TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Pundits you love/hate

Love:

First and formost: Michael Medved. Very smart man, makes his points well, the only show where I feel educated after listening to. Has actually made me change some political views.

Bill O'Reilly: He is a conservative. Let's get that out of the way. But I think he's a conservative in the same way that Rather's a liberal. He's probably a bona fide asshole, but his show is pretty good.

Jon Stewart: He IS a pundit. he's also very funny, at least his show is. Generally trashes politicians well. Like they need trashing.

Chris Matthews: Don't know how he got the liberal label, I love this guy. Of course, it's easier to rip everone apart than to espouse their views, but I think he does it very well. I will DUEL him.

Honorable mention: Rush. I think the guy's a genius. I actually don't think he believes what he says (especially based on his voting reccord) but the guy certainly cornered a market, and his grandiose style always cracks me up. He is the HHH of radio.

Hate:

Michael Savage: This guy actually has some good things to say on the Middle East situation, but he's a blatant homophobe and, I suspect, a racist. Gives lots of coded messages. 'you should only get AIDS and die' indeed.

Ann Coulter: What a bitch. She's actually cracked me up a couple of times, but her basic argument of republicans=handsome/pretty people with balls the size of grapefurits and Dems=ugly fey people is SO fucking offensive. Fuck her.

Last and certainly least Ted Rall. Fuck him. He makes the Dem party look SO bad, not that they need much help nowadays. What a snivelling, arrogant bastard. Fuck him Fuck him Fuck him.

Christ, I have too many people to name. I'll just go with who you said and then a few that pop into my mind, too.

EDIT: Oh, and in order to halt any possible flame wars, just comment on what you think of these people, don't bitch to other posters because you don't like what they say about Rush, O'Reilly, etc.

Michael Medved. Not bad. He's not in my market, but he's ok in my book. If it weren't for the fact he was a Jew he'd be a Conservative Brigade member already.

Bill O'Reilly: I like him, although I usually turn the channel whenever he talks about morality (even before the lawsuit) or some story du jour like Laci Peterson. I don't label him a conservative, but I'm sure he does vote Republican in many instances. I love it when he has a Ralph Nader or Robert Reich on moreso than when Newt or John Kasich is on. Oh, and his radio show is AWFUL -- I wish KDKA would pick up Boortz instead of Bill when Rush jumps stations in Pittsburgh.

Jon Stewart: He's so-so. I used to laugh at him and the Daily Show years ago, but now I'm just "eh." My favorite moment came on Hannity and Colmes when Alan said "well be right back" and said something like "the network for fair and balanced news" and you could hear Stewart in the background laugh and say "they still make you guys say that?"

Chris Matthews: Chris is a lefty -- he's worked for some hippie Dem back in the day. But he's ok, I guess. There are times when he gets his lefty panties in a bunch, but otherwise he seems to try to be fair for the most part. I don't watch him and don't really care about him so I can't comment.

Rush: I love him. I can honestly say he changed my life, and not in a political way. One thing that always gets overlooked is his sense of humor. I find myself turning him off whenever he really gets on a Republicans-are-great-Democrats-are-bad rant, but he'll always be the Godfather in my book. I still have on tape the time I called into his show back in '95.

Michael Savage: I don't care what people say about him, I find his show entertaining as hell. Problem is I don't listen to it much becuase he's on in the evening in the East. Plus he has the best top-of-the-hour bumper music.

Ann Coulter: A lot of times I'll change the channel when she's on, but her over-the-top style can be funny at times.

Ted Rall: He's some dopey liberal who I don't care about. Let him say his pseudo-hippie nonsense, and then we can all point and laugh at him...

Here are some new entries:

Neal Boortz: Awesome show. He's a total ass and it's funny as hell. It's too bad he'll be off the Pittsburgh market 10 days from now. :(

Glenn Beck: Sometimes his off-politics topics and skits are dumb, but when they're on they're ON.

Tim Russert: Probably the only Big Media journalist I like. He's a lefty at heart, but he's fair when he does his job, which is what a journalist of that type is supposed to be.

Dennis Miller: Feels weird watching him now and remembering his schtick from back in the day. I try to watch his show every now and then, and judging from the ratings I suspect I'm probably the only one.

EDIT: Instead of creating more posts, I'll just update this list whenever new names are added to this thread:

Laura Ingraham: Don't really care about her. Recites talking points and thinks that because she has a cootch people take her seriously. Just another blonde who will be forgotten once her tits start to sag.

Hannity and Colmes: I don't watch their TV show that often, but I do listen to Hannity's radio show. He's like the anti-Rush in the sense he has a buttload of guests. I like Alan for a liberal because he'll buck his party's line of thought at times and has a sense of humor. I remember one time on the TV show they showed a clip of some kid beating the snot of another kid on a school bus and Hannity was in his usual rabid dog mode and said Alan would try to "understand" the bully. Alan just rolled his eyes and said "I'd make sure my kid has a good lawyer." Perfect counter to Hannity and I laughed for a few minutes afterward.

Al Franken: I don't care for him, but he is good at what he does. You got to respect that. Never heard him on Hot Air America so I can't comment on him doing the radio thing. Does he still call his show the O'Franken Factor?

Keith Olbermann: I liked him on ESPN, and I always thought a show featuring him talking current events, even though he's a commie, would be entertaining. I was wrong. But he's on MSNBC, so that really doesn't count as a real show anyway.

Michael Moore: Do I really need to say anything? Well, OK. I thought he made some decent points back in the day, but I don't like the "surprise let's talk to the 90-year-old security guard about why his company is moving jobs to Mexico." Oh, and he's fat.

Bill Maher: I felt he got the shaft on PI for that comment he made, and I used to like him more but time has made me more indifferent. It's odd because him and Dennis Miller kinda shifted roles over the years. The only time I saw his HBO show was when Mikey called himself an independent.

Crossfire Boys: Begala is a shithead who will defend the Clintons until he dies. Carville is entertaining and won't be afraid to admit when his party gets beat. I think if his wife would ever smile her face would shatter. Tucker is there, and I like Novak because he's a grumpy old man. During one segment about universal health care he said something like "We shouldn't subsidize the losers in life." Stunned silence all around. I laughed.

Dick Morris: He has some interesting things to say, and I do listen to him because he was "there" in regards to political strategy and such. Problem is when he touts the one time he's right, he forgets about the 10 other predictions prior he was totally off-base on.

Michele Malkin: I don't really follow her, but she seems to try and be well-mannered. All I know is that I want to pump her full of man-fat...

Neal Boortz: Don't know him.

Glenn Beck: Eh, only heard him a couple of times. Wasn't in to it.

Tim Russert: Seems like a good guy. I'm with KKK on this.

Dennis Miller: Punk bitch sell out. How he got where he is from where he came from confuses the shit out of me. The HBO show was awesome stuff back in the day. Now I don't know who he is anymore.

Michael Medved: Douche Bag. He is a nobody.

Bill O'Reilly: Hate his fucking guts. What he did to that kid whose father died during 9-11 was unforgivable. Still I am compelled beyond my comprehention to watch. Sort of like passing a car wreck.

Jon Stewart: Funny stuff from the Daily Show. Wish I could catch it more often.

Chris Matthews: Took me awhile to figure him out. Yeah he leans left but at first he seemed really conservative to me when I first saw his show. He is good at yelling. I fear his haircut.

Rush: He has a great show. Yes, his humor is very underrated as I have often listened to his show over the years and had my fair share of laughs. Good for him losing the weight so the meatshits can have one less thing to jab at him about. The drugs scandal thing should just go away.

Michael Savage: Asshole. Amusing asshole. Racist, homophobe and from what I heard today ( A Patriot Act) to sum it up he is a "Gay homophobe and a Nazi Jew". Thats right folks good old Weiner is gay, jewish and hates both of those things about himself and others. Do your own research. Or just read his first book.

Ann Coulter: Ugliest neck in all humanity. Looks strung out on coke. Too bad wouldn't be bad looking otherwise. As far as her opinion on things? Just needs a muzzle. She needs to shut the fuck up.

Ted Rall: Who?

Laura Ingraham: Reaaly REALLY needs to get laid. Listen to her and Savage on my way to my 3rd shift zombie job. Unconvincing arguements that even GreatOne could counter. I will offer my services to straighten out that lack of sex problem.

Hannity and Colmes: Both of them suck. Moreso Colmes cuz you know who the catcher is and who the pitcher is.

Wolfie and the rest of CNN: I hate CNN. Boring boring boring.

Hannity and Colmes: Both of them suck. Moreso Colmes cuz you know who the catcher is and who the pitcher is.

Funny, I can never hear of them anymore without thinking of them as Hannity and Colmes.

Funny, I can never hear of them anymore without thinking of them as Hannity and Colmes.

I'm sorry to hear that Al Franken's joke is that ingrained in your head. Do you want therapy? We can get you therapy. Nobody should be haunted by the political pseudo-humor of Al Franken. And we can help.

Yeah, it's peppered all throughout Lies And The Lying Liars That Lie About Lying Because They Like To Lie About Who They Lie To About Lying or whatever that book was called.

Not that I bought it. I read it in Barnes & Noble and put it back when I was done.

Guest MikeSC

OK, who I hate:

Al Franken --- An untalented, unfunny turd of a comedian who has definitely proven that anger and rage ain't funny. You can throw in all of Air America, as nobody on that network has a clue to entertain a soul outside of the far left echo chamber.

Keith Olbermann --- He was a douche on ESPN. He's a douche trying to play the role of analyst. Why anybody gave this dribbling vagina a job is lost on me.

Michael Moore --- Obviously.

Bill Maher --- His last show this season is supposed to have, if memory serves, Noam Chomsky and Greg Palast (or some other whackjob). He was NEVER funny. Ever. The most useless person out there. When ABC turfed him was a good day for broadcast TV.

Jon Stewart --- Steven Colbert (who is every inch as liberal, mind you) carries the show. A guy who was once funny, but has since decided to become the water boy for the Democratic Party. Watching how clearly unhappy he was when Kerry lost was one of the greatest joys out there.

Sean Hannity --- Sorry, doesn't do one damned little thing for me. Gives exceptionally shallow analysis and repeats the same tired cliches ad infinitum. He gets good guests and that it usually the only reason to watch or listen to his shows.

Bill O'Reilly --- I've never seen anybody who is such a jock sniffer of journalists. I was shocked he avoided asking Bob Woodward for a hug during one of his performances.

Chris Matthews --- Ugh. Just ugh. And, uh, working for Tip O'Neill for years is why he got the liberal label.

Michael Savage --- Fortunately, he's now on a radio station where, unless you live next door to the station, you can't even pick up after 6P. Utterly unenlightening (he has how many post-graduate degrees? How?) and boring.

-=Mike

Guest thebigjig

like: Russert, Mathews, Oberman

hate: Coulter, Limbaugh, Hannity, Begalla, Novak

like but don't take seriously: Franken

Either way, I think pundits with agendas do nothing but erode the discourse. Sean Hannity and Al Franken for example: Their job each morning is to get up and trash the opposition with no balance or objectivity what so ever. They're cheerleaders for their respective parties and if their opposition chose Jesus Christ to run against their guy, they'd paint Jesus out every morning to be a commie/neo-conservative just because they're paid to do so.

Normally this wouldn't bug me, but I think with the rise of O'Reilly, more and more people make up their minds based on what comes out of the pundits mouths

Nah, I very first mentioned that was from his book the time I posted an entire chapter from his book by typing it all in by hand.

Anyway...

Rush: Dad watched his TV show when I was a kid. I was interested in politics enough that I thought voting was neat and cool but I didn't really know anything about the issues and was naive enough that I didn't know why anyone couldn't like the President. Rush was where I learned that people have reasons to complain about the President. It was okay stuff, but I was a kid so what can I say? I stopped watching it when Mom blew up about it and made Dad go watch it in the bedroom. Dad stopped caring about Rush when his TV timeslot moved even later. Oh, and I remember the $1 ribbons.

Mikey "Fatty" McFatFats: I loved TV Nation. Watched BFC and while there was a few things that made me want to applaud for being brought to light (like that the media will tell you something to be afraid of 10x more than they'll tell you something to be happy about), I started smelling bullshit somewhere around the McDonald-Douglas segment and had to resist turning it off when we got to the woman working at Regis' restaurant. Already talked about F9/11 enough. HATE his books after reading two, and would love to enjoy his movies if only he wouldn't keep adding so much conspiracy bullshit that causes people to ignore the rest of the movie.

Al Franken: Hated him on SNL. Love his books. Find his radio show amateurish and 1 or 2 hours too long for the amount of content he has, resulting in a lot of filler.

Sean Hannity: Listened to his radio show a few times. I refuse to watch H&C no matter who's on. About as far right as Ann Coulter, but takes himself seriously.

Paul Begala: Entertaining on Crossfire, although I've watched him defend too many positions that I coudln't defend, and I think maybe he doesn't even want to defend, so he's clearly a party shill. My favorite Begala one-liner comes from a report on Bush speaking in front of the troops: "About 30 years late, President Bush FINALLY showed up with the National Guard today."

Larry Elder: Listened a few times. Didn't know what to make of him, but I enjoyed listening to the show anyway.

Bill O'Reilly: By what I've found on the web, Bill is 6'4, and I had no idea they stacked bullshit that high. Wraps conservative opinions in claims of impartiality, spins more than many guests in his own no-spin zone, and worst interview style ever. "SHUT UP, CUT HIS MIKE."

Randi Rhodes: Another Hall of Shamer for the same interview style as O'Reilly.

Mike Malloy: My favorite of the left-wing radio hosts. Yes, he's nowhere near center. Yes, he's very opinionated. But he's also really knowledgable and doesn't drown out other people by yelling or playing sound effects of toilets flushing or cutting mics.

Ann Coulter: Ugly as hell, makes the Olsen girl who went into rehab look like Yokozuna. If I feel like having a good cry, I think about the people who take Coulter at her word. Probably about as far to the right as Hannity, she spits out heavy statements that are probably meant to shock and horrify even if, deep down, her own opinion is really a bit more subdued. Bill Clinton isn't in office anymore, so she no longer can work to direct as much negative traffic onto him as possible, so she's made a niche by calling liberals vampire bats from hell who are here to give the country to Satan.

Michael "Savage" Weiner: Slime. Why isn't this guy stuck on a public radio station in Mississippi? Was actually very entertaining back when you knew that the things he was saying was so batshit insane that nobody could believe it. This was back where everything he ever talked about was a life or death battle that could result in America being taken over by the Chinese. Now that he villifies gays like crazy and treats even the most modest Democrat as some kind of communist, it's a lot harder to like him because you get the feeling this isn't just about entertainment for him anymore. His books are like he asked someone to write down everything he said on a few radio programs and then sent it to a publisher.

Carville/Matalin: Most entertaining when they're disagreeing with each other. I almost never see Matalin alone other than fundraising events and Carville is a lot crazier and almost unintelligible without Matalin to bounce things off of.

Robert Novak: HALLO WELCOME TO CROSHFIRE, I AM ROBERT NOVAK AND I SHOUND LIKE ELMER FUDD WENT TO A BEER BUSHT AND GOT SHLOSHED. I know that's not entirely fair to the guy, but it certainly contributes to why he's a better communicator in the newspaper than he is on TV. Still a smart guy who does seem to correctly understand the Democrats even if he intentionally smears them during his partisan delivery. Novak + Carville + Debate show = Completely unintelligible dialogue.

Chris Matthews: I AM CHRIS MATTHEWS LET'S PLAY HARDBALL, AND I TALK LOUDER THAN NOVAK AND THIS IS JUST MY REGULAR SPEAKING! Been aware of the guy since he was in the McLaughlin Group. I like him although I thought in the 2000 elections he was acting like a huge Republican until I saw Republicans complaining about him months later. Mostly plays it down the middle, gets points for making people answer yes and no questions with a yes or no, will talk over someone but doesn't humiliate them or cut their mic.

Guest thebigjig

Throw Randi Rhoads in there with my hate list - Fucking annoying bitch that does nothing but ramble incoherently... the liberal version of Anne Coulter

I stopped watching it when Mom blew up about it and made Dad go watch it in the bedroom. Dad stopped caring about Rush when his TV timeslot moved even later.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at your house back then...

OK, who I hate:

Al Franken

Keith Olbermann

Michael Moore

Bill Maher

Jon Stewart

Sean Hannity

Bill O'Reilly

Chris Matthews

Michael Savage

Al Franken needs to shut the fuck up. My dad used to listen to his Air America show just to get himself riled up for the day. Well he did until Chicago's affiliate took them off the air. Ha. (He also listened to VCY broadcasts for amusement.) I agree with you on Franken's uselessness.

Olbermann should've stayed on Sportscenter. You're not going to gain legitimate credibility if you're a Sportscenter guy. Agree.

Michael Moore is fat. Agree.

I used to like Politically Incorrect because it was interesting to see Frank Zappa's sons talking politics with actual analysts, but I never cared for Bill Maher.

Jon Stewart has no value whatsoever as a legitimate analyst. His job is to make fun of BOTH sides, not coddle the left on your PARODY of a newscast. When he's doing his job, he's hilarious. But I don't want his beliefs seeping into the Daily Show, because then it ceases to be funny and just becomes a liberal circle-jerk.

I don't mind Sean Hannity.

I wish I could like Bill O'Reilly but he's starting to creep me out a little now.

Chris Matthews yells too much for me to care what he has to say.

I've never heard Michael Savage before.

Oh, while we're on the subject, Rush played his show's theme song in full after the election because it dealt with Ohio. I so want to get that song now -- ironically, it's a hippie anti-development protest song about this chick leaving her hometown and returning years later to find it all developed...

I pretty much hate every pundit out there. The most tolerable on the radio are Medved, and Rush who's show is pretty much all comedy. For print I like Charles Krauthammer, and Jonah Goldberg. Tim Russert does a good job, and you can't help but laugh at all of Carville crazy southern sayings.

Michael Savage is one of those guys, that you laugh WITH the first few times you hear him, until you realize most of his schtick isn't a joke, and it is really how he feels. I actually found him much more entertaining five or so years ago, before the "war on terrorism" because there was a lot more to his show. Now it is basically 3 hours of "language borders culture" "islamo-facism" blah blah "I told you so, I told you so"

Ann Coulter is one of the few people I can say that I haven't ever agreed with a word that came out of their mouth, but she is so extreme right on every single issue possible that she reverts from crazy to hilarious, and ALMOST back to crazy again, but not just yet.

HannityNo debate skills whatsoever. He just throws out a one-liner, repeats it adnaseum, and then gives the guest about 5 seconds to give a well thought our answer. He does seem a little more civilized on the radio though.

Mike MalloyVery opinionated leftist. Entertaining. One of the only reasons to listen to air america.

Bernie Ward/Ray Talufero These two have seperate shows, but they are both on in San Francisco, and are similar in belief and style, so I just put them together. The left will love them, the right will despise them. Ray Talufero does "chapel chats" on tuesday evenings in which he basically only takes calls from angry christians that tell him he is going to burn in hell.

Larry Elder He was better back when he was actually a libertarian, as opposed to now when he switched to Republican. I like his style though.

Phil Donahue I don't give a shit what his ratings were, he was one of the few pundits that was actually interested in conversation and debate, and not 10 second one liners. He also had the balls to support the Green Party publicly.

Bill Maher He got a raw deal from ABC and was replaced by gawd awful Jimmy Kimmel of all people. His new show on HBO is better then PI though because it is one full hour without commercials, and of course it is unedited. I don't like the fact that his panel has been overloaded by the left though, however now he only has three guests, so it will be always be 2-1 no matter what.(Not counting Maher) Maher will at least step in though when he thinks the crowd or panel members are getting out of line and trying to gang up. Oh the "New Rules" are hilarious.

Guest Anglesault
Oh the "New Rules" are hilarious.

I caught the end of his show once, and that was funny, right up until he finished it with a crepy anti-prison rant.

Guest MikeSC
Oh, while we're on the subject, Rush played his show's theme song in full after the election because it dealt with Ohio. I so want to get that song now -- ironically, it's a hippie anti-development protest song about this chick leaving her hometown and returning years later to find it all developed...

"My City Was Gone" by the Pretenders. My ex-fiancee had me listen to it roughly a thousand times, so I actually hear it in my sleep occasionally. Not a bad song --- but yes, it's REAL loopy left.

-=Mike

...I always wondered why he picked it (outside of having a cool opening) until he explained it...

Guest MikeSC
Don't leave us in suspense, Mike. What did he say?

Because it was a hippie, environmentalist song.

-=Mike

Guest Olympic Slam

Love:

Michael Savage - My hero. A REAL conservative who is funny, entertaining, brillaint, insightful and nothing like Hannity and Rush (aka the shoe shine boys of the GOP). Without a doubt the most original and enlightening person I've found in talk radio.

Ann Coulter - The fact that she offends and pisses off the liberals so much is reason enough to love her.

Glenn Beck - Bastards at KNEW in San Francisco replaced him last week! Now I have to go without Moron Trivia on Fridays!!! Oh well, it was nice while it lasted even though I rarely listened to him for news/politics.

Laura Ingraham - If only she were younger and cuter.......

Dick Morris - His predictions are always wrong and he's pure slime when it comes to the dirty sides of politics. Yet he's my favorite source for pure, Washington politics.

Michele Malkin - She doesn't look as brillaint and vicious as she really is. Makes Ann Coulter look like a socialist

Bill O'Reilly - He's starting to bug me with his phony "play it down the middle" approach. But I watch his show every weekday during dinner. Insightful news analysis program. His radio show however is AWFUL.

Alex Jones - I know I know.......but he re-affirms a certain side of me that just can't be buried.

Hate:

I don't hate anybody. There are some people who annoy me (that nasally Randi Rhodes for one) but I am not a hateful person. Save it for the terrorists.

Sean Hannity is defintily your grade A Rebpublican flag waver, not that there's anything wrogn with that. His radio and TV show is great if you're a Republican and agree with most of his views, just don't go looking for objective insight and analysis

Bill O'Reilly is an interesting guy. I think he's unfairly trahsed a lot of the time, and while he does have his flaws, he's really good at exposing most of his guests as the frauds they all are

Bill Maher is probobly the only liberal I can tolerate. His late show was horrid, but his 50 appearences every month on the late night talk shows are fairly entertaining, even if I don't agree with him

Michale More isn't even worth the effort to describe him. Scumbag all the way

Al Franken is that guy at parties who laughs at his own jokes, even when most of them aren't even funny. His last book is 200+ pages of mud slinging which he presents as facts, but hides under the veneer of satire when questioned. His book had no central point other then "Republicans are evil, and I hate Bill O'Reilly"

Michael Savage is just so completely over the top that you can't help but listen to his radio show and read his books just to se what he'll say next. Defenitly a guilty pleasure.

Glenn Beck - Bastards at KNEW in San Francisco replaced him last week! Now I have to go without Moron Trivia on Fridays!!! Oh well, it was nice while it lasted even though I rarely listened to him for news/politics.

I never really cared for Moron Trivia (I don't like that type of radio where you ambush people like that), but one thing that always gets a laugh out of me is that they make fun of these "stupid" people, yet Beck and company always seem to mess up their answers and in the end they look worse than the callers they mock...

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at your house back then...

Mom used to watch it at first but then...

Mom: He's on at the same time as Letterman and I just can't stand the guy. Please, go watch this in your room.

Dad: Alright.

(The next week)

TV (approximate): San Francisco's #1 pot-smoking tree-hugger commie station is joining the rush! Rush Limbaugh at a NEW 2AM time! Same arrogance, now shoved away so you don't have to see it.

Dad: Fuck this shit, I'm getting some sleep.

Lazarus, come forth. I was looking for another thread, but found this one interesting.

I basically hate any pundit that assumes the readers/viewers/listeners agree with them right off of the bat, and thinks their only job is to give their side continued ammo o keep thinking the same things. Molly Ivins, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, and Michelle Malkin all fit into this category. Also, name-calling is a sign of pure partisan hackery.

I'd never heard of Glenn Beck before the local "comedy" (which is steadily going downhill) station dropped the last two months of Phil Hendrie in favor of his show. After listening to 15 minutes of that shite, I wish I'd never heard of him