TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest Loss
He got the concussions against Goldberg.

Did he not tell anyone and keep working or is WCW just a bunch of assholes and made him keep working?

After two years of not being used, Bret suddenly had the belt and was in the top storyline, so he didn't say anything because he was felt like the company was counting on him. He obviously underestimated the damage that had been done.

The angle with Goldberg and the steel plate. When did it happen and did they ever follow up with it? My only guess is that Owen's death was right after. Where was Goldberg for most of 99?

Happened on 03/29/99 in Toronto. They never followed up on it, most likely because they felt Owen's death necessitated a Bret face turn, and yes, he died right after the feud started.

Goldberg was around for almost all of 1999. He missed a month or two mid-year with an injury of some type, but he was there the rest of the time.

Bret did some angles in September 2000- surely he could've reffed the match instead of Jacques Rougeau.

Bret's health was horrible at the time. I think walking to the ring was about all he could do. Bret is just really good at hiding pain, which is why it's easy to forget everything he's been through.

Guest Loss
What were some of the storylines that were planned if the company hadn't been sold?

I seem to remember a lot of things that were a mystery when the company was sold.

The plan was for a shutdown to take place after the Greed PPV until that May. They would return with Hulk Hogan as the new commissioner occasionally wrestling, and him and Flair involved in a dual for power on an almost constant basis. They would also return with a new name, don't know what it was going to be, and many new stars. Greed was going to end with the wrestlers all coming out of the dressing room and rioting, tearing down all the WCW banners and declaring the company dead, basically making for total anarchy on PPV, which is always fun. They would then do an angle where TBS and TNT kicked them off the air for a few months, allowing them time to plan feuds for the next 6-12 months, only to fight to get back on. It was a good plan.

That's one of the most amazing things I've ever read on this board.

How do you know this stuff again? You have a friend or something?

Bruce Mitchell actually wrote a column about it at the time. A lot of the ideas for turning around WCW at the time were so good that Meltzer wouldn't say them, because he wanted WWE to use them at some point.

I believe you guys.

So Souled Out 2000 was supposed to be Benoit v. Jarrett in three seperate matches and Bret v. Sid? What was the storyline with AA as ref.

Did Bret suddenly realise a day before the show that he couldn't work? Becuase that's kind of a dick thing to do.

Did Jarrett suffer a concussion from working with Snuka or something?

Did Bret suddenly realise a day before the show that he couldn't work? Becuase that's kind of a dick thing to do.

WCW found out from Bret on the Thursday before Souled Out that he couldn't wrestle.

And Jarrett got his concussion from Snuka splashing him off the cage.

Why didn't WCW do the Positvely Kanyon v. DDP feud when DDP came back?

Did Bischoff leave after BATB 2000 or was he already pretty much gone?

Why didn't Flair ever learn to say no and stand up for himself in WCW's later years?

Bruce Mitchell actually wrote a column about it at the time. A lot of the ideas for turning around WCW at the time were so good that Meltzer wouldn't say them, because he wanted WWE to use them at some point.

Anyone in particular who thought of these angles?

Guest Loss
I believe you guys.

So Souled Out 2000 was supposed to be Benoit v. Jarrett in three seperate matches and Bret v. Sid? What was the storyline with AA as ref.

At the time, most expected an Arn heel turn as an inside reference to the scissors incident in 1993. Arn was going to be the ref in Bret v Sid initially.

Benoit and Jarrett were going to do what Russo called "Triple Threat Theater".

Bret was planning on working the show, actually, but his doctor refused to let him fly. He had a match with Terry Funk on the Thunder before the PPV and got another concussion, and that was the final straw.

Yes.

Why didn't WCW do the Positvely Kanyon v. DDP feud when DDP came back?

Did Bischoff leave after BATB 2000 or was he already pretty much gone?

Why didn't Flair ever learn to say no and stand up for himself in WCW's later years?

DDP didn't want to do it.

Eric left just before then, because he wanted to let Russo hang himself by booking crap.

Flair just wanted a peaceful life, so kept quiet.

He had a match with Terry Funk on the Thunder before the PPV and got another concussion, and that was the final straw.

Actually, that match was on the second to last Thunder before SO.

Where I live, the only WCW we got was Worldwide Friday Night/saturday Mornings at 2:30 AM on WSBK out of Boston. That was all the WCW I got until my cable company finally offered TBS in 1996. So along the lines of what Rudo asked, questions from my childhood.

1. I remember Vader squashing El Gigante in a match, I think from Japan, and Vader just destroyed him on the rampway. I think he may have used his mask contraption as a weapon Did this happen and when?

2. There was an angle where Flair went nuts on El Gigante and hit him with like 10 steal chair shots and then Gigante no sold and bodyslammed him. Did this build to a feud between the two, because I don't think they ever fought on a PPV?

3.I vaguely remember that before a Rick Steamboat squash match, a super ninja or some master ninja came up on the video board and someone did a voice over in one of those synthesizers while the figure was shadowed. He just threatened Steamboat and I think harley race was involved, but maybe not. What was this?

Guest Loss

Anyone in particular who thought of these angles?

Bischoff and Ace, I'd imagine. They were pretty much the creative force at that point.

Guest Loss
1. I remember Vader squashing El Gigante in a match, I think from Japan, and Vader just destroyed him on the rampway. I think he may have used his mask contraption as a weapon Did this happen and when?

I don't recall anything like this.

2. There was an angle where Flair went nuts on El Gigante and hit him with like 10 steal chair shots and then Gigante no sold and bodyslammed him.  Did this build to a feud between the two, because I don't think they ever fought on a PPV?

Yes, they had a house show feud, which surprisingly drew well. Most attributed it to the fact that Flair finally had an opponent that wasn't Sting or Luger.

3.I vaguely remember that before a Rick Steamboat squash match, a super ninja or some master ninja came up on the video board and someone did a voice over in one of those synthesizers while the figure was shadowed.  He just threatened Steamboat and I think harley race was involved, but maybe not.  What was this?

This was actually a Sting v Bobby Eaton match from November of 1990, and was part of the Black Scorpion angle. Harley Race wasn't involved.

Yeah, I've always been curious what would have happened if not for all those injuries during Russo's first WCW run. I mean right after they got there Hall, Hart, Jarrett, and right after that Nash got hurt. Oh, and Goldberg too when he punched that glass window on the car. Would have been interesting to see what happened if those injuries hadn't happened. I read on a board elsewhere a post by Ed Ferrara where he says that they had good intentions in their first (and second) WCW run, but that Russo was so intent on bringing the ratings back up quickly that they threw away everything quickly instead of doing things slowly, which he admits was a big mistake.

Does anyone else remember that Bret and Nash were supposed to wrestle on Nitro until Owen died? I think it was right after Nash won the title at Slamboree.

Anyone else remember Sabu being announced as signed with WCW in 1999 or so?

Speaking of the Goldberg/Hart angle in Toronto, what was up with Hart walking out then and saying "Eric Bischoff, I quit"?

Can you think of any other major or interesting angles that were proposed but never happened?

When did WCW know that Giant/Big Show was leaving for the WWF?

Why did Sean Waltman leave his buddies Hall and Nash and go back to the WWF?

Who were the different booking teams for WCW and when were they in power?

Benoit and Jarrett were going to do what Russo called "Triple Threat Theater".

So three seperate matches?

What was supposed to happen at Spring Stampede 2000 before they fired Sullivan and brought in Russo and Bischoff.

Do you guys think the New Blood v. Millionaire's Club feud had a chance in hell of working?

That was from the second WCW/New Japan Supershow. It took place on January 4th 1992. The match was crap.

So you mean there were other great ideas that Meltzer never mentioned?

The Giant had one last match on Nitro where Nash beat him (again) and ran him out of the company.

Was the nWo v. WCW feud ever supposed to have one big blowoff match where WCW finally won?

Speaking of the Goldberg/Hart angle in Toronto, what was up with Hart walking out then and saying "Eric Bischoff, I quit"?

That was in Feb of 2000. He signed a deal with WCW, but Paul Heyman claimed he still had Sabu under contract, and Sabu never entered WCW.

It was a fake retirement angle.

They knew just before Starrcade '98. That's why he did a clean job to DDP.

He left because Eric fired him, and Sean refused to come back

Guest Loss
Does anyone else remember that Bret and Nash were supposed to wrestle on Nitro until Owen died? I think it was right after Nash won the title at Slamboree.

It was going to be on Leno, actually.

He was in WCW for a short period in 1995. I don't recall anything about 1999.

It was a work to build up the Bret/Goldberg feud.

Can you think of any other major or interesting angles that were proposed but never happened?

Raven and Roddy Piper were supposed to feud.

December of 1996, believe it or not. Hogan actually had his lawyer arrange the deal for him, thinking Wight was the future of wrestling and didn't need to be wasted in WCW. No joke.

Bischoff fired him because he was mad at Hall and Nash. He was going to rehire him, but by that time, he was already in the WWF.

Who were the different booking teams for WCW and when were they in power?

Same bookers when they were hot as when they weren't. Kevin Sullivan and Terry Taylor, mainly. Nash joined in late 1998 and was on the committee for most of 1999. Russo and Ferrera took over in October of 1999.

Guest Loss
So three seperate matches?

Yes.

What was supposed to happen at Spring Stampede 2000 before they fired Sullivan and brought in Russo and Bischoff.

Hogan v Sid, with Hogan winning the title.

Do you guys think the New Blood v. Millionaire's Club feud had a chance in hell of working?

Not with the old guys as babyfaces, and not with the old guys unwilling to truly sell and make the younger ones look good.

Guest Loss
So you mean there were other great ideas that Meltzer never mentioned?

I think he may have mentioned them by now, but he wouldn't say what they were for a long time because he wanted them to happen.

Yeah, I meant Nash vs. Bret on Leno, my bad.

Any details to the Raven/Piper feud that never happened?

Thanks for answering these questions, you guys are all awesome.

December of 1996, believe it or not. Hogan actually had his lawyer arrange the deal for him, thinking Wight was the future of wrestling and didn't need to be wasted in WCW. No joke.

Actually, the deal was in place in December of 1997. It was just a verbal commitment, obviously, but it was still a commitment to leave. WCW just didn't bother to do anything about it until it was too late.

He was in WCW for a short period in 1995. I don't recall anything about 1999.

I remember after the WWF said they were negotiating to bring the Radicalz in on their site- WCW.com said they were negotiating with Sabu. But they never brought him in.

Guest Loss
Was the nWo v. WCW feud ever supposed to have one big blowoff match where WCW finally won?

No.

Guest Loss
Why did they change the logo in 99? And why did they change it to THAT?

They felt the reason ratings were down was because of the look of the show.

The new design was crap.

3.I vaguely remember that before a Rick Steamboat squash match, a super ninja or some master ninja came up on the video board and someone did a voice over in one of those synthesizers while the figure was shadowed.  He just threatened Steamboat and I think harley race was involved, but maybe not.  What was this?

This was actually a Sting v Bobby Eaton match from November of 1990, and was part of the Black Scorpion angle. Harley Race wasn't involved.

Actually Loss, I remember the Black Scorpion angle and this was different. Steamboat was defintely there A mysterious figure appeared on the screen doing a voice synthesizer gimmick and taunted Steamboat. I'm pretty sure Harley was there. Could this have been Yoshi Kwan or something like that?

Guest Loss
Any details to the Raven/Piper feud that never happened?

Raven talked about it briefly on WOL once. The only thing he said was that part of the storyline had Raven doing Piper's Pit and hitting Kanyon, dressed up like Jimmy Snuka, with a coconut. That's all I know.