TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Pundits you love/hate

Dammit, making me have to get up and actually research facts, grumble grumble.

The scarf in question:

080528-ad-rachael-hmed-12p.hmedium.jpg

For comparison, some bonafide keffiyehs:

turban_arafat.jpgkaffiyeh_0.jpg

50643a.jpg

Jook.jpg

I dunno. Ray's looks more like a paisley floral pattern, and doesn't have the sort of regular symmetric checkerboard style that the real deal uses. The fringe looks different too, longer and shaggier. Plus the orthodox method for a muslim to wear it is over their head, while hers is standard European style around the throat. I don't think there's much of a resemblence, other than "strip of cloth, two colors, simple geometric pattern, maybe fringe, worn on/near head".

it IS as political a statement as a Che Guevera shirt. And it means about as much.

Che Guevara shirts mean little more than "I, the wearer, am stupid as hell and totally oblivious to irony."

Really, reading any sort of pernicious motives into contemporary fashion is pretty dumb because contemporary fashion people are, on the whole, totally self-absorbed and utterly ignorant when it comes to world events. Most people who wear keffiyehs wear them because they think they make them look cool and transgressive, not because they support Noble Palestine's struggle against the Imperialist Apartheid of Israel.

Hillary didn't really win the popular vote, because Michigan's votes don't count.

Uh, last I heard they were being seated with half a vote each.

Also, the comparison between the Democratic nomination system and the electoral college is not an accurate comparison either, because one is based on proportional representation and one is winner-take-all.

Do we REALLY need to get back into the absolute chaos of the caucuses.

I dunno. Ray's looks more like a paisley floral pattern, and doesn't have the sort of regular symmetric checkerboard style that the real deal uses. The fringe looks different too, longer and shaggier. Plus the orthodox method for a muslim to wear it is over their head, while hers is standard European style around the throat. I don't think there's much of a resemblence, other than "strip of cloth, two colors, simple geometric pattern, maybe fringe, worn on/near head".

I don't disagree with you. I just think the intent was a little too blatant, and *that* was what offended me, not the actual appearance.

Che Guevara shirts mean little more than "I, the wearer, am stupid as hell and totally oblivious to irony."

Really, reading any sort of pernicious motives into contemporary fashion is pretty dumb because contemporary fashion people are, on the whole, totally self-absorbed and utterly ignorant when it comes to world events. Most people who wear keffiyehs wear them because they think they make them look cool and transgressive, not because they support Noble Palestine's struggle against the Imperialist Apartheid of Israel.

Not one word there I have a problem with.

Hillary didn't really win the popular vote, because Michigan's votes don't count.

Uh, last I heard they were being seated with half a vote each.

The delegates are being seated with half a vote each, but that doesn't mean the rules committee accepted the popular vote as valid. If you want to argue that that's what the delegate apportioment is based on, then you should also agree that she should only get half of the popular vote total she's claiming, and that all of the uncommitted votes were actually votes for Obama. Obama still wins.

The delegate vote and the popular vote are separate. I agree with you that B.O. Hussein wins; I do not agree that he wins the popular vote. More Democrats voted for my brave little Hillary. Period. No rules committee can alter that undeniable fact.

And she was magnificent. I never thought I'd say this about a Clinton... but she was. Brave and plucky and absolutely shameless. I was proud of her. She ran a magnificent campaign.

The delegate vote and the popular vote are separate. I agree with you that B.O. Hussein wins; I do not agree that he wins the popular vote. More Democrats voted for my brave little Hillary. Period. No rules committee can alter that undeniable fact.

Put over the top by another undeniable fact, that Barack Obama followed rules and didn't put his name on the Michigan ballot.

She ran a magnificent campaign.

If having no contingency plan for not winning Super Tuesday in a landslide is magnificent, then I guess so.

Put over the top by another undeniable fact, that Barack Obama followed rules and didn't put his name on the Michigan ballot.

This is true.

If having no contingency plan for not winning Super Tuesday in a landslide is magnificent, then I guess so.

This is true also. However, after she was set back on her heels, she came back with a vengeance. B.O. Hussein was totally thrown. Like I said months ago, the expression on his face simply shouted, "Why won't she just stay down?"

My girl may have lost, but she made him pay - hard - for every fucking inch. I'm still proud of her.

Hillary Clinton won the popular vote the same way the Cincinnati Reds won the 1919 World Series.

For her and her surrogates to continue to repeat this "fact" over and over, without acknowledging the dubious circumstances the "victory" was achieved, is intellectually dishonest. And because the popular vote is not the primary determinant of the Democratic nomination, repeating this "fact" serves no purpose except to either feed Mrs. Clinton's ego or make Obama look weaker.

because the popular vote is not the primary determinant of the Democratic nomination, repeating this "fact" serves no purpose except to either feed Mrs. Clinton's ego or make Obama look weaker.

As Ann said... hypocrites. Have we always been at war with Eastasia.

The smoke-and-mirrors nature of politics is funny. A lot of comparisons were made in the last three months to McCain's waltz to the GOP nomination and the Democratic struggle. Except, McCain was winning states like Missouri with 33%. Fun stuff.

because the popular vote is not the primary determinant of the Democratic nomination, repeating this "fact" serves no purpose except to either feed Mrs. Clinton's ego or make Obama look weaker.

As Ann said... hypocrites. Have we always been at war with Eastasia.

It wasn't too long ago that Hillary was the one arguing that the popular vote shouldn't count. She's the one who kept trying to move the goalposts when it suited her. There's your hypocrisy.

Its not hypocritical to point out that the popular vote is meaningless when no one can agree on what the popular vote totals were.

pop_vote_chart.jpg

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/20...vote_count.html

At least in 2000, we had clear numbers to point to.

My girl may have lost, but she made him pay - hard - for every fucking inch. I'm still proud of her.

She wasted everyone's time and energy, went millions of dollars into debt, and gave the Republican a head-start in the general election campaign. For what? To feed her ego.

Seriously, how can anybody possibly be threatened by a scarf?

Oh, just be quiet and listen to your elders, you tiresome little puppy.

Sorry, unlike a few retards, I'm not buying the ambassador stuff. You're afraid of a goddam scarf, you actually believe whatever you read in forwarded emails about a presidential candidate you actually refer to as "B.O." and you cite the absolute worst "sources" to prove your comic troglodyte opinions. It's the internet, don't try so hard.

She wasted everyone's time and energy, went millions of dollars into debt, and gave the Republican a head-start in the general election campaign. For what? To feed her ego.

As an Obama supporter whose opinion means jackshit, this being my first time venturing south of the rasslin portion of the board, I do think Hillary staying in may be beneficial to Obama. He won't looked stunned like John Kerry when the Republicans start throwing punches because he's already been there and learned how to leave no charge unanswered.

It wasn't too long ago that Hillary was the one arguing that the popular vote shouldn't count. She's the one who kept trying to move the goalposts when it suited her. There's your hypocrisy.

I never said that B.O. Hussein had a monopoly on hypocrisy, and I've never been any fan of the Clintons. I just liked the way she campaigned, and how hard she bruised him.

Even if that's all true, so what? 1) She can easily afford it, 2) do you really think I'm sorry, even if the Republican in question is McCain, given that the alternative is B.O. Hussein? And 3) I don't care why she did it... I'm just glad that she did.

And even if you're a dyed-in-the-wool liberal who actually WANTS the sainted Hussein to win in November, you should be glad too.

I do think Hillary staying in may be beneficial to Obama. He won't looked stunned like John Kerry when the Republicans start throwing punches because he's already been there and learned how to leave no charge unanswered.

Precisely.

Seriously, how can anybody possibly be threatened by a scarf?

Oh, just be quiet and listen to your elders, you tiresome little puppy.

Sorry, unlike a few retards, I'm not buying the ambassador stuff. You're afraid of a goddam scarf, you actually believe whatever you read in forwarded emails about a presidential candidate you actually refer to as "B.O." and you cite the absolute worst "sources" to prove your comic troglodyte opinions. It's the internet, don't try so hard.

Now here comes the post where she says "Fuck you, worm".

Didn't I tell you to be quiet, child?

Are you 11?

It's not the pundits that are pathetic so much as the people who get all their "information"/opinions from them and stop there.

Awww man. You let me down. :P

Actually, it's my bad. It's: "SILENCE, Worm!"

<grins> How would you know, old friend? I've never told you to shut up.

Sometimes when you yell at Eric I like to pretend you are yelling at me.