TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest Eric the Eagle

Bischoff in firing mode was unspeakably brilliant.

He fires Steve Austin, by phone. Austin is, understandably, upset, and lets the world know.

He fires Sean Waltman by letter, and Waltman is upset because he didn't even call him to talk to him.

These two fiascos behind him, he decides to safeguard it by firing British Bulldog...

...BY FAX!

Am I the only one who is bewildered by the whole theory of "Austin was going to feud with Flair and get the world title?" Austin in 1994 WCW had almost ZERO heat. In the post Hollywood Blondes era neither he or Pillman had much going and Austin's US title reign was extremely forgettable. I don't think Austin had any real command of the crowd at this point.

Didn't matter. Flair, who was WCW's savior in 1993, loved Austin. Austin also went over WCW GOLDEN BOY (and quite unbeatable U.S. Champ) Dustin Rhodes in TWO STRAIGHT FALLS in their biggest show of the year. Flair would've elevated Austin.

Yeah, Flair was booking at this point and the long-term plan was to feud with Austin and eventually drop the belt to him.

Hell, Steamboat had zero heat in 1989 and Flair put him over because he liked him. Why wouldn't he do it with Austin?

I've got a new contender for worst WCW (or anywhere else for that matter) house show:-

Atlanta GA (16/11/95 780 sell out)

Lex Luger pinned Jerry Lynn

Joey Maggs defeated DDP (!) by countout

The American Males beat the Barrio Bros by dq

Jim Duggan pinned VK Wallstreet

The Super Assassins DCO Nasty Boys

Yep that's it- 5 matches with 3 being dodgy finishes, and only one 'name' star at the event, what were they thinking????

And the "name" is Luger. Joey Maggs gets a countout win? Two craptastic tag team matches! I think we have a winner!

Bischoff in firing mode was unspeakably brilliant.

He fires Steve Austin, by phone. Austin is, understandably, upset, and lets the world know.

He fires Sean Waltman by letter, and Waltman is upset because he didn't even call him to talk to him.

These two fiascos behind him, he decides to safeguard it by firing British Bulldog...

...BY FAX!

Those are great.

Yeah but Steamboat was at least notable in 89. As in fans knew who he was, knew he had great matches against Flair in the past and Macho in the WWF. Also, Steamboat wasn't meant to be the future of the company or anything...just a guy for Flair to job to and regain from and then move on to Funk.

But Austin? In 1994 he had zero heat and not really much singles credibility. And no, beating Dustin Rhodes doesn't = credibility.

By the way, what was up with that Starrcade US title match with Austin and Rhodes? Why book a 2/3 falls match and job a guy 2 straight? Hell, just give Dustin a token DQ or countout there to justify the stip.

Someone is posting an "Ultimate Vader Collection" series on PWtorrents. I noticed during his Halloween Havoc 92 match that two icons of wrestling, Vladimir the Superfan and Hat Guy, were sitting with each other and yelling at Vader. Hat Guy was with the older looking guy whose gimmick I can't remember, but he was in regular clothes.

I didn't realize Vlad was at WCW shows in the early 90s (I recognize him more as a Fed superfan and I guess ECW since he made his big return at ONS this year) nor did I know that the Hat Guy gimmick started his run as a fan at a WCW show.

Here is one that I never knew how it got started, WTF was the deal with Savage not knowing who Diamond Dallas Page was during their feud in the early days of Savage in the nWo?

Did Savage really butcher Page's name in a promo or something and they decided to make it an angle

Or was it just another "Heel doesn't have a clue about non-main eventers" situation

Steve

http://www.kevinnash.net/edited0314.htm

<wrath> WHO WOULD U LIKE TO RECRUIT FOR THE WOLFPAC NEXT????

<BigSexy> WOLFPAC NEXT: sable

<Bleepmeister> IF YOU COULD HAVE A DREAM ROLE IN A MOVIE WHAT WOULD IT BE?

<BigSexy> DREAM ROLE/MOVIE: the last man on earth....and id have to re-populate the planet, co-starring pam Anderson

<JerichoFan> TERRY TAYLOR WAS A GOOD BOOKER, WHAT HAPPENED

<BigSexy> TERRY TAYLOR: all good bookers must die

(someone must say something here, haha)

<FUBUCW> BIGG SEXXXY, WHAT DO YOU PLAN TO DO WITH NORTON AFTER THE B SQUAD DIMINISHES??????????????

<BigSexy> NORTON: make him like a super mario character

<FUBUCW> IF TAZ WERE TO JOIN WCW TODAY HOW WOULD YOU HANDLE HIM PUSH WISE????????????

<BigSexy> TAZ: cruiserweight role

<punjab> WHY CAN REY BEAT BIG GUYS BUT NOT KIDMAN

<BigSexy> REY: kidman wears a wife beater

<FUBUCW> WHAT's THE NEXT TITLE IN YOUR CAREER??

<BigSexy> NEXT TITLE: crusierweight....someone's gotta stop kidman

<WChickadee> What was your major in college?

<BigSexy> COLLEGE MAJOR: blondes

<BigSexy> MINOR In brunettes

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Larry Z interview at Georgia Wrestling ....

When you went back after the Lawler thing dissolving, and you went back and won the belt -- and business was dropping off badly -- what were your best memories? Do you have any hot moments there? I know they gave you Nikita Koloff, who wasn't exactly the best worker in the world, D.J. Peterson, and some guys like that. What was it like to try and defend against those guys to help save the company, and help salvage the company.

Well, you know what, it was fun for me because I was in the top spot, getting the top publicity. And even though things were getting close to closing the doors, and I knew it was coming, I had a real easy schedule. We did TV once a week, I only wrestled once or twice a week.

I started to get into playing a lot of golf, and flying airplanes around, so I was having a great time. And even at that time, we were having some talks with Jim Herd, and some other people in WCW, so I was looking forward to coming down here. And I know Verne tried to work something out with them, but it just didn't work.

Verne actually wanted to do an invasion angle?

That's where the invasion angle came from. The Gagne's wanted to do an invasion angle with the AWA and the new WCW starting up. And they wanted me to come down with the AWA belt and wrestle Sting, who was their new guy who had the new WCW belt.

But, I'm not sure who it was, so I don't want to mention any names, but somebody in the TNT-TBS-WCW got scared and told them that they had to be careful because "Zbyszko could come down here and beat up Sting, and make our champion look really bad." They were still into that old school "protect your champion" thing. You know thinking I was going to come down here and make the champion look bad so that the AWA could thrive on -- like that would do it. (Laughs)

So that never happened, but I wound up with a good deal here. Me and Kathy came down in 1991, and been living happily ever after. And the invasion angle, (Eric) Bischoff was up there working for Verne, and the Gagne's, and around me and stuff, and when he got in power that's basically got the idea for the invasion angle.

Guest hasbeen
I've got a new contender for worst WCW (or anywhere else for that matter) house show:-

Atlanta GA (16/11/95 780 sell out)

Lex Luger pinned Jerry Lynn

Joey Maggs defeated DDP (!) by countout

The American Males beat the Barrio Bros by dq

Jim Duggan pinned VK Wallstreet

The Super Assassins DCO Nasty Boys

Yep that's it- 5 matches with 3 being dodgy finishes, and only one 'name' star at the event, what were they thinking????

And the "name" is Luger. Joey Maggs gets a countout win? Two craptastic tag team matches! I think we have a winner!

I've never understood DQs and countouts at houseshows, unless-the only reason, it was a regular stop (like every 2 weeks or more frequent even) and there wasn't a large number of wrestlers on the roster.

Yeah but Steamboat was at least notable in 89. As in fans knew who he was, knew he had great matches against Flair in the past and Macho in the WWF. Also, Steamboat wasn't meant to be the future of the company or anything...just a guy for Flair to job to and regain from and then move on to Funk.

But Austin? In 1994 he had zero heat and not really much singles credibility. And no, beating Dustin Rhodes doesn't = credibility.

By the way, what was up with that Starrcade US title match with Austin and Rhodes? Why book a 2/3 falls match and job a guy 2 straight? Hell, just give Dustin a token DQ or countout there to justify the stip.

We mustve been watching different WCWs at the time...Austin was really over with the Hollywood Blonds (and had plenty of heat after the breakupand during matches with Steamboat etc) and had already been over as a single before that in the Dangerous Alliance.

He was as over in early/mid '94 as Steamboat in early '89...remember, Steamboat was coming off an embarassing end to his WWF run followed by an absence.

Flair-Austin would have been alot of fun and would have drawn well...without wasting a boatload of cash on Hogan and his buddies.

Alright, I need to revive this thread after watching Eddie/Ultimo from Slamboree 98, and I need a refresher on an angle...

What circumstances led to Chavo being Eddie's slave?

Alright, I need to revive this thread after watching Eddie/Ultimo from Slamboree 98, and I need a refresher on an angle...

What circumstances led to Chavo being Eddie's slave?

A simple promo on Thunder led to the match the same night.

Ah, no wonder I forgot about that. I thought I had blacked out on a relatively important WCW/NWO era midcard angle. Good to see it was just a forgettable Thunder incident.

Thanks for the help!

I have a WCW question: On Randy Savage's profile on Obsessed with Wrestling it says "Randy Savage took a hiatus from the company, only to return with a new look, a new attitude.." when he was in WCW. When did he return, was it in 1998 or in 1999 or maybe even earlier

Okay another question, who had the "leading" role in WCW in late 1997/begin 1998. On Obsessed with Wrestling it says Roddy Piper was the Interim Commissioner but Larry Zbyszko fought for Nitro to be WCW at Starrcade against Bischoff so....or could all three of them make decisions