TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

154 game schedule?

Couldn't really find any stories except for a column by Hal Boddely and discussion on ATH.

Basically. Selig is proposing shortening the season to 154 games. This would allow for a later start in the season, and fresher teams in the postseason. Boddely also mentioned expanding the LDS to 7 games.

If they expand the LDS, I could buy it. I would rather they just schedule a doubleheader or two somewhere in the season. They would probably make more money giving 2-for-1 days than cutting eight games off the schedule.

First of all, regardless of what they do with the regular season, they need to expand the LDS to 7 games. The idea that you can play 162 games and then lose your whole season by losing three is just ridiculous. Remember, in a three game series, the Yankees could have swept the Red Sox this year.

Second, I'm not really against shortening the season. In fact, I kind of like the idea. No pitcher's ever going to win 30 games again, and all the offensive stats are so inflated that shortening the season just balances them out a little. Without the statistical concerns, there's really no reason not to shorten it, as the season's so long that it becomes increasingly meaningless. The sheer fatigue of the season would be cut down a little bit, if they took a few games off the top.

So we're selling more tickets than we have in years, and we want to take games off the schedule.

Sounds bad. Don't take four games away from Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, places that people want to go. Because this just gives a flimsy excuse for owners to gouge the fans even MORE. It's been 162 games for years now. The product is hotter than ever, don't take it away.