TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angel_Grace_Blue

Album skits

I was thinking about skits on albums. Might just be me, but I've only encountered them on rap albums, but that's not really the point of the thread.

As the subtitle says, what are some of your personal favorites, ones you hate, whatever.

I like Ice T's "Black & Decker" partly for the last lines "Probably sound a lot like that." The drilling sound made me a bit uncomfortable first time I heard it, though.

E-40's "Mustard and Mayonnaise" is awesome just for the slang, but his kid is great. "Mustard and man-daise?"

David Banner's "Whoremonger" is interesting, if only for him getting so angry that he can't speak at the end.

Perhaps I'll recall some more at a later time, but that seems to be it for now.

I'm with Lushus. I see anything of the sort as unnecessary filler and a waste of time, although if it actually involves the band, I don't know, playing music, I don't mind it. I never bother with them if I can help it.

Guest theanswer1824

the first skit on wu tang's 36 chambers aka killa tape skit:

'first of all meth, where's my killa tape at?'

'i dunno son. n*ggas came through with 40's and blunts'

'so what? that has nothing to do with my shit,'

and also:

'is he dead?'

'what the fuck do you mean 'is he dead' god!? n*gga is layin there like a fucking new born baby!'

classic skit if you've heard it.

'is he dead?'

'what the fuck do you mean 'is he dead' god!? n*gga is layin there like a fucking new born baby!'

Yeah, that's my favorite. The $20 Sack Pyramid on The Chronic is a close second, and the record store bits from Outkast's Aquemini are wonderful too. In moderation, I think skits can be great.

I hate skits, interludes, minute long nonsense tracks rock/metal bands throw on the albums, i hate them all and always skip them...

Ever notice how a lot of metal bands (mostly power, but I've seen some doom and black metal bands do it as well) will put a 1-2 minute instrumental as the first track of their CD and then lead that into the first actual song that's on track 2?

I almost always skip right to track 2

I'm not sure how that trend started, though the earliest signs I've seen point to Helloween

Guest cpac

My favorite one is Chris Tucker and Michael Jackson on Jackson's last albulm. Tucker is talking about some hot girl in the club or something and Jackson goes "SHE IS BANGIN" absolutely priceless.

Well, I generally don't like them either, although I thought it was ok on Aquemini, but that's such a good album... I don't know, I'm probably a bit more forgiving. The Pimp Trick Gangsta Clique stuff isn't too bad.

The best, however, is the intro to Amerikkka's Most Wanted, with the single greatest soundbite ever: "Fuck all ya'll". Actually nothing on that album was too bad either.

I hate skits, interludes, minute long nonsense tracks rock/metal bands throw on the albums, i hate them all and always skip them...

Ever notice how a lot of metal bands (mostly power, but I've seen some doom and black metal bands do it as well) will put a 1-2 minute instrumental as the first track of their CD and then lead that into the first actual song that's on track 2?

I'm not sure how that trend started, though the earliest signs I've seen point to Helloween

On Megadeth's "So Far, So Good, So What!", the first track, Into The Lungs Of Hell, is an instrumental, and it's fuckin awesome, leading into "Set The Wrld Afire", another fuckin' awesome song.

They're not all bad.

Yeah, but 'Afire' is more than 2:00 long; it's a fucking tour de force in itself, not some little 'hip sound effects' fade-in intro.

Guest Anticrombie
On Megadeth's "So Far, So Good, So What!", the first track, Into The Lungs Of Hell, is an instrumental, and it's fuckin awesome, leading into "Set The Wrld Afire", another fuckin' awesome song.

They're not all bad.

Difference is that "Into The Lungs Of Hell" is a full length track.

I think the trend may have started with Judas Priest: "Prelude" before "Tyrant" on Sad Wings Of Destiny, "The Hellion" before "Electric Eye" on Screaming For Vengeance, and "Battle Hymn" before "One Shot At Glory" on Painkiller

I like the instrumentals enough not to skip them (I mean they lead in to the next song anyways, so who cares), but I concur with the sentiment that they probably don't need to be seperate tracks.

Tool does it all the time too, but it doesn't bother me.

Kanye West's rants about the education system 'oh I've got my degrees' etc are very one dimensional and just crap, really. That would be an example of my least favourite kind of 'skits'. I'm not a big fan in general. Can't think of one I like immediately.

I think the trend may have started with Judas Priest: "Prelude" before "Tyrant" on Sad Wings Of Destiny, "The Hellion" before "Electric Eye" on Screaming For Vengeance, and "Battle Hymn" before "One Shot At Glory" on Painkiller

"Prelude" and "Battle Hymn" aren't the first track on their respective album though. "Hellion" I will grant, although it and "Electric Eye" are practically considered one song anyway (just listen to their live CDs), whereas you never hear a lot of those lead-in songs when the true first songs of a CD are performed live.

Helloween popped in my head because of the two Seven Keys albums from '86-'87, which had 2-minute long orchestral type instrumentals leading into the first songs ("I'm Alive" and "Eagle Fly Free", resp.) and the concept has been used by many power metal bands since then.

On another note, the strangest intro I've ever heard on a metal CD has to be the beginning of "Warlord" on Manowar's Into Glory Ride

That "Mickey" skit on DMX's album

"Jimmy Hats" on Ice Cube Death Certificate

"Ja Rule's Greatest Hits and duets with pop singers" off the G-Unit mixtapes

"Ja Rule even decided to sing along to his own song (Put it on me plays in the background) Ja: Thats meeeeee!!!!!!!!! Yeah uh

Guest Agent of Oblivion

This thread belongs to Agoraphobic Nosebleed.

One of the more creative ones I've ever heard is the description of the symptoms of all the members of the band on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 1, since the entire group had the flu that show.

'is he dead?'

Yeah, that's my favorite. The $20 Sack Pyramid on The Chronic is a close second, and the record store bits from Outkast's Aquemini are wonderful too. In moderation, I think skits can be great.

Those are all good, but my favourite is still the skit before "M-E-T-H-O-D Man" on Enter the Wu-Tang.

"I fuckin' sew your asshole shut and keep feedin' you, and feedin' you, and feedin' you."

I'm not sure of the guy's name, but this rapper had a ongoing skit on his album about going to "Hip Hop College". His white roommate was hysterical. "Yeah, I got Freestyling 101 at 10" etc. etc. etc.

EDIT: I've just been informed the guy's name was Masta Ace.

there is one that pops in my mind right now but fuck if i can remember where it is from...

All I know is that it is from a rap album (i think) and involves whomever going to get Chinese food and pissing the clerk off so bad that he grabs a gun and shoots up the place.

Can anybody help me with that?

Yeah, but 'Afire' is more than 2:00 long; it's a fucking tour de force in itself, not some little 'hip sound effects' fade-in intro.

whoops misread what he was saying

when he said it megadeth just came to mind because so far, so good, so what, is such a wicked cd, especially the remaster

everyone on this board should hear it ..

SERIOUSLY