TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Didn't Alex Wright team up with Disco Inferno towards the end of WCW? I think they were called the boogie knights or something catchy like that

They sure did. In fact, at the tail end of WCW, they split as a team and Wright went back to his well-known techno tune he was famous for.

Didn't Alex Wright team up with Disco Inferno towards the end of WCW? I think they were called the boogie knights or something catchy like that

They sure did. In fact, at the tail end of WCW, they split as a team and Wright went back to his well-known techno tune he was famous for.

Weren't they a team before Wright was Berlyn, or am I wrong?

They formed the Boogie Knights in '98, and even had Japanese sensation Magnum Tokyo as their third man/mascot for a time. Wright switched to the Berlyn gimmick in '99, but they reformed the team when Berlyn was dropped and Wright came back as a heel with a shaved head in 2000, after Disco turned on The Filthy Animals.

Yeah, I remembered Magnum Tokyo/Tokyo Magnum being a pseudo-member with them. I knew it was before Berlyn, because when WCW/nWo Revenge came out for N64, a friend and I were saying how hillarious it would've been for Magnum to be on the cover representing the "Boogie Knights" faction, since all the other major groups were represented.

Most title history sites acknowledge the original WCW Cruiserweight Champion, Shinjiro Ohtani, as having defeated Chris Benoit in the finals of the tournament.

The issue of whether or not there was an actual tournament, or just random matches with WCW cruisers overseas that WCW claimed were "tournament bouts" is not the issue.

The issue is that on the April 22nd Nitro, Eric Bischoff claimed Ohtani eliminated Chris Benoit from the tournament, and that several WCW stars, including Bobby Eaton, Brad Armstrong, and others were still alive in it.

Thus, Ohtani couldn't have defeated Benoit for the title, unless the other side of the bracket ended in a draw.

I remember the announcers putting over Armstrong for staying alive in the double elimination tournament as if he's getting a nice push . . . unfortunately, I don't think any of his 'wins' were televised and he was doing his dutiful jobs as if no tourney was going on. At least he got a CW Title shot at Slamboree 96 because of it.

There was a piece written online about that whole fiasco a few years back. I think it was actually posted on here. I printed it out and saved it, but I just tried finding it again and couldn't. It was a hell of a read and it explained all of the innacuracies etc. Maybe someone can dig it up..

The Undertaker debuted as "Kane the Undertaker" at the 1990 Survivor Series (11/22/90). During the event, held at the Hartford (Connecticut) Civic Center, Ted DiBiase's Million Dollar Team was slated to have a mystery partner to join DiBiase, the Honky Man and Greg Valentine. It was then that DiBiase unveiled Kane the Undertaker, then managed by Brother Love. DiBiase's team defeated the Dream Team, captained by Dusty Rhodes. Rhodes' team consisted of himself, Koko B. Ware and the Hart foundation (Bret "Hitman" Hart and Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart).

Heh, Kane The Undertaker?

HEY, get your WWF hippie questions out of here!

You already bought and ruined WCW, isn't that enough?

('Taker was originally billed as "Kane, The Undertaker" for his initial matches. I dunno, nor care, how long, exactly. Check out TheHistoryofWWE.com.)

I think it's because he was dressed similarly to the character Kane fom Poltergeist. That's probably wrong but I won't listen. He wasn't called "Kane" at SS 1990, I know.

('Taker was originally billed as "Kane, The Undertaker" for his initial matches. I dunno, nor care, how long, exactly. Check out TheHistoryofWWE.com.)

I think it's because he was dressed similarly to the character Kane fom Poltergeist. That's probably wrong but I won't listen. He wasn't called "Kane" at SS 1990, I know.

Eh, it was from that AOL link above.

Does anyone off hand know where I can lyrics to Konnan's rap song that they played about 9 times on every Thunder and Nitro for about a year, and does anyone have a clear MP3 of it? I swear, that song is about up there with "Informer" by Snow on the intelligible lyrics scale.

"Bow Wow Wow" Konan video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYjjpgF76gg

I think the tougher one to understand, with heavy Spanish, would be the one:

"Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust to dust, and before I leave here, believe I'm'a bust."

Sounds like someone would say at a strip club.

Oh My God. Watch this. The Japanese subtitles make it even better. If it's already on here, my apologies.

Who in the name of fuck thought this shit was a good idea?

Most title history sites acknowledge the original WCW Cruiserweight Champion, Shinjiro Ohtani, as having defeated Chris Benoit in the finals of the tournament.

The issue of whether or not there was an actual tournament, or just random matches with WCW cruisers overseas that WCW claimed were "tournament bouts" is not the issue.

The issue is that on the April 22nd Nitro, Eric Bischoff claimed Ohtani eliminated Chris Benoit from the tournament, and that several WCW stars, including Bobby Eaton, Brad Armstrong, and others were still alive in it.

Thus, Ohtani couldn't have defeated Benoit for the title, unless the other side of the bracket ended in a draw.

The issue is that the American portion of the tournament didn't start until March 24 ... four days after Ohtani won the title in the first place.

"Bow Wow Wow" Konan video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYjjpgF76gg

I think the tougher one to understand, with heavy Spanish, would be the one:

"Ashes to ashes, and dust to dust to dust, and before I leave here, believe I'm'a bust."

Sounds like someone would say at a strip club.

the first konann song/video was called "psycho" at least thats how the song is labeled on wcw mayhem the game (and he does say something about going pyscho in the song)

does anyone have disco inferno invading konanns bow wow wow video on youtube?

Sorry to keep this going, but yes, it's true. He wasn't billed as Kane at Series '90, but the following weekend on TV (might have been a couple of weeks later) he was. I remember because I had it on tape and the first time I heard it I almost jumped out of my chair.

Sorry to keep this going, but yes, it's true. He wasn't billed as Kane at Series '90, but the following weekend on TV (might have been a couple of weeks later) he was. I remember because I had it on tape and the first time I heard it I almost jumped out of my chair.

That's fine and dandy....but there's a similar thread, WWF facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot, that's either on the bottom of this page or a page or two back, where that has probably been mentioned three or four times already.

So I'll second Sledge and say "Get out ya WWF hippie!" :D

I was just kiddin', obviously.

Let's get back on track here!

WCW TRIVIA, Late '91

What babyfaces did "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton, who turned heel the week before to join the Dangerous Alliance, reluctantly team with to face The York Foundation on WCW Main Event for the Six-Man Tag Belts? They explained it as "Eaton signed to team with them before alligning with Dangerously (and becoming a bad-guy)."

I'm guessing they taped it before Eaton's heel turn. He wrestles as a face...but decks both of his partners after they lose.

Hint: It was a regular team...

Nope, the Patriots were engaged in a classic feud with The Young Pistols for the WCW U.S. Tag belts at that time. No joke, I was a Pistols mark. The "Loser Leaves WCW for 60 days" match they had on WCW Main Event with The Patriots had me marking out like it was Rock/Hogan.

Nope, Pillman was working singles bouts primarily as the new (and first) WCW World Light Heavyweight Champion and Zenk was a lower mid-carder who occassionally teamed/help rookie Marcus Alexander Bagwell against random jobbers at this time.

Pillman & Zenk only teamed in 1992 when WCW was trying to play up their friendshp and former run as WCW U.S. Tag Champs as they rolled into the WrestleWar '92 PPV where Pillman defended the Light Heavyweight Title against Zenk.