TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

I would just think DDP and Luger would tire of getting their ass handed to them every week.

Who was booking WCW in 2001 when they finally grew a brain and did what they should've done years ago?

What's the deal behind Natural Born Thrillers v. Luger/Bagwell from Greed

Whatever happened to Jim Powers after WCW? I remember him turning up in WCW as a lower card worker but I have not heard of him in years.

What was the deal behind the Renegade? Was he a Warrior rip off?

Does the Mexican Super Calo work anymore? (the guy with shades and the hat)

When Sting turned heel was it by choice or was he told to?

Where was Animal during Starrcade 93

He was still collecting on his insurance policy with Lloyds of London.

And Nash did eventually do a a job to Giant on PPV, but only after Hall hit him with a title belt.

Who was booking WCW in 2001 when they finally grew a brain and did what they should've done years ago?

A combination of Ace, Taylor, Sullivan and others

Luger and Bagwell were upset over having to do a job, so they literally laid down, thus making the match a total joke, and making O'Haire and Palumbo look nowhere near as strong as they were meant to.

What was the deal behind the Renegade? Was he a Warrior rip off?

Yes, he was a Warrior rip-off. They went with him when the Warrior declined to come in. Renegade was recommened to WCW by Warrior's old driver from his WWF days, and, as a result, Warrior broke off all contact with said driver.

Guest Loss
I would just think DDP and Luger would tire of getting their ass handed to them every week.

Luger got multiple wins over Hogan and held his own against the group more often than not. I'm sure he was quite happy. That was DDP's first big run, so I'm sure he was just excited to be there, and he was getting over too. Business was good at that time, so no one was really arguing with much because everything was clicking.

Current WWE Talent Relations head John Laurinitis, aka Johnny Ace, believe it or not.

Luger and Buff were doing jobs repeatedly in the weeks headed to the show under the promise of getting the tag titles at the PPV. The day came and Ace decided to keep the belts on the Thrillers since they were the younger team, which angered Luger and Buff. They were supposed to work a longer, competitive match, but Luger and Bagwell decided to act like children.

Guest Loss
Does anyone have a transcript or video of the nWo's 4 Horsemen? I have only seen clips of it.

I don't. You might try looking through DDT Digest.

When I think of Wrath, I think of him having a winning streak in the fall of '98 and Kevin Nash getting a clean pin over him en route to Starrcade, making it obvious who was going to win that match and truly send WCW into a downward spiral from which they'd never escape.

Not to mention that Wrath was getting really over with the crowd until losing to Nash in that match, which went like 6-7 minutes if I remember correctly, and resulted in a total de-push for Clarke.

WCW would have been better off putting Wrath over Nash and going with Wrath v. Goldberg at Starrcade, though obviously that would only have happened over Nash, Hogan, Savage, Bischoff and others dead bodys...

Luger and Buff were doing jobs repeatedly in the weeks headed to the show under the promise of getting the tag titles at the PPV. The day came and Ace decided to keep the belts on the Thrillers since they were the younger team, which angered Luger and Buff. They were supposed to work a longer, competitive match, but Luger and Bagwell decided to act like children.

Luger and Buff weren't meant to get the belts. That was Rey and Kidman in the CW Tag Title match, who were meant to get the belts at Greed, but didn't.

Does anyone have a transcript or video of the nWo's 4 Horsemen? I have only seen clips of it.

Nodq.com might have it somewhere...I think I found it on Kazaa, too.

What was the deal with Warrior coming in? Was it just because Hogan never beat him? How did he leave so quickly? Was he working on a show to show basis?

I don't. You might try looking through DDT Digest.

Do you know what time frame should I look? 1997, 1998...

It was right before Fall Brawl 1997.

What was up with Rick Steiner v. Konnan from the week before the last Nitro?

Is it true that Rick ended up not showing up at the Final Nitro because a bunch of workers were going to ambush him on TV?

What was the deal with Warrior coming in? Was it just because Hogan never beat him? How did he leave so quickly? Was he working on a show to show basis?

Hogan wanted his win back from WM VI. He left quickly because even Bischoff recognized that Warrior was beyond useless. He was signed to a 1 or 2 year contract for about $1.5m a year, which WCW 'ate'.

What was up with Rick Steiner v. Konnan from the week before the last Nitro?

Steiner was told to do it by someone in management.

Guest Loss

Hogan wanted his job back from Wrestlemania VI. That's all there was to it.

Ok, I have a really early memorys of WCW (relatively speaking, of course) that seems scattered in my mind. Some clearification would be sweet.

1. I used to catch WCW on TV in the early 90's and they would show clips from the big shows and sorta reviewing feuds - a specific one I remember is Flair/Sting in a cage match. They showed almost, if not all, of the match. What TV show was this, and what event was it in particular (not the black scorpion).

2. Related to the above, and this is a really scattered one, I recall something like "Sky Wars" or something -and I seriously could have been dreaming/hallucinating this as a kid- and it featured some really big guys going up on a really high platform and knocking each other off. I was probably 6-8 at the time, so "really high" could have been inflated in my small world. Vader, in particular, I remember being there w. his mastadon helmet (now, he could have been on the same show, or in the match). Granted, I know "scaffold match" is probably the answer, but it seemed larger than that - like, stretching well across the ring. What I'm asking, I guess, is... was I high?

And my favourite memories of WCW in 2001 were Jason Jett (!), the cruiserweight countdown, Jeff Jarrett having to face Kwee Wee and Kevin Nash saying a prayer for him, fuckit ANIMAL~!, the cruiser tournaments, Skipper and Romeo, and OF COURSE, Sugar Shane Helms and the Sugar Babies.

If Bret Hart was in the building- why didn't they make him a ref for Storm v. Awesome?

Why did Tank Abbot just dissapear? Why did Kanyon dissapear from August-February?

What happened to Stevie Ray that caused Book to become a singles guy for a while. When did he come back and when did they reform Harlem Heat?

Thanks for answering these

If Bret Hart was in the building- why didn't they make him a ref for Storm v. Awesome?

Why did Tank Abbot just dissapear? Why did Kanyon dissapear from August-February?

Bret was in no physical condition to referee.

Abbott disappeared because they just stopped using him.

They ate MILLIONS of dollars so Hogan could get a job back?

What did Steiner do to Konnan?

Warrior was tentatively scheduled for more after HH '98, but he was just too much of a headache.

Steiner shot on Konnan, with some stiff punches.

Guest Loss
Ok, I have a really early memorys of WCW (relatively speaking, of course) that seems scattered in my mind. Some clearification would be sweet.

1. I used to catch WCW on TV in the early 90's and they would show clips from the big shows and sorta reviewing feuds - a specific one I remember is Flair/Sting in a cage match. They showed almost, if not all, of the match. What TV show was this, and what event was it in particular (not the black scorpion).

I don't recall Flair and Sting ever meeting in a cage match where Flair wasn't The Black Scorpion, unless they were showing clips from a War Games, in which case the match took place at Wrestle War '91.

2. Related to the above, and this is a really scattered one, I recall something like "Sky Wars" or something -and I seriously could have been dreaming/hallucinating this as a kid- and it featured some really big guys going up on a really high platform and knocking each other off.  I was probably 6-8 at the time, so "really high" could have been inflated in my small world.  Vader, in particular, I remember being there w. his mastadon helmet (now, he could have been on the same show, or in the match).  Granted, I know "scaffold match" is probably the answer, but it seemed larger than that - like, stretching well across the ring.  What I'm asking, I guess, is... was I high?

There was a scaffold match between the Midnight Express and Road Warriors at Starrcade '86. The subtitle for the show was "Night of the Skywalkers." That may be what you're thinking of. It was a scaffold match, and yes, that was the cocnept.

I don't know that Vader ever participated in such a match. He showed up in the company in 1990, and I don't know what match you may be thinking of.

And my favourite memories of WCW in 2001 were Jason Jett (!), the cruiserweight countdown, Jeff Jarrett having to face Kwee Wee and Kevin Nash saying a prayer for him, fuckit ANIMAL~!, the cruiser tournaments, Skipper and Romeo, and OF COURSE, Sugar Shane Helms and the Sugar Babies.

The cruiserweight countdown was awesome. At the time, I was simply blown away.

Guest Loss
How can you be in no condition to ref a match?

Bret got something like 27,000 severe concussions in a two-month period. He was having headaches for nearly a year. He couldn't even fly for three months.

How can you be in no condition to ref a match?

Consider what a referee actually does during a match. Then consider that Bret had been in no condition to wrestle for at least 8 months, and was nowhere that condition come New Blood Rising.

He got the concussions against Goldberg.

Did he not tell anyone and keep working or is WCW just a bunch of assholes and made him keep working?

The angle with Goldberg and the steel plate. When did it happen and did they ever follow up with it? My only guess is that Owen's death was right after. Where was Goldberg for most of 99?

Bret did some angles in September 2000- surely he could've reffed the match instead of Jacques Rougeau.

EDIT: I believe you guys if he was in no condition to ref. I just remember being shocked they made Jacques Rougeu the ref and then Bret came out in the end anyway

Guest Loss
What time period did Clash of Champions air? I only remember watching one vaguly.

March 1988-August 1997. There were 35 of them.

What were some of the storylines that were planned if the company hadn't been sold?

I seem to remember a lot of things that were a mystery when the company was sold.

The plan was for a shutdown to take place after the Greed PPV until that May. They would return with Hulk Hogan as the new commissioner occasionally wrestling, and him and Flair involved in a dual for power on an almost constant basis. They would also return with a new name, don't know what it was going to be, and many new stars. Greed was going to end with the wrestlers all coming out of the dressing room and rioting, tearing down all the WCW banners and declaring the company dead, basically making for total anarchy on PPV, which is always fun. They would then do an angle where TBS and TNT kicked them off the air for a few months, allowing them time to plan feuds for the next 6-12 months, only to fight to get back on. It was a good plan.

This sounds crazy. Could have been cool, I'm sure.

What were some of the storylines that were planned if the company hadn't been sold?

I seem to remember a lot of things that were a mystery when the company was sold.

The plan was for a shutdown to take place after the Greed PPV until that May. They would return with Hulk Hogan as the new commissioner occasionally wrestling, and him and Flair involved in a dual for power on an almost constant basis. They would also return with a new name, don't know what it was going to be, and many new stars. Greed was going to end with the wrestlers all coming out of the dressing room and rioting, tearing down all the WCW banners and declaring the company dead, basically making for total anarchy on PPV, which is always fun. They would then do an angle where TBS and TNT kicked them off the air for a few months, allowing them time to plan feuds for the next 6-12 months, only to fight to get back on. It was a good plan.

That's one of the most amazing things I've ever read on this board.

How do you know this stuff again? You have a friend or something?

What time period did Clash of Champions air? I only remember watching one vaguly.

Clash I was on March 28th 1988, and Clash XXXV was on August 21st 1997.

Did he not tell anyone and keep working or is WCW just a bunch of assholes and made him keep working?

Bret did some angles in September 2000- surely he could've reffed the match instead of Jacques Rougeau.

Bret just kept working, which makes him partially responsible for the continued damage that contributed to his career ending as it did. And Bret could not have reffed the match. It's just that simple. He was in no condition to.