TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Also in late 1997/early 1998, who was the "leader" in WCW. Who could book matches, Eric Bischoff? Larry Zbyszko? Roddy Piper (I thought he was Interim Commisioner)

Read the Death of WCW book. It covers how incredibly stupid the storylines were and how things rarely made sense when it came to who was running WCW.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I remember shocking my neighbor watching Nitro with me by sarcastically saying "roddy piper...just like WWF did" right before he was annonuned as president. (Pre net days for me)

in late 1997, what TV shows did WCW have. Nitro, Thunder debuted in January 1998, Saturday Night (basically Heat), but I think they also had WorldWide and Pro? What happened on those shows?

WCW Worldwide was basically just a B-show that was broadcast internationally.

Oh yeah, I also highly recommend that book "The death of WCW"

WCW Pro was pretty much low card guys wrestling jobbers. You know, someone like Disco Inferno or Chris Adams would be in the featured match.

WCW Worldwide was pretty much the same, though once in a while you'd see someone like Randy Savage or Ric Flair wrestle a jobber.

WCW Saturday Night was the premier show for years until Nitro debuted in '95. It was still pretty important (remember nWo Saturday Night?) until Thunder came on. At that point SN became mostly squash matches, and then eventually an all recap show.

Does anyone remember 3 count? I know one of them was Shane Helms, but who where the others!

P.S Worst angle ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone remember 3 count? I know one of them was Shane Helms, but who where the others!

Shane Helms, Shannon Moore, and Evan Karagias.

Get up off your feet.

Put your hands together.

Hooray for flashbacks!

Shane Helms, Shannon Moore, and Evan Karagias.

Get up off your feet.

Put your hands together.

Hooray for flashbacks!

Which Shane Helms gimmick did you hate more, 3 count or the Hurracane?

Hey, I actually liked 3 Count. What was so great was that Tank Abbott was a huge of them.

Count me in too as a 3 Count mark. I loved it when Tank Abbott was their manager wearing that shirt with the nipples peaking out. I thought Tank portrayed the "Big Goofy guy who could snap and punch you out at any moment" well.

I also liked The Hurricane during the first few months of the gimmick, it was good for what it was ( a comedy gimmick that opened up the show)

To answer TAP's question, WCW Pro was around until Fall of 98 (The last episode according to DDTDigest was September 27th, 1998)

So, in the mid-90's the authority tree pretty much consisted of...

- J.J. Dillon (executive committee member)

- Roddy Piper (commissioner, acting commissioner)

- Larry Z (owned the rights to Nitro?)

- Dr. Harvey Schiller (TBS rep, fired Bischoff once)

- Bischoff himself

Hey, I actually liked 3 Count. What was so great was that Tank Abbott was a huge of them.

Count me in too as a 3 Count mark. I loved it when Tank Abbott was their manager wearing that shirt with the nipples peaking out. I thought Tank portrayed the "Big Goofy guy who could snap and punch you out at any moment" well.

haha, definately Tank's shining moment. A brilliant theme song too...

"We like the Backstreet Boys, N Sync too, Brittany Spears is kinda cute, we watch the T-R-L on M-T-V, everyone with 3 Count, 1-2-3!"

My favorite 3 Count markout moment was when Shannon/Shane almost went through their song two full times at Spring Stampede 2000 before being blitzed by virtually the whole CW division. It was just so ridiculous to use up 5 minutes or so for that when there was about 12-14 matches to get through that night. I loved it.

Question --- Any particular reason that WCW Worldwide was always a week behind in 2000? Or was it my affiliate that was an ep late? They'd recap stuff that happened 2 weeks ago . . . but I'd stay and watch for Angry Allan Funk and Above Average Mike Sanders' tag match (I believe they called themselves the Reinforcers). Ironic since Funk did 95% of the talking for the team.

Guest new jack 4 prez

What lead to Russo getting fired in octotober was he was planning on having Tank Abbott wining the WCW world title in a battle royal.

Guest CookieMueller

Did Alex Wright have the most comically oversized package of all-time?

BTW, on one of the early pages of this thread, someone asked about a ninja attacking and/or challenging Ricky Steamboat. I remember it, can someone expand on what the deal was?

The ninja ended up being Paul E. Dangerously, that I remember for certain. Maybe the ninja carried that obnoxiously large cellphone...lol

I guess it was setting up an Austin-Steamboat feud? Or a Steamboat/Rhodes-Dangerous Alliance feud? I know it had a point, I just can't remember it. Anyone?

Plus his heat with the TBS censors and other things

Russo was an idiot! How on earth did he ever become involved in wrestling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something I just remembered earlier today:

I seem to remember around '93 or '94-ish, DDP (at least I think it was him) being involved in an angle where he was banned from TBS programming for "cursing" on air. I remember seeing the clip...of course he didn't use any actual swear words, but I think he was going off on whoever was president of WCW at the time. Does anyone know what the heck I'm thinking of?

Did Alex Wright have the most comically oversized package of all-time?

BTW, on one of the early pages of this thread, someone asked about a ninja attacking and/or challenging Ricky Steamboat. I remember it, can someone expand on what the deal was?

The ninja ended up being Paul E. Dangerously, that I remember for certain. Maybe the ninja carried that obnoxiously large cellphone...lol

I guess it was setting up an Austin-Steamboat feud? Or a Steamboat/Rhodes-Dangerous Alliance feud? I know it had a point, I just can't remember it. Anyone?

If I remember correctly, the deal was Steamboat was feuding with the Dangerous Alliance (not sure whom specifically), but started bringing a ninja to ringside to protect himself from DA members running in during his matches. During a match, the ninja hit Steamboat with a phone, and of course ended up being Paul E. I don't think it was revealed who the original ninja was or what happened to him after that. It was more just to advance the feud between Ricky and the DA.

Russo was an idiot! How on earth did he ever become involved in wrestling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That idiot also booked the most successful wrestling promotion on the planet and the largest money drawing feud of all time.

That idiot also booked the most successful wrestling promotion on the planet and the largest money drawing feud of all time.

He wrote it along with Ferrera. He didnt book it. There is an difference. Russo did one thing right in his career and he'll try to convince you that was the norm when it wasn't.

Russo proved he was a complete idiot once he got to do what he wanted to do. McMahon ran the show in 1997-1999 when Russo was taking the credit. Russo can take the credit for using as much of the talent possible but that's about it.

Russo was totally exposed when given full reign in WCW. Not to mention WWF made more money after Russo left.

A picky little tidbit people love to ignore because people perfer to think Austin/McMahon made more money then accepting the reality that Triple H was a key factor in WWE's best year.

Just as people refuse to believe Austin made more $ for WWE then Hogan did.

Man, it took me like 4 hours to read this thread. Thank you all for the education.

-Chui

Guest Jim Ross

Everyone harps on about Taker's loyalty to the WWF...

I also heard that he let WCW know he was interested in jumping ship, only for him to be refused because they didnt want him without the gimmick. Is that true?