TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gWIL

Election 2008

Possible Canidates:

Democrats: Hillary, Bayh, Edwards, Richardson, Dean?

Republicans: Rudy, McCain, Frisk, Jeb?

There are more but this is from the top of my head.

Any bold predictions? Here is mine an Evan Bayh/ Bill Richardson ticket will win the white house.

Republicans will lose control of the senate but keep the house.

Thoughts?

Guest Anglesault

If they put Hillary on the ticket, they lose.

If she's up against McCain, they lose rather handily.

Yeah, Clinton would be a laughably bad choice ... but I still think she gets the nod in four years.

And then loses in a BIG way.

I'd agree that Hillary would lose big-time...

She has more baggage than just about anyone they could run and every Dem candidate for 2008 will know that. There will be leaks galore leading up to the Iowa caucuses and the New Hampshire primary in an attempt to knock her out early.

If she does make it as the DNC candidate, the RNC could run almost anybody and win because she's so divisive. She energizes the Dem base but completely repulses the Republicans and many independants.

Yeah, the "all women will support Hillary" is a bigger fucking myth than Athena being sprung from the head of Zeus. Let's look at these lists.

Democrats:

Hillary Clinton:

So much baggage. But if she doesn't get knocked out early, they'll go with her.

Evan Bayh:

Everyone seems to say he's a moderate. Given the current state of the Democratic Party, they don't want anyone who will resemble a Republican in any way. He has that going against him.

John Edwards:

His star has extinguished.

Bill Richardson:

I don't know enough about him, but again, the DNC doesn't seem to embrace moderates much these days.

Howard Dean:

This is really who I would go with if I was running the DNC. Raises money like crazy, appeals to the youth vote (ha I know), and seems to have energy and WANT to be President. I'll take his creepy enthusiasm over Kerry's vapid disinterest.

You didn't mention Barack Obama, but he's still a rookie and isn't qualified enough yet to run. Plus, let's see what he actually votes on.

GOP:

Rudy Giuliani:

Admirable enough candidate. The only things against him are his moderate views on abortion and gay marriage. That won't win the Solid South.

John McCain:

Another strong choice, but John's not getting any younger.

Bill Frist:

This is who I would run with. He's an Ivy League-educated M.D., so you can toss the "stupid Republican" card out the window. He's from Tennessee, so he'll appeal to Southern voters. He's gotten a lot of credit for stepping up as Senate Majority Leader in Trent Lott's stead, and hasn't done much to disgrace himself in that position. He just generally seems like a respectable guy. The only baggage he might carry is that he experimented on cats from animal shelters in medical school, but he's admitted how wrong he was to do this, (and besides if he didn't, wouldn't they just have been euthanized anyway?) but this is something I hope we can look beyond.

Jeb Bush:

I'm Bushed out.

Guest Anglesault
Howard Dean:

This is really who I would go with if I was running the DNC. Raises money like crazy, appeals to the youth vote

I feel old.

Guest Anglesault

Howard Dean:

This is really who I would go with if I was running the DNC. Raises money like crazy, appeals to the youth vote

I feel old.

Aren't you?

I'm 27. I consider that "young"

I think someone else asked this once before and got told to read a book but I've googled and can't really find any sort of comprehensive list of Hillary's "Baggage". Can anyone offer a link or something?

*steals line from The Onion* I think two rich white guys will run against each other.

Guest MikeSC
Possible Canidates:

Democrats: Hillary, Bayh, Edwards, Richardson, Dean?

Republicans: Rudy, McCain, Frisk, Jeb?

There are more but this is from the top of my head.

Any bold predictions? Here is mine an Evan Bayh/ Bill Richardson ticket will win the white house.

Republicans will lose control of the senate but keep the house.

Thoughts?

OK, Republican: I think Giuliani has a better shot at winning the primary than McCain. John, when things go badly, has shown a tendency to attack the primary voters, which is bad. If McCain can play Giuliani as being further to the left than McCain (which Rudy is), McCain would win.

However, I still think Condi Rice is a sleeper.

And, no, Jeb has no desire to run because he knows he'd never win. Maybe 2016.

Democrats?

Evan Bayh --- he will not win the primary. He's electable --- but he's not going to appeal to the primary voters.

Richardson --- I like him, but he won't win. Didn't the theft of nuclear secrets at Los Alamos occur when he was governor of NM? Even if it's completely unfair --- and it would be --- he could be handcuffed by this.

Hillary --- A horrendous option, but I suspect she's the favorite of the primary voters. We need to remember that the primary voters are "true believers" and don't always choose the most electable candidate.

And Dems lose seats in the Senate. They have A LOT of guys up in 2006 (if memory serves, considerably more than the GOP does) and the odds of adding seats is virtually nil.

-=Mike

The best place to find a President is look at current or former Governors. Congressmen have only been elected three times in history.Know if it's Hilary vs McCaine than a Senator has to win. However I don't think McCaine will get the parties nomination.

Since I know more about the Republican side.

George Pataki-might be too liberal for the red state people. Could add someone like Bill Frist to appeal to the christian conservatives.

Tom Ridge-the forme governor of Pennsylvania. Currently homeland security director. Expected to step down to earn money in the private sector. Could be attempting to raise money for a Presidential run.

Bill Frist-A Senator is a hard label to get passed. Maybe to inside Washington, D.C. Whatever it is I see Frist has being a VEEP canidate if he wants it.

Bill Owens-popular governor of Colorado.A messy divorce probably eliminates him from even running.

The best place to find a President is look at current or former Governors. Congressmen have only been elected three times in history.Know if it's Hilary vs McCaine than a Senator has to win.

YEAH BUT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FOUR BUT KERRY WAS SCREWED ELECTED HA MORE LIKE SELECTED IF YOU ASK ME

I think Hillary shouldn't be as worried about the "Senator" label as much as the "freaking bitch" label, personally.

Guest MikeSC
I think someone else asked this once before and got told to read a book but I've googled and can't really find any sort of comprehensive list of Hillary's "Baggage". Can anyone offer a link or something?

*steals line from The Onion* I think two rich white guys will run against each other.

Hillary's baggage?

OK,

Was the driving force behind the false charges the FBI filed against the White House Travel Office

Openly corrupt trading on cattle futures

Hiding Rose law firm billing records for YEARS, despite subpoenas for them

Was behind the hiring of Craig Livingstone, who was busted stealing several hundred FBI files of Republicans

Numerous accusations of using anti-Semitic slurs.

A borderline paranoid desire to stonewall on everything possible

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC

Go on.

Dick Morris isn't the only one who has stated he heard her discussing "Jew bastards" and the like.

-=Mike

Go on.

Dick Morris isn't the only one who has stated he heard her discussing "Jew bastards" and the like.

-=Mike

Interesting. One minority down, several more to go. How many voting blocs can Hillary alienate?

1. "Hillary-care", the failed movement to nationalized healthcare under Bill Clinton in 1993. Hillary was THE person in charge of this experiment which never got off the drawing board.

2. Whitewater- Hillary was the lawyer for the MacDougals when they defrauded the Federal Government, which was at the same time Bill Clinton was the Attorney General of Arkansas, IIRC. (He was either the AG or the Governor.) Either way, it was a serious conflict of interest and should have gotten her censured at the least.

3. "File-gate"- Missing Rose Law Firm files and FBI files were "found" in the White House living quarters.

4. According to military people I know, Hillary had a "friend" who was promoted well over her talents because of her connection to the Clintons.

5. The scandal surrounding pardons given by Bill Clinton to people who had given heavily to Hillary's campaign for the Senate in 2000

The list just keeps on going and most of this has already been reported, so it won't be dirty tricks.

Guest MikeSC

Go on.

-=Mike

Interesting. One minority down, several more to go. How many voting blocs can Hillary alienate?

Well, she had that whole she thought Gandhi was running a gas station joke that went over --- well, as well as you'd expect it to.

-=Mike

Is there any Democrats from the south or middle America that could be in the running?

Cause if the nominee is from NYC or higher, they are screwed. They need someone from middle America who worked his BUTT off.

Anyone fit that?

Guest MikeSC
Is there any Democrats from the south or middle America that could be in the running?

Cause if the nominee is from NYC or higher, they are screwed. They need someone from middle America who worked his BUTT off.

Anyone fit that?

Bayh of IN or Richardson of NM --- but I really don't think the primary voters would take them. I believe they want Hillary.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Mark Warner, VA. Brad Henry, OK (Rob E's choice), Bill Richardson, NM

Didn't even think of Mark Warner, but he could do it. Brad Henry has the problem of being virtually unknown.

-=Mike