TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

Has The Internet And/Or DVR/Tivo...

I thought this would make for an interesting topic.

When I first moved up to CT, I was out of the loop on a lot of my favorite TV shows for a couple of months. I borrowed tapes from friends to catch up for most of them. When I got high speed internet installed, I caught up on the rest on my computer.

Then, I found a GREAT site for TV Show rips, tvtorrents.net. They have HDTV rips of most shows. At this point, I noticed that I had changed my viewing habits. I realized that I pretty much didn't HAVE to be home or set my VCR to record one or two things that I always watch...I could just download them.

Now, I refuse to watch certain shows on TV, since I can get an HDTV rip of if on the net. I HATE Fullscreen.

I'd rather watch TV on my TV screen, since it's a much bigger picture, but the computer gives me convenience.

Now I'm getting DVR installed in a couple of weeks and I won't even have to download most shows on the net. It's freed up my time in terms of the weekdays, because I know I can watch it later.

However, I still think that if there's a GREAT show out there, like 24 or The Sopranos that I'm hooked up, I'll make an attempt to see it live.

Has the internet or DVR (Digital Video Recorders)/Tivo changed the way you watch TV?

What will happen to the TV industry in the future with DVR's availability growing exponentially in the country?

Dames

definately opened up alot of things for me, I've gotten into several shows by DLing episodes and now if I miss an episode it's no biggie...or if two shows are on at the same time I can watch one and DL the other later.

I would also include DVD into this as I've gotten into several shows that I never watched before by renting the previous seasons on DVD<specifically Alias and CSI>

It's definately a good time to be a TV watcher :D

Guest El Satanico

I wouldn't say change, but it has helped.

The internet hasn't helped me, because I have no idea about using these torrent sites.

Tivo has made it alot easier for me to record stuff, but my TV viewing hasn't been changed much.

I wouldn't say change, but it has helped.

The internet hasn't helped me, because I have no idea about using these torrent sites.

Tivo has made it alot easier for me to record stuff, but my TV viewing hasn't been changed much.

Ditto, how does one go about using a torrent site?

The internet has helped me with TV actually. It introcuded me to Spaced, Scrubs, Arrested Development, and others. Also, last year, I downloaded all of the Simpsons episodes that I never bothered to watch when they originally aired (the past few years).

Thanks for that link Dames. I just went to look at it and they already have tonight's Simpsons episode available for download. How in the world did they get that up so fast?

I download random things all the time. SNL episodes, shows from the UK, etc... I'd almost say that the internet has become my TV in many ways.

I download and burn about twenty different shows a week. It'll take me a very, very long time to watch them, but I know that ten years from now, having the complete run of Center of the Universe or something will be fucking beautiful.

I also use TiVo. I almost never watch live TV now. I love it because it allows me to sleep and study whenever I want, and it saves time since I can watch a thirty-minute show in twenty-three.

I only really watch wrestling regularly, as most of what's on TV these days doesn't interest me, but it has had an effect on that in regards to PPV's, because I don't need to buy them. I just wait less than a day, and download them from a newsgroup for way less than $34.95.

To use Bit Torrent, it's simple.

Go to Bittorrent.com, download the program.

Then, go to BitTornado.com and download that.

Install them in order and then go to any bittorrent sites and download away. tvtorrents.net is a GREAT site for TV shows.

Dames

Guest Salacious Crumb

It's helped me a good deal. I've never really followed shows because I hate being bound to a place at a certain time. So I like just being able to have the DVR tape it without having to worry every week.

I also like not having to sit through commercials anymore.

In my case, the internet has actually reduced the amount of TV I watch, since it's a viable and entertaining alternative to TV

Of course it doesn't hurt that most new shows fail to capture my interest (or worse, turn me off with ridiculous concepts and bad humor)

Im planning on getting a Directv HD Tivo when they come down in price from $999. I just spent $1000 on the HD TV itself, and I cant exactly afford the other $1000 right now, and I would be mad anyway if I bought it now since it should be going down in price soon anyway. The HD Tivo is nice though since it has 250 hours of SD recording and 30 hours of HD recording with dual tuners and the ability to record SD/HD from over the air with an antenna.

The internet is pretty useless to me for TV since it would take about a week to download a 1/2 hour show on my slow connection.

In addition, I would say that getting a HD TV has changed my viewing habits a bunch though. I dont have a directv HD box yet, but the Samsung TV I have has a built in tuner so Im able to watch CBS, ABC and PBS programming in HD. Its pretty amazing how many times Ive found myself watching the nature/travel stuff on PBS HD just because it looks so darn awesome on my new TV.

So if you have a $1000 TV, why can't you afford a cable internet connection? Was it from saving up or something?

I live out in the middle of nowhere. I cant even get cable (hence why I have Directv). DSL isn't an option since I live about 12 miles too far from the main thing that they measure from. And yes, I know Directv has Directway satellite internet, but its like $90 a month.

Ah, understood. I used to live like that as well.

My TiVo has been great to me, but I may have to switch to DVR since TiVo won't let you record one program while watching another.

Already had Tivo forever and don't watch much on live TV.

And this month I get our new HD, dual tuner, MS IPG DVRs so go me.

Plus VOD has really helped as well.

My TiVo has been great to me, but I may have to switch to DVR since TiVo won't let you record one program while watching another.

Do you have an older model Tivo? I just got a Tivo in August and it lets me either watch whatever I want while recording one thing or will record 2 things at once, but then I have to leave the TV on the one of the channels that the Tivo is recording.

I can speak for Tivo in that it has helped me watch programs faster because you can fast forward commercials and what not. Also helps watching WWE faster since the shows have sucked pretty bad lately and I can just skip past parts that I know are gonna suck. Season pass is cool too because I dont miss any shows that I don't want to miss.

Guest Dynamite Kido

Well the internet hasn't changed it at all, but that may change with me starting to do the torrent stuff, although I have only used that for wrestling stuff.............but I plan to change that.

I NEED my DVR now though. Ever since I bought it......it's like TV when I want it. I very rarely watch ANYTHING when it's on, so I just DVR a bunch of stuff.

Guest Haps' Happenin'
Already had Tivo forever and don't watch much on live TV.

And this month I get our new HD, dual tuner, MS IPG DVRs so go me.

Plus VOD has really helped as well.

What are all these things? I have absolutely no idea.

Also, is there some sort of technology website that can keep me up to date on all the latest technologies if I am completely ignorant of today's advanced technologies?

All I want is a MST3K torrent. I still watch TV the way I always have. I just remembered I forgot about the new Simpsons episode. I don't have dvr or whatever it is, so I'll just wait for the repeat.