TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

WCW facts, tidbits, and stuff people forgot

Scott was indeed back, and teaming with Rick to face WCW World Champion Lex Luger (Rick was Luger's #1 contender for two months) and Mr. Hughes. They dominated Luger & Hughes, but Rick never could beat Lex, except for an inpromptu challenge on WCW Worldwide in which he pinned the champion.

The answer: Michaels Hayes & Jimmy Garvin - The Fabulous Freebirds

The finish saw Hayes accidently hit his trademark left punch on Eaton, then the York Foundation score a roll-up to retain the title. After the match, Hayes apologized to Eaton, who delivered his OWN trademark left hand (Hayes and Eaton had the left punch gimmick) to both Hayes and Garvin and left them laying!

By the way:

On the June 10th, 1996 Nitro, they were showing a recap video for the Sullivan/Benoit feud heading into the Great American Bash. They aired Sullivan/Pillman from SuperBrawl VI, the end of it, complete with the "I RESPECT YOU, BOOKERMAN!" line. Wonder why they kept that in?

That's strange, because I'm pretty sure by that time Pillman had signed with WWF. Actually, I know that night they aired a WWF Superstar Line ad teasing info on Pillman coming to WWF. By that weekend's shows they announced that he had signed.

Of course, since it was WCW, the people doing the video editing probably didn't even know he was gone.

How did Jericho come up w/ his "Jericho 4 Greenberg 0" shirt?

I know he got win #1 at Fall Brawl 1998 over the mini-Goldberg. I do remember a Thunder after it was announced that Goldberg wasn't in the building several times, Jericho stormed the ring and made the ref in the ring count him out and raise his hand. But that still leaves 2 wins unaccounted for. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I just got ahold of an excellent Brian Pillman (1988-1992) compilation DVD, "Flyin' Brian Pillman", so I'll be reviewing that soon.

It has a lot of rare stuff, U.S. Tag Tourney matches w/ Zenk, interviews w/ Flair & Woman, TV Vs. Flair, Clash Vs. Luger NY Knockout, Capital Combat, 2 matches w/ Eddie Gilbert from '89, some Stampede footage, and lots more rare stuff.

It was produced right after the WWE Pillman DVD was announced, so it features stuff like Pillman/Luger Clash Nov. 89, as opposed to Pillman/Luger Oct. 89 Halloween Havoc, which is already released on mainstream DVD. Thus far, it's awesome.

Cool fact: Popular "real song" entrance music like Gilbert's "Hot Stuff" (Donna Summers) and Pillman's "Rocket" by Def Leppard were used on TV broadcasts without a problem during the 1980's, NOT just on PPV broadcasts. So ECW needs to keep quiet about "inventing" that aspect of wrestling. Wonder how Turner got all them licensing rights? i.e. Steiners "Welcome to the Jungle" by GnR, Doom's "Her Strut"

Does anyone still have the link to the video of Bret Hart's "Who Are You to Question El Dandy!?" Promo?

I'm still trying to figure out why people like that promo. I seen it LIVE and about a hundred times over and over again. Maybe it some kind of insiders thing but people always mention this.

Hearing Bret Hart belt out "He's a high flyer of the highest magnitude!" was enough to make it a great promo to me.

Plus, Gene's job of defending the luchadors w/o putting them over was masterful.

Quick question; were there any future plans for The Ultimate Warrior after Halloween Havoc '98? Or did they just assume he'd flip out again and leave?

Around the time of Havoc, the decision was made to just get the Hogan match done with and then absorb Warrior's contract and let it run out. The best being that I think Warrior managed to get himself a better deal before the Havoc match. In any event, I don't think much thought was given what to do with Warrior after Havoc, because the main reason he was even brought in was for Hogan to get his win back.

I would assume he would've allied with the likes of Sting and Goldberg against the nWo, but who knows for sure? If they knew he probably wouldn't be around long term, it sounds idiotic that they would've given him such a huge guaranteed contract, but this was WCW...

He builds it up only to say El Dandy and then back it up with Hypnosis (Psychosis).

Oddly enough there is a wrestler named Hypnosis/Hipnosis

I wanna share an AWESOME Four Horsemen moment from January 1997:

On Nitro, Okerlund introduces the Horsemen. Out come Flair (injured), Arn (injured), McMichael, and Debra.

Arn's all "Where's Benoit & Woman?"

Flair says "After being married to the devil for 10 years, Woman deserves a night off. Benoit is working Woman over right now, Horsemen style, WHOOOOO!" Okerlund's look is priceless.

Debra says Woman is ugly and fat and plays an awesome bitchy dumb blonde. Blah blah, Flair, Arn, "Steven" and her never missed a matchm game, or beauty pageant. Jeff Jarrett deserves to be a Horseman, not Benoit. Benoit should "take Woman to a fat farm for a few years".

Jeff comes out. He wants to be a full-time Horseman. Dump Benoit.

Arn interrupts. 'Cause Benoit's his boy. Back the fuck up Jarrett.

Jarrett: "You know, Arn. You've played second fiddle all your career. To Ole, to Tully, and to Flair. I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO THE HORSE'S ASS. I WANT TO TALK TO THE HEAD...

:::::::*BAM*::::::::::

Anderson decks him and kicks the crap out of him, starting an impromptu match, that Jarrett wins by cheating.

Afterwards Steve is pissed at Flair for yelling at Debra. Debra loves Jeff. Steve is mad at Debra. Arn is sick of everything. Flair's throwing a tantrum.

Crowd was red hot for all of it.

Guest Untitled
Flair says "After being married to the devil for 10 years, Woman deserves a night off. Benoit is working Woman over right now, Horsemen style, WHOOOOO!" Okerlund's look is priceless.

HAHAHA. Flair doesn't really get the difference between on-screen characters and off-screen actions, does he?

Flair's purpose on Nitro in 1996, the first half anyway, was to insinuate he, Benoit, or some Horsemen member was having sex that night. Or that Savage wasn't getting any.

Wait 'til he hits Syxx with the legendary "...piece of asses, pal!" line from 1997.

HAHAHA. Flair doesn't really get the difference between on-screen characters and off-screen actions, does he?

Having interviewed him for a feature I was writing a couple years ago, I can say with great confidence that you're damn right. The man is just always ON. It's uncanny. I talked with a couple other prominent figures that day, and you could tell they're very different people from what they portray on TV. Flair? Hell no. He lives the gimmick. He came strutting through the doors, hair fixed up, toothpick in his mouth, custom suit on and I felt like he was cutting a promo on me at times. Still have the interview on tape, and the "Woooo!" he gave me is easily one of the top two or three highlights of my career.

Guest LividLiquid

There was a question many pages back that I didn't get a quote of, but on which I can now shed some light.

Somebody wanted to know who two guys were in 99 or so who came out in with stockings over their heads and beat somebody down.

The thing is, this is a little backwards. It was a tag team wearing stockings on their faces, yes, and there was a beatdown, sure, but they were the ones beat down. By Kevin Nash. That tag team's name?

The Master Blasters. They were never seen nor heard from again. Kevin was booking at the time, so likely named them this as a joke.

Funny, no?

RE: Alex Wright

I believe Wright had a serious stroke or aneurysm. However, he recovered and was repackaged as Berlyn.

I too liked Wright. His dancing was funny, as were his "I am German Beauty!" promos. He was slightly vanilla in the ring, but everything he did was crisp and he wrestled with energy.

Disco always seemed like a really funny guy. And he had a forehead second only to Dreamer's.

Having interviewed him for a feature I was writing a couple years ago, I can say with great confidence that you're damn right. The man is just always ON. It's uncanny. I talked with a couple other prominent figures that day, and you could tell they're very different people from what they portray on TV. Flair? Hell no. He lives the gimmick. He came strutting through the doors, hair fixed up, toothpick in his mouth, custom suit on and I felt like he was cutting a promo on me at times. Still have the interview on tape, and the "Woooo!" he gave me is easily one of the top two or three highlights of my career.

The company I work for does online video content for college sports, and we have Flair being interviewed on the sideline of a South Carolina football game. He's wasted off his ass and is totally in Nature Boy mode. Cuts a program about why USC is the best college football in the nation, and why Steve Spurrier is coach of the year, complete with WOOOOOOOOOOOOOs.

I also liked Alex Wright. I was intrigued by the rumors of a heel turn to join a new version of the Horsemen in '95 (the formation of which wound up being the Flair/Arn/Pillman/Benoit grouping). IIRC he was also rumored to be a part of Pillman's rogues once he and Benoit turned on Flair and Arn. Flair loved Wright, so was wanting to push him big-time.

I also liked Alex Wright. I was intrigued by the rumors of a heel turn to join a new version of the Horsemen in '95 (the formation of which wound up being the Flair/Arn/Pillman/Benoit grouping). IIRC he was also rumored to be a part of Pillman's rogues once he and Benoit turned on Flair and Arn. Flair loved Wright, so was wanting to push him big-time.

I as well was an Alex Wright fan. I even liked him teaming with Disco Inferno as The Boogie Knights with Tokyo Magnum as their sidekick.

I always thought he got a bit of a raw deal. Each time he was about to get a big push some hasbeen veteran stood in his way (Roma in 95 and Duggan and Bagwell in 99)

Guest LividLiquid
I also liked Alex Wright. I was intrigued by the rumors of a heel turn to join a new

I as well was an Alex Wright fan. I even liked him teaming with Disco Inferno as The Boogie Knights with Tokyo Magnum as their sidekick.

When Disco and Wright teamed with Tokyo Magnum, they were known as the Dancin' Fools. It was only years later, after the Berlyn gimmick was botched, that they became known as the Boogie Knights.

He still got pushed beyond the Roma deal, but he didn't get a fair shake as Berlyn.

I thought the Berlyn gimmick, with the whole refusing to speak English thing was great. I read somewhere it was killed or slowed because of Columbine. I wonder how true that is, or if it was a typical power play by one of the WCW big boys.

QUOTE(TheFranchise @ Dec 13 2006, 09:58 PM)

He builds it up only to say El Dandy and then back it up with Hypnosis (Psychosis).

Oddly enough there is a wrestler named Hypnosis/Hipnosis

As much as I think that promo is hilarious, wasn't it a borderline burial? I'm not sure how I feel about that, especially with how much I've ragged on DX about burials the last few months.

I have to see this.

Wait 'til he hits Syxx with the legendary "...piece of asses, pal!" line from 1997.

And I absoluelty have to see this.