.000, his hr years are bigger than Thomas' and so is his slugging percentages aside from 1994, and that wasn't a full season.

And Pujols finished second in MVP last two years, and would've won if it wasn't for, you know, the best hitter in Baseball's last 50 years not being there. And he'll probably finish second or third this year.

You can't really compare Pujols' career stats to Thomas', because Frank Thomas has spent a few years in the decline phase of his career. When Thomas was 29, his career OPS stood at 1.052, which at the time was the fourth best ever. Pujols' OPS will decline when he enters his 30s and beyond.

The key to Thomas is his OBP. Four straight years over .450 is INSANE. In fact, his career OBP is better than Pujols in any year except last.

But that's besides the point. Pujols is on a HOF level. And any player who is even comparable to him is likely at that level as well.

Fair enough.

Guest Anglesault
. I guess it comes down to either Randy Johnson or Carlos Beltran. You can only have one or the other.

Why?

I bet the yanks could sign Milton for 5-6 million a year.
There's no reason to get Milton for the sake of getting Milton. He's simply not good enough to help this team in any meaningful way.

The Marlins revised their deal with Mike Lowell so that he'd stay for the remaing three years on the contract.

SWEET JESUS! I just checked all my Marlins site this morning so this is breaking news.

That means one other thing... HELLO STADIUM!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1912223

"We're still pushing hard for a stadium to open as early as possible," said Samson, who's aiming for a facility to be completed by 2007 or 2008.

The Marlins lost an estimated $20 million in 2003, despite winning the World Series for the second time in seven seasons. Their lease with Pro Player Stadium and former Marlins owner Wayne Huizenga does not allow the team any revenues from luxury box rentals or parking, and only a small piece of concession sales.

Without those streams of cash, the Marlins say they cannot survive.

Ugh. Why do sportswriters still buy this line of complete bullshit, ESPECIALLY from that scumbag Loria? Did anyone see the rings the Marlins got for winning the series? For a team that's supposively bleeding money, they sure have a budget for jewelry.

90% of the time, I'd agree with you, Al. I'm not sure what was up with the rings, they were just gaudy and silly. But the Marlins are honestly getting ROBBED by Huizenga. He takes nearly all of their profits. When you aren't getting money from parking and luxury boxes - there is no way you can argue that they can make a better situation for themselves. Luxury boxes are one of the major sources of revenue.

The Marlins need this stadium, because now all that is being served is the lining of Wayne Huizenga's pockets. You guys can hate on Loria all you want but I still haven't forgiven Wayne for 1998 and 1999, which were all his fault. And he still continues to hurt the franchise by taking a large portion of their revenue.

The Addition of Beltran and randy johnson will easily make the NY Yankees payroll at least 200 million. Does George really want the payroll to jump that high and will Bud Selig allow it?.

Guest Anglesault
The Addition of Beltran and randy johnson will easily make the NY Yankees payroll at least 200 million.

So be it.

Does George really want the payroll to jump that high

If he must.

will Bud Selig allow it?.

He can't stop it.

Guest Anglesault

Something I want to ask al.

This year (and notably, the playoffs where some of his moves quite literally pissed games away), Joe Torre made a bunch of strange, bizarre game decisions, moves so bad that I've never seen him make them in the eight years here.

How much of this do you think can be attributed to the change in bench coach? If so, would that be praising Zimmer or condemning Randolph?

Something I want to ask al.

This year (and notably, the playoffs where some of his moves quite literally pissed games away), Joe Torre made a bunch of strange, bizarre game decisions, moves so bad that I've never seen him make them in the eight years here.

How much of this do you think can be attributed to the change in bench coach? If so, would that be praising Zimmer or condemning Randolph?

Torre has been a manager for twenty years. I would think he would be capable of making his own decisions. Then again, when did Don Zimmer join the team? People forget that Torre had a so-so record before joining the Yankees.

However, I am not sure how much the Yankees' playoff woes are due to Torre. Much of the Yankees' success from 1996-2000 was due to Mariano Rivera's success. Two of the Yankees' last four playoff exits were due in large part to Rivera's blown saves, which no one could really prevent.

As for the bench coaches, I think its neither. You can't pass judgement on a bench coach because you don't really know his role. Does the manager trust his judgement? What kind of decisions does his advice upon? In regards to Zimmer vs. Randolph, I think Torre would tend to defer to Zim more often.

Guest Anglesault
Torre has been a manager for twenty years. I would think he would be capable of making his own decisions. Then again, when did Don Zimmer join the team? .

However, I am not sure how much the Yankees' playoff woes are due to Torre

His kind of absurd use of the bullpen in general (six or seven separate things can be mentioned. To be fair, some worked, others didn't) and his personal dislike of Kenny Lofton proved to be disasterous.

anglesault - Do you really take yankee baseball this seriously? Theyre just a sports team for people who desperately need to cheer for a winner(Unless you actually live in The City).

What kind of sad people actually want their team to have a 200 million$ payroll?

Guest Anglesault
What kind of sad people actually want their team to have a 200 million$ payroll?

WTF difference does it make?

I want the team to be good. By any means necessary.

I never want to see a season like 2004 again.

Well it appears that Brad Radke will be leaving the Twins. If Boston or another team is willing to pay 9 million a year, the Twins can't afford to match the offer. Honestly, i don't think he's worth even close to that amount. He had his best season this year. Besides 1997 when he won 20 games, he hadn't earned his 9 million dollar contract.

Looking at the free agent pool

I feel these players are the best bang for the Buck

Jeromy Burnitz 37 HR 110 RBI .283 avg (makes 1.2 million last year)

Jose Mesa 5 W 2 L 43 SV 3.25 era (Made 800,000 last year)

Marquis Grissom 22 HR 90 RBI .279 avg (Made 2.1 million last year)

J.T. Snow 12 HR 60 RBI .327 Avg ( Made 1.5 million last yr)

Armando Benitez 2 Win 2 L 47 SV 1.29 ERA (Made 3.5 million last yr)

Carl Pavano 18 W 8 L 3.00 ERA (Made 3.8 million last yr)

B.J. Surhoff 8 HR 50 RBI .309 AVG (Made 800,000 last yr)

J.T. Snow & Marquis Grissom have club options, not sure if they have been picked up by the Giants. If they have then they can be taken off the list.

I'm surpised that Atlanta only signed JD Drew for one yr.

Mets FAs:

Kris Benson - they'll overpay for him

Ricky Bottalico - gone

Vic Darensbourg - gone

Mike DeJean - gone

John Franco - somehow, he'll still stick around. Also may have mob ties (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7840061); will make Wilpon an offer he can't refuse

Richard Hidalgo - he'll be gone because they're not going to pay out the ass for him, and honestly he's not going to get it -- this year's Jeromy Burnitz

Al Leiter - mutual option, he'll stick around one more year

Pavano and Benitez will demand more on the market. The rest are older guys who had career years, and can't be counted on to repeat those performances. As a Phillies fan, trust me when I say you don't want Mesa on your team. And his stats indicate an(other) implosion is imminent.

I'm surpised that Atlanta only signed JD Drew for one yr.

They traded for him.

Guest cpac

Yankees lost the red sox series because Arod struck out with a man on third and one out in the 8th inning of game five. Yankees were up 2 runs and could have gone up 3 runs. Gordon comes into the 8th and blows it and rivera gives up the tying run. That is the turning point of the series. Yankees with a 3 run lead in the 8th inning would have been a nice cushion. Congrats to the Red Sox they won the World Series in the 8th of game five.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Jays take a stab at Jose Mesa. Toronto tried 4 pitchers for the closer role: Justin Speier, Jason Frasor, Kerry Ligtenberg and finally Miguel Batista. God our bullpen sucks.

I don't know really know who the jays could go after to replace the void left by Carlos Delgado. Troy Glaus could be signed and moved to first place but he has been injury prone over the past two years and commands about 10 million a season.

As do I.

I don't live in the City anymore, but I did for the first 10 years of my life.

So where have you lived the past 3 years?

I'm not assuming, but I think we have a good chance. Vazquez may get us Johnson, but it would probably be in a three way trade with prospects going to Arizona.

Vinny Castilla declined his option, and joins the free agency ranks.

Vinny has stated he would take a pay cut to finish his career with Colorado. So i'm sure he will be back with the rockies next year.

Shawn Estes is now a free agent.

Guest Anglesault
Why does everyone assume the Yanks will get Unit? Last I checked he was not a free agent, and the Yanks don't have enough in their system to be able to trade for him.

We can rid ourselves of Weaver 2.