TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Why did they change the logo in 99?  And why did they change it to THAT?

They felt the reason ratings were down was because of the look of the show.

The new design was crap.

Like I said before I REALLY got into wrestling in March/April of 1999, so it was really disappointing to see WCW go downhill in that year. There was so much crap. Master P feuding with the West Texas Rednecks, that douchebag DJ they had, the Nash/Savage feud, David Flair as US champ, Hogan returning to win the title, Goldberg returning in their main event which was a CHAD BROCK CONCERT...man. :boxing:

How did the nWo angle end anyway? I know they split somehow in 1998 and then aligned again on 1.4.99. Did it just go away one Nitro and was never mentioned again?

This is not counting nWo 2000.

What was up with Dusty joining the nWo? How long was he in there for and why did they do it?

I'm going to bed soon- thank you guys so much for answering these

Well I know Hogan left after Spring Stampede because of an injured knee or something, and I think the nWo just faded after that. Hall was gone then, and Nash was soon the babyface champion. I think there was still the black and white b-team, like Vincent and those guys. Not positive though.

Guest Loss
How did the nWo angle end anyway? I know they split somehow in 1998 and then aligned again on 1.4.99. Did it just go away one Nitro and was never mentioned again?

This is not counting nWo 2000.

There was never a proper blowoff to the NWO. It just faded over time.

What was up with Dusty joining the nWo? How long was he in there for and why did they do it?

No clue why they did it. He joined at Souled Out '98 and then they just pretended it never happened over time.

I'm going to bed soon- thank you guys so much for answering these

No prob.

Guest Loss
Well I know Hogan left after Spring Stampede because of an injured knee or something, and I think the nWo just faded after that. Hall was gone then, and Nash was soon the babyface champion. I think there was still the black and white b-team, like Vincent and those guys. Not positive though.

That's pretty accurate.

My favorite memory of WCW in late 1999 was them commissioning a survey to see what the fans wanted. Unfortunately, it was commissioned just before Russo took control, and by the time the results were in, Russo was in charge. The fans said they wanted more wrestling and less skits. Russo binned the results, and went in the opposite directions to what WCW's own fans were telling him.

Hey Loss, since you were a long time WCW fan, what did you think of the whole "powers that be" period for WCW? Obviously they were going down the shitter anyways, so did you think it was an improvement or hate it because of rampant stupidity, shorter matches, etc?

In 1999, after I didn't watch WCW for a month or two, I turned back to it and was like "what the fuck?!" when I saw the new set and logo. At the time, pre-internet, that -to me- was the fall of WCW.

There was a skit with Raven in his house going through his old stuff and finding a picture of Roddy Piper. Before hand (I believe), Raven mentioned "The Snake" in one of his brooding home-promos. Did they originally plan Roberts to do a program with Raven, then turn to Piper, and then did nothing?

One more:

What was up with the Nitro after Starrcade 99 where every wrestler dropped the 's' bomb? Is it true that there was no censor that night and they just did what they want?

Guest Loss
Hey Loss, since you were a long time WCW fan, what did you think of the whole "powers that be" period for WCW? Obviously they were going down the shitter anyways, so did you think it was an improvement or hate it because of rampant stupidity, shorter matches, etc?

I liked the idea of doing a tournament for the title before it happened, but I didn't like the way it was executed. I preferred WCW because of the great matches, and we stopped getting those when Russo took over.

I thought it was stupd, and Vince Russo is a fucking idiot.

Yes, Jake Roberts was going to come in.

And the swearing on that Nitro was planned.

I *hated* the PTB storyline. The only interest I had in it was who was "the voice". And it wasn't even a genuine interest, it was more of a smarkish interest because -for instance- they had Piper say "Oh, it's YOU!" and I was like "I have never heard this fucking voice before, am I going nuts?"

Guest Loss
In 1999, after I didn't watch WCW for a month or two, I turned back to it and was like "what the fuck?!" when I saw the new set and logo. At the time, pre-internet, that -to me- was the fall of WCW.

There was a skit with Raven in his house going through his old stuff and finding a picture of Roddy Piper. Before hand (I believe), Raven mentioned "The Snake" in one of his brooding home-promos. Did they originally plan Roberts to do a program with Raven, then turn to Piper, and then did nothing?

Jake was often mentioned in passing during the Raven/DDP feud because he trained both of them, and they referenced that in storylines. I think that was Raven just trying to be consistent. There were never any plans for a Raven/Roberts program.

Raven/Piper was going to happen, but I don't remember what stopped it. I know both were willing to do the feud.

Fun fact I discovered while looking at stuff on DDTDigest. In 1999, Nick Dinsmore AKA Eugene wrestled on Saturday Night for WCW.

Who was everyone's favorite Saturday Night/Worldwide wrestlers here? I liked the Frog, and was a fan of Lash LeRoux back when he was a Saturday Night jobber.

Besides Wrath, did Nash totally take away the heat from anyone else who was up and coming on the roster?

Guest Loss

There is a reason why Nash is considered the most unprofessional wrestler who ever lived. Many reasons, actually.

I was always a fan of Kanyon & Mark Starr as Men At Work, and was happy when WCW gave Kanyon something to do.

Yes, Jake Roberts was going to come in.

????

I'm pretty sure Raven mentioned this in one of his shoots.

And the whole deal was dropped because the skits that lead up to it were scrapped at the behest of Big Lazy.

This was in early 1999 right? I remember reading something about Raven skits where he's digging through his home and found the Piper pictures or something. So Jake Roberts was going to come in then? That was only months before Heroes of Wrestling! :D

Man, all this stuff is fascinating.

What was the reasoning behind turning Sting heel at Fall Brawl 99? Just trying to come up with something different to do while still having Hogan and Sting feud? B-)

Guest Loss

Bischoff marked out at the idea of Sting as a heel because it had never been done. He ended up losing his job just before this show.

There is a reason why Nash is considered the most unprofessional wrestler who ever lived. Many reasons, actually.

I was always a fan of Kanyon & Mark Starr as Men At Work, and was happy when WCW gave Kanyon something to do.

Was this before he became Mortis? And then he went back to being Kanyon later?

What was the deal with Glacier? I mean honesly, who thought THAT was a good idea? And didn't he get a big push?

When was James Vandenburg with the company?

What was the deal with Glacier? I mean honesly, who thought THAT was a good idea? And didn't he get a big push?

Before Mortis.

Glacier was a Bischoff idea. Bischoff is a karate mark.

From '98 to mid '99, though he was rarely used.

Guest Loss

Yeah, before. They teamed in 1996.

They thought it would get over. It didn't.

Part of 1997 at least. Maybe a little longer, but I don't think so.

HTQ, I'm shocked at how good Nidia looks in your sig there. :)

Well over 100 posts in not a very long time. This is awesome.

Did Scotty Riggs originally do a pirate gimmick? When did he switch to the narcissist gimmick?

How long was Mikey Whipwreck with WCW for?

Were there any feuds in WCW that had a clear, conclusive blow off? I mean seriously, I can think of Booker/Benoit in their best of 7, but not much else during the nWo era at least.

What was WCW's reaction to WWF overtaking them in the Monday night ratings in early 98? Is this what led to Goldberg winning the title on a Nitro and not on a well built up PPV?

Did Shawn Michaels almost sign with WCW before his world title run in the WWF?

What was the storyline behind Bret Hart screwing Randy Savage out of the title and leading to their match at Slamboree in 1998? Obviously they had to have someone screw over Savage so Hogan could win the title back, but still...

Did DDP ever join the Wolfpac?

Was Warrior's WCW debut at Fall Brawl, or had he appeared before then? If so, how did he debut?

This is all too much. We should just put everything together in one big Q&A post, more organized of course, after all is said and done in here and just pin it. This stuff is crazy reading.

I agree, this is fantastic. I hope more cool stuff is revealed in the Death of WCW book.

The "trust fund" Raven stuff was supposed to lead to the Raven/Piper feud. I don't remember the details but I believe Raven dropped hints/comments about someone who'd been a hero to him or something, which would have been Piper, who in actuality was one of Raven's inspirations in the business.

Oh, what was the deal with Rick Steiner picking Kenny Kaos as his new tag team partner after Havoc 98? Looking back that just seems kind of out of left field.

Thanks for the answers as always...

The "trust fund" Raven stuff was supposed to lead to the Raven/Piper feud. I don't remember the details but I believe Raven dropped hints/comments about someone who'd been a hero to him or something, which would have been Piper, who in actuality was one of Raven's inspirations in the business.

So the "trust fund" angle was that Raven's parents left him money or something?