TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Czech Republic

Tell this college student why I

Peer pressure sucks. Most of my friends are telling me "your a moron[sic]" and "you're evil" and things like that because I support the Republicans, as much as a 17-year-old who has to sit on the sidelines for this election due to poor timing with the 18th birthday can do so. It's no surprise, I knew I was in for this, getting chastised by college students, but I didn't expect my actual pre-college friends to turn on me. I shouldn't feel stupid about my leanings, but since there's such a glut of close people telling me I am, apparently there's something they know that I don't?

I'm just seeking validation here from the conservative brigade as to why I should be proud of my right-leaning ways.

If they're saying things like that then they're not thoughtful in their views. If you carefully consider your political views and look at both sides of the coin and decide, then you have every right to hold that view.

You shouldn't get your political views from anyone who calls the other side "evil."

Guest Salacious Crumb

Sounds like your the smart one out of the whole bunch. At least you're mature enough to accept other people's worldviews unlike these people. But don't feel the need to justify your views to another person. Your right their wrong. That's how I've always approached my views while remaining respectful of what other's believe.

When several of them grow up and actually have money they'll probably jump the fence to your way of thinking anyway.

It might just be the way you get across your point.

When you're arguing with your friends about the election, do you have an arrogant attitude about it? Do you preach the values of reelecting Bush rather than the negative qualities of Kerry? Do you at least listen to the opinion of the other person, or do you just roll your eyes and add a sarcastic comment? Do you make wide sweeping statements about the entire Democratic Party and any liberal that supports them, without taking into account the feelings of your friends when you're trying to argue with them?

In other words, despite your Conservative leanings, are you at least respectful of your liberal friends? Or are you Mike?

The main thing is: Hopefully, you at least explain to these people why you support George Bush. If you give off this feeling that you're doing it simply to be different - and to antagonize those that CAN vote and choose to vote for Kerry - then you have to be ready to face some kind of backlash.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Have you been to college NY? You only have to appear to be slightly conservative to set these people off.

I've been to college and I've been called a right wing bigot because I oppose affirmative action. The irony is I don't consider myself to be a conservative.

I wanted to add that there are good people on both sides.

For every Ann Coulter or Sean Hannity there is a George Will.

For every Al Franken or Paul Begala there is a Mark Shields.

Not every liberal is a pot-smoking hippie.

Not every conservative is a redneck with an American flag sticker on his truck.

Guest Salacious Crumb

College kids are messed up like that. If you don't conform to everything on the liberal agenda you're some [insert name here]. It's even worse if you come off as someone who's religious and not a Muslim or Buddhist, etc.

Guest Salacious Crumb
Nothing too wrong with being Young and Conservative

Yeah it's a real blast. You get to go around kicking puppies and taking candy from babies when you join young conservative groups.

Nothing too wrong with being Young and Conservative

Yeah it's a real blast. You get to go around kicking puppies and taking candy from babies when you join young conservative groups.

haha..

I didn't mean it like that.

Sometimes, I really feel that my style of handling people with opposing views (being able to listen, tell some small jokes, and not getting angry) is in a minority.

That's sorta sad. I guess

Have you been to college NY? You only have to appear to be slightly conservative to set these people off.

I'm currently in college. And that's not true.

I certainly consider myself to be an avid Kerry-supporter and, for the most part, chiefly liberal. One of my closest friends here is a passionate Bush-supporter. My roommate is also a Conservative, and spends a fair portion of his time looking at the electoral vote predictors, hoping that Bush will be able to pull out the election.

So far, I've gotten into some pretty good debates with each of them. The war on terror, stem cell research, Bush's Christian leanings, you name it. Despite the fact that I don't agree with reelecting Bush, I like that they're able to get their opinions across in a clear, respectful manner. Although I don't agree with them, I like that they're able to back up their opinions without being assholes about it, and that's all I ask.

I go to a school that can be considered to be a liberal university. There's been a few groups I've spent time with where the majority of us are liberals, with one or two conservatives thrown in. We may argue about the election and wonder why these Republicans lean the way they do, but as long as they can explain their position, they really don't face any scrutiny. If their sole reason for supporting Bush is the sweeping reason "I vote Bush because he can get those terrorists", or they choose to prove their opinion by mocking the opinions of liberals, it's possible they may get outcast.

Czech, you just need to look at what kind of Conservative you are. Most free-thinking people will be able to accept your political views as long as you can express them in the proper manner. If you don't, then you have to expect receiving these reactions from people - especially in such an overwhelmingly heated time.

Guest MikeSC

Considering the shit I've received for years, I'm supposed to be nice and friendly for what reason?

-=Mike

Guest Salacious Crumb
Most free-thinking people

As a general rule DO NOT talk to someone who describes themself as this. They'll be your worst enemy if you don't conform to their worldview.

Because if you're nice and friendly about it, people are more willing to accept your opinions without trying to shout you down.

Your major problem here is that you're an asshole to any liberal that tries to talk about the negative points of re-electing George W. Bush. This really does make people less likely to want to read your posts because, in between some of the good points you make, there's a whole bunch of garbage scattered throughout as well. It's practically impossible for any liberal to have a polite conversation with you, because you're basically screaming for the opportunity to rip them apart with insults.

I certainly hope that the way you act on TSM is NOT the way you act in real life, away from the computer. Because if it is, then I'm sure there are people that roll your eyes when it comes time for Mike to discuss politics once again.

I'm hoping Czech doesn't fall into the same trap with his friends.

As a general rule DO NOT talk to someone who describes themself as this. They'll be your worst enemy if you don't conform to their worldview.

Free-thinking as in:

"Accepts people's opinions, even if it differs from their own, as long as they back it up. They don't immediately shut themselves away from that person's thoughts, but they at least listen to what this person has to say with a clear mind."

Many people I've met so far in my university have this kind of free-thinking attitude. Even if their minds aren't changed by the person's opinion, at least they take the time to listen to what they have to say.

Guest MikeSC
Because if you're nice and friendly about it, people are more willing to accept your opinions without trying to shout you down.

That is absolute horseshit.

Your major problem here is that you're an asshole to any liberal that tries to talk about the negative points of re-electing George W. Bush.

I'm as polite as they are. I do not agree with bigolsmitty --- but since he's been polite, I've been polite. If somebody like C-Bacon posts intellectual drivel, I'll refer to it as such.

And I was nice when I first came here and still got slammed. So, why the fuck should I be nice?

Funny, I haven't seen you chastise Stranger for his ever-so-lovely comments.

This really does make people less likely to want to read your posts because, in between some of the good points you make, there's a whole bunch of garbage scattered throughout as well. It's practically impossible for any liberal to have a polite conversation with you, because you're basically screaming for the opportunity to rip them apart with insults.

Read Smitty and my thread on the Iraqi elections.

That is absolute horseshit.

From my own personal experiences, it's not. If you start throwing out wild insults to people and, instead of refuting their points politely, choose to just scream louder - you're going to be looked at as a raving lunatic AND people will just simply not want to listen to what you have to say. Why should you do your best to understand what this person is trying to get across if he chooses to hurl insults at you in the same token? There's no point.

I'm as polite as they are. I do not agree with bigolsmitty --- but since he's been polite, I've been polite. If somebody like C-Bacon posts intellectual drivel, I'll refer to it as such.

Better hope that bigolsmitty doesn't mention that he supports Michael Moore. Otherwise, it will be time for your claws to come out.

Mike, the fact is that you are very rarely polite with people. If you want to say that this is because nearly every liberal here posts intellectual drivel, so be it. But there's been numerous times where a discussion between you and I has dissolved into you just throwing out random insults and hoping one of them will stick. I've seen you do the same thing with Tyler as well.

And I was nice when I first came here and still got slammed. So, why the fuck should I be nice?

Unfortunately, I don't have a time machine to see if this is true or not. All I have is the earliest posts available - from August 9th, 2003 where you insulted Howard Dean and patronized Tyler by asking if he believes in Santa as well when he posted about Dean's health care plan.

Funny, I haven't seen you chastise Stranger for his ever-so-lovely comments.

Unfortunately, I can't be everywhere at once. I saw what Stranger posted and, no, I don't agree with many of those points. Some of it is just the typical anti-Bush garbage that some liberals like to spout. There are more reasons to dislike Bush than the invalid, tired responses that Stranger posted.

How's that?

Read Smitty and my thread on the Iraqi elections.

When it comes to discussing the elections, I dread seeing you getting ready to post anything, because, many times, it's either going to be: a) An anti-Kerry comment......b) An anti-Edwards comment......c) An insult against a Liberal poster.

Again, many times, you're actually very good at using facts to back up your opinion. But people - myself included - are just less likely to even want to read your posts and deal with you because ridiculous insults are just around the corner.

Wow, I didn't expect so much.

Here's the attitude I have when dealing with liberals. I tell them that I can see why they'd take the stand they do but this is what I believe, and why. It gets touchy when I stumble upon someone who is all "Kerry and Edwards will save the planet!" and I try to dismantle the Democratic argument only to get "well my dad lost his job because of outsourcing, you jackass" and then it's a real oops moment.

I do more than just say "I'm not stupid YOU'RE stupid," NYU, so don't worry. I think there are plenty of good Democrats out there, it's just that I feel their ideology is bad for domestic and foreign policy.

As for the "free thinkers," I get annoyed by them the most, I think. My friend, for many years a wrestling obsessive and drug "enthusiast," went off to school and as far as I can tell became a raving lunatic. I dread it when he IMs me on MSN, because he's of this format:

-Bush is the Great Satan, and the Saudis have their dicks up our asses

-Marilyn Manson is the smartest man in America and smartest musician in history

-The entire world must be educated and we should discriminate people by their education

and so forth. It's a fucking pain in the ass to have to hear about how's he's a "free thinker" but he sounds just like everyone else who claims to be just that. I try to debate with him rationally but I can't because he just resorts to this:

(8:53:32)

I M NOT WRONG

(8:53:39)

GO AHEAD DAN TELL ME I'M WRONG

(8:53:48)

GO AHEAD TELL ME NOW

(8:53:56)

THERE YOU COULDN'T I'M RIGHT

so that's when I just get fed up and make comments, but he's the most extreme of my liberal friends.

As a conservative college student I can tell you, just don't sweat it. If they're your friends, they shouldn't care if you have different political views. It likely won't come up much once this election finally ends. Otherwise, you need to stand up for what you believe in. Explain your views, bring up points they haven't thought of, etc. If they're receptive maybe you can come to a compromise on the subject. If they're being irrational, whatever, just ignore them, it's not worth arguing with crazies. I was yelled at by a bunch of lunatics in Kerry-Edwards shirts about how I'm going to be drafted to Iraq and come hom in a bodybag. There's no sense arguing, just laugh at them and walk on like I did. Otherwise, realize that you live in a bubble. The whole world doesn't think like young people do, academia does and at least in my case the East Coast, all 3 traditionally liberal. I'd reccomend when you go to college to seek out a College Republicans group on campus and get involved. It's a great way to meet like minded people and get involved in and support candidates and issues you believe in.

Free-thinking as in:

"Accepts people's opinions, even if it differs from their own, as long as they back it up. They don't immediately shut themselves away from that person's thoughts, but they at least listen to what this person has to say with a clear mind."

Many people I've met so far in my university have this kind of free-thinking attitude. Even if their minds aren't changed by the person's opinion, at least they take the time to listen to what they have to say.

Man, either you're attending some sort of really different university than I've ever seen, or you're just really, really naive.

I'm with Mad Dog - if someone describes themselves as a "free-thinker", run the hell away from them. Ideological persecution is quick to follow if you don't.

Guest Salacious Crumb

NY,

No offense but you don't understand. Only the conversatives that went to college understand the kind of shit people give you in college over your views. A lot of people claim to be open minded but they aren't. Their open minded as long as someone completely agrees with their worldview. College is a completely different experience at times if you aren't liberal.

I've never made an issue of my religious beliefs, don't really bring them up. You wouldn't believe the amount of shit I take from people over being religious when I hardly mention it.

Being a conservative in Canada sucks.

There's so much negative energy about America and American politics and it's hard to debate anyone since they have this far left idelogical view that doesn't work in America and they don't understand that.

When people find out I'm voting for Bush I get a lot of dirty looks, a lot of why's and people just not understanding that yes- there are people who like him.

Guest MikeSC
NY,

No offense but you don't understand. Only the conversatives that went to college understand the kind of shit people give you in college over your views. A lot of people claim to be open minded but they aren't. Their open minded as long as someone completely agrees with their worldview. College is a completely different experience at times if you aren't liberal.

I've never made an issue of my religious beliefs, don't really bring them up. You wouldn't believe the amount of shit I take from people over being religious when I hardly mention it.

Indeed. There has been a double standard, for DECADES, for conservatives on campuses as opposed to liberals. Heck, U. of S. Carolina was comparatively conservative, but if you uttered a conservative phrase --- such as "Clinton isn't that great a President" and the shitstorm never stopped.

Liberals don't understand.

-=Mike