Ultimo Dragon v Dean Malenko (Cruiserweight title), 18:30

Madusa v Akira Hokuto (Women's title), 7:06

Rey Misterio Jr v Jushin Liger, 14:16

Chris Benoit v Jeff Jarrett, 13:48

Scott Hall & Kevin Nash v Meng & Barbarian (Tag titles), 11:52

Eddy Guerrero v Diamond Dallas Page (US title), 15:20

Lex Luger v The Giant, 13:23

Hulk Hogan v Roddy Piper, 15:26

Notice how they piled the workrate matches early in the show to get the crowd pumped, before shifting from the cruiserweights into more of a traditional US pro style match (Benoit/Jarrett), finishing out with two title matches, a long-awaited grudge match and a main event that's awful. The joke was always that the first half of every WCW PPV was usually awesome. This is the best example of that theory.

Always will remember the huge pop for the supposedly heel Hall and Nash after they beat FOF. The NWO got the biggest face reactions on that show despite being the dominant top heel group

Guest Loss

And a lot of babyfaces resented them because they felt like they should have been working harder to turn the fans against them instead of playing it cool so much.

How long did he feud with Raven? How long did Saturn feud with Raven?

Kanyon started attacking Raven in the April / May months as a "random fan". Revealed himself to everyone at Slamboree. He feuded with Saturn and Raven from June til about September when all of a sudden Kanyon and Raven were best buddies (WTF? What happened there?) Initially, Kanyon was just taking Saturn's place in the Flock before they disbanded due to the Fall Brawl match stipulations.

Saturn started showing rebellion against Raven at Slamboree when he chose to face to Goldberg by himself again to prove his loss to Goldberg at Stampede the previous month wasn't a fluke rather than have Goldberg face all the Flock members in a "Gauntlet" - like match. Saturn then feuded with Raven in June and then had the blow-off at Fall Brawl.

What are the most eerie similarities, do you think, between WCW then and WWE now?

When did Benoit and Malenko each join the 4 Horsemen? Did the Horsemen disband after Fall Brawl 97 and then reform in fall of 98 on that one Nitro episode?

I remember hearing once that Fit Finlay beat Ric Flair on an episode of Thunder in a big upset. Did that happen, or was it one of those lame "we reversed the decision the next day" things? Also, why was Finlay given a TV title push in 98?

When did Vampiro come to WCW?

Any good Lex Luger stories?

What are the most eerie similarities, do you think, between WCW then and WWE now?

Any good Lex Luger stories?

New stars not being created, and any potential stars getting their legs cut off, or being 'exposed' to provide an excuse not to push them.

He was in briefly in late '98 I think, but disappeared for almost a year.

He was the one broke Syxx Pac's neck, albeit accidentally.

How long did it take for Bobby Heenan to replace Jesse "The Body" Ventura from WCW programming? I know Jesse's last broadcasting gig was at Bash at the Beach '94, announcing the Vader-Angel & Rhodes/Anderson vs. Funk/Bunkhouse Buck matches, but I mean, did Heenan take over Jesse's Saturday Night, Clash, Worldwide & PPV announce duties immediately after arriving?

Why did WCW drop the Great American Bash for two years? Better yet, why the hell did they drop it in favor of Beach Blast/Bash at the Beach? In 1992, they had those two events back-to-back, so I don't understand why they'd drop the Bash for BB/BatB.

How long did it take for Bobby Heenan to replace Jesse "The Body" Ventura from WCW programming? I know Jesse's last broadcasting gig was at Bash at the Beach '94, announcing the Vader-Angel & Rhodes/Anderson vs. Funk/Bunkhouse Buck matches, but I mean, did Heenan take over Jesse's Saturday Night, Clash, Worldwide & PPV announce duties immediately after arriving?

Heenan took over Clashes right away. He also did announcing for Worldwide, as well as endless cut scenes with Gene to open them up when they taped months of tv at Disney.

Guest OSIcon
When did Benoit and Malenko each join the 4 Horsemen?

Benoit joined in late 1995 (November/December) very shortly after arriving in WCW. They were a three man unit at the time (Arn, Flair, and Pillman) after reforming at Halloween Havoc that year. Arn and Pillman sort of just brought him out during an interview, put him over, and introduced him as the fourth Horsemen. He remained a Horsemen after Pillman left and until Fall Brawl '97. He then began petioning Arn to bring the Horsemen back (along with Mongo and Malenko) in early-mid 1998.

Malenko formed an alliance with Benoit and began to try and convince Arn to re-form the Horsemen in the summer of '98. Dean was basically "fighting the Horsemen's fight" against the NWO (specifically Curt Henning). Arn kept saying the Horsemen were dead, everyone should move on, ect. and getting on Dean for not knowing what it is to be a Horsemen. Arn saved Dean from getting his head smahed by a cage door by Henning and Rude (the same thing that was done to Flair at Fall Brawl '97) in early September. That kind of sealed the deal that Arn had finally come around and they reformed soon after with the Benoit, Mongo, Flair, Malenko line up.

Vamprio was actually signed in early 1998, had a couple of televised matches, got into with Konnan (who he had heat with dating back to their days in Mexico), and was shelved for quite a while. They brought him back in the summer of 1999 and teamed him with ICP and Raven as the "Dead Pool". Raven was gone from WCW shortly after the group formed and Vamprio moved up a bit in the pecking order.

Why did WCW drop the Great American Bash for two years? Better yet, why the hell did they drop it in favor of Beach Blast/Bash at the Beach? In 1992, they had those two events back-to-back, so I don't understand why they'd drop the Bash for BB/BatB.

They didn't drop it in 1992. It was gone from 1993-1994. I am not sure if *anybody* except those making the decision know why they did it. It was probably just the case of someone in charge not liking the name and dumping it for a couple of years. That happened a lot in WCW.

Sting got Luger and Steiner busted...wow. Was there any long term heat about that? Aren't Sting and Luger good friends still today?

Luger and Sting's wife are supposed to still be bitter enemies over the whole thing though Luger and Sting himself basically kissed and made up. It's been stated that Sting told the WWE, about a year ago when the idea of Sting signing with the WWE was tossed around, that if they wanted to sign him to any sort of deal to join the WWE that they would also have to sign Luger too.

What was the deal behind the Renegade? Was he a Warrior rip off?

Renegade was a Warrior rip-off that was created when they couldn't sign the actual Ultimate Warrior. Was given an uber-push that failed miserably and basically was depushed during one of Hogan's hiatuses right before the NWO angle started. Said depushing plus the general backlash against him and his character ultimately drove the wrestler playing Renegade to suicide....

The "Raven as a spoiled rich kid/pouser" storyline

That particular storyline was hated when it first started out by the net do to the way that it basically killed mysterious nhillist/freak aspect of Raven's character as well as the way that it featured Sandman/Hak being portrayed as a crappy Kramer-esque bumbling neighbor next door. IIRC the storyline was forced on Raven basically to give him something to do since at the time Raven lost his booking power over his angles in the huge creative reshufflings at the time and Raven himself needing some time off do to injuries.

What was the reasoning behind giving Luger the title the week before Road Wild 97? Just to give him a quick title reign and keep him happy?

It was the first 3 hour Nitro and IIRC also the 100th episode; hence them wanting to do something good the cap off the episode....

What was the original plan with Nash after losing the retirement match to Hogan at Road Wild 99?

Nothing really, since Nash was basically going on a break after running the company into the ground with the Summer of Suck. The return of Russo brought him back basically since his cancer counterpart fell out at the same time Russo returned....

Guest dreamer420

I remember the deal with Sabu back in 1999. WCW tried to steal him away while still under contract to ECW which led to Paul E. threatening to sue and the whole thing was forgotten. WCW seem hell bent on signing Sabu back in 99 and I have no clue why.

Guest MikeSC
What was the reasoning behind giving Luger the title the week before Road Wild 97? Just to give him a quick title reign and keep him happy?

It was the first 3 hour Nitro and IIRC also the 100th episode; hence them wanting to do something good the cap off the episode....

I assumed it was because Hogan wanted to regain the title (not too dissimilar to Flair v Garvin in '87)

-=Mike

...Well, except for the match quality...

Who was booking WCW at the end (2001) when the young guys and cruiserweights were getting pushes?

Where did the Reese/Juvy feud come from?

What was Paul Wight's last match with WCW? When did Giant join/leave/join/leave the nWo?

Why did Piper/Savage team together at GAB 98 and then wrestle each other right after that match?

Didn't Vince Russo suggest that Tank Abbott win the belt at Souled Out 2000 after Bret was hurt, leading to him getting fired? How did Russo end up getting brought back in April?

Did anything ever come of Mike Awesome's WCW debut when he attacked Kevin Nash? I remember Nash costing Awesome a match at Spring Stampede, but that's it.

Guest MikeSC
Who was booking WCW at the end (2001) when the young guys and cruiserweights were getting pushes?

Johnny Ace, Kevin Sullivan, etc.

Where did the Reese/Juvy feud come from?

Well, they took the mask off of him and needed to give him something while building up the Kidman v Guerrera series (they had a few matches in this period and they all seemed to click well).

What was Paul Wight's last match with WCW? When did Giant join/leave/join/leave the nWo?

Wasn't his job to DDP at Starrcade his last match? He joined the nWo in, if memory serves, October 1996 (when he chokeslammed the FOF).

Didn't Vince Russo suggest that Tank Abbott win the belt at Souled Out 2000 after Bret was hurt, leading to him getting fired? How did Russo end up getting brought back in April?

Yes. He was discussing having Tank win a battle royal for the belt, if my shaky memory is remotely accurate.

As for Russo --- WCW didn't do any better without him and the suits felt that bringing in EB and Russo would capture lightning.

They never seemed to realize that broadcasting changing writing team members does not generate fan support.

Did anything ever come of Mike Awesome's WCW debut when he attacked Kevin Nash? I remember Nash costing Awesome a match at Spring Stampede, but that's it.

Not really. Awesome had a good performance in the US Title tournament and that pretty much was all he did --- until he started his "Fat Chick Thriller" gimmick.

Which was followed by the 70's Guy.

-=Mike

Wasn't his job to DDP at Starrcade his last match? He joined the nWo in, if memory serves, October 1996 (when he chokeslammed the FOF).

His last match was 90 second loss to Kevin Nash on January 11th 1999 on Nitro.

Guest MikeSC

I should've guessed a Nash job.

-=Mike

...OK, quickie --- has Nash actually put ANYBODY over? Ever?

I should've guessed a Nash job.

-=Mike

...OK, quickie --- has Nash actually put ANYBODY over? Ever?

Surprisingly, the match was pretty even, and it wasn't even a clean job.

Does his 2 minute loss to Test just after Bad Blood 2003 count as putting someone over ?

Not to beat a dead horse, but I love this thread. Now for my questions...

After DDP won Battle Bowl, why didn't he get his world title shot? He was reduced to fighting Bagwell on the next ppv, if I remember correctly.

What was up with Ric Flair in the U.S. title picture in 96?

What are the full stories behind the injuries of Syxx and Arn Anderson?

Why did Chris Jericho fight Nick Patrick at the end of 96?

Also, for how long was Jericho managed by Teddy Long?

Continuing with this trend, when and why did Teddy leave?

Was turning Dusty to the NWO just a way to give his announcing job to Mike Tenay?

When did Stevie Ray stop competing?

I'm sure I'll have more eventually.

After DDP won Battle Bowl, why didn't he get his world title shot? He was reduced to fighting Bagwell on the next ppv, if I remember correctly.

What was up with Ric Flair in the U.S. title picture in 96?

What are the full stories behind the injuries of Syxx and Arn Anderson?

Why did Chris Jericho fight Nick Patrick at the end of 96?

Also, for how long was Jericho managed by Teddy Long?

Continuing with this trend, when and why did Teddy leave?

Was turning Dusty to the NWO just a way to give his announcing job to Mike Tenay?

When did Stevie Ray stop competing?

Storyline reason was that his foot hit the floor during the Battle Royal.

He had to vacate it due to injury.

Syxx broke his neck in late 1997 when he landed wrong off of a Lex Luger backdrop. Arn's was just cumulative.

Patrick was screwing him over in matches. And I don't remember Long with Jericho, at least not for long.

Teddy left around 1999-2000 I think, but I can't be sure. I think it might have had something to do with the lawsuit that Sonny Ono and co filed.

Dusty turned just because they wanted a shocking turn.

Not soon enough.

There was a weird Nitro I had some friends go do in Fargo, North Dakota in April of 99.

The title changed twice in the show. Sting beat DDP, and then DDP won the title back in a fourway at the end of the night by pinning Nash.

The Armstrongs got a pin over RAVEN.

Rey Misterio beat Psychosis to win back the cruiserweight title he lost on Nitro a week before.

Ric Flair is at his mental hospital and sees Scott Hall there.

Weird, weird show.

WWE really needs to put out a series of "Best of WCW" DVDs. They'd sell huge, I bet.

They would sell huge, but Vince would rather go broke using his own ideas than make money using someone else's.

Well they're going to make money of ECW...what's the difference?

WWE really needs to put out a series of "Best of WCW" DVDs. They'd sell huge, I bet.

They would sell huge, but Vince would rather go broke using his own ideas than make money using someone else's.

Well they're going to make money of ECW...what's the difference?

I think that's probably because he didn't consider ECW competition. With WCW, Vince has that thing that prevents him taking anything they did seriously, and labelling everything they did as 'wrong'.

One of my favorite WCW stories is from 2000. When Hugh Morrus, Chavo Guerrero, Lash LeRoux, and Van Hammer formed the Misfits in Action, they were to be known as Captain (later General) Rection, Lieutenant Loco, Corporal Cajun, and Private Stash (a weed joke, in classic Russo fashion). However, Hammer felt that he was too good for the low rank of "Private" and made them change it to Major Stash.

Speaking of Hammer, where was he from leaving WCW in '93 to returning in '97-'98? Did his first run end right after he lost to Sid? And how did he come back to join the Flock?

Speaking of Hammer, where was he from leaving WCW in '93 to returning in '97-'98? Did his first run end right after he lost to Sid? And how did he come back to join the Flock?

He got a try out at the WWF TV tapings on July 26th and 27th 1993, where he did jobs to Virgil and Damien Demento respectively. In between that and rejoining WCW, his most notable act was getting the shit kicked out of him by William Regal at New Year's Eve party at Eric Bischoff's house in either 1996 or 1997.