TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Guest Connzilla

I was browsing the internet and found this results to the 9/28/98 edition of Monday Nitro

La Parka pinned Super Calo

The Disciple pinned Sick Boy

Scott Steiner defeated Lenny Lane and Nick Dinsmore

Ernest Miller pinned Psichosis

Disco Inferno pinned Chavo Guerrero Jr.

World Heavyweight Champion, Bill Goldberg, and World Television Champion, Chris Jericho, fought to a No Contest

Scott Hall pinned World Cruiserweight Champion, Billy Kidman

Davey Boy Smith and Alex Wright fought to a No Contest

Kevin Nash defeated Brian Adams by

Lex Luger and Konnan defeated Barry Darsow and Hugh Morrus

Hollywood Hogan fought to a No Contest with Bret Hart and then with Sting.

Is that Nick "Eugene" Dinsmore? and did he have other WCW mathes or was this just a one shot deal?

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Yeah, that's Eugene from Raw. He had other matches for WCW, September/21st/1998 - WCW Nitro: Wrath defeated Nick Dinsmore, September/25th/1998 - WCW Thunder: Ernest Miller defeated Nick Dinsmore.

Guest jm29195
Is that Nick "Eugene" Dinsmore? and did he have other WCW mathes or was this just a one shot deal?

He also played the role of 'Bore-us Malenko', in the Jericho/Dean Malenko feud in early 98....

Guest Connzilla

I found out from reading the Death Of WCW book if NWO Nitro was a succes Thunder would be an all NWO Show and Nitro would be an all WCW show but NWO Nitro was a flop.

remember in late 96/early 97 the nwo took over saturday night and had their guys facing jobbers in squash matches and nash doing commentary IIRC

What I remembe rmostly about the nwo takover of nitro, was Nashs hilarious commentary (Bischoff asked him what he wanted for xmas, and he replied a "big bag of money") and Rick Rude absolutely going off on Sting while doing commentary (he hated sting for "ending his career" as you may know Sting wa sin the ring with Rude when Rude suffered his career ending neck injury in 94)

I know there was rumors of Fusient Media backing out after they realize WCW lost tv but didn't WCW still have Worldwide in syndication? Couldn't they use Worldwide until they found a cable slot? I think Worldwide broadcast the last WCW show ever.

Is it true that WCW was going to become a Las Vegas base(ala to TNA/Orlando) if Fusient brought it?

I still to this day think WCW should of did another "old guys" feud between Hogan and Flair, despite what people might say but that feud they had in 99 was a money maker and produce one of the most entertaining cage matches. People would of paid to see them over Steiner,Booker and JJ.

I know there was rumors of Fusient Media backing out after they realize WCW lost tv but didn't WCW still have Worldwide in syndication? Couldn't they use Worldwide until they found a cable slot? I think Worldwide broadcast the last WCW show ever.

Is it true that WCW was going to become a Las Vegas base(ala to TNA/Orlando) if Fusient brought it?

I still to this day think WCW should of did another "old guys" feud between Hogan and Flair, despite what people might say but that feud they had in 99 was a money maker and produce one of the most entertaining cage matches. People would of paid to see them over Steiner,Booker and JJ.

Whether they had TV or not, the fact remains that WCW was a dead brand by 2001. Vince had clearly gained a solid grip on the industry and what minor portion of the audience WCW had left was almost a complete non-factor. By 2000, WCW had to essentially give away free tickets just to get a crowd in for their tapings. TNA does this now, but they only run the arena in Orlando which barely fits 1000 people, and they have their production is run in such a way that they can do this and still not run at a loss. WCW was running 12,000 seat arenas, still trying to keep up a pretty hi tech production, and was still not selling any tickets or merchandise, and no one was watching at home. The only thing left by 2001 that had any value was the Tape Library, the brand itself was tarnished beyond repair.

Whether they had TV or not, the fact remains that WCW was a dead brand by 2001. Vince had clearly gained a solid grip on the industry and what minor portion of the audience WCW had left was almost a complete non-factor. By 2000, WCW had to essentially give away free tickets just to get a crowd in for their tapings. TNA does this now, but they only run the arena in Orlando which barely fits 1000 people, and they have their production is run in such a way that they can do this and still not run at a loss. WCW was running 12,000 seat arenas, still trying to keep up a pretty hi tech production, and was still not selling any tickets or merchandise, and no one was watching at home. The only thing left by 2001 that had any value was the Tape Library, the brand itself was tarnished beyond repair.

But wasn't there a rumor that if Fusient brought WCW, they would do all the shows from Vegas?

As you can see, that tape library with International tours is what making WWE money. DVD's not as big as it was back then,imagine how much money WCW could of made. WCW still in it's dying days bigger than TNA. Plus, the brand might be tarnished but it still had tradition they could always build on,something TNA lack.

which is all pretty sad, cuz in early 2001, WCW was staring to get better IMO You had aton of new, young talent, a sorta fresh main event scene with Steiner and Booker, the cruiserweight singles and tag division, etc.

Guest Connzilla

Why didn't they do that? They could of expanded it from one hour to two and then start going to smaller arenas that seat from 700 to 2,500 people and just try to make things better as they were really getting better because all the Troubles makers where gone and they finally starting showcasing younger talent and I just miss WCW.

Guest Connzilla

Yeah but at that point WCW should of just had like a two year plan to start over and gradouly make money agian

Remember when the dude from The Wonder Years was gonna buy WCW?

Go on

Jason Hervey, the older brother from Wonder Years worked for WCW because he was a friend of Bischoff. I think he was just going to be a partner of Bischoff. You can see his name in the credits for the different WCW home videos and such.

Guest Connzilla
That's true, but how many other people did, too?

A.J. Styles

A-Train

Aaron Aguilera

Claudio Castagnoli

Diamond Dallas Page

Sting.

Lex Luger.

Scott Steiner.

Rick Steiner.

Lex Luger.

John Tenta.

Scott Riggs.