TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

April 12 2000 edition of thunder with Sting vs 3 villanos and JJ ended up being one of them. Did WCW fuck up and show the "replay" of Jarrett unmasking before the match even took place? I just watched a mpg of this and I was wondering if thats the way it aired.

Now, that you mention it, I kinda remember that too. Russo's 1st week on the job and they're the production team was already follying up. Then again, they'd have done that even if Russo never showed up.

It was actually post-Russo and took place leading up to Greed. I don't remember exactly what happened but I do know Kanyon attempted to attack Jones in the hospital. Not sure if he was tryin to kill her though.

IIRC, somebody ended up with the contents of a bedpan dumped on them.

Oh the hilarity!

More hilarity from The Death Of WCW...

Not only was the action in the ring becoming atrocious, so was the television production. In particular, the Thunder prior to this show featured one of the most unintentionally hilarious screw-ups ever. Chris Jericho had been spoofing Goldberg by going to the ring for his matches accompanied by fat security guards (one of whom was a real-life ring crew worker who would go on to minor fame as "Ralphus"). The story line this particular evening was that Jericho got lost trying to find his way to the ring and ended up locked outside the building. Unfortunately, the door didn't really lock, so when he pulled on the handle, it opened right up. He quickly closed it and pretended it was locked, pounding on the door and screaming to be let inside. Apparently, someone inside thought he was really locked out, because a door about ten feet away opened, and this dude stuck his head out. Jericho had to pretend like he didn't see him. It gets better. His opponent, Wrath, got sick of waiting in the ring and ran backstage to find Jericho. They did a chase scene outside the building. Finally, they figured the camera was shut off, so Jericho stopped, and Wrath ran past him. Then they both turned and nonchalantly started walking back towards the camera. Problem was, the camera wasn't off, and this whole fiasco was broadcast to millions.

I remember that and just laughing my ass off when Wrath ran by Jericho.

For some reason most of the backstage brawls and segments WCW did ended up being really unintentionally hillarious. They just never figured out they should stop trying to copy WWF with stuff like that if they couldn't get it right.

Remember that brawl between...I think it was the nWo and nWo Wolfpac? I remember Nash throwing punches at Hall and just laughing, and then Hall really exagerrating getting thrown into a wall. It was obvious that none of these guys cared enough to make stuff look real.

More hilarity from The Death Of WCW...

Not only was the action in the ring becoming atrocious, so was the television production. In particular, the Thunder prior to this show featured one of the most unintentionally hilarious screw-ups ever. Chris Jericho had been spoofing Goldberg by going to the ring for his matches accompanied by fat security guards (one of whom was a real-life ring crew worker who would go on to minor fame as "Ralphus"). The story line this particular evening was that Jericho got lost trying to find his way to the ring and ended up locked outside the building. Unfortunately, the door didn't really lock, so when he pulled on the handle, it opened right up. He quickly closed it and pretended it was locked, pounding on the door and screaming to be let inside. Apparently, someone inside thought he was really locked out, because a door about ten feet away opened, and this dude stuck his head out. Jericho had to pretend like he didn't see him. It gets better. His opponent, Wrath, got sick of waiting in the ring and ran backstage to find Jericho. They did a chase scene outside the building. Finally, they figured the camera was shut off, so Jericho stopped, and Wrath ran past him. Then they both turned and nonchalantly started walking back towards the camera. Problem was, the camera wasn't off, and this whole fiasco was broadcast to millions.

I've GOTTA have a clip of this.

God damn these make me laugh every time I read them:

Quote #37

"When they made the stip where Flair got five minutes with Russo, Russo didn't sell it, and then said 'this is where I'm supposed to play chicken shit heel' to zero pop" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 08, 2000

Quote #44

"Funk came out with chickens on both hands like they were boxing gloves" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 22, 2000

Quote #46

"David (Flair) did an interview. It was weird because he was bragging about his long-legged blonde girlfriend and having a Corvette to show he hasn't done badly for himself (his real-life fiancé is Stacy Keibler), which was strange since Daffney was right there as a medium-legged brunette who is supposed to be his girlfriend, but not only that, earlier in this very same show he asked her to marry him." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 22, 2000

Quote #51

"Some notes from 9/12 in Roanoke for the Thunder tapings. Hayabusa was there but was only going to be put on World Wide against The Frog." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 11, 2000

Quote #56

"CNN ran a special on Goldberg on 10/22. They showed Vince Russo and the booking team talking about a Nitro where Bill Goldberg would get revenge on Scott Steiner. Russo had an idea that Steiner would be in the dressing room bleaching his mustache and Goldberg would pour Clorox down Steiner's throat. Ed Ferrara noted that you don't bleach a mustache with Clorox. He then said they could use bleach instead."- The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 30, 2000

Quote #60

"Luger ripped on Mark Madden to start the show. Seems that Luger was mad at Madden for saying his bodyfat percentage has gone up. He made fun of Madden's physique in an unscripted segment Madden didn't know anything about. Luger then brought out Ross Foreman and yelled at him for not having any photos of him in WCW Magazine" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: November 13, 2000

Quote #67

"Beginning this week, Nitro is going head-to-head with Thunder in Australia" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 22, 2001

Quote #68

"Scott Steiner was arrested from an incident at the TV tapings the night before which ended up being edited off television. They were doing a stretcher job deal and Steiner started kicking one of the EMT's, apparently thinking they weren't real EMT's. As it turned out, they used real EMT's, and one of them decided to press (police) charges" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 29, 2001

Quote #74

"They showed a limo pulling up to the arena and the announcers referenced a limo pulling into the arena. Then they cut to a shot inside the limo of Stasiak and Kanyon and in the conversation they talked about arriving at the hospital" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 12, 2001

Quote #75

"The main event on the show, believe it or not, was Flair kissing a donkey" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 2001

Quote #78

"They had La Parka on the ground and drew those chalk lines around him, except he was still laying there. Gene uttered the immortal line to Juvi as he was talking Spanish, 'Don't talk Mexican to me'." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 18, 1999

Quote #83

"Michael Buffer came out for absolutely no reason. See, he was there to announce the main event. But get this, there was no main event. Flair, at this moment, fell out of the turnip truck, grabbed a hoe and kept falling down" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 22, 1999

Quote #86

"There was some heat on Hogan calling the camera man a 'jiggly, jiggly, jew' on Nitro, but eveidently not enough for the segment not to have been replayed on every show during the week" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 15, 1999

Quote #90

"Hart and Bischoff tried to work the people and the wrestlers backstage that the angle was a shoot as they argued backstage with no cameras on in front of the wrestlers, but Bischoff has done that so often now that the wrestlers consider it a pathetic joke and no one bought it" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 05, 1999

Quote #109

"Flair is about to be dropped from the Time Magazine Man of the Century internet balloting where he is currently in second place behind Jesus Christ. More than 20 million people have voted, making it the biggest web poll in history, with Flair getting more than 310,000 votes as of 3/31. Flair is being dropped because Janice Castro, the editor of Time.com, said his showing is due to unfair lobbying from wrestling web sites. Jesus is about to go down as well, as religious organizations have gotten members to flood the ballot box too. Time.com is planning an exit strategy, however with the God of wrestling and the Son of God removed, the big winner in the poll appears to be Adolf Hitler, who would become the front runner" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: April 12, 1999

Guest burth179

In reference to quote #46...

I didn't know that Stacy was actually involved with David Flair in real life.

Or if I did, I sure as hell have forgotten it...

Speaking of David Flair, anyone know if he is still around? I'm sure he's on the indy scene or something? Or did he just quit?

Guest jm29195
Man the Russo-mobile was great. Someone should have a photo of that for their signature.

Hows about this one? :)

Speaking of David Flair, anyone know if he is still around? I'm sure he's on the indy scene or something? Or did he just quit?

He teamed with Tully Blanchard on the 6:05 reunion PPV show about a month ago.

Harlem Heat 2000 was Stevie Ray and the former Ahmed Johnson (Big T) - They were managed by the former Clarence Mason known as J.Biggs. However reading some old WCW results - they also had a member called Cash - who was he?

Also around this time Ernest Miller "The Cat" was hanging aroung with a Mr Jones - Who was he - any pictures or feuds that he was involved in.

Thank You

Mr. Jones was Virgil. Ms. Jones came several months later.

I think it would be kinda cool if Stevie Ray came out of retirement to have a short feud with Booker t.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool
I think it would be kinda cool if Stevie Ray came out of retirement to have a short feud with Booker t.

Stevie sucked since 98 and the 00 Heat fued stunk.

I'd like to see Stevie come back but only in some sort of bodyguard type role. Let him guard Sharmell while Booker is in the ring (they can even play off the recent scuffle with Melina). Put Stevie on the mic as well, he's hilarious. If they want to push it, maybe the occasional Harlem Heat teaming.

I'd like to see Stevie come back but only in some sort of bodyguard type role. Let him guard Sharmell while Booker is in the ring (they can even play off the recent scuffle with Melina). Put Stevie on the mic as well, he's hilarious. If they want to push it, maybe the occasional Harlem Heat teaming.

If this leads to at least one night in which Stevie gets to guest commentate, I'm all for it.

I miss hearing about yaks, and how suckas gots ta know.

David Flair was under a WWE developmental contract for a while, IIRC, but was let go last year.

Hey, remember when Undertaker beat the fuck out of David Flair?

And I've read about Daphnee doing shows for a lot of Indies, and I think she was part of that one really shitty fed that had Nathan Jones as world champ.

Stevie Ray on commentary is one of the greatest things to ever happen in Pro Wrestling.

The brilliance of Stevie Ray on color is that he didn't give a shit about nothing. If you want hilarity at the announce table watch Mayhem 2000 with Schiavonne trying to corral Stevie and Mark Madden.

How about a Booker and Stevie commentary team for one night on SD?

I wouldn't mind a one night Harlem Heat reunion, assuming Stevie Ray is in any kind of decent shape yet. I'm surprised they haven't brought him in to be like a bodyguard/manager to Booker T yet.

I was watching a PBS Frontline documentary from 2000/2001ish in my history class on how corporations market to teenagers and they spent a good five or so minutes talking about how wrestling is one of the highest rated shows amongst males 18-24. And they went to a WCW Thunder taping and they showed clips of a couple of matches and interviewed Chavo Guerrero Jr and Lash LeRoux about what makes wrestling so popular.

Earlier in the episode they talked about how ICP was an example of successful underground marketing to teenagers and in the epilogue they talked about how they signed with a major record label and they also signed with WCW. Then they proceeded to show a clip of "That 70's Guy" Mike Awesome throwing one of the ICP off his bus and through a table.

I just found it weird that I saw WCW clips on a PBS Documentary.

I find it weirder that they had WCW clips from 2000 to illustrate how popular wrestling was at that point. WCW lost about 60 million dollars that year.

I was surpirsed by that too. But I imagine Vince wasn't warm to letting intellectuals showcase his company on a documentary that was basically about how corporations corrupt today's teenagers.

WCW, on the other hand, was probably looking for any publicity they might be able to get. :D

I was watching a PBS Frontline documentary from 2000/2001ish in my history class on how corporations market to teenagers and they spent a good five or so minutes talking about how wrestling is one of the highest rated shows amongst males 18-24. And they went to a WCW Thunder taping and they showed clips of a couple of matches and interviewed Chavo Guerrero Jr and Lash LeRoux about what makes wrestling so popular.

Earlier in the episode they talked about how ICP was an example of successful underground marketing to teenagers and in the epilogue they talked about how they signed with a major record label and they also signed with WCW. Then they proceeded to show a clip of "That 70's Guy" Mike Awesome throwing one of the ICP off his bus and through a table.

I just found it weird that I saw WCW clips on a PBS Documentary.

I saw this too. I believe it's called the Merchants of Cool? I had the exact thoughts you did when watching this in my Mass Media class.